- Cape charters score among highest on Florida Standards test
- May 26, 6:19 AM: The city of Cape Coral's two municipal elementary schools are among Lee County's highest scoring public schools on the third grade Florida Standards Assessment English Language Arts test.
- Offering a new choice for K-8 students
- May 26, 5:47 AM: Collier Charter Academy, opening in August on Immokalee Road, gives students a choice other than traditional public school education.
- Jefferson County teachers to lose jobs due to charter takeover
- May 25, 5:39 AM: As Somerset Charter comes into the mix in Jefferson County, nearly half of their instructional staff will be lost in the transition.
- Can this Florida school district be saved? A charter school operator hopes so
- May 25, 5:08 AM: A charter school company is taking over a struggling county school district east of Tallahassee, and half of its teachers will be out of a job this coming school year, a county education official said.
- Homeschooling Makes Learning Personal For Some Special Education Students
- > May 23, 7:00 AM: Today, Dorothy is homeschooling her son and daughter with the help of a novel item on the school choice menu: the Gardiner Scholarship. This voucher program, created in 2014, can be used by students with specific disabilities,
- Broward teachers to Gov. Scott: veto the education bill
- May 23, 6:14 AM: Broward teachers added their voices to those calling on Gov. Rick Scott to veto an education bill they say favors charter schools.
- Goodwill LIFE Academy will close, board pulls its charter
- May 23, 5:39 AM: Tears were shed as a seven-member panel voted unanimously to close Goodwill LIFE Academy on Monday, bringing the charter school's 12-year run to an end in Fort Myers.
- Floridians are weighing in on public schools bill. Most want a veto.
- > May 19, 7:05 AM: By a margin of at least 3-to-1 so far, Floridians are telling Gov. Rick Scott they want him to veto a controversial $419 million K-12 public schools bill House Republicans pushed through at the end of session, according to
- Miami-Dade rejects plans for new charter school near the Palmetto and Sunset
- > May 19, 6:51 AM: On Thursday, the Miami-Dade County Commission rejected Somerset Academy’s plans to build a new charter school on Sunset Drive near the Palmetto Expressway, ending a bitter two-year fight that has pitted neighbors against each
- Charter schools may get additional funding source
- May 19, 6:38 AM: Charter schools in Cape Coral and countywide would receive a portion of the local property tax revenue collected by the Lee County School District if the governor signs a new bill into law.
- National school choice group: HB 7069 ‘helps successful charter schools grow’ (CER in the news)
- > May 18, 7:00 AM: The Washington, D.C.-based Center for Education Reform, a national school choice group, is calling on Gov. Rick Scott to sign HB 7069 -- the controversial and sweeping education policy bill lawmakers unveiled and passed at the end
- For Families With Special Needs, Vouchers Bring Choices, Not Guarantees
- > May 18, 6:44 AM: But, when it comes to vouchers for special ed, the problem, say legal experts, is twofold: not enough rights and not enough money. Lynn and six other Florida families interviewed for this story have transferred again and again,
- House Speaker hopes Scott won’t veto controversial education bill
- > May 18, 5:03 AM: Two days after Gov. Rick Scott hinted at vetoing a controversial $419 million, 278-page education bill that narrowly passed the Legislature a week ago, Florida House Speaker Richard Corcoran visited the Miami-Dade Legislative
- School groups calling on Scott to veto education bill
- May 17, 5:06 AM: A growing number of groups are calling on Gov. Rick Scott to veto a sweeping education bill that was put together in the waning hours of this year’s legislative session.
- Veto schools bill and education budget, critics urge Gov. Scott
- > May 16, 4:25 AM: Gov. Rick Scott faces mounting pressure from school superintendents, teachers unions and parent groups to veto $23.7 billion in base funding to K-12 public schools next year — as well as a controversial $419 million education
- Charter school advocates celebrate win in education budget
- May 11, 4:50 AM: School choice proponents celebrated a major victory Monday after Florida lawmakers approved a far-reaching education budget that will allocate more than $400 million to charter schools and teacher bonuses.
- Success and Strife: Cape Coral charter schools praise national ranking
- > May 10, 5:48 AM: If the Cape Coral Charter School Authority doesn’t keep its schools repaired, presentable and its teachers well paid, the members of its governing board fear they’ll lose students. For a system that hopes it has put months of
- Stop charter schools from profiting off taxpayers? Nope, deal kills proposed ban.
- May 9, 5:03 AM: Lawmakers were on track this spring to enact long-sought safeguards to stop businesses from turning a profit off public money intended for charter school capital projects.
- Duval school leaders say education bill will decimate schools; want Scott veto
- > May 9, 4:59 AM: Leaders of Duval County Public schools urged voters Monday to call on Gov. Rick Scott to veto the entire state budget bill because provisions in it may drastically cut public school funding, programs and even whole schools in
- Charter students, especially minorities, score better on Florida tests, report finds
- May 8, 6:44 AM: Few issues in education inspire more debate than the issue of charter schools vs. traditional public schools. And few places is that debate more heated — or more partisan — than in Florida.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- 2 WBBH 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%