- Pinellas to vote Tuesday on whether to join lawsuit against controversial education bill
- > Sep 18, 5:21 AM: Pinellas County school superintendent Mike Grego is urging the School Board to join 11 other Florida districts in challenging a controversial law that steers more control and public dollars to charter schools.
- Teachers union sues Florida, alleges 'Best & Brightest' bonus system discriminatory
- Sep 15, 5:58 AM: The Florida Education Association is challenging as discriminatory part of a 2015 law that ties teacher bonuses to their college entrance exam scores.
- OCPS committed $25,000 to join a lawsuit regarding a controversial law formerly known as House Bill 7069.
- Sep 14, 6:46 AM: Orange County Public Schools has followed 10 other Florida school districts that plan to sue the state regarding a new education law signed by Gov. Rick Scott that took effect July 1.
- Don’t spend that $10 million just yet, PBC schools warn charter schools
- > Sep 5, 5:50 AM: A new law requires Palm Beach County’s public school system to share an extra $10 million with charter schools this year, but school district leaders are telling those schools not to make any spending plans just yet.
- How to fix failing schools? Miami-Dade seeks $2.3 million in teacher bonuses to do it
- > Sep 5, 5:28 AM: Teacher bonuses are among several ideas the Miami-Dade and Broward school districts have proposed as they compete for additional funding through a controversial new state program designed to rehabilitate Florida’s lowest
- Florida Democrats look to rein in controversial charter school law
- > Sep 5, 4:39 AM: Florida Senate Democrats are taking on the state's controversial new Schools of Hope program, filing legislation that would impose new requirements on companies that accept taxpayer funds to build new charter schools.
- Online classes help high school students graduate
- > Sep 1, 5:46 AM: Wesley Chapel High Student Rafael Ferrer is like the rest of his senior class - working towards his diploma. But he's taking a bit of a non-traditional route. While he's inside a classroom, he's facing a laptop instead of
- Bendigo 'virtual school' bridges divide between city and country
- > Sep 1, 5:34 AM: Palm Beach County school enrollment has hit a record 193,973, according to the year’s first head count. But for the first time in at least a decade, none of that growth happened in charter schools, where instead enrollment
- Is a charter school right for your child? Tampa Bay area mom weighs in
- > Aug 31, 5:29 AM: She tells us choosing a charter school really comes down to what parents want for their children and what their children need in an education. It’s important to know what charter schools strengths and weaknesses are.
- School District gets applications for 4 charter schools in East Polk
- Aug 28, 6:01 AM: The Polk County School District has received four applications to open charter schools in Davenport, Haines City, Lake Wales and Winter Haven.
- Volusia school district combs through 3 charter applications
- > Aug 28, 5:45 AM: About 10 hours of questioning between Volusia County School District officials and charter school applicants this week gave the district a clearer picture of plans behind three potential charter schools hoping to open in
- Governor's Charter on the hot seat, but promises of 'new' school keep enrollment steady
- Aug 24, 6:28 AM: Owens said the district had every right to ax Governor's charter agreement, based on lagging student performance that yielded a “D” school grade for the year.
- Lincoln Middle slated to become newest charter school
- > Aug 24, 5:33 AM: Lincoln Memorial Middle School is on track to become the next charter school in Manatee County. Tuesday night, the School Board of Manatee County voted 4-1 to approve Lincoln Middle School’s charter school application.
- Law firm selected in HB 7069 lawsuit
- > Aug 24, 5:05 AM: Much of the challenge will center on the Schools of Hope, a new strain of charter school that will receive state and potentially federal dollars to set up within 5 miles of a chronically underperforming school.
- St. Petersburg may get two new charter schools
Following a two-year dry spell, the Pinellas County school district has received two new applications to open charter schools in St. Petersburg.
Aug 23, 6:26 AM:
- Orange School Board votes to join lawsuit over new school law
- Aug 23, 5:59 AM: The Orange County School Board voted Tuesday to join a proposed lawsuit that will challenge the constitutionality of parts of a controversial education law the Florida Legislature passed this spring.
- Polk schools will join lawsuit against state over HB 7069
- > Aug 23, 5:53 AM: The Polk County School District will join school districts across Florida in a legal challenge to House Bill 7069, a controversial education-conforming law that critics say will undermine local control and expand the
- Hillsborough charter school may not be finished this year, hundreds of students affected
- Aug 23, 5:04 AM: Hundreds of students have been out of school for nearly two weeks, waiting on a new charter school that may not be finished in time for this school year.
- Half of Duval County students take advantage of school choice
- Aug 23, 4:52 AM: New numbers Action News Jax got from the school district show half of all students in Duval County Public Schools are using school choice in some way.
- South Florida Public, Charter Schools Battle For Top Students
- > Aug 22, 6:56 AM: There are more than 200 public charter schools in South Florida. Many of them are high-performing, excellent alternatives to traditional public schools. In fact, driven by competition from charters, we’ve seen an explosion
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%