- Outside consultants poised to take over as many as 10 local public schools
- > Mar 23, 7:06 AM: Districts were given a short menu of options that included closing the schools or creating district-run charters, essentially a hybrid between traditional public schools and those run by private management companies. They
- Proposal encouraging district-charter school competition moves closer to ballot
- > Mar 23, 5:08 AM: A proposal to loosen requirements on the state's highest-performing school districts so they can better compete with charter schools moved forward Wednesday, putting it one step closer to being on the ballot in November.
- Hernando charter school group reapplies with revised plan
- Mar 23, 4:39 AM: The group behind a charter school application withdrawn last year amid criticism by Hernando County school officials has reapplied with a revised plan to be reconsidered next month.
- Proposal to allow a state charter school authorizer advances in Florida Constitution Revision Commission
- > Mar 22, 5:12 AM: The last time Florida lawmakers tried to set up an independent charter school authorizer, an appellate court struck it down as facially unconstitutional. Now, the Florida Constitution Revision Commission wants to revise
- Charter schools firm asks districts to provide resource officers to all its campuses by April 1
- Mar 21, 6:57 AM: Just days after Gov. Rick Scott signed Florida's new school safety rules into law, one of the state's largest charter schools made a big ask of the 13 districts where it operates.
- Editorial: Legislature should start over on schools budget, not shortchange South Florida
- > Mar 16, 5:04 AM: For South Florida, it’s even worse. In an interview with the Sun Sentinel Editorial Board, Broward County School District administrators explained that the Legislature shifted $56 million of the base student allocation
- Column: Private-school choice works
- > Mar 14, 5:54 AM: Several months ago, the highly regarded Urban Institute released the first-ever analysis of college enrollment and degree-attainment rates of students using the Florida Tax Credit Scholarship. The scholarship is the
- Voters would back school board term limits
- Mar 14, 5:50 AM: A proposed constitutional amendment that would impose eight-year term limits on members of county school boards would pass comfortably if it goes on the November ballot, according to a new poll.
- District may close troubled Wellington charter school
- > Mar 13, 4:49 AM: Palm Beach County public school leaders are moving to shut down Eagle Arts Academy, saying the controversy-plagued Wellington charter school is hemorrhaging money and that its executive director last year steered tens of
- Private voucher schools face new rules but still free to hire teachers without degrees
- > Mar 13, 4:43 AM: Florida private schools that take state scholarships face some new rules but are still free to do what public schools cannot — hire teachers who haven’t earned bachelor’s degrees — under a new law Gov. Rick Scott signed
- Ron Matus: Voucher programs an opportunity in public education
- > Mar 12, 6:18 AM: In the eyes of critics, students who benefit from school choice in Florida are “special interests.” It’s a knock oft repeated for two decades, most recently in Thursday’s editorial in the Star-Banner. But it still
- Private-school voucher plan for bullied children becomes law
- > Mar 12, 5:30 AM: Bullied students could get money to transfer to private schools, and the state’s popular Bright Futures scholarships for college students will become even more valuable, under legislation signed into law Sunday by Gov.
- Sheriff's deputies at all St. Lucie County public schools except charters; Parents share concerns
- > Mar 8, 7:17 AM: Did a new line of defense at St. Lucie County schools make other local schools more vulnerable? Some schools were left out of the sheriff's office plan to put a deputy at every school. Renaissance Charter School is a
- Duval School Board recommends 12 charter contract extensions
- Mar 8, 6:56 AM: The Duval County School Board Tuesday voted to extend the lives of 12 charter schools, including one that has only D or F ratings.
- Virtual school allows St. Johns students to pursue outside interests
- > Mar 6, 7:10 AM: With online classes she taps into when she has blocks of time free, Imani is able to keep up with school even as she sets off to Costa Rica or Mexico for competitions. What began in 2008 as a pilot program with just 45
- Bill expanding Florida school vouchers heads to Gov. Scott
- Mar 6, 5:48 AM: More sweeping changes are headed toward Florida’s public schools, including the use of sales-tax credits to help students attend private schools.
- After late changes beneficial to charter schools, Florida Senate OKs education bill
- > Mar 5, 7:22 AM: A landmark bill that will reshape education passed the Florida Senate on Friday, but it underwent significant changes this week. A major amendment filed Thursday night was hashed out in negotiations with House members,
- Clause that could force teachers unions to disband back in Senate bill
- > Mar 1, 7:02 AM: The Florida Senate Appropriations Committee on Tuesday approved a far-reaching education bill that would let bullied students transfer to private schools and could force teachers unions to disband if they don’t meet new
- Senate committee advances controversial education bill with new vouchers, union-‘busting’ language
- > Feb 28, 6:47 AM: Legislation that would create two new de facto school voucher programs in Florida and make more than a dozen other changes to state education law — including adding a controversial new recertification requirement for
- Pinellas contracts with outside company to turn around struggling schools
- > Feb 28, 6:07 AM: Joining other districts across Florida, the Pinellas County school system is reluctantly entering new territory with an agreement that could put three struggling public schools in the hands of a private company.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%