District of Columbia
- Groups want D.C. Public Schools chancellor pick to equalize achievement
- > Dec 9, 7:26 AM: Parents, teachers, union leaders and education activists greeted Mayor Muriel Bowser’s nominee for D.C. Public Schools chancellor at a public legislative hearing on Thursday with a single directive: Close the achievement
- Advocates confident about D.C. vouchers under Trump administration
- Dec 2, 8:03 AM: Advocates are hopeful that President-elect Donald Trump’s education platform of expanding school choice could lead to more than a renewal of the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program.
- Northwest D.C. high school ranked no.1 public charter school
- > Nov 30, 7:30 AM: Teachers and students at BASIS DC High School have something to celebrate. "I've known from day one we were number one but it's really nice that other people are taking notice," 17-year-old Elle James chuckled.
- Trump could open door to expanding D.C. school voucher program, advocates say
- > Nov 28, 8:16 AM: The District is home to the nation’s only federally funded school voucher program, and for the past eight years, advocates for the program have been on defense, fighting to keep it alive under a president who opposes the
- Bowser names pick for next D.C. schools chancellor: Oakland schools chief Antwan Wilson
- > Nov 23, 6:39 AM: D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser could have chosen an insider to be the next chief of D.C. Public Schools, someone steeped in the personalities and policies of the past nine years that ushered in sweeping changes and turned the
- D.C.’s public charter school system turned 20 this year. Now what?
- > Nov 21, 8:12 AM: The District’s finances were in shambles. The city’s schools were widely underperforming. Drugs and violence continued to decimate the city’s poorest neighborhoods in the 1990s, rendering Washington the nation’s murder
- D.C. releases report of city’s best- and worst-performing charter schools
- > Nov 21, 6:18 AM: The annual School Quality Reports examine the city’s more than 100 charter schools to determine if they are meeting citywide standards. The assessments consider a range of factors, including performance on standardized
- School choice champion Sen. Tim Scott cruises to re-election
- > Nov 9, 6:02 AM: Scott has been a champion for school choice since he joined the Senate in 2013. He introduced the CHOICE Act, which would expand school choice for disabled children, military families and low-income families in Washington,
- D.C.’s Board of Education candidates want to close disparities between schools
- Nov 2, 5:26 AM: The nine candidates vying for seats on the D.C. State Board of Education agree that addressing disparities and inequities in the city’s schools should be a top priority.
- Building block: D.C. task force to examine charters’ facility challenges
- > Oct 26, 6:42 AM: As the city’s Cross-Collaboration Task Force of district and charter school representatives tackles mutual education concerns, members will soon address one of the most challenging aspects of opening and financing a
- D.C. charter enrollment continues to soar as more families choose public schools
- Oct 26, 5:22 AM: Enrollment in D.C. public schools continues to climb, especially in the charter schools, according to unaudited numbers from the Office of the State Superintendent of Education.
- Andre Agassi’s Rocketship Rise Academy thriving as charter schools take hold in D.C.
- > Oct 24, 7:08 AM: After a rocky start in the face of opposition from D.C. Public Schools, charter schools have made a place for themselves in the city since 1996, attracting investment from an array of nonprofit groups to provide education
- In D.C. charters, can school boards make quality schools? (CER in the news)
- Oct 13, 7:14 AM: Based on a Thomas B. Fordham Institute survey of 325 members of 58 D.C. charter school boards, most have not served long terms, but they reciprocate with relevant work and training.
- For parents of rising kindergartners, school choice can add options — and stress
- > Sep 27, 6:25 AM: Preparing for kindergarten is already a process fraught with stress for many parents, who agonize over whether they — or their children — are ready and whether they have done enough to prepare their children for an
- D.C. charter school wins $10 million prize to redesign high school
- > Sep 15, 6:16 AM: When the Washington Leadership Academy opened its doors for the first time last month, it hoped students would be inspired not only by the stained-glass windows and vaulted ceilings of the former seminary building it
- A new school year begins with changes, innovations, new facilities
- Sep 6, 6:00 AM: Some new charter schools opened this year. Goodwill Industries is opening its first charter school in the District to help adults get a high school diploma instead of a GED.
- D.C. Charter Schools Outperform District's Public Schools
- > Sep 1, 6:14 AM: Final results of the second year of PARCC standardized testing in the District of Columbia released today show that the charter schools outperformed the traditional public schools in elementary and high school grades.
- What do parents want? A good school, not too far, and some other kids that look like them
- > Sep 1, 5:12 AM: Rich or poor, black or white, a family's decision of where to enroll their child in school is one of the most important, gut-wrenching, and revealing choices they can make. In DC, parents can choose from over 200 charter
- A top-performing D.C. school just saw a dramatic drop in its English test scores
- > Aug 31, 5:58 AM: The tests, administered in the spring, showed slight overall gains citywide compared with 2015, and a persistent achievement gap between white and minority students. Charter schools — which educate about half the public
- After 20 Years, Are Charters And DCPS Learning To Get Along?
- > Aug 29, 7:45 AM: Since the first charter schools opened in D.C. in the fall of 1996 — 20 years ago this year — KIPP's growth has paralleled the overall growth of the charter sector citywide. There are now close to 120 charter schools, and
Overall rating for
District of Columbia
Best Performing Outlets
- The Atlantic 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Greater Greater Washington, DC 0%
- WTOP-FM - Online 33%