- Graduation season shows gaps in high-school completion, career and college paths
- > May 9, 7:07 AM: Always Investigating looked at the public school graduation and college-enrollment rates to find out what's next for public school seniors. What we've found renews a call for attention to alternative paths for learning.
- More Fiscal Transparency Appears On The Way For Charter Schools
- > May 2, 7:03 AM: A bill requiring charter schools to turn over financial records upon request from the state charter school commission cleared both chambers of the Legislature, signaling potential changes to the way financial information
- Charter Schools Have By Far The Highest Rates Of Unvaccinated Kids
- > Apr 22, 6:27 AM: It’s a ranking of Hawaii’s 36 charter schools, showing the percentage of students whose parents have obtained exemptions — almost all of them based on religious beliefs — allowing their kids to not be vaccinated against
- More Hawaii high schoolers graduating, but college-going rate doesn’t budge
- > Apr 4, 5:56 AM: The on-time graduation rate for Hawaii public high school students ticked up last year, but the percentage of graduates who went on to college immediately remained stubbornly at 55% ― about the same level it’s been since
- Nanakuli charter school once hailed as educational leader in upheaval amid financial woes
- > Nov 12, 7:09 AM: For years, Ka Waihona o ka Na’auao in Nanakuli has been dedicated to academic excellence and Hawaiian culture for its 600 students. Its head of school, Alvin Parker, has been hailed as a visionary. But earlier this month,
- Hawaii Supreme Court to take up constitutional amendment battle as election nears
- Oct 5, 6:51 AM: The Hawaii Supreme Court has agreed to hear arguments on October 18th on whether to allow voters to decide if the state can collect property taxes on investment property to raise money for education.
- ‘Chaos At Kamalani’: Why It’s So Hard To Run A Charter School
- Sep 27, 6:26 AM: An innovative new charter school continues to struggle with parent communication and teacher turnover in its second year.
- Federal Money Is Running Out For Charter Schools’ Pre-K Programs
- > Sep 12, 6:29 AM: The charter school’s pre-K program, which has since been discontinued over a building permit issue, was possible under a federal preschool development grant intended for eligible 4-year-olds in Hawaii’s public charter
- Opinion: There Is Clear Evidence That Early College Works
- > Aug 7, 6:34 AM: One of the very highest priorities for the entire University of Hawaii System is to increase the number of Hawaii students who enroll and earn college credentials as quickly and affordably as possible. A college credential
- The Painful Demise Of A Big Island Charter School
- > Jul 19, 7:00 AM: The rural area, between Puna and Kona on the southern end of the island, contains two traditional Hawaii Department of Education schools — an elementary school and another serving grades K-12 — while the closest charter
- How Hawaii Is Trying To ‘Grow Our Own’ Pipeline of New Teachers
- > Jul 5, 6:32 AM: "Grow Our Own,” a new initiative of the Hawaii Department of Education and UH Manoa College of Education, is aimed at making that leap from substitute to full-time teacher a lot easier — and more affordable. The program
- Innovation Pays Off For These Hawaii Schools
- > Jun 4, 6:37 AM: Truancy, workplace training for adult special education students and urban irrigation models are just some of the topics students at 13 schools statewide plan to tackle through new “innovation grants” distributed by the
- Emotions run high as Big Island charter school faces uncertain future
- > Feb 8, 7:22 AM: The state Public Charter School Commission organized the community gathering about Ka'u Learning Academy to explain the "notice of prospect of revocation," the first step in the process of revoking the school's charter.
- Charter Schools And Special Ed Will Be In The Legislative Spotlight
- > Jan 30, 6:44 AM: Two other bills, SB 2383 and HB 2162, would provide charter schools money to award teacher bonuses without having to dip into the school’s per-pupil funding, which is roughly $7,343 per student. The $5,000 year-end bonuses
- Milolii charter school wins $10k in state contest
- > Dec 28, 8:39 AM: From a new take on the auto shop to proposing a business that recycles rubbish into sports equipment, three teams of students at Kua o Ka La Public Charter School are learning to put their talents and passions to work —
- Board Of Education Seeks Public Money For Charter School Facilities
- > Dec 6, 7:25 AM: The Hawaii Board of Education is urging the Legislature to help public charter schools pay for their facilities and offer a centralized support structure so the schools can better leverage financial resources.
- Charter school using $1 million grant to expand hours, reach academic goals
- > Nov 20, 6:49 AM: A Hilo-based Hawaiian immersion public charter school received a $1 million federal improvement grant, which will go toward further development of its in-house tests and hopefully boost overall student performance.
- On Campus: A New Charter School Scrambles To Open Its Doors
- > Oct 31, 7:12 AM: Days before Kamalani Academy opened in August, the new Wahiawa charter school was scrambling — to train teachers, to find a vendor to provide school lunches, to figure out how to get enough electricity to operate until the
- OHA Money Will Go Directly To Hawaiian Charter Schools
- Oct 20, 6:40 AM: The Office of Hawaiian Affairs’ Board of Trustees voted Thursday to give Hawaiian-focused charter schools $3 million directly, as opposed to using a grant administrator.
- Fewer Big Island charter school students meet Strive HI standards
- Sep 28, 7:10 AM: Fewer Hawaii Island charter school students met state testing standards last year, though leaders at some of those schools said results aren’t the best indicator of their students’ progress.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Pacific Business News - Online 67%
- Star Advertiser 61%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KHON-TV - Online 28%
- KPUA-AM - Online 33%