- Public gives comments on possible probation for Odyssey Charter School
- > Jul 9, 5:41 AM: The Odyssey Charter School community gave public comments Monday night on a proposal to place the school on probation. Education Secretary Susan Bunting is set to present a final decision on Odyssey’s immediate fate to the
- New Sussex charter school eyes 2021 opening
- > Jul 3, 5:59 AM: The board’s idea is a public high school, starting with grades 9 and 10 and growing into grades 11 and 12. Their mission is to create students who are both globally- and community-minded leaders through service learning.
- Delaware Charter Schools get Good Grades for 2018-19 year
- Jun 24, 7:59 AM: Kendall Massett said the 2018-19 school year exemplified how charter schools in general are supposed to work.
- Bill would force state auditor to audit charter schools
- Jun 7, 7:19 AM: Lawmakers have introduced a bill requiring Delaware’s state auditor to conduct or contract for an audit of any charter school upon request by legislators or other state officials.
- All MOT Charter seniors offerered college acceptance
- May 17, 6:54 AM: This is the second year in a row for that achievement. Meanwhile, Simone Charlemagne became the first student from MOT Charter School to receive an appointment to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
- Proposed charter school would focus on area’s under-served youth
- > Apr 5, 6:52 AM: Although many in the area know Christy Taylor as a music instructor and musician, her speech to the Shore Democrats on Wednesday, March 20, centered on a different passion. Taylor — who has taught music in the Indian River
- Newark Charter students learn job skills through partnership with Buffalo Wild Wings
- > Jan 17, 5:52 AM: Before the doors open and customers place their orders at Buffalo Wild Wings, a good amount of preparation goes into the average day. Luckily, three Newark Charter School students are there to help – part of a program that
- State seeks to create more charter school seats with federal funds
- Dec 17, 6:02 AM: Earlier this fall, Delaware received a $10.4 million grant from the U.S. Dept. of Education to improve state’s charter school system.
- Newark Charter students create projects with real-life applications
- > Oct 19, 6:25 AM: Dual School connects students from schools like Newark Charter, William Penn, The Charter School of Wilmington, Cab Calloway, Concord High, Conrad Schools of Science and others. It also matches students with a mentor, who
- City, UD officials say Christina School District's reputation hurts economic development in Newark
- Oct 18, 5:19 AM: The perception and reputation of the Christina School District was thrust into the spotlight after several recent public meetings touched on the education system’s influence on the city.
- First State hopes to expand charter seats with federal grant
- > Oct 15, 4:28 AM: Officials say the funding will support sharing best practices between charter schools and other public schools and strengthening the charter school authorization process. It will also provide sub-grants to new charter
- Editorial: Charter school's abrupt closure raises troubling questions
- > Sep 28, 6:04 AM: The News Journal's editorial opinions are decided by its editorial board, which is separate from its news staff. The abrupt closure of the Delaware Academy for Public Safety and Security should spur state officials to take
- Delaware Academy of Public Safety and Security abruptly closes Tuesday
- Sep 26, 6:17 AM: The Delaware Academy of Public Safety and Security, which has been struggling to retain students and uphold academic standards, on Tuesday announced that it would be closing its doors — immediately.
- Delaware's SAT essay scores plummet as many colleges are dropping the requirement
- Aug 8, 6:42 AM: Three charter schools topped the state in English and math scores: Charter School of Wilmington, Newark Charter and Sussex Academy. They also did best on the essay.
- Here are the 7 charter schools at top and bottom of Delaware testing
- Aug 3, 6:33 AM: Two charter schools — Newark Charter School and Sussex Academy of the Arts and Sciences — rank among the most proficient in the state, according to state test results.
- Odyssey Charter School board struggles to cope after president Dimitrios Dandolos steps down
- > Jul 20, 7:43 AM: Odyssey Charter School parents and teachers have been packing board meetings this summer to question the hiring of a new co-administrator, the convening of committee meetings with little public notice and the resignation
- Opinion: Charter and traditional schools don't have to be adversaries
- > Jun 28, 6:19 AM: But what if the purpose of charters was to provide a few examples of what could be accomplished statewide through traditional public school empowerment? What if we were to shift operational decision-making power (hiring,
- Charter School of Wilmington educators vote to join Delaware State Education Association
- Jun 5, 5:53 AM: Educators at the Charter School of Wilmington voted last week to join the Delaware State Education Association, which will make it the only charter school in the state to be part of a union.
- Lawsuit: Delaware schools are leaving children in poverty behind
- > May 25, 5:16 AM: Giving students and teachers in so-called high-needs schools the support they need takes money, and a lawsuit filed by two civil rights groups — Delawareans for Educational Opportunity and the Delaware NAACP — demands the
- 100 percent of MOT Charter School's first graduating class accepted to college
- May 4, 6:58 AM: The excitement was palpable at MOT Charter High School in Middletown Thursday, as students and staff celebrated the fact that every single one of the school's 111 seniors has been accepted into college.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Delaware Online 58%
- Dover Post 50%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- News Journal 33%
- Associated Press (AP) - Dover Bureau 33%