- Cape Coral mayor storms out of meeting about charter schools
- Apr 25, 6:41 AM: In what was billed as a discussion on best practices for the Cape Coral Charter School System, Mayor Marni Sawicki became so agitated she left in the middle of a Cape Coral City Council meeting Monday night.
- Activists see conspiracy in plan to help charter schools
- > Apr 24, 7:12 AM: Beth Overholt is gearing up for a showdown on high-stakes testing and charter schools. But first, she has to get across town in mid-day traffic. Pick up her high school senior – class valedictorian - and head to Atlanta to check
- Fight over new charter school on Sunset Drive will continue into May
- Apr 21, 6:21 AM: Sunset Drive residents will have to wait a little longer to find out whether a new mega charter school is going up across the street.
- ‘Schools of hope’ at odds with public schools
- > Apr 21, 5:40 AM: A bill in the Florida Legislature could provide $200 million to replace more than 100 failing public schools with charter schools, but neither local school district nor existing charter school officials are enthusiastic about the
- Children’s Commission staff, board at odds over charter schools receiving city dollars
- Apr 20, 6:28 AM: The commission’s CEO, Jon Heymann, was critical of the board’s decision to essentially allow public and charter schools to compete for afterschool and summer-camp dollars through their nonprofit foundations.
- Jefferson board inks 5-year contract with charter company
- Apr 20, 6:10 AM: The Jefferson County School Board voted unanimously Tuesday night to approve a 5-year contract with Somerset Academy, Inc., the charter company selected to operate the district.
- New charter school comes to Westchase
- Apr 20, 5:37 AM: Parents and students have a new school option beginning the 2017-2018 school year. Avant Garde Academy Westchase is a new charter school that's open to students entering kindergarten through 6th grade.
- Senate opens up to ‘schools of hope’ as opposition gathers
- > Apr 20, 5:35 AM: The chairman of the Senate’s public education budget committee signaled openness this week to one of the House’s top priorities in spending negotiations, even as opponents began a counterattack against the “Schools of Hope”
- Florida Senate’s version of ‘schools of hope’ prioritizes help for traditional sch
- > Apr 19, 6:12 AM: A top Florida senator on Tuesday rolled out his version of a comprehensive plan to help students who attend perpetually failing public schools in Florida — proposing to offer additional resources to those traditional schools, rather
- Hillsborough school officials say charters could help ease impact of enrollment boom
- > Apr 19, 5:01 AM: With the district facing at least $1 billion in construction needs on top of close to another $1 billion in debt, School Board chairwoman Cindy Stuart said, "I think this is an amazing opportunity for us to, as much as I don't want
- Clay School Board approves open enrollment plan
- Apr 18, 6:29 AM: Families have until May 8 to apply to enroll their children in the Clay County school of their choice if it has classroom space available, according to the school district’s new Controlled Open Enrollment plan.
- Large counties push back on House’s proposed $200M charter school incentive
- > Apr 18, 4:50 AM: Administrators at some of Florida's largest school districts are speaking out in opposition to House Republicans' $200 million "schools of hope" plan that would pit new, specialized charter schools against the districts' perpetually
- Pasco County anticipates jump in charter school enrollment
- Apr 14, 6:49 AM: School district planners are projecting a 23 percent increase in charter enrollment in the fall, from 3,930 students to 4,835. That's with only one new charter school opening with a cap of 250 students.
- Florida House OKs bill funneling $200 million to charter schools
- > Apr 14, 5:50 AM: A package of education proposals tied to the state budget, including one creating a program to encourage charter schools to set up near academically troubled traditional schools, passed the House on Thursday amid heated
- Senate has different ideas for ‘schools of hope’ dollars
- > Apr 13, 5:49 AM: The senator in charge of negotiating education spending for next year's budget said late Wednesday the Senate is willing to consider the House's $200 million plan to help students in perpetually failing public schools -- but not
- After Hearing and Negotiations, School Board to Vote on Extending Manatee Charter’s Contract for One
- > Apr 11, 6:12 AM: Nearly one month ago, the future of a local, 700-plus student charter school seemed headed toward shutting down, after the Manatee School Board advised that it would not extend the charter's contract, citing multiple failures to
- Major interest in new Clay County charter school
- Apr 11, 5:39 AM: A new charter school is opening in Fleming Island next school year, and there's already a waiting list to attend.
- Frustration grows over Florida ‘school choice’ law
- Apr 6, 6:36 AM: Next school year, a new law goes into effect that is designed to allow parents to choose where their kids go to school, even if it’s outside their district.
- Bridge Academy charter school facing probation
- > Apr 5, 5:50 AM: Duval schools might have to close and give away three middle schools to a charter school operator next school year if a bill moving fast in Florida’s House gets approved, district leaders said Tuesday during a School Board
- Florida charter school group challenges new State Board rule on capital funding
- Apr 5, 5:33 AM: Contending the Florida Board of Education overstepped its bounds, the Florida Association of Independent Public Schools had filed an administrative complaint over the board's new rule on charter school capital funding.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%