- Homeschooling growth continues following pandemic
Likely sparked by the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, the trend of parents and families entering into the homeschooling arena continues to grow as an alternative form of education.
Sep 15, 6:56 AM:
- Public school parent: Choice and specialty schools should be inclusive, not exclusive
- Mar 25, 8:07 AM: Savannah-Chatham school district has placed too many barriers to access for choice programs and specialty schools for students with academic and behavioral challenges.
- Goodwill of Southeast Georgia proposes alternative charter high school in Savannah
- > Mar 25, 7:38 AM: The Excel Center will be a tuition-free alternative charter high school that will serve 300 adults between the ages of 21 and 34. The school will not be affiliated with the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System
- Georgia Senate rejects private school vouchers
- Mar 16, 6:38 AM: The Georgia Senate on Tuesday again rejected private school voucher legislation that would have offered annual subsidies to students who switched from public schools.
- Georgia Republicans Must Put Students before Politics
- Mar 11, 9:27 AM: Parents want to be in charge of decisions about their children. Specifically, they want to be the ones making choices about education — not the government.
- School voucher bill clears Georgia Senate panel despite critic’s public school concerns
- Mar 9, 9:08 AM: A new school voucher bill sponsored by Senate Pro Tempore Butch Miller moved forward in a Senate committee Tuesday.
- More Georgia families than ever are making the switch to homeschooling, data shows
- Mar 8, 10:01 AM: More families than ever are turning to homeschooling, according to United States Census data. Many have cited learning loss concerns and the whiplash of ever-changing policies.
- Atlanta district to hold summer school in June
- Mar 8, 9:04 AM: More than 11,000 Atlanta elementary and middle school students could enroll in the district’s summer learning program.
- Georgia House votes to expand subsidies for private school tuition
- > Mar 4, 9:06 AM: School voucher legislation died in Georgia’s Legislature last week after a political misstep by proponents, but that didn’t stop lawmakers from throwing their support behind a massive expansion of tuition subsidies for
- Atlanta charter school starts leadership program with $1.1 million gift
- Feb 24, 9:24 AM: Atlanta’s oldest charter school will launch a student leadership and service program, made possible by a $1.1 million donation.
- Gwinnett schools lean on tutors to address pandemic learning loss
- > Feb 22, 7:24 AM: Gwinnett County Public Schools hopes to replicate that progress as it addresses learning loss students may have experienced during the pandemic.When officials closed school buildings and shifted students to online classes,
- Over 1,000 students left Savannah public schools since 2019. Officials expect trend to continue.
- > Feb 15, 8:48 AM: Since 2019, the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System (SCCPSS) has lost 1,167 students. For the next five fiscal years, the district predicts its student enrollment to decrease because of the COVID-19 pandemic, a
- Opinion: Forget boards of education. Push lawmakers for school choice
- > Feb 10, 9:59 AM: Across our country, parents are realizing that too many students aren’t getting what they need at their neighborhood public schools. The COVID-19 pandemic exposed weaknesses in the system’s ability to respond to unique
- Stakes are high for Museum School as it pursues a state charter
- > Feb 7, 9:52 AM: The Museum School in the past could’ve bypassed the county school district and pursued a state charter without seeking a renewal from a local school district. But a recent rule change by the SCSC means that the renewal
- Georgia House panel advances broad school voucher plan
- > Feb 2, 7:23 AM: Supporters of expanding school vouchers in Georgia are renewing their push to expand options, including a measure that could give $6,000 a year to almost anyone as long as their child attended public school for a short
- House bills to create state-funded school vouchers advance, draw criticism
- > Feb 2, 6:20 AM: Two bills authored by Woodstock Republican state Rep. Wes Cantrell aimed at giving families a choice of where to send their children to school moved forward in House committees Tuesday, including one that could make
- Metro Atlanta's largest school district offering virtual learning option for students next year
- Feb 1, 9:26 AM: A virtual learning option will be available for students grades K-12 at Gwinnett County Public Schools for the 2022-23 academic year.
- Fulton County board approves charter school’s renewal
- Jan 24, 9:08 AM: The charter school enrolled 451 students in kindergarten through eighth grades, according to October numbers from the Georgia Department of Education.
- More accountability, transparency and choice needed in post-COVID-19 education system
- > Jan 18, 8:37 AM: Improving our schools to overcome COVID-19-related learning losses will require efforts from many corners. But let’s be clear about one thing: Kids weren’t getting what they needed to succeed even before COVID. A return to
- Kemp commits $47 million in federal COVID-19 relief for education
- Jan 13, 8:40 AM: Gov. Brian Kemp has announced how he will distribute more of the discretionary funding Congress gave him and other governors for pandemic relief in education.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- CNN.com 92%
- WXIA-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Griffin Daily News - Online, The 17%
- LaGrange Daily News Online 17%