- Florida Priorities Summit panel: Education system not benefiting all students
- Nov 15, 6:38 AM: Florida’s education system is improving, but too many students are still getting left behind, a panel of the state’s leaders in the field warned.
- 9 Investigates: More Orange County parents opt for charter schools
- Nov 14, 6:49 AM: Students are fleeing Orange County schools, some of which have gone through expensive renovations with your tax money.
- Duval School Board rejects charter school application
- > Nov 8, 7:32 AM: Duval County School Board members Wednesday denied a proposed charter school’s application to open next year after district officials said the school’s application falls short of state and federal requirements.
- Florida Supreme Court to hear arguments today in nearly decade-old education lawsuit
- > Nov 8, 6:42 AM: The case also challenges the adequacy of Florida school funding and questions the constitutionality of two of Florida’s popular school voucher programs. Those programs together pay for more than 100,000 students to attend
- School choice wins in Florida, advocates say
- Nov 8, 5:49 AM: One of Florida's most prominent school choice activists came away from Tuesday night's election results with one clear takeaway: Choice won.
- Charter applicant falls short, but persists in bringing before Duval School Board
- Nov 6, 7:09 AM: Duval County school district officials want the School Board to deny a proposed charter school’s application to open next year because the plan falls short of various state and federal requirements.
- No issue is more important to Florida’s future than education, influencers say
- Nov 5, 6:57 AM: The Influencers argued that education is intertwined with many of the problems Florida grapples with, so investing in K-12 and higher education now will pay dividends across the board down the road.
- Commentary: SAT scores reveal the depth of Florida's lousy education system
- Nov 5, 6:53 AM: Scores on the dreaded college readiness exam called the SAT came out last week, and they were no surprise: Florida’s performance was shameful.
- For choice options, Hernando families turn to magnets, charters, private schools
- Nov 2, 5:33 AM: Like other communities in Florida, Hernando County offers a range educational choices for families, including traditional public schools, charter schools, private schools and special magnet programs.
- Florida continues to expand school choice with new programs
- > Nov 1, 6:12 AM: Florida families continue to take advantage of school choice options in greater numbers, as the variety available to them grows with new programs.The latest, which debuted in October, is limited to students who report
- Thousands of Pinellas families choose charters, but enrollment stays flat
- > Nov 1, 6:03 AM: Charters are multiplying quickly across the state, with a total enrollment of 295,814 last school year — a 29 percent jump from five years ago. But charter enrollment has been flat in Pinellas, staying constant at about
- Survey shows Florida tax credit scholarships broaden choices for low income families
- Oct 31, 5:13 AM: A newly released survey of Florida tax credit scholarship recipients indicates the program greatly expanded the education options for the low income families the program serves.
- Orange teacher's resignation letter sparks debate
- > Oct 30, 6:25 AM: In her letter, Hicks, 36, said she was one of many fed up Orange teachers and urged school district leaders to heed their concerns about standardized testing, burdensome record-keeping and policies that lose sight of the
- This new program is preparing Hall students for careers in local industries
- Oct 30, 5:46 AM: Joel Grace has moved around some in the last few years, from Alabama to West Hall High School in Oakwood, and now finds himself at the Lanier College & Career Academy with a clear goal in mind.
- Column: Appointed or elected superintendent? What to consider as you decide
- > Oct 30, 4:45 AM: As one reflects on the question in front of Martin County voters for the Nov. 6 election — regarding whether the county will join the 20-plus Florida counties with appointed superintendents or remain with the 40-plus
- Clermont Council urged to reject charter school
- > Oct 29, 6:15 AM: Unhappy Clermont residents poured into the City Council meeting Tuesday to protest a controversial charter school approved earlier in October. The charter had been denied twice by the Lake County School Board until board
- Column: What Andrew Gillum Really Thinks about School Choice
- > Oct 29, 6:11 AM: As a parent, I’ve watched my own son’s school get the short end of the stick from a hostile school district. And I’ve seen attacks and resistance on charter schools across the state and nation. These charter-school haters
- Andrew Gillum could halt the nation's largest school choice program (CER in the news)
- > Oct 26, 7:29 AM: "A governor carries a huge imprimatur,” Allen told the Washington Examiner. “And talking negatively about charter schools and other school choice opportunities creates a chilling effect on growth. It discourages parents,
- Opinion: School choice is good for educators, too
- > Oct 26, 4:32 AM: Every educator dreams of positively impacting student lives. But not every educator feels they can. Not because they lack the skill, but because something above us obstructs and impedes our efforts. As teachers, we weren’t
- If property tax increase passes, will charter schools get more money? Carvalho answers.
- > Oct 25, 5:02 AM: After Miami-Dade charter schools posted a critical flier about the school district’s property tax referendum, Superintendent Alberto Carvalho announced that he will propose sharing funding with charter schools — if the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%