- Results are concerning as Pinellas launches plan to bridge achievement gap, but it’s early
- Jan 9, 7:01 AM: The Pinellas County school district has released a new glimpse of how black students are faring, the first report on a new plan that aims to tackle the achievement gap by 2027.
- Republican senator proposes more oversight for state voucher schools
- > Jan 9, 6:30 AM: Florida provides little oversight of its scholarship programs for private schools, often called school vouchers, that some schools hire teachers without college degrees, hold classes in aging strip malls and falsify fire
- Simmons proposes more oversight for state voucher schools
- Jan 8, 8:25 AM: Simmons filed a bill late Friday that would require private schools that take state scholarships to hire teachers with college degrees and to have owners who were free of recent bankruptcies.
- Scale back Florida's teacher merit-pay rules, lawmakers say
- Jan 8, 8:09 AM: Florida’s controversial teacher merit-pay law could be scaled back again in coming months, as some state lawmakers think student test scores should no longer play into teacher evaluations.
- Planning to apply for a Pinellas school ‘choice’ program? The time has come
- > Jan 5, 6:29 AM: If history is any guide, more than 20,000 applications from some 11,000 students will flow into the Pinellas County school system’s computers over the next two weeks as families seek access to choice programs.
- As charter school grew, traffic exploded. A solution may be near.
- > Jan 4, 6:12 AM: The A-rated, K-12 private charter school at Johnson Street and NW 208th Avenue is working on plan to ease both by opening a nearby facility for lower grades and offering parents incentives to put their children on buses.
- Florida Ethics Commission removes suggestion that charter schools are not public agencies
- Dec 21, 6:49 AM: The Florida Commission on Ethics has backtracked on the notion that the state's charter schools are anything but public agencies.
- Rising Leaders ranked top Bay District elementary and charter school
- Dec 19, 6:56 AM: This year, the education ranking site Niche.com named Rising Leaders Academy as the best public elementary school, best charter school and school with the best teachers in Bay County.
- Planning on switching schools? Application for school reassignment undergoes big changes
- Dec 19, 5:59 AM: The application for school choice reassignment used by Leon County Schools is about to change – and the district says its updates come with good reason.
- Court rejects challenge to state education system
- > Dec 18, 6:09 AM: Saying it’s not the role of judges to determine education policy, an appeals court Wednesday rejected a long-running lawsuit that alleged Florida has failed to meet its constitutional duty of providing a high-quality
- State proposal would pay for bullied students to transfer schools
- Dec 14, 6:23 AM: The state is now taking action by pushing a proposal that would allow victims of bullying to move to private schools.
- Charter likely in Patterson’s future
- > Dec 14, 5:50 AM: Because of the school’s continuing failing grades, the state’s Department of Education, through statutes outlined in last session’s education bill HB 7069, has handed down three courses of action for the district regarding
- Court rejects challenge to state education system
- > Dec 14, 5:45 AM: Saying it's not the role of judges to determine education policy, an appeals court Wednesday rejected a long-running lawsuit that alleged Florida has failed to meet its constitutional duty of providing a high-quality
- District considering limits on school choice in South Hall to avoid overcrowding
- Dec 13, 5:38 AM: With a new middle and high school opening in Hall County next year, school officials are considering changes to zoning to avoid overcrowding in South Hall.
- In Hillsborough, charter schools are the elephant in the boardroom
The board, as promised, heard a presentation from charter schools director Jenna Hodgens about the many charter applications that are withdrawn before they ever get to the board for a vote. This was intended to counter >
Dec 8, 7:20 AM:
- Elementary School Near Liberty City to Split Space With Incoming Charter
- > Dec 8, 7:09 AM: The national non-profit charter school chain KIPP will open its first location in South Florida next fall, taking over half of the space in the existing school. The Miami-Dade County school board on Wednesday approved a
- Florida school voucher reforms proposed
- > Dec 7, 7:26 AM: Florida provides little oversight of its scholarship programs for private schools, often called school vouchers, that some schools hire teachers without college degrees, hold classes in aging strip malls and falsify fire
- Florida Virtual School leaders oppose teacher union initiative
- Dec 7, 7:19 AM: The movement to organize Florida Virtual School's teachers has met strong pushback from the the school's administration, which calls the effort a "serious" matter.
- Venture capitalist champions private-school scholarships
- > Dec 6, 6:16 AM: The number of children using a state scholarship to attend religious or other private schools in Florida soared by 21 percent last year to about 140,000 — the largest increase since the voucher programs started more than
- Yet another charter school is slated to open in Riverview
- Dec 5, 8:13 AM: The forward march of the charter school movement will continue this afternoon with a contract coming before the Hillsborough County School Board for another privately managed school in Riverview.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%