- As feud grows, Lincoln charter school supporters ready to take on Manatee school district
- Jul 15, 7:03 AM: Regardless of whether they resulted from bad intentions at the district or failed leadership at the school, it was clear that every hurdle caused anxiety among parents, staff and students at Lincoln.
- Opinion: School choice: Time to stop the lies
- > Jul 15, 5:15 AM: For opponents of choice, this is a deliberate strategy. They engage in simplistic talking points that are not true. They cling to disproven arguments when they know better. They replace facts with myths when the facts
- Charter school earns its 17th straight ‘A’
- > Jul 12, 6:42 AM: Another successful year is officially on the books for The Villages Charter School. For its 17th consecutive year, the charter school received an “A” rating for the 2018-19 school year, according to data released by the
- Opinion: Why not attend a traditional public school? Choice might depend on time, place, situation
- > Jul 12, 5:33 AM: I couldn’t help but reminisce while reading a column from my colleague, Gil Smart, who had a difficult time fathoming why so many parents — about 20 percent in Indian River County — “bail out” of traditional public
- Editorial: Collier School Board special meeting on Mason Academy suggests rush to judgment
- > Jul 11, 5:29 AM: Collier County Public Schools Superintendent Kamela Patton, in consultation with School Board Chairman Roy Terry, has called a special meeting for Thursday to discuss the possible termination of the district's charter with
- School Board to hold vote on Mason Classical's charter while Mason prepares for legal action
- > Jul 10, 6:52 AM: In the wake of a yearlong investigation into Mason Classical Academy and Hillsdale College's recent decision to end its relationship with the charter school, the Collier County School Board has set a vote Thursday on
- Lack of facility delays opening of county’s first dual-language charter school
- > Jul 10, 6:12 AM: Sarasota County’s 12th charter school — and the first to be aimed at ensuring a dual-language Spanish education for district students — will not open for the 2019-2020 academic year, one of the school's founders said.
- Leaders with Lincoln Memorial Academy file complaint against Manatee County School District
- > Jul 10, 6:03 AM: There’s more controversy surrounding Lincoln Memorial Academy in Palmetto.The school has had several financial issues including not being able to pay bills and falling delinquent on retirement contributions for teachers.
- Tallahassee Community College seeks to build on matching students to local careers
- Jul 9, 5:03 AM: The TCC2Work initiative comes at a time when states are being challenged to step up to meet the demands of today’s workforce outside of a traditional university track.
- Florida’s making progress as school choice expands | Opinion
- > Jul 8, 5:02 AM: Contrary to a mountain of evidence, critics continue to insist public education in Florida has gone off the rails, and school choice is to blame. Even in this era where facts matter less and less, this is rich.
- Miami-Dade educator named director of Florida Virtual School
- > Jul 2, 6:29 AM: After reports about questionable spending and other problems, the State Board of Education on Monday began acting as trustees of the Florida Virtual School and named a longtime Miami-Dade County educator to serve as
- Taking scholarships from low-income kids doesn’t help anyone | Opinion
- > Jul 2, 6:25 AM: More than 175,000 of Florida’s most disadvantaged schoolchildren — two-thirds of whom are black or Hispanic and live barely above poverty — have applied to Step Up for Students for state-supported scholarships this fall to
- Lincoln Memorial’s finances are ‘deteriorating.’ Charter school says district is to blame
- > Jun 28, 7:51 AM: The finger-pointing has continued between Lincoln Memorial Academy and the Manatee County School District, sparked by reports of a “deteriorating financial condition” at the Palmetto-based charter school.
- This city wants to pay its charter school teachers more. It may not be easy.
- > Jun 28, 7:40 AM: The city of Aventura, home to two charter schools, has voted to take legal action against the Miami-Dade County school district to get a share of funding raised by the recently passed property tax referendum benefiting
- Fewer scholarships for low-income kids doesn’t help anyone
- > Jun 28, 6:54 AM: More than 175,000 of Florida’s most disadvantaged schoolchildren — two-thirds of whom are black or Hispanic and live barely above poverty — have applied to Step Up for Students for state-supported scholarships this fall to
- Opinion: Facts are on the side of school choice
- Jun 27, 8:04 AM: Opponents of school choice are loud, persistent and well funded. But in Florida, they are not winning. The reason is simple: the arguments for school choice are compelling.
- IDEA Academy confirms setting its sights on Jacksonville
- > Jun 27, 7:33 AM: Ever since Duval schools Superintendent Diana Greene’s face-off with Florida Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran at a State Board of Education meeting this spring, a new phrase has been floating around the district —
- Editorial: Get a grip on voucher schools or watch the grifters descend on Florida
- Jun 26, 7:08 AM: "The Family Empowerment Scholarship will provide quality choices for all students regardless of Zip-Code or Socio-economic status!” tweeted state Sen. Manny Diaz, a South Florida Republican.
- Governor DeSantis signs bill geared toward expanding vocational training
- Jun 25, 6:57 AM: Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed an education bill Monday that includes efforts to expand workforce training and apprenticeships.
- Florida flunks oversight of charter schools | Editorial
- > Jun 25, 6:14 AM: Florida just got a report card on the state’s oversight of charter schools. The state flunked.We will note up front that the report came from the National Education Association. The teachers union has developed an
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%