- Christina OKs settlement in charter schools lawsuit
- Dec 2, 7:04 AM: Christina school board members approved a settlement to a lawsuit filed by 15 charter schools against the Delaware Department of Education and the district.
- Christina School Board OKs settlement in charter schools suit
- Dec 1, 7:36 AM: School board members on Wednesday approved a settlement to a lawsuit filed by 15 charter schools against the Delaware Department of Education and the Christina School District.
- Delaware education conference focuses on achievement gap
- Nov 15, 7:45 AM: The past few years' education reforms have not done enough to help disadvantaged children catch up, so Delaware's education system should make "closing the achievement" gap a top priority.
- Charter schools sue state, Christina
- Oct 6, 6:47 AM: Fifteen charter schools have filed suit against the state Department of Education and Christina School District to get what they claim is their fair share of funding.
- Wilmington's Prestige Academy to close in spring
- Oct 5, 6:32 AM: The Prestige Academy, an all-boys charter school in Wilmington, is planning to close its doors in June.
- Choice and charter funding formula still uncertain
- > Sep 2, 4:33 AM: Since the Department of Education sent bills last month to school districts based on the modified formula – which would mean a swing of millions of dollars more going to charter and choice schools in some cases – it has
- Charter funding firestorm continues
- > Sep 1, 6:42 AM: Backlash against changes to a formula that funds charter schools – which could mean a shift of millions of dollars from districts – caused the Department of Education to reverse course on implementing those changes for
- Teacher evaluations could see less focus on test scores
- Jun 21, 6:05 AM: Delaware would all but eliminate the role of test scores in teacher evaluations if a bill in the General Assembly passes. The practice has been part of an ongoing debate about measuring student achievement.
- Delaware STEM Academy loses charter
- > Jun 17, 7:20 AM: The state’s Charter School Accountability Committee and the secretary of education both recommended that the school’s charter be revoked two months ahead of its planned opening date due to low enrollment and uncertain
- Local makerspaces aim to revolutionize classroom experience
- > Jun 17, 6:21 AM: Sweeping the globe and in districts across Rockland, Westchester and Putnam counties are traditional classroom settings being supplemented with "makerspaces" — modern workshops filled with technology such as 3-D printers,
- Lawmakers override state code to let charter schools keep extra bus funds
- > Jun 13, 6:47 AM: Every year, Delaware allocates millions of dollars to help charter schools pay for the cost of busing students. According to state law, all Delaware schools are suppose to return any unused funding, but in each of the past
- Democrats kill 'school voucher' bill
- May 5, 5:45 AM: The House Education Committee overwhelmingly rejected a proposal Wednesday that would have allowed parents of children with special needs to use state money to pay for private education.
- Sussex Academy grows to serve all high school and middle school grades
- > Apr 25, 6:40 AM: Sussex Academy will have enrollment in all four high school grades next year. The Class of 2017 will be its first graduating high school class. The charter school opened under the name Sussex Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Delaware Democratic chair blasts GOP anti-poverty plan
- > Mar 31, 5:59 AM: Many of the proposed efforts involve the private sector, offering incentives to entice nonprofits or companies to help the government in combating poverty. They include plans to contract to outside organizations for
- Delaware Senate Republicans unveil bills aimed to combat poverty
- > Mar 30, 5:35 AM: The four tax credits proposed by Republicans would deal with scholarships, housing, apprenticeships and career-training programs. The scholarship plan would allow a person or organization to provide a donation that would
- Delaware charters: More trouble coming?
- Mar 2, 7:28 AM: In the past year alone, Delaware’s State Auditor has accused five charter schools of mismanaging taxpayer money...and there may be more to come.
- School redistricting, funding plan hits roadblock
- > Jan 22, 7:35 AM: A sweeping proposal to redistrict Wilmington schools and overhaul the state's education funding system stalled Thursday morning when the State Board of Education voted to send the plan back to the commission that created
- Delaware lawmakers spar over charter school audit bills
- Jan 20, 7:03 AM: Two lawmakers have proposed dueling bills over how charter schools are audited after a string of high-profile incidents in which charter leaders were caught misusing taxpayer funds.
- Panel: Changes needed for school choice applications
- > Dec 22, 5:39 AM: School choice should be easy, consistent and nondiscriminatory, but some application requirements have to go in order to achieve this, members of the state Enrollment Preferences Task Force said in a report released
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Delaware Online 58%
- Dover Post 50%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- News Journal 33%
- Associated Press (AP) - Dover Bureau 33%