- OHA considers changing contract to award charter school funds, unsettling many
- Sep 22, 6:15 AM: Every year, the Office of Hawaiian Affairs gives $1.5 million to Hawaiian charter schools. Halau Ku Mana, one of 17 Hawaiian focused charters gets about $50,000-$60,000 of the OHA money.
- Laupahoehoe school cultivating college-prep culture
- Aug 14, 4:53 AM: About 280 students are enrolled at Laupahoehoe, which includes about 30 who attend online. Administrators want to bolster enrollment to 350 on site in three years, which would bring it to capacity.
- What Does it Take to Get a Charter School Up and Running in Hawaiʻi?
- > Jul 28, 6:41 AM: More than 20 years have passed since the first charter school was authorized here in Hawai’i. Since then, public charter schools have fueled educational innovation to offer students and parents school choice. Next month,
Applications are being accepted for high-quality pre-kindergarten classes at select charter schools on four islands.
Jun 5, 5:18 AM:
- Two Hilo schools shared campus space for 30 years. Now one is being forced to move on
- Jun 2, 6:28 AM: The school shares a campus with Keaukaha Elementary, which says it needs to reclaim the three classrooms used by the Hawaiian charter school.
- Burbank school board denies renewing charter school’s petition, citing ‘persistently low’ graduation rates
- > May 24, 5:17 AM: The Burbank Unified school board voted last week to not renew a petition submitted by the charter school Options for Youth to continue operating in Burbank, following a recommendation made by Burbank Supt. Matt Hill, and a
- Graduation ceremony reflects community’s growing support of charter school
- > May 22, 5:13 AM: A total of 13 Laupahoehoe students graduated this year — a seemingly small number but the school’s largest since converting from a state Department of Education school to a public charter school in 2012, said Laupahoehoe
- Hawaii charter schools lose hope in legislative fix to funding woes
- > Apr 26, 6:34 AM: Kamalani and other charter schools say they're being held back by inadequate facilities and high operations costs. They were hoping for help from this year's state Legislature, but time is running out as charter schools
- BOE approves findings from special review of charter school panel
- Feb 22, 7:56 AM: The state Board of Education on Tuesday approved findings from a special review of the state Public Charter School Commission.
- Charter school panel receives ‘partially meets’ rating
- Feb 8, 8:11 AM: The state Public Charter School Commission needs to improve communication with the schools it oversees and better hash out its strategic vision.
- Charter schools turn to fundraising, volunteers to tackle basic facilities needs
- Feb 6, 7:30 AM: The facilities issues underscore the obstacles that charter schools face every day, school officials say, and it's something they're trying to change.
- Senator Wants More Transparency For Charter School Funds
- Jan 18, 7:47 AM: The accounting practices of the State Public Charter School Commission came under scrutiny during a legislative budget hearing at the Capitol.
- Conference looks at innovation, rather than test scores for Hawaii’s education future
- Jan 16, 7:51 AM: Educators, policy makers and concerned parents gathered on Saturday to provide suggestions on how to improve Hawaii’s schools.
- Hawaii’s Public Charter School Commission makes progress
- > Dec 21, 7:36 AM: The report, discussed Tuesday at the BOE’s regular meeting, urges lawmakers to consider providing “some form of facilities funding” to charter schools, which currently do not receive any state money to maintain their
- Annual charter school report to be presented to Board of Education
- Dec 6, 7:53 AM: Hawaii’s public charter schools are making “continued progress” overall but still have room to improve financially and academically.
- Inquiry into charter schools panel could bring appointee removals, halt to new campuses
- > Nov 14, 7:06 AM: An investigation into complaints lodged against the agency regulating Hawaii’s public charter schools could result in far-reaching sanctions including a halt to new campuses and removal of appointees to the Public Charter
- BOE OKs review of charter panel
- > Sep 7, 6:48 AM: The State Public Charter School Commission will undergo a performance review following a “pattern of well-founded complaints” from multiple charter school leaders, the state Board of Education decided at its regular
- Charter school resolves deficiencies
- Aug 19, 7:53 AM: A deficiency notice issued to Ka‘u Learning Academy earlier this summer has been resolved, staff at the state’s Public Charter School Commission said last week.
- Hawaii Charter School Commission Is Under The Microscope
- > Aug 17, 7:20 AM: Members of a Hawaii Board of Education committee tasked with investigating the State Public Charter School Commission are recommending a more formal review of the agency’s performance after finding a “pattern of
- ‘Blended learning’ growing in popularity
- Jul 18, 8:03 AM: The Volcano School of Arts &Sciences, a kindergarten to eighth-grade state public charter school, is adding a “blended learning” pilot program next year.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Pacific Business News - Online 67%
- Star Advertiser 61%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KHON-TV - Online 28%
- KPUA-AM - Online 33%