- First charter school strike in nation eyes Day 2 as Acero teachers walk out
- Dec 5, 6:55 AM: The historic Acero charter-schools strike is set to enter its second day Wednesday as teachers plan to hit picket lines at Acero’s campuses by 6:30 a.m., the teachers union said late Tuesday.
- Chicago educators at Acero charter schools go on strike, a first for the independently operated campuses
- > Dec 4, 8:26 AM: Hundreds of educators at the city’s Acero charter schools walked off the job Tuesday morning, halting classes for 7,500 predominantly Latino students and launching the nation’s first strike over a contract at the
- Charter school movement may slow amid growing union influence, new political leadership
- > Dec 4, 7:25 AM: Chicago’s pro-charter mayor is stepping down, raising the prospect of a new direction for the city’s enormous school district. The Chicago Board of Education is expected to deny three new charter applications and close two
- CPS targets just one school with no kids in first year after closing moratorium
- > Dec 3, 8:27 AM: In the first round of school actions after a five-year moratorium on closing schools ended, Chicago Public Schools officials announced Friday they’ll seek to close just one Englewood high school already empty of students.
- Will suburban schools opt for e-learning on snow days?
- Dec 3, 7:35 AM: What if instead of snowball fights and tobogganing down sledding hills on a snow day, students could use those hours more productively learning in an online classroom?
- SIUE East St. Louis Charter High School hosts its first college fair
- > Nov 26, 7:18 AM: A fair that covers the ABC’s of college is a valuable tool and Monday, Nov. 19 was the first time the Southern Illinois University Edwardsville East St. Louis Charter High School (CHS), in partnership with the Greater East
- Editorial: Illinois students need more — not fewer — choices
- > Nov 19, 5:53 AM: Soon Illinois no longer will have a governor dedicated to giving students and their parents greater choices in their education. Gov-elect J.B. Pritzker favors a moratorium on charter growth and says he will scrap a state
- Teachers at Acero charter schools in Chicago call for Dec. 4 strike if no deal on new contract
- > Nov 15, 8:29 AM: Teachers at a group of charter schools in Chicago say they'll go on strike next month if their demands for a new contract aren’t met, setting a date for what could be the latest in a string of job actions that have
- Getting accepted to Chicago's top colleges is harder than ever, new report says
- > Nov 14, 6:02 AM: Getting into Northwestern University or the University of Chicago has never been easy. But these days, it’s even harder — and the degree of difficulty has increased more at these two local schools than anywhere in the
- JWCC online learning program ranked No. 6
- > Nov 5, 7:26 AM: John Wood Community College's online learning program now ranks among the state's best. JWCC is ranked No. 6 among the 48 community colleges in Illinois by the Community for Accredited Online Schools website.
- Teachers at four more Chicago charter schools join strike threat
- Nov 5, 7:22 AM: Teachers at four Chicago International Charter School locations voted on Friday to authorize a possible strike, joining the Acero charter school teachers who voted in favor of a strike threat on Tuesday.
- State’s new school report cards at odds with CPS’ own ratings
- > Nov 1, 7:00 AM: The state’s new report cards for public schools around Illinois, released Tuesday, pose a conundrum for parents of kids at Chicago Public Schools, which unveiled its own ratings last week: Which metric should they
- Acero charter network teachers authorize a strike amid ongoing contract negotiations
- > Oct 31, 6:23 AM: Unionized teachers at the city’s Acero charter schools said Tuesday that members voted to approve a strike amid contract negotiations with a network that educates about 7,500 predominantly Latino students.
- Letter: Teachers union gets it wrong again on charter schools
- > Oct 31, 5:19 AM: Charters are proud to be part of the Chicago public school system, contributing to increased graduation rates and post-secondary success. By imposing the same restrictions on charter’s length of school day, curriculum, and
- No more 'failing': New state report card data rates schools, measures students' growth
- > Oct 31, 5:09 AM: Suburban educators and parents have long lamented inadequate funding for schools struggling to help the neediest students succeed. Now, they can make a stronger case for resources and funding armed with new data in the
- Could new CPS ratings halt South Loop H.S., save National Teachers Academy?
- > Oct 29, 6:46 AM: New Chicago Public Schools ratings released Friday are threatening to derail a controversial plan to open a high school at the South Loop site of a top-performing elementary that would be shuttered under the plan.
- Chicago Public Schools enrollment drops by 10,000 students
- Oct 29, 6:41 AM: Chicago Public Schools this fall recorded one of the sharpest single-year enrollment declines since the district’s student population began a steady downturn 16 years ago..
- Teachers to vote next week on possible strike at 19 Chicago charter schools
- Oct 25, 5:21 AM: Teachers at 19 Chicago charter schools will hold strike authorization votes next week that could open the door to the first-ever work stoppage at any charter school in the nation.
- Why charter school teachers are preparing for a historic strike vote
- > Oct 23, 4:48 AM: Chicago Teachers Union charter educators have been presenting their demands this fall for educational equity directly to charter operators, and there’s a telling sign of the situation these educators face: At least one of
- Rural schools tackle biggest costs with creative solutions
- > Oct 22, 4:53 AM: Policy makers don’t always recognize the transportation costs for rural districts, where hundreds of miles have to be driven morning and night, said David Ardrey, executive director of the Association of Illinois Rural and
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Quad City Times 100%
- Woodford Times - Online 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Rock River Times - Online 17%
- Chicago Tribune - Online/ Associated Press 17%