- Florida House scales back wide-ranging school choice plan
- Mar 29, 6:11 AM: A wide-ranging school choice bill was stripped down before passing a key subcommittee Tuesday, but the shape of the final legislation is still in flux as it nears the House floor.
- Manatee Charter, school district close to agreement
- Mar 28, 5:23 AM: Manatee Charter School and the School Board of Manatee County are close to a deal that would allow the charter to continue operating in the district, according to lawyers from both sides.
- Jefferson County selects charter school company
- > Mar 23, 6:10 AM: In a decision Education Commissioner Pam Stewart called "historic," the Jefferson County school board voted unanimously Tuesday to accept the application of Somerset Academy, Inc. to operate local schools and become the first
- Charter school operators criticize Florida’s new capital outlay funding rule
Florida charter school operators took issue Wednesday with proposed rules governing their access to state capital outlay funding, a subject of heavy debate almost annually in Tallahassee.
Mar 23, 5:09 AM:
- Legislature to discuss expanding controversial teacher bonus program
- Mar 22, 6:33 AM: The Florida Legislature might not scrap its controversial bonus program tying teachers to old ACT or SAT scores, but it has acknowledged change is in order.
- Lincoln Middle School votes to begin charter conversion
- Mar 20, 6:50 AM: The Lincoln Memorial Middle School staff and community has voted overwhelmingly to apply to convert to a charter school.
- Thousands of students apply to OCPS magnet programs every year
- Mar 17, 7:14 AM: The application process began in November with a deadline set for Feb. 15. But with so many applicants - 3,906 to be exact - the district reported that not all students will be placed in a magnet program.
- School board OKs Palm Bay Elementary
- Mar 16, 5:43 AM: The new school will add kindergarten through fifth grade to the offerings of Palm Bay Education Group, which already operates Palm Bay Preparatory Academy for grades 6-12 next to Northstar Church in Panama City.
- Impending ruling could cost Indian River County School District millions
- Mar 15, 6:47 AM: A multimillion-dollar dispute that has dragged on between five charter schools and the school district for almost two years could be nearing an end.
- Jenkins gives report about alternative charter schools
- > Mar 15, 5:02 AM: On Tuesday, she said she started speaking with principals about students attending alternative charter schools last summer, including discussing allegations about forced enrollment during a meeting in December. In the following
- More than 3,000 Central Florida students seek school transfers so far
- Mar 14, 5:26 AM: More than 3,000 students in Lake and Osceola counties want to transfer to new schools in August, taking advantage of a Florida law that allows them to attend any public school that has room.
- Charter vs. public schools: Will state fund construction or is local tax hike coming?
- > Mar 9, 6:22 AM: Senators behind the measure (SB 376) envision the final bill would have two main elements: It would require school districts to share local tax dollars with charter schools — and it would give school boards the freedom to raise
- School disputes move to not renew its charter
- > Mar 9, 6:15 AM: Teitelbaum laid out a damning case, citing a host of violations by the school, including a chaotic learning environment, shoddy record keeping and declining test scores. The letter describes a “lack of student engagement,” “extreme
- School voucher programs: Florida House panel votes to expand, boost funding
- > Mar 8, 7:07 AM: Florida’s scholarship programs for students with disabilities and for those from low-income families — state-run initiatives that pay private-school tuition — would be expanded under a proposal a Florida House panel approved
- Hundreds of Lake County parents apply for student transfers under new law
- Mar 8, 6:24 AM: Hundreds of parents in Lake County recently took advantage of a new state law that allows them to apply to transfer their students to different schools.
- School Board members, Vitti question charter, alternative schools’ graduation rates
- > Mar 6, 7:15 AM: The Duval County School district still suffers from an artificially low graduation rate because most charter high schools and contract schools still struggle with their main mission: to get at-risk students ready for diplomas,
- Pinellas ‘Transformation Zone’ schools showing signs of progress, officials say
- Mar 3, 6:14 AM: At eight of the lowest performing schools in Pinellas County, district officials see promising signs: academic growth, reductions in suspensions and discipline referrals, better teaching and improved attendance.
- Florida Tax Credit Scholarship In the Spotlight
- > Mar 1, 7:57 AM: Denisha Merriweather, who received a school voucher from Florida's tax credit scholarship program to attend a private school and eventually became the first member of her family to graduate from high school and college, will be a
- Orange approves alternative charter school for renewal
- Mar 1, 6:25 AM: Saying Sunshine High School offers a “last chance” for students to graduate, the Orange County School Board voted unanimously to renew its contract Tuesday night.
- Amid calls for closure, Broward charter becoming a private school
- Mar 1, 5:55 AM: Lauderdale Lakes charter school accused by the Broward School District of forgery and frivolous spending announced Monday it will convert to a private school.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%