- After years of fighting the school district, a new charter school is coming to Parrish
- Jan 31, 8:41 AM: Parrish Charter Academy filed its seventh application with the School District of Manatee County on Feb. 1, 2017, and the district issued its seventh rejection about one month later.
- In Tampa, DeSantis pushes to bolster workforce education
- > Jan 31, 8:16 AM: Gov. Ron DeSantis, citing a need to have a nimble workforce that meets market demands, unveiled the first part of his proposed education spending plan on Wednesday, with it geared toward expanding vocational and technical
- Column: Is enthusiasm for new charter school a vote of 'no confidence' in Martin schools?
- > Jan 30, 6:32 AM: And I do worry that in creating a parallel system via "choice," we'll further impoverish the traditional public schools. Advocates tout "competition" as a means of improvement for everyone. But competition also plows under
- ‘One size doesn’t fit all.’ Should Florida widen the path to high school graduation?
- Jan 28, 7:34 AM: Bills have been filed to create more “pathways” to a high school diploma. The proposals will be debated in the upcoming legislative session, but students have some ideas too.
- Opinion: Battle over school choice destined to escalate
- Jan 28, 6:01 AM: With a governor, education commissioner and state Supreme Court supportive of vouchers for private and charter schools, will public education be decimated?
- Sarasota charter schools on the road to improvement
- Jan 24, 7:09 AM: Two Sarasota County charter schools that saw their low state grades increase in 2018 updated the School Board on their academic progress this year.
- Ron DeSantis calls to end private school scholarship waitlist for low-income students
- Jan 22, 5:57 AM: Gov. Ron DeSantis is calling for an end to the waitlist for the Florida Tax Credit Scholarship, which offers private school scholarships to low-income K-12 students throughout the state.
- Editorial: Polk gets a new prep school, but other students still need help
- > Jan 17, 6:30 AM: A big part of providing opportunity involves the state’s tax-credit scholarship program, which is administered by a nonprofit group, Step Up for Students. Under the program, corporate contributors make tax-exempt donations
- Education bills continue to mount as Florida legislative session nears
- Jan 17, 5:54 AM: Every year, Florida lawmakers create their legislative wish list of things they’d like to see happening in the state’s public schools.
- Commentary: School choice: The more options the better
- > Jan 16, 5:43 AM: That’s why school choice is so important. It empowers parents to find schools that work for their kids, and their families. In environments where school choice is flourishing, parents are even empowered to start their own
- Editorial: Better schools require funding
- > Jan 15, 7:13 AM: During the campaign, Gov. Ron DeSantis took positions on education that were pure Republican red meat, mixed with a little wishful thinking. He vowed to expand school choice while slashing administrative costs, pay
- Editorial: Florida Supreme Court kills best hope for saving public schools
- Jan 14, 5:51 AM: No fair-minded person would claim that Florida is meeting its constitutional promise to all of its schoolchildren.
- Florida lawmakers continue to look for ‘alternative pathways’ to high school graduation
- Jan 10, 7:46 AM: Florida lawmakers and school leaders make a big deal about the state's rising graduation rates, citing the importance of earning a diploma to finding success in college and career.
- Editorial: DeSantis strikes fresh tone in inaugural address
- > Jan 9, 5:45 AM: The new governor also generally talked of providing every child access to a quality education regardless of income or zip code, avoiding the bashing of teacher unions and failing public schools that too often comes in the
- Richard Corcoran once backed state testing for private schools accepting tax credit scholarships.
- > Jan 4, 6:04 AM: The former state House speaker has made no secret of his support for growing Florida's many education options, including charter schools and tax credit scholarships, in pursuit of providing children a "world-class"
- Opinion: Corcoran devoted to education improvements
- > Jan 2, 5:40 AM: From his beginnings in the Florida Legislature to his time as speaker of the House, Richard Corcoran has devoted his time in public service toward improving Florida’s education system, and has emphasized the importance of
- Expanding School Choice A Priority For DeSantis Education Advisory Panel
- Dec 31, 9:24 AM: School choice is a priority for the education advisory committee Gov.-elect Ron DeSantis has convened to help shape his policy goals.
- Editorial: Community must rally to close Pinellas achievement gap
- > Dec 31, 8:49 AM: Narrowing the achievement gap between white and black students in Pinellas County will take a holistic effort by schools, parents and the wider community. Years of effort primarily by the school district have kept this
- Volusia hoping to tempt home-school students with more online learning opportunities
- > Dec 31, 7:21 AM: School choice options like charter schools and private school vouchers have a reputation for siphoning students away from traditional public education, especially in Florida. But over the past decade, increases in private
- Editorial: More than a school
- Dec 27, 7:39 AM: Lacoochee Elementary is a gathering place and a point of pride in a community without many.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%