- Public school enrollment up in Miami-Dade this year
Miami-Dade County Public Schools leads the tri-county area in school enrollment totals this year.
Sep 19, 9:59 AM:
- Classical education charter schools on the rise in Florida
Seven Hillsdale charter schools are opened, with more on the way
Aug 12, 10:00 AM:
- Broward district is asking voters to double tax rate to boost teacher pay, school safety
Broward voters are faced with whether they want to increase their property taxes for the next four years to finance raises for teachers, hire more school security staff and bolster mental health programs in Broward >
Aug 12, 8:58 AM:
- Seaside School Inc. ranked No. 1 combination charter school in Florida. Details on the scores
SANTA ROSA BEACH — With the opening of the new 2022-23 school year, The Seaside School Inc. (TSS) continues to earn top academic rankings by claiming the No. 1-ranked combination charter school in Florida for the 2021-22 >
Aug 9, 8:53 AM:
- Florida ‘parental rights’ law leads to more responsibilities for parents
Parents face added responsibilities as they receive broader rights over the services their children may receive in Florida schools.
Jul 25, 10:44 AM:
- DeSantis administration allows Florida veterans without degrees to teach in schools
The new directive permits military veterans and their spouses who completed at least 48 months of military service to receive a five-year certificate allowing them to teach in the state's public schools, even if they >
Jul 22, 10:41 AM:
- Florida School Districts Continue to Face Teacher Shortages
- > Jul 13, 7:11 AM: As of this week, Duval County Public Schools reported 529 vacancies for certified teachers, up 23 percent – nearly 100 positions — compared to the start of last school year. This year’s vacancies are almost double the
- Test scores up, achievement gap closing for Hillsborough County Schools
- Jul 12, 8:33 AM: Hillsborough County Public Schools is celebrating its latest FSA test scores. HCPS jumped 16 spots to become the 19th ranked school district in Florida.
- Florida teacher shortage worsens ahead of new school year
- > Jul 8, 9:07 AM: With less than two months until the start of the new academic school year in Florida’s public schools, the state’s teacher shortage is worsening, with estimates fearing that vacancies could double by the end of 2022.
- Largest teachers union: Florida is 9,000 teachers short for the upcoming school year
- Jul 5, 8:46 AM: A Florida Education Association report showed more than 9,500 teaching and support staff positions across the state of Florida are vacant.
- Rapid growth sparks classroom demand for some Florida schools
- Jun 8, 10:07 AM: Some Florida school districts shrank during the pandemic, as some students found other options they preferred and some just stayed away.
- Student absences shot up this school year, prompting fears of further learning losses
- Jun 6, 8:58 AM: By March, 31% of Lake County, FL students had missed 10% or more of the school year, a level of absenteeism that experts say puts children at risk academically.
- The reading gap between Black and white students in Florida is 29 points. It’s wider in some local districts
- > Mar 29, 9:23 AM: The data from the 2020-21 school year shows a gap of 29 percentage points between the reading levels of white and Black students across the state. And in Duval, St. Johns and Alachua county school districts, the gap is
- Charter schools must share in referendum funding, court rules
- Mar 23, 6:18 AM: Florida’s 3rd District Court of Appeals ruled last week that Miami-Dade County charter schools are indeed eligible for funding approved through a 2018 voter-approved public school system referendum.
- Opinion: Miami Tech Charter School Answers Need for Talent
- > Mar 22, 8:19 AM: An editorial co-written by the mayor of Miami and a former governor of Florida praises work by the city and Miami Dade College to launch a tech-focused charter school amid the burgeoning tech industry there.
- Tampa native launches state's first-ever virtual reality charter school
- > Mar 17, 9:04 AM: Donalds is the founder and CEO of Optima Foundation, a Naples-based charter school organization. Donalds, a Tampa native, is combining her history of charter school administration with new virtual technology to create the
- Gov. DeSantis promises more money to schools to help close COVID achievement gaps
- Mar 17, 8:43 AM: The money will support a number of initiatives that are meant to help close learning gaps caused by two years of the COVID pandemic.
- Finding good in the bad: Escambia schools use federal-COVID funding to pilot new programs
- Mar 15, 9:39 AM: The pandemic played havoc on public school districts across the country, and the Escambia County School District did not escape the tumult.
- Lawmakers deliver a Gov. DeSantis priority — eliminating standardized testing
- Mar 15, 8:58 AM: Legislative leaders have sent Gov. Ron DeSantis a bill replacing the Florida Standards Assessment with progress monitoring, a priority of the Republican Governor as he seeks re-election.
- Corcoran to Leave Education Commissioner Post, Manny Diaz Frontrunner to Replace Him
- > Mar 11, 6:40 AM: State Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran, who has been an ally of Gov. Ron DeSantis on controversial issues such as student mask requirements and critical race theory, will step down from the post at the end of April,
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- The Deland-Deltona Beacon 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Jacksonville Business Journal - Online 0%
- West Orlando News Online 0%