- Charter schools can't bond for buildings. Here's how Heritage Academy in Jerome paid off its mortgage
- > Sep 13, 6:21 AM: Paying off a school mortgage is big feat, especially in just six years. Unlike traditional public schools in Idaho, charter schools like Heritage Academy can’t bring a bond or levy measure to voters for facility needs. It
- Alternative high school in West Ada recognized for online learning program
- Sep 12, 5:53 AM: The Rebound School of Opportunity in the West Ada School District is just that -- a second chance for students to earn a high school diploma.
- Meridian will get a new charter school next year, with 2 adults in each class
- > Aug 29, 4:52 AM: Gem Prep: Meridian will be the fourth public charter school operated by Gem Innovation Schools. It joins the ranks of Idaho Distance Education Academy, also know as I-DEA, which opened in 2004; Gem Prep: Pocatello, opened
- Charter commission approves Gem Prep: Meridian petition
- > Aug 24, 6:02 AM: The free public charter school will be the fourth in a network of schools run by Gem Innovation Schools, Idaho’s first charter management organization. The organization also operates Gem Prep: Nampa, which opened last
- Twin Falls School District will provide free online classes for homeschoolers
- > Aug 1, 6:57 AM: The partnership essentially allows homeschoolers the flexibility to pick and choose their curriculum and online classes, and have support from the Twin Falls School District. And it allows the district to receive state
- Idaho school savings accounts top $250 million
- Jul 26, 6:31 AM: Idaho school districts and charter schools stashed more than $250 million in 2016. The unspent money, up roughly $35 million from 2015, resides in fund balances, or district savings accounts.
- Next Gem Prep charter school in the works for Meridian
- > Jun 29, 5:54 AM: The group is seeking a state charter for the new school, but the petition had to go through the local school district first. Gem Innovation Schools Director Jason Bransford presented to the West Ada school board Tuesday,
- New innovation school prepares to open in Nampa this August
- > May 3, 6:31 AM: Treasure Valley Leadership Academy is a brand-new innovation school, the second innovation school in the Nampa district. An innovation school is a public school that has freedoms similar to charter schools, meaning it can
- Idaho educators have big concerns over Trump's 'skinny' spending plan (CER in the news)
- > Apr 7, 7:21 AM: Last month, President Trump recommended zeroing out funding for programs such as SPARK. He also proposed killing a nationwide teacher training program. The recommendations came in the president’s “skinny” budget — Capitol
- Groups works on proposal for charter school in Teton Valley
- Mar 24, 5:52 AM: Teton Valley may soon have another option for education: its first charter school. The valley already has several private options, but this would be its first public charter school.
- Education reform groups give Idaho charter laws middling grades (CER in the news)
- Mar 23, 6:56 AM: In two separate report cards issued Wednesday, two school pro-education reform groups said pretty much the same thing about Idaho’s charter school laws.
- Education groups say they were cut out of charter school negotiations
- Mar 6, 7:19 AM: A charter school bill ran into trouble Friday in the House Education Committee, after leaders of two of the state’s powerful education groups said they were not consulted on the proposal.
- 2 Magic Valley school charters renewed
- > Feb 10, 7:31 AM: Two Magic Valley charter schools received approval Tuesday to keep their doors open for the next five years. The Idaho Public Charter School Commission gave an OK to charter renewals for Heritage Academy in Jerome and
- Confusion abounds in wake of teacher evaluations review
- Dec 23, 7:31 AM: Confusion and widely varying interpretations of rules and procedures continue to plague teacher evaluations, in the weeks following publication of a controversial review of that data.
- Pathways charter school to open in Nampa
- Dec 21, 7:10 AM: Under plans approved by trustees, Pathways in Education — Nampa will operate as a public charter high school for grades nine through 12.
- Worry ‘overblown’ about teacher reviews, State Board says
- Dec 16, 7:50 AM: Idaho’s flap over the quality of its public school teacher evaluations is “overblown,” Emma Atchley, State Board of Education president said Thursday.
- New Nampa charter school focuses on struggling students
- > Dec 16, 6:04 AM: Nampa School District has given approval for a new charter school to open in its district in July. Pathways in Education, a national network of non-profit schools, also has schools in Chicago, Shreveport, Memphis and
- State Ed Board to address teacher evaluations, Ybarra calls on districts to ‘stand tall’
- > Dec 9, 7:24 AM: Fallout is continuing from the Idaho EdNews report earlier this week that a previously unreleased audit of Idaho teacher evaluations – which the state received in July – found 99 percent were inaccurate or incomplete.
- East Idaho teacher 'jumped off a cliff' to start her own school
- > Nov 23, 7:40 AM: But after a clash with her school’s more traditional K-12 bent and a shift towards a new learning model, Ball decided to take her methods elsewhere. And word spread. Within a year, her homeschool at the courthouse had
- K-12 enrollment tops a milestone: 300000 and counting
- > Nov 1, 6:04 AM: Five districts and two charter schools account for more than half of the state’s enrollment growth. And all of these districts and charters sit in or near Idaho’s urban areas: the West Ada, Boise, Bonneville, Vallivue and
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Coeur D'Alene Press - Online 78%
- Bonner County Daily Bee 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Times-News - Online / Associated Press 17%
- Morning News - Online, The 33%