- Committee recommends termination of D-25 school of choice policy
- Nov 16, 6:16 AM: It’s now up to the Pocatello/Chubbuck School District’s Board of Trustees to determine if eighth-grade graduates can choose what high school to attend regardless of where they live.
- Charter school gives teens an alternative option
- > Nov 15, 7:16 AM: The school serves teens who need help to get back on track to graduate. Pathways in Education is part of a larger organization of Pathways schools across the United States, including Arizona, Illinois, Louisiana and
- Proposed Waldorf school earns state charter with conditions
- Nov 14, 6:50 AM: The Idaho Public Charter School Commission has approved the proposed Peace Valley Charter School with conditions. School leadership will go back before the commission on Dec. 14 to review the conditions.
- Gem Prep Charter announces two new school locations
- > Nov 10, 7:55 AM: Gem Prep Charter School announced two new school locations will open in Nampa and Meridian. The new Nampa school will be in the area of 340 W. Iowa Ave., although an official postal address will be confirmed later.
- 97 percent of teachers earn top marks on latest evaluations
- > Sep 28, 6:02 AM: An Idaho Education News analysis of teacher evaluation data maintained by the State Department of Education found that more than 97 percent of the state’s 17,635 teachers earned one of the top two overall scores of
- Major changes eyed in Idaho public school funding plan
- > Sep 25, 6:57 AM: During a daylong meeting Friday in Boise, the committee began narrowing proposals for the 2018 legislative session. Topping the list is the shift to student-based funding, which would distribute state dollars according to
- Charter schools can't bond for buildings. Here's how Heritage Academy in Jerome paid off its mortgage
- > Sep 13, 6:21 AM: Paying off a school mortgage is big feat, especially in just six years. Unlike traditional public schools in Idaho, charter schools like Heritage Academy can’t bring a bond or levy measure to voters for facility needs. It
- Alternative high school in West Ada recognized for online learning program
- Sep 12, 5:53 AM: The Rebound School of Opportunity in the West Ada School District is just that -- a second chance for students to earn a high school diploma.
- Meridian will get a new charter school next year, with 2 adults in each class
- > Aug 29, 4:52 AM: Gem Prep: Meridian will be the fourth public charter school operated by Gem Innovation Schools. It joins the ranks of Idaho Distance Education Academy, also know as I-DEA, which opened in 2004; Gem Prep: Pocatello, opened
- Charter commission approves Gem Prep: Meridian petition
- > Aug 24, 6:02 AM: The free public charter school will be the fourth in a network of schools run by Gem Innovation Schools, Idaho’s first charter management organization. The organization also operates Gem Prep: Nampa, which opened last
- Twin Falls School District will provide free online classes for homeschoolers
- > Aug 1, 6:57 AM: The partnership essentially allows homeschoolers the flexibility to pick and choose their curriculum and online classes, and have support from the Twin Falls School District. And it allows the district to receive state
- Idaho school savings accounts top $250 million
- Jul 26, 6:31 AM: Idaho school districts and charter schools stashed more than $250 million in 2016. The unspent money, up roughly $35 million from 2015, resides in fund balances, or district savings accounts.
- Next Gem Prep charter school in the works for Meridian
- > Jun 29, 5:54 AM: The group is seeking a state charter for the new school, but the petition had to go through the local school district first. Gem Innovation Schools Director Jason Bransford presented to the West Ada school board Tuesday,
- New innovation school prepares to open in Nampa this August
- > May 3, 6:31 AM: Treasure Valley Leadership Academy is a brand-new innovation school, the second innovation school in the Nampa district. An innovation school is a public school that has freedoms similar to charter schools, meaning it can
- Idaho educators have big concerns over Trump's 'skinny' spending plan (CER in the news)
- > Apr 7, 7:21 AM: Last month, President Trump recommended zeroing out funding for programs such as SPARK. He also proposed killing a nationwide teacher training program. The recommendations came in the president’s “skinny” budget — Capitol
- Groups works on proposal for charter school in Teton Valley
- Mar 24, 5:52 AM: Teton Valley may soon have another option for education: its first charter school. The valley already has several private options, but this would be its first public charter school.
- Education reform groups give Idaho charter laws middling grades (CER in the news)
- Mar 23, 6:56 AM: In two separate report cards issued Wednesday, two school pro-education reform groups said pretty much the same thing about Idaho’s charter school laws.
- Education groups say they were cut out of charter school negotiations
- Mar 6, 7:19 AM: A charter school bill ran into trouble Friday in the House Education Committee, after leaders of two of the state’s powerful education groups said they were not consulted on the proposal.
- 2 Magic Valley school charters renewed
- > Feb 10, 7:31 AM: Two Magic Valley charter schools received approval Tuesday to keep their doors open for the next five years. The Idaho Public Charter School Commission gave an OK to charter renewals for Heritage Academy in Jerome and
- Confusion abounds in wake of teacher evaluations review
- Dec 23, 7:31 AM: Confusion and widely varying interpretations of rules and procedures continue to plague teacher evaluations, in the weeks following publication of a controversial review of that data.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Coeur D'Alene Press - Online 78%
- Bonner County Daily Bee 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Times-News - Online / Associated Press 17%
- Morning News - Online, The 33%