- Nation's first charter school strike ends, but could portend more battles on choice
- > Dec 10, 8:53 AM: Teachers and administrators agreed Sunday to suspend the nation’s first-ever charter school strike, ending a four-day work stoppage at one of the largest charter networks in Chicago. But the fight could portend more to
- Charter school teachers to return to work Monday after tentative agreement reached
- > Dec 10, 6:47 AM: Hundreds of elated Acero charter school educators decked out in union red cheered, chanted and danced at a Sunday afternoon rally to celebrate their historic victory: a tentative contract agreement with management that
- The Charter-School Teachers’ Strike in Chicago Was ‘Inevitable’
- Dec 7, 8:58 AM: The move could signal a shift in the long, contentious relationship between teachers’ unions and these privately run schools.
- Lawmakers target charter schools as Acero strike heads closer to settlement
- > Dec 7, 7:17 AM: As the nation’s first charter-school strike continued for a third day, hundreds of CTU members chanted and blew whistles at the headquarters of the Illinois Network of Charter Schools, 150 N. Michigan Ave., Thursday
- Pressure to end nation's 1st charter strike ratchets up as foes trade barbs
- Dec 6, 7:21 AM: Charter school teachers hit the picket lines for the second day in a row as union and charter supporters traded verbal jabs at a meeting of the Chicago Board of Education Wednesday.
- Parents line up to push back against Chicago’s cold shoulder to charters
- > Dec 6, 7:10 AM: The parents voiced support for their individual networks’ charter renewals and, more broadly, countered the week’s prevailing anti-charter narrative with personal stories of college perseverance, tailor-fit solutions to
- First charter school strike in nation eyes Day 2 as Acero teachers walk out
- Dec 5, 6:55 AM: The historic Acero charter-schools strike is set to enter its second day Wednesday as teachers plan to hit picket lines at Acero’s campuses by 6:30 a.m., the teachers union said late Tuesday.
- Chicago educators at Acero charter schools go on strike, a first for the independently operated campuses
- > Dec 4, 8:26 AM: Hundreds of educators at the city’s Acero charter schools walked off the job Tuesday morning, halting classes for 7,500 predominantly Latino students and launching the nation’s first strike over a contract at the
- Charter school movement may slow amid growing union influence, new political leadership
- > Dec 4, 7:25 AM: Chicago’s pro-charter mayor is stepping down, raising the prospect of a new direction for the city’s enormous school district. The Chicago Board of Education is expected to deny three new charter applications and close two
- CPS targets just one school with no kids in first year after closing moratorium
- > Dec 3, 8:27 AM: In the first round of school actions after a five-year moratorium on closing schools ended, Chicago Public Schools officials announced Friday they’ll seek to close just one Englewood high school already empty of students.
- Will suburban schools opt for e-learning on snow days?
- Dec 3, 7:35 AM: What if instead of snowball fights and tobogganing down sledding hills on a snow day, students could use those hours more productively learning in an online classroom?
- SIUE East St. Louis Charter High School hosts its first college fair
- > Nov 26, 7:18 AM: A fair that covers the ABC’s of college is a valuable tool and Monday, Nov. 19 was the first time the Southern Illinois University Edwardsville East St. Louis Charter High School (CHS), in partnership with the Greater East
- Editorial: Illinois students need more — not fewer — choices
- > Nov 19, 5:53 AM: Soon Illinois no longer will have a governor dedicated to giving students and their parents greater choices in their education. Gov-elect J.B. Pritzker favors a moratorium on charter growth and says he will scrap a state
- Teachers at Acero charter schools in Chicago call for Dec. 4 strike if no deal on new contract
- > Nov 15, 8:29 AM: Teachers at a group of charter schools in Chicago say they'll go on strike next month if their demands for a new contract aren’t met, setting a date for what could be the latest in a string of job actions that have
- Getting accepted to Chicago's top colleges is harder than ever, new report says
- > Nov 14, 6:02 AM: Getting into Northwestern University or the University of Chicago has never been easy. But these days, it’s even harder — and the degree of difficulty has increased more at these two local schools than anywhere in the
- JWCC online learning program ranked No. 6
- > Nov 5, 7:26 AM: John Wood Community College's online learning program now ranks among the state's best. JWCC is ranked No. 6 among the 48 community colleges in Illinois by the Community for Accredited Online Schools website.
- Teachers at four more Chicago charter schools join strike threat
- Nov 5, 7:22 AM: Teachers at four Chicago International Charter School locations voted on Friday to authorize a possible strike, joining the Acero charter school teachers who voted in favor of a strike threat on Tuesday.
- State’s new school report cards at odds with CPS’ own ratings
- > Nov 1, 7:00 AM: The state’s new report cards for public schools around Illinois, released Tuesday, pose a conundrum for parents of kids at Chicago Public Schools, which unveiled its own ratings last week: Which metric should they
- Acero charter network teachers authorize a strike amid ongoing contract negotiations
- > Oct 31, 6:23 AM: Unionized teachers at the city’s Acero charter schools said Tuesday that members voted to approve a strike amid contract negotiations with a network that educates about 7,500 predominantly Latino students.
- Letter: Teachers union gets it wrong again on charter schools
- > Oct 31, 5:19 AM: Charters are proud to be part of the Chicago public school system, contributing to increased graduation rates and post-secondary success. By imposing the same restrictions on charter’s length of school day, curriculum, and
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Quad City Times 100%
- Woodford Times - Online 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Rock River Times - Online 17%
- Chicago Tribune - Online/ Associated Press 17%