- Delaware House passes charter school rules change
- May 22, 6:03 AM: Charter schools may soon no longer be able to use a five-mile radius surrounding the location as a screening tool for their student body.
- Charter School of Wilmington wins Envirothon
- > May 3, 6:57 AM: Charter School of Wilmington Team A won the 2017 Delaware Envirothon competition April 27 at University of Delaware’s Webb Farm in Newark, marking the school’s 18th win in the event’s 22-year history, including an unbroken
- Ex-Delaware education secretary: Union blocked progress
- > Apr 13, 5:47 AM: Delaware's former education secretary, Mark Murphy, said this week that the state's education union blocked progress in schools during his tenure, accusing it of focusing primarily on securing better health benefits and
- Delaware bill pushes changes to charter school rules
- Mar 29, 5:29 AM: Lawmakers are considering changes to charter school enrollment preferences and the school choice process.
- Delaware lawmakers: Changes to state Board of Education
- Mar 22, 6:21 AM: A panel of legislators decided Tuesday not to shut down the state Board of Education, but its members made it clear the board needs to make substantial changes.
- As enrollment declines, the Christina School Board wants to take a look at building usage
- Jan 11, 6:55 AM: Young adds with changing demographics due to attrition of students to charter and choice programs as a big reason for the shrinking number of students in the district.
- Delaware charter school settlement details released
- > Dec 6, 6:22 AM: All parties have signed off on an arrangement meant to redistribute dollars withheld from charter schools by sudden changes just before the start of the school year. A larger portion of those dollars now will be shared
- Christina OKs settlement in charter schools lawsuit
- Dec 2, 7:04 AM: Christina school board members approved a settlement to a lawsuit filed by 15 charter schools against the Delaware Department of Education and the district.
- Christina School Board OKs settlement in charter schools suit
- Dec 1, 7:36 AM: School board members on Wednesday approved a settlement to a lawsuit filed by 15 charter schools against the Delaware Department of Education and the Christina School District.
- Delaware education conference focuses on achievement gap
- Nov 15, 7:45 AM: The past few years' education reforms have not done enough to help disadvantaged children catch up, so Delaware's education system should make "closing the achievement" gap a top priority.
- Charter schools sue state, Christina
- Oct 6, 6:47 AM: Fifteen charter schools have filed suit against the state Department of Education and Christina School District to get what they claim is their fair share of funding.
- Wilmington's Prestige Academy to close in spring
- Oct 5, 6:32 AM: The Prestige Academy, an all-boys charter school in Wilmington, is planning to close its doors in June.
- Choice and charter funding formula still uncertain
- > Sep 2, 4:33 AM: Since the Department of Education sent bills last month to school districts based on the modified formula – which would mean a swing of millions of dollars more going to charter and choice schools in some cases – it has
- Charter funding firestorm continues
- > Sep 1, 6:42 AM: Backlash against changes to a formula that funds charter schools – which could mean a shift of millions of dollars from districts – caused the Department of Education to reverse course on implementing those changes for
- Teacher evaluations could see less focus on test scores
- Jun 21, 6:05 AM: Delaware would all but eliminate the role of test scores in teacher evaluations if a bill in the General Assembly passes. The practice has been part of an ongoing debate about measuring student achievement.
- Delaware STEM Academy loses charter
- > Jun 17, 7:20 AM: The state’s Charter School Accountability Committee and the secretary of education both recommended that the school’s charter be revoked two months ahead of its planned opening date due to low enrollment and uncertain
- Local makerspaces aim to revolutionize classroom experience
- > Jun 17, 6:21 AM: Sweeping the globe and in districts across Rockland, Westchester and Putnam counties are traditional classroom settings being supplemented with "makerspaces" — modern workshops filled with technology such as 3-D printers,
- Lawmakers override state code to let charter schools keep extra bus funds
- > Jun 13, 6:47 AM: Every year, Delaware allocates millions of dollars to help charter schools pay for the cost of busing students. According to state law, all Delaware schools are suppose to return any unused funding, but in each of the past
- Democrats kill 'school voucher' bill
- May 5, 5:45 AM: The House Education Committee overwhelmingly rejected a proposal Wednesday that would have allowed parents of children with special needs to use state money to pay for private education.
- Sussex Academy grows to serve all high school and middle school grades
- > Apr 25, 6:40 AM: Sussex Academy will have enrollment in all four high school grades next year. The Class of 2017 will be its first graduating high school class. The charter school opened under the name Sussex Academy of Arts and Sciences
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Delaware Online 58%
- Dover Post 50%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- News Journal 33%
- Associated Press (AP) - Dover Bureau 33%