District of Columbia
- New Bill Would Subject Charters to Same Transparency Rules as D.C. Public Schools
- > Mar 14, 5:31 AM: On Wednesday morning, Ward 6 Councilmember Charles Allen led a press conference for a bill he will introduce next week, the Public School Transparency Amendment Act of 2019. This bill would bring D.C. charter schools under
- Public Charter School in Southeast DC Fights to Stay Open
- > Mar 13, 7:18 AM: Two years ago, every member of the graduating class of a public charter school in Southeast D.C. was accepted into college, but this year the school is fighting to save its charter.National Collegiate Prep is being forced
- D.C.’s only unionized charter school filed another federal labor complaint — this time as its campus is shutting down
- Mar 7, 7:28 AM: Teachers at the District’s only unionized charter filed a federal labor complaint against their bosses Wednesday, six weeks after the charter network announced it would close its middle school campus.
- D.C. Council unanimously backs Lewis D. Ferebee as schools chancellor
- Mar 6, 8:20 AM: Lewis D. Ferebee was confirmed Tuesday as chancellor of the District’s public schools, receiving a vote of support from each of the 13 D.C. Council members.
- 'Never give up': Miss America, Miss DC 2019 encouraging DC charter school students (CER in the news)
- Feb 27, 8:38 AM: Franklin and Miss DC 2019 Allison Farris spoke in front of a group of DC charter school students and teachers as a part of the “Why America?” event put on by the Center for Education Reform.
- Here’s what’s coming — and when — at D.C.’s new ‘global school’
- > Feb 22, 8:00 AM: The bell at D.C.’s newest school will be ringing this fall. Whittle School & Studios at 4000 Connecticut Ave. NW will open its doors for classes Sept. 5, after taking over the former Intelsat S.A. headquarters last year
- Opinion: Rethinking education reform in D.C.
- > Feb 21, 8:22 AM: If policymakers pay close attention to what teachers, parents and students are saying, the District may stumble into insights to fix teacher turnover and tackle school instability. At public hearings, demoralized parents
- DC files suit against 4 parents, city employee for defrauding schools
- Feb 15, 8:44 AM: Four Maryland parents and a D.C. employee are in hot water with the city, facing fraud charges for allegedly enrolling their children in District schools.
- D.C. Council members consider nomination of schools chancellor
- Feb 13, 7:39 AM: D.C. Council members gave Lewis D. Ferebee on Tuesday a window into the political minefield that could await him if he is confirmed as the next chancellor of the District’s public school system.
- Debate Over Charter School Transparency Rooted In D.C.’s Struggle For Local Governance
- Feb 13, 6:21 AM: For years, D.C. officials and members of the public have struggled with transparency issues within the ballooning charter school system.
- D.C. residents call for a new chancellor to build trust and stability in schools
- > Feb 7, 8:10 AM: One by one, more than a dozen residents told D.C. Council members Wednesday evening they hope Lewis D. Ferebee — the mayor’s nominee to lead the city’s public schools — will succeed in ways his predecessors couldn’t.
- Should D.C. charter schools follow the same rules as traditional campuses?
- > Feb 5, 7:07 AM: A proposal to force charter schools to post more information to their websites has exposed a long-simmering debate in the District: Should traditional public schools and charter schools have to follow the same rules?
- Is Lewis D. Ferebee the leader to close D.C.’s achievement gap? His time in the Midwest may provide clues.
- > Jan 25, 7:42 AM: Ferebee built a national reputation for collaborating with charter schools and disrupting the status quo as he overhauled Indianapolis’s approach to public education. In addition to exploding the old model of elementary
- D.C.’s Only Unionized Charter School Faces An Abrupt Closure
- > Jan 25, 6:27 AM: This restructuring agreement would take the Chavez charter network from four schools to one by the end of 2020. Another middle school owned by the network was already scheduled to close by the end of the 2019-20 school
- Commentary: Parental prerogative and school choice
- > Jan 23, 7:20 AM: That’s what National School Choice Week is all about: Celebrating policies that put parents where they belong — in the driver’s seat. Case in point: the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program. For the last 15 years, it’s
- Parents and school officials upset after DC charter school being forced to relocate
- > Jan 14, 8:14 AM: Eagle Academy, a public charter school, has been teaching students in grades Pre-K through 3rd grade from it's building near Nationals Park since 2003. But now, the school is in jeopardy of losing it's building.
- D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program's future is uncertain
- > Jan 10, 8:35 AM: The D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program is funded through this year, but its future is uncertain under a Democrat-led House. Democrats have criticized voucher programs in general for redirecting funds from traditional
- D.C. Council prepares for rigorous confirmation hearing on pick for schools chancellor
- > Jan 7, 6:05 AM: Expressing “enormous frustration over education,” District lawmakers are vowing to rigorously review Mayor Muriel E. Bowser’s choice to lead the city’s schools, portending a potentially bruising confirmation process.
- Opinion: There’s reason to look hard at the new candidate to lead D.C. schools
- Dec 31, 7:40 AM: If the D.C. Council makes a New Year’s resolution , let’s hope it will resolve to perform more aggressive oversight of the D.C. Public Schools and to hold school leaders to account.
- D.C. officials investigate facility where charter schools send disruptive students
- > Dec 20, 7:40 AM: D.C. education officials are investigating a learning center operating out of a Southeast Washington house where charter schools temporarily send disruptive students and children awaiting transfer to other schools — even
Overall rating for
District of Columbia
Best Performing Outlets
- The Atlantic 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Greater Greater Washington, DC 0%
- WTOP-FM - Online 33%