- For the first time, school report cards show spending per student. Here's why it varies.
School rivalries often are about which school has the best sports team, the brightest students and the most resources. Now, for the first time, parents also can compare how much money individual schools spend to educate >
Oct 31, 6:50 AM:
- Have CPS parents changed their minds about the teachers strike? We asked.
- Oct 31, 5:26 AM: Some CPS parents are fed up, saying they’ve had enough of missed sporting events and worry the strike will negatively affect performance on Advanced Placement or college entrance exams.
- Editorial: This CTU strike has betrayed Chicago’s children
- Oct 30, 7:06 AM: It’s wrong that CTU has kept students locked out of school in order to advance its political ambitions. It’s wrong, and it’s a betrayal of Chicago’s children.
- Chicago teachers strike to continue Wednesday despite mayor’s latest offer
- Oct 30, 7:02 AM: Chicago teachers are carrying on with their strike while they consider Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s latest contract proposal, meaning 300,000 students will miss their 10th day of classes Wednesday.
- Teachers Crossing Picket Lines
- > Oct 29, 7:07 AM: Since mid-September, there have been seven teachers strikes in Illinois. Two of those are still going. In that time, hundreds of teachers have crossed their unions’ picket lines to return to work. What happens to them when
- Opinion: Tired of the teachers strike? Remember that charter schools are an option
- > Oct 29, 6:59 AM: The teachers’ union strike has put some 300,000 Chicago children and families in limbo. With traditional schools open but no teachers present, few families have sent students to district schools, and most are scrambling to
- 16 hours of CPS negotiations not enough to end teachers strike
- > Oct 29, 6:58 AM: A marathon bargaining session that lasted 16 hours and kept city and union officials at the table until 2 a.m. was not enough to end Chicago’s teachers strike and put the city’s 300,000 students back in school.
- As CTU contract talks stall, Lightfoot says union won’t ‘take yes for an answer’
- Oct 28, 7:10 AM: CPS officials said that CTU’s demands above the district’s latest offer would cost $100 million, but the union says the gap is closer to $38 million.
- Editorial: Why Chicago teachers won’t take ‘yes’ for an answer
- > Oct 25, 6:53 AM: We’d submit many Chicagoans are. We hear from them. There’s a silent majority quietly rooting for Lightfoot, who won every city ward in the April mayoral election, in this strike. But many of those Chicagoans are afraid to
- CPS strike updates: Classes canceled again Friday, but Chicago Teachers Union, city report progress after Thursday’s talks
- > Oct 25, 6:41 AM: The Chicago Teachers Union struck a notably more optimistic chord late Thursday on the sixth school day of its strike, with Chief of Staff Jennifer Johnson saying “today was a good day” in negotiations with progress and
- Parents sound off to school board about teachers strike in Mendota
- > Oct 25, 6:23 AM: Every chair was filled in Thursday’s night school board meeting with parents anxious to voice their opinion. Teachers from District 289 have been on strike for seven days and will continue to strike on Friday and parents
- Parents share mixed reactions to Chicago Teachers Union strike: ‘I just felt sad that we’ve gotten to this point.’
- > Oct 25, 5:21 AM: Hall, who emphasized that she wasn't siding with the union or Lightfoot, said she's concerned only with what's best for the students. “This is beginning to hurt the children,” she said. “The best interest of the kids is to
- Strike taking a toll on family finances, workers say — and things are about to get worse
- Oct 24, 8:23 AM: As the days without pay add up for striking teachers, security guards and other school workers, many say they are starting to feel the pinch in their pocketbooks.
- How CPS parents are making do during the teachers strike
- > Oct 23, 8:19 AM: A mom who works the night shift struggling to get enough sleep while her kids are home during the day. A grandfather who’s pitching in while his daughter works. Out-of-state relatives driving in to help with childcare.
- CPS strike: Chicago Teachers Union wants class size caps. Are smaller classes worth the cost to taxpayers?
- > Oct 23, 8:16 AM: Proponents of reducing class sizes argue that, in early elementary grades in particular, it’s one of the few interventions proven to improve student outcomes. Surveys of teachers also consistently find that they rank
- Thousands Of CPS Teachers To Rally During Budget Address
- > Oct 23, 8:14 AM: Chicago teachers will shift from the picket lines in front of schools to what’s expected to be a massive rally near Thompson Center. Chicago Public School teachers plan to be front and center when Mayor Lori Lightfoot
- How CPS Strike is Impacting High School Seniors Applying for College
- Oct 23, 7:27 AM: The strike is raising specific concerns for some high school seniors like Emely Gramajo. The Solorio Academy High School student is hoping she can make her parents proud.
- Chicago Teachers Union: ‘The Mayor Today Has Dashed Our Hopes For A Quick Settlement’
- > Oct 22, 7:30 AM: Chicago Teachers Union President Jesse Sharkey said he had thought until Monday that there had been progress toward a settlement, so that a teachers’ strike that started Thursday would end on short order. But after Mayor
- Editorial: Chicago Teachers Union puts the squeeze on Mayor Lori Lightfoot, and taxed-out taxpayers
- > Oct 22, 7:27 AM: As Chicago teachers marched into Week Two of their strike Monday, Chicago Teachers Union leaders pursued their strategy of moving the goal posts. One indicator: Contract demands that started with pay now include rent
- Teacher strike at Passages Charter School in Edgewater on North Side begins Tuesday
- Oct 22, 6:35 AM: A second CTU strike is set to begin Tuesday morning at charter school in Edgewater on the North Side.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Quad City Times 100%
- Woodford Times - Online 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Rock River Times - Online 17%
- Chicago Tribune - Online/ Associated Press 17%