- 4 charter schools will open in Valley this fall. Is one of them right for your child?
- > Feb 19, 6:40 AM: Henning is the executive director and guiding spirit behind Peace Valley Charter, one of six new charter campuses set to open in Idaho this fall in a spurt of charter school creation not seen in more than a decade. Four of
- House Education introduces new private school scholarship bill
- Feb 15, 7:40 AM: The House Education Committee voted Wednesday to introduce a bill that would create new scholarships students could use to pursue an education outside the public school system.
- Students reject online classes, split schedules as solution for overcrowded classrooms
- Feb 8, 7:15 AM: High school students in Sioux Falls would rather see new buildings than creative scheduling or online classes as a solution to overcrowded classrooms.
- Minidoka County School District Board approves new charter school
- Jan 29, 6:50 AM: The Minidoka County School District Board approved a new charter school called the Advanced Regional Technical Education Coalition Industrial, or ARTEC-I.
- Why do parents choose charter schools? 3 families share their experiences
- > Jan 26, 8:02 AM: Whether it’s smaller class sizes, the opportunity to play an instrument in a school orchestra or the chance to learn outdoors, parents have many reasons for choosing a charter school for their children.
- Parents vent about school-of-choice elimination at school board meeting
- Jan 24, 6:57 AM: At least 100 people attended the meeting to provide feedback to the board regarding the proposed boundary changes and the board's recent decision to end its 20-plus-year school-of-choice policy.
- District 25 eliminates school-of-choice policy, tables changes to boundaries
- Jan 18, 8:03 AM: Rather than giving students an option, all incoming high school students — starting next year — must attend the school that corresponds to the boundary where their primary residence is located.
- ‘Virtual High School’ is an option of Idaho students
- Jan 17, 6:57 AM: The Boise-based charter school is one of six accredited public online schools in the state. In 2016, around 4,500 students attended virtual schools, according to the Idaho Public Charter School Commission.
- ‘Packed into this space’: Xavier Charter School eyes future school expansion
- > Dec 12, 6:22 AM: The current building — which houses 708 kindergarten through 12th graders — is overcrowded. There’s a huge waiting list of 287 children. There isn’t enough classroom space and the building wasn’t designed to accommodate
- Pocatello-Chubbuck patrons push back at prospect of nixing 'school of choice' policy
- Dec 6, 6:25 AM: The Pocatello-Chubbuck School District is facing blowback from patrons over the prospect of nixing its “school of choice” policy and carving up new mandatory boundaries for high schoolers.
- Pathways In Education provides alternative education to struggling Nampa students
- Nov 27, 7:21 AM: Pathways In Education Charter School opened in August and offers a unique form of education in the Nampa School District, English teacher Carrie Cook said.
- Idaho continues to face teacher shortage
- Nov 22, 7:43 AM: Many feel Idaho's teacher shortage isn't getting any better, and in a number of school districts the applicant pool is shrinking.
- Committee recommends termination of D-25 school of choice policy
- Nov 16, 6:16 AM: It’s now up to the Pocatello/Chubbuck School District’s Board of Trustees to determine if eighth-grade graduates can choose what high school to attend regardless of where they live.
- Charter school gives teens an alternative option
- > Nov 15, 7:16 AM: The school serves teens who need help to get back on track to graduate. Pathways in Education is part of a larger organization of Pathways schools across the United States, including Arizona, Illinois, Louisiana and
- Proposed Waldorf school earns state charter with conditions
- Nov 14, 6:50 AM: The Idaho Public Charter School Commission has approved the proposed Peace Valley Charter School with conditions. School leadership will go back before the commission on Dec. 14 to review the conditions.
- Gem Prep Charter announces two new school locations
- > Nov 10, 7:55 AM: Gem Prep Charter School announced two new school locations will open in Nampa and Meridian. The new Nampa school will be in the area of 340 W. Iowa Ave., although an official postal address will be confirmed later.
- 97 percent of teachers earn top marks on latest evaluations
- > Sep 28, 6:02 AM: An Idaho Education News analysis of teacher evaluation data maintained by the State Department of Education found that more than 97 percent of the state’s 17,635 teachers earned one of the top two overall scores of
- Major changes eyed in Idaho public school funding plan
- > Sep 25, 6:57 AM: During a daylong meeting Friday in Boise, the committee began narrowing proposals for the 2018 legislative session. Topping the list is the shift to student-based funding, which would distribute state dollars according to
- Charter schools can't bond for buildings. Here's how Heritage Academy in Jerome paid off its mortgage
- > Sep 13, 6:21 AM: Paying off a school mortgage is big feat, especially in just six years. Unlike traditional public schools in Idaho, charter schools like Heritage Academy can’t bring a bond or levy measure to voters for facility needs. It
- Alternative high school in West Ada recognized for online learning program
- Sep 12, 5:53 AM: The Rebound School of Opportunity in the West Ada School District is just that -- a second chance for students to earn a high school diploma.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Coeur D'Alene Press - Online 78%
- Bonner County Daily Bee 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Times-News - Online / Associated Press 17%
- Morning News - Online, The 33%