- State approves new charter school, reversing Manatee County School Board decision
- Oct 24, 5:24 AM: The Parrish Charter Academy has won an appeal, reversing the Manatee County School District’s decision that denied its charter application.
- Ivy Hawn board withdraws Volusia charter school applications
- > Oct 24, 5:04 AM: A venture to introduce Volusia County’s first charter high school has stalled after meeting opposition from the school district, prompting those behind the school to pull their application on the eve of its consideration
- Jefferson County schools trying timprove under charter operator
- Oct 23, 7:10 AM: Two months into the new school year, Jefferson County students and parents are seeing what it means to have a private company run their public schools.
- Is a Florida charter school a public school, or not?
- > Oct 23, 5:07 AM: Florida lawmakers have taken great pains to include charter schools in the pantheon of the state's public education system. But the state Ethics Commission saw things a bit differently in a draft advisory opinion offered
- Miami-Dade Plans To 'Exhaust' Options Before Suing Over Charter School Law
- Oct 20, 5:27 AM: South Florida school districts are leading two major lawsuits against a controversial new charter school law. But Miami-Dade County is sitting it out — at least for now.
- Online system for magnet schools sought
- Oct 20, 5:02 AM: The School District wants to purchase a new online magnet school application system that will help streamline the selection process and save local taxpayers thousands of dollars down the road.
- Duval misses first pass at Schools of Hope money, but districts will get second chance
- > Oct 19, 6:15 AM: Duval public schools applied for but failed to win a statewide competition for “Schools of Hope” money, a pot of $140 million the state set aside for certain public schools to turn around D or F grades and for certain
- Charter schools banned from countywide school fair as tensions rise
- > Oct 18, 5:53 AM: As Palm Beach County’s public school system showed off some of its most popular school programs to thousands of parents Tuesday, one segment of the public school sector was largely absent: charter schools.
- Schools Without Rules
- > Oct 18, 5:37 AM: Private schools in Florida will collect nearly $1 billion in state-backed scholarships this year through a system so weakly regulated that some schools hire teachers without college degrees, hold classes in aging strip
- Two struggling charter schools present improvement plans to district
- Oct 18, 5:19 AM: Two charter schools that floundered in their 2017 grades from the Florida Department of Education successfully presented their improvement plans to the Sarasota County School Board Tuesday.
- 13-district HB 7069 lawsuit filed; Lee included
- Oct 17, 5:01 AM: A lawsuit to challenge a sweeping education bill by Florida school districts, including Lee County, was filed in a Tallahassee court on Monday.
- Here's what those two charter schools promised the Hillsborough School Board
- > Oct 16, 5:15 AM: Two D-rated charter schools were required, by law, to come before the elected board and present their plans for improvement. But, the board members were told, they would not be asked to sign off on the plans and staff,
- Two charter school applicants seek to enter Pasco County
- > Oct 13, 6:49 AM: Plato Academy, based in Pinellas County, has applied to open its second school in the county. Planned to serve children in kindergarten through eighth grade, the school proposes to open with 288 students and grow to 728
- Bullied students could get state scholarships to private schools
- Oct 12, 5:40 AM: Children bullied or abused in public schools could get state-backed scholarships to go to a private school starting next year.<
- LCS approves Governor's Charter turnaround plan
- > Oct 12, 5:10 AM: The Leon County School Board Tuesday night approved a school improvement plan for Governor’s Charter Academy, which found itself on the hot seat having received a D school grade for the previous academic year.
- Marion school board shoots down Charter Schools USA application
- Oct 11, 5:28 AM: The board voted 4-1 to deny Charter Schools USA’s application. The company wanted to open Southeast Marion Charter School to 745 students somewhere in the sprawling Silver Springs Shores area.
- Leon Co. School Board Approves Turnaround Plan for Governors Charter Academy
- Oct 11, 5:26 AM: The Leon County School Board approves Governors Charter Academy's (GCA) school improvement plan during Tuesday night's school board meeting.
- Can two low-performing charter schools improve? Hillsborough to hear their plans today
- Oct 10, 6:40 AM: Two charter school operators will appear Tuesday before the Hillsborough County School Board, defending their low state grades and presenting their plans for improvement.
- Ocali Charter officials working to improve
- > Oct 9, 6:51 AM: An Ocali Charter Middle School administrator pulled no punches last week, telling the local School Board that she is working hard with local educators to implement changes to improve the F grade the school received last
- Florida Virtual School to welcome 20,000 Puerto Rican students, Gov Scott says
- Oct 6, 6:16 AM: Puerto Rican students, whether still on the island or resettling in Florida, can take classes through the state’s public online school for free, Gov. Rick Scott announced Thursday.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%