- Duval County School Board member opposes education amendment
- > Aug 8, 5:50 AM: Amendment 8 bundles three education-related proposals together: Setting eight-year school board term limits, expanding civics education in public schools and enabling charter schools to bypass local school district to
- Jacksonville charter schools scramble to comply with law requiring armed officers
- Aug 3, 6:55 AM: Less than two weeks from the first day of school, Jacksonville charter schools are scrambling to comply with a new law requiring armed officers on campus.
- Eagle Arts’ last-minute plea fails; School Board ends charter
- > Aug 2, 6:32 AM: Fed up with protracted efforts to close Eagle Arts Academy that seemingly left the door open for the charter school to welcome students once again this fall, the Palm Beach County School Board ended the school in one vote
- Opinion: Schools must seek tax increases because Tallahassee loves charters
- Aug 1, 6:54 AM: For the second time, the Palm Beach County School Board has challenged the for-profit charter school lobby.
- Romano: Let’s try to remember charter schools are not the enemy
- > Jul 31, 6:52 AM: Now, it’s true charter schools have benefitted from these polices. And it’s true the rapid growth of charters has taken scads of money out of traditional schools and, in many cases, been recklessly wasted. But to say there
- Editorial: District right to push closing chronically troubled charter
- > Jul 30, 4:29 AM: When the Palm Beach County School District last month announced its A-rated schools, the list included three top-notch high school charters: Inlet Grove in Riviera Beach, South Tech in Boynton Beach and the G-Star School
- Administrative Judge orders PBC School Board to pay Eagle Arts Academy charter
- > Jul 27, 6:40 AM: Before the end of the academic school year, the school board gave Eagle Arts Academy a 90-day notice of termination. The charter filed an appeal in the administrative court system. The school board recently decided to
- Opinion: Not everyone is meant to attend college, vocational training key to Florida’s future
- > Jul 26, 6:08 AM: In my view, addressing the gap between educators and employers will require a retooling of Florida’s education system. School district performance is based in large part on the number of students graduating and enrolling
- Lawmakers and others debate vouchers, other school topics during forum
- > Jul 26, 5:00 AM: Choice programs, including state-backed scholarships, have expanded rapidly in Florida in recent years, to the delight of supporters who say parents know what’s best for their children and to the dismay of others who
- School district, academy still at odds
- > Jul 26, 4:36 AM: Superintendent of Schools Heidi Maier urged the School Board again on Tuesday to shut down Marion Military Academy, the county’s only charter high school. Despite the plea, the same three board members who supported Marion
- Judge sets hearing on education amendment
- Jul 24, 6:15 AM: The lawsuit targets the charter-school part of the proposal and alleges that the ballot wording is misleading.
- District hopes students will stick with Palm Terrace Elementary after third D from state Previous HIDE CAPTION Principal Tucker Harris trades fist bumps and high fives for a job well done at an event near the end of the last school year. Despite a t
- > Jul 23, 5:28 AM: The marquee on the corner of Palm Terrace Elementary School’s Daytona Beach campus proudly proclaims a new message to passersby after the release of school grades last month: “D’s don’t define us."
- Column: Charters don’t need specific piece of special tax
- > Jul 23, 5:23 AM: At Wednesday’s lengthy, jam-packed meeting, board members said that they did not want to distribute more taxpayer dollars to charters. Why? Because they couldn’t guarantee — read that, force — charter schools to spend the
- Our Opinion: Don’t mislead Florida voters
- > Jul 20, 5:54 AM: Members of Florida’s Constitution Revision Commission played a dirty trick on the state’s electorate, and the League of Women Voters is calling them out for it in court. The only real problem: The League isn’t going far
- Charter school amendment triggers School Board dispute
- > Jul 20, 4:46 AM: Sarasota County School Board members narrowly voted this week to adopt a resolution publicly opposing a controversial proposed constitutional amendment that would reduce local control over charter schools and establish
- School board rejected them. But 2 new charters will open anyway.
- > Jul 19, 6:15 AM: The state Board of Education unanimously upheld recommendations by a charter school commission and judges to allow South Palm Beach Charter School, a K-8 school, and Renaissance Charter School of Palm Beach, a high school
- Editorial: League of Women Voters is right to sue over deceptive ballot item
- > Jul 19, 6:04 AM: And that leaves the third proposal, which is the particularly toxic one. It’s a stealth amendment to remove local control of charter schools, though the word “charter” doesn’t prominently appear anywhere in the proposal’s
- State ed board OKs Duval plan to turn around two schools
- Jul 19, 5:06 AM: The State Board of Education on Wednesday approved without reservations Duval County Schools’ plan to have an outside company take over and turn around Lake Forest Elementary and Northwestern Middle.
- Florida's newest voucher program to start in fall, as Hope Scholarship rules approved by state board
- > Jul 19, 4:33 AM: Florida’s newest voucher program is to begin this fall, with parents who say their children are bullied in public schools able to apply for private-school scholarships that could pay tuition for part of the 20118-19 school
- PBC school board puts property tax increase on November ballot
- > Jul 19, 4:30 AM: The referendum approved Wednesday bars the county’s charter schools from receiving a portion of the tax proceeds, a move that angered charter leaders and parents. Several told board members that it was unfair to bar their
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%