District of Columbia
- Is your school worth one star or five? D.C. officials approve new rating system
- > Mar 23, 5:23 AM: Parents will be able to compare all D.C. public schools, regular and charter, under a newly approved rating system that assigns each school in the nation’s capital one to five stars based on test scores, attendance and other
- In first test of vouchers under DeVos, D.C. bill advances in House committee
- > Mar 13, 7:00 AM: A House committee advanced a bill Friday to renew D.C.’s federally funded vouchers program — the only one like it in the country — raising larger questions about whether the federal government should promote the use of tax dollars
- House Republicans’ school voucher bill exposes rift between D.C. mayor, council
- > Mar 8, 8:10 AM: A majority of the D.C. Council is urging House Republicans to phase out the federal school voucher program, splitting with D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser over the system that lets low-income families in the city use federal dollars to
- An Education PAC Is Phone-Banking D.C. Residents to Promote Controversial Policy
- Mar 2, 7:50 AM: Aided by such safe assumptions, the New York-based PAC recently injected itself into a complicated school debate when it employed phone banking that connected D.C. residents with their respective school board members.
- Will Trump expand D.C.’s school voucher program? Yes, says the organization that runs it.
- Feb 27, 7:10 AM: President Trump and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos have promised to expand alternatives to public schools, including vouchers that allow children to attend private and religious schools with the aid of taxpayer dollars.
- D.C. Charter Teachers Seek to Unionize (CER in the news)
- Feb 23, 7:56 AM: If the Paul Public Charter School teachers succeed, they’d be the first unionized charter employees in the nation’s capital.
- Teachers at a D.C. charter school seeking to unionize
- Feb 23, 7:02 AM: Teachers at a Washington charter school are pushing to unionize, citing the need to provide more resources for students, improve the school’s culture and reduce churn in the teaching force.
- New scrutiny on suspension rates in some well-known D.C. charter schools
- Feb 20, 7:24 AM: As D.C. officials consider how to keep as many of the city’s students in class as possible, the broadly worded discipline policies of two public charter school networks are coming under scrutiny.
- Feds cite D.C. charters for high suspension rates, particularly for black students
- Feb 14, 8:19 AM: A new Government Accountability Office (GAO) report says suspension and expulsion rates for charters in the capital city are double the national rate and disproportionately high for black students and those with disabilities.
- Many KIPP charter school alumni face financial hurdles in college, survey shows
- Feb 1, 7:59 AM: The KIPP public charter school network prides itself on its mission of putting disadvantaged students on the path to a college degree.
- Bowser proposes ‘walkability preference’ to make charter school choice easier in D.C.
- Jan 31, 5:59 AM: D.C. Public Schools students next year will be allowed to gain preferential admission to high-performing charter schools in their neighborhoods, thanks to a change in the city’s school lottery system.
- New rules aim to fix problem of thousands of student transfers during school year
- > Jan 24, 7:52 AM: More than 10,000 students transfer in and out of District schools in the middle of each school year, according to the Office of the State Superintendent of Education, creating disruptions that experts say are linked to lower
- District’s charter and traditional school principals to work together to solve problems
- > Jan 13, 7:20 AM: Beginning this month, 10 D.C. Public Schools principals and 10 charter school principals will immerse themselves in a graduate training program that will teach them how to navigate the complexities of running an urban school. The
- Antwan Wilson confirmed as chancellor of D.C. Public Schools
- Dec 21, 7:21 AM: The D.C. Council on Tuesday unanimously confirmed Antwan Wilson as the chancellor of D.C. Public Schools.
- D.C. families explore school options to prepare for common lottery
- Dec 13, 6:32 AM: In preparation for Washington, D.C.’s school applications kicking off Monday, thousands of parents and children began their search Saturday, Dec. 10, at a fair of 195 schools.
- Groups want D.C. Public Schools chancellor pick to equalize achievement
- > Dec 9, 7:26 AM: Parents, teachers, union leaders and education activists greeted Mayor Muriel Bowser’s nominee for D.C. Public Schools chancellor at a public legislative hearing on Thursday with a single directive: Close the achievement
- Advocates confident about D.C. vouchers under Trump administration
- Dec 2, 8:03 AM: Advocates are hopeful that President-elect Donald Trump’s education platform of expanding school choice could lead to more than a renewal of the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program.
- Northwest D.C. high school ranked no.1 public charter school
- Nov 30, 7:30 AM: Teachers and students at BASIS DC High School have something to celebrate. "I've known from day one we were number one but it's really nice that other people are taking notice," 17-year-old Elle James chuckled.
- Trump could open door to expanding D.C. school voucher program, advocates say
- > Nov 28, 8:16 AM: The District is home to the nation’s only federally funded school voucher program, and for the past eight years, advocates for the program have been on defense, fighting to keep it alive under a president who opposes the notion of
- Bowser names pick for next D.C. schools chancellor: Oakland schools chief Antwan Wilson
- > Nov 23, 6:39 AM: D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser could have chosen an insider to be the next chief of D.C. Public Schools, someone steeped in the personalities and policies of the past nine years that ushered in sweeping changes and turned the nation’s
Overall rating for
District of Columbia
Best Performing Outlets
- The Atlantic 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Greater Greater Washington, DC 0%
- WTOP-FM - Online 33%