- St. Petersburg may get two new charter schools
Following a two-year dry spell, the Pinellas County school district has received two new applications to open charter schools in St. Petersburg.
Aug 23, 6:26 AM:
- Orange School Board votes to join lawsuit over new school law
- Aug 23, 5:59 AM: The Orange County School Board voted Tuesday to join a proposed lawsuit that will challenge the constitutionality of parts of a controversial education law the Florida Legislature passed this spring.
- Polk schools will join lawsuit against state over HB 7069
- > Aug 23, 5:53 AM: The Polk County School District will join school districts across Florida in a legal challenge to House Bill 7069, a controversial education-conforming law that critics say will undermine local control and expand the
- Hillsborough charter school may not be finished this year, hundreds of students affected
- Aug 23, 5:04 AM: Hundreds of students have been out of school for nearly two weeks, waiting on a new charter school that may not be finished in time for this school year.
- Half of Duval County students take advantage of school choice
- Aug 23, 4:52 AM: New numbers Action News Jax got from the school district show half of all students in Duval County Public Schools are using school choice in some way.
- South Florida Public, Charter Schools Battle For Top Students
- > Aug 22, 6:56 AM: There are more than 200 public charter schools in South Florida. Many of them are high-performing, excellent alternatives to traditional public schools. In fact, driven by competition from charters, we’ve seen an explosion
- Few Tampa Bay area charter schools in economically challenged communities earn top grades
- > Aug 21, 5:40 AM: The Tampa Bay area has 101 charter schools. Only 35 of those serve a majority of students from low income families and only a dozen of those schools scored either an "A" or "B" on the latest school report card.
- After a year of chaos, Manatee Charter School is fighting back
- > Aug 21, 5:35 AM: All this at Manatee Charter School — the school that was deemed so chaotic and poorly-managed last year that the School District of Manatee County told the school that their charter would not be renewed. The school fought
- For local officials, a charter school story with a surprise ending
- > Aug 21, 5:15 AM: The opening day enrollment for Pasco County's newest charter school set off alarm bells in the school district's administrative offices. Pasco MYcroSchool had projected serving 250 high school students in its first year.
- Fewer students means land for sale: With more students choosing online schools and private options, Volusia County Schools looks to offload excess land
- > Aug 17, 5:44 AM: "Kids have all kinds of choices now — Volusia Virtual, Florida Virtual, home school, charter school, and you’ve got vouchers, so you’ve got the option to send your kid to private school on public money,” she added. “All of
- Charter school relocates to Lehigh
- > Aug 17, 5:25 AM: Donna J. Beasley is a high school and consists of ninth grade through 12th grade. According to the district's website, it had 142 students during the 2016-17 school year and it is a Title 1 school. Officials explained that
- Sen. Passidomo of Naples to lead education budget committee
- Aug 16, 6:02 AM: A Republican state senator who voted against a highly contested education bill demanded by the House has been removed from his chairmanship of the Senate PreK-12 Education Appropriations Subcommittee.
- APS promotes ‘private school education for free’
- Aug 15, 5:49 AM: Sandia High is among a handful of New Mexico schools that offer the IB program and the only one in the APS district.
- These students want to attend a better school, but the buses won’t be running for another few weeks
- Aug 11, 6:37 AM: School started on Thursday, but 134 students in Manatee County’s lowest-performing schools who qualified to attend a better school this year do not yet have a school bus.
- Miami-Dade school district agrees to join suit over controversial state education law
- > Aug 10, 5:41 AM: At a School Board meeting on Wednesday, board members voted 8 to 1 to join litigation seeking to overturn portions of a bill some critics say was designed to boost the fortunes of the politically powerful charter school
- Legacy Charter School in Titusville gets last-minute OK to open
- Aug 9, 6:24 AM: Parents breathed a sign of relief Tuesday when Legacy Academy Charter School got the OK to open from the Brevard County School Board.
- Agape Christian Academy kicked out of scholarship program
- > Aug 9, 6:02 AM: With just a week until the start of classes, more than 100 students at a private school in Pine Hills could be left scrambling to find a new school after the state abruptly terminated its eligibility for three voucher
- Jefferson County Schools preparing for first year as charter school district
- Aug 9, 5:07 AM: When school resumes in Jefferson County next Monday, they'll be attending the state's first, and only, charter school district.
- School choice system leaves Lee family frustrated
- > Aug 9, 4:52 AM: The first day of school can be nerve wracking for kids, between navigating new schools to making new friends. With just a few days before the first bell rings, some Lee County students still don't know which school they
- Duval County school district reassigns nearly 40 teachers just before start of year
- > Aug 8, 5:47 AM: Florida education officials didn’t tell Duval until last Thursday — 11 days before school opens — that the district must remove these low-scoring teachers from the schools or face ramifications, including loss of money for
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%