- School District stymied by law’s effect on turnaround plans
- Oct 30, 6:20 AM: The Polk County School District faces a November deadline to address plans for improving grades at six of the district’s most critical turnaround schools.
- Pines, charter school teachers reach tentative deal on salary hikes
- Oct 27, 6:34 AM: Teachers at Pembroke Pines’ city-run charter schools will get a $1,250 raise under a tentative agreement reached this week between the city and the Broward Teachers Union.
- New state law targets seven Hillsborough schools with D's and F's
- Oct 27, 5:04 AM: The state is telling Hillsborough County to have contingency plans ready by Friday for seven struggling schools in case they don't receive C grades or better at the end of the year.
- Seven Hillsborough schools facing charter takeover
- > Oct 26, 5:10 AM: Seven Hillsborough County schools are at risk of being shut down, converted into charter schools or managed by outside consultants if they do not improve their “F” and “D” state rankings to at least a “C” by the end of
- Florida lawmakers, officials call for reform of private schools that get state scholarships
- > Oct 26, 5:01 AM: Lawmakers, local elected officials and policy experts are calling for reform after an Orlando Sentinel investigation revealed that private schools take nearly $1 billion in state scholarships but have little oversight.
- State revokes Melbourne private school's scholarships
- Oct 25, 5:54 AM: A private school in Melbourne with ties to two other schools already sanctioned by the state will be revoked from Florida’s scholarship programs, the Florida Department of Education said Tuesday.
- Lee County students drawn to Babcock charter for innovative, hands-on learning
- > Oct 24, 5:48 AM: Already, the schoolhouse has reached its full capacity, with about 156 students attending the K-6 school. Most of those who attend hail from Lee County, although the campus is located in the south end of Charlotte County.
- State approves new charter school, reversing Manatee County School Board decision
- Oct 24, 5:24 AM: The Parrish Charter Academy has won an appeal, reversing the Manatee County School District’s decision that denied its charter application.
- Ivy Hawn board withdraws Volusia charter school applications
- > Oct 24, 5:04 AM: A venture to introduce Volusia County’s first charter high school has stalled after meeting opposition from the school district, prompting those behind the school to pull their application on the eve of its consideration
- Jefferson County schools trying timprove under charter operator
- Oct 23, 7:10 AM: Two months into the new school year, Jefferson County students and parents are seeing what it means to have a private company run their public schools.
- Is a Florida charter school a public school, or not?
- > Oct 23, 5:07 AM: Florida lawmakers have taken great pains to include charter schools in the pantheon of the state's public education system. But the state Ethics Commission saw things a bit differently in a draft advisory opinion offered
- Miami-Dade Plans To 'Exhaust' Options Before Suing Over Charter School Law
- Oct 20, 5:27 AM: South Florida school districts are leading two major lawsuits against a controversial new charter school law. But Miami-Dade County is sitting it out — at least for now.
- Online system for magnet schools sought
- Oct 20, 5:02 AM: The School District wants to purchase a new online magnet school application system that will help streamline the selection process and save local taxpayers thousands of dollars down the road.
- Duval misses first pass at Schools of Hope money, but districts will get second chance
- > Oct 19, 6:15 AM: Duval public schools applied for but failed to win a statewide competition for “Schools of Hope” money, a pot of $140 million the state set aside for certain public schools to turn around D or F grades and for certain
- Charter schools banned from countywide school fair as tensions rise
- > Oct 18, 5:53 AM: As Palm Beach County’s public school system showed off some of its most popular school programs to thousands of parents Tuesday, one segment of the public school sector was largely absent: charter schools.
- Schools Without Rules
- > Oct 18, 5:37 AM: Private schools in Florida will collect nearly $1 billion in state-backed scholarships this year through a system so weakly regulated that some schools hire teachers without college degrees, hold classes in aging strip
- Two struggling charter schools present improvement plans to district
- Oct 18, 5:19 AM: Two charter schools that floundered in their 2017 grades from the Florida Department of Education successfully presented their improvement plans to the Sarasota County School Board Tuesday.
- 13-district HB 7069 lawsuit filed; Lee included
- Oct 17, 5:01 AM: A lawsuit to challenge a sweeping education bill by Florida school districts, including Lee County, was filed in a Tallahassee court on Monday.
- Here's what those two charter schools promised the Hillsborough School Board
- > Oct 16, 5:15 AM: Two D-rated charter schools were required, by law, to come before the elected board and present their plans for improvement. But, the board members were told, they would not be asked to sign off on the plans and staff,
- Two charter school applicants seek to enter Pasco County
- > Oct 13, 6:49 AM: Plato Academy, based in Pinellas County, has applied to open its second school in the county. Planned to serve children in kindergarten through eighth grade, the school proposes to open with 288 students and grow to 728
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%