- Column: Only in the Democratic primary would education reform carry a stigma
- > Jun 22, 7:04 AM: It is telling that the Democrat frontrunners and so many of their flock do in fact consider support for school choice and teacher performance evaluation as biting animadversions against the respective candidates. It
- Change in Colorado law sets up a ‘David and Goliath’ school choice battle no one saw coming
- > Jun 22, 4:37 AM: That’s the concern of small, relatively poor districts in Colorado after a last-minute provision tacked onto an unrelated bill in the closing days of the legislative session became law. It allows school districts to run
- Study: 35 percent of Colorado high school graduates need remedial classes in college
- > Jun 21, 6:40 AM: Weld County school districts had a higher rate of remediation than the state average; 52.3 percent of college-bound high-school graduates from Weld needed some form of remedial education, a 66.2 percent increase since
- Douglas County district pays $1.3 million to settle landmark special education case
- > Jun 21, 5:59 AM: The Douglas County School District has paid $1.32 million to settle a long-running special education case brought by a couple who sought reimbursement from the district for their son’s education at a private school for
- The public education candidate has the base. Is that enough to win the primary?
- > Jun 21, 4:58 AM: All four Democratic primary candidates say they want to put more money into public education. But Kennedy has made the issue the engine of her campaign. She has aligned herself specifically with the teachers unions and
- A few Colorado charter schools won ‘the lottery’ in this year’s round of school construction grants
- > Jun 20, 6:45 AM: Five Colorado charter schools are among the nearly three dozen schools getting new roofs, HVAC systems, or even entire new buildings courtesy of state land proceeds, lottery funds, and marijuana tax revenue.
- Monument voters will be asked to support two school financing proposals on Nov. 6 ballot
- > Jun 20, 6:43 AM: Leaders of the 6,700-student district in Monument want to build a 650-seat elementary school west of Bear Creek Elementary in the Jackson Creek neighborhood and convert Bear Creek back to a middle school for 925 sixth-,
- School board denies approval of STEM-based charter school
- > Jun 19, 7:04 AM: "It really brings a lot of technological innovation to students who are desperately needing it,” said parent Darick LaSelle, who serves on the board of directors for the proposed school, Alexandria School of Innovation. “I
- Denver’s largest charter network wins $250,000 national prize
- Jun 19, 6:16 AM: Denver’s largest homegrown charter school network, DSST, won a $250,000 prize Monday for its success educating students from low-income families and students of color.
- New Vision to build new charter school with private bond
- Jun 18, 7:16 AM: New Vision Charter School is building a new school on 10 acres about a block from its existing facility, allowing the school to grow its size and shrink its waiting list.
- Rural Schools and Teacher Shortages
- > Jun 18, 6:46 AM: Senate Bill 85 expands an existing program that provides incentives for rural teachers to obtain certification in concurrent enrollment or further their professional development and who commit to teaching in a rural school
- Denver Public Schools, teachers union battle over bonus pay
- > Jun 4, 7:27 AM: Just a month after thousands of teachers rallied at the Colorado Capitol for more money for public schools, pay hikes and pension protections, Denver Public Schools is still in a heated negotiation with the teachers' union
- Governor signs bill to help rural schools hire, retain top teachers
- > May 30, 6:26 AM: House Bill 18-1002 will enable the Department of Education to work with rural schools to implement a fellowship program. The term-limited Democratic governor signed the higher-education bill at Glenwood’s Colorado Mountain
- Apprentices make a splash in new program
- > May 29, 6:43 AM: CareerWise, a statewide public-private partnership founded by entrepreneur Noel Ginsburg and Gov. John Hickenlooper in 2016 and implemented in 2017, is based on the Swiss youth apprenticeship system. High school juniors
- New Fort Collins charter school cleared to open despite concerns from PSD's board
- May 29, 5:15 AM: Compass Community Charter School cleared one of the final hurdles to its planned August opening, despite some concerns expressed by the Poudre School District Board of Education.
- Denver approves more schools that will wait ‘on the shelf’ to open, despite pushback
- > May 29, 4:42 AM: Though they are modeled after successful existing schools, and though district officials feel an urgency to improve school quality districtwide, the three will wait with more than 20 others until a school building becomes
- Swallows charter school in line for new building
- May 25, 6:38 AM: Perseverance appears to be about to pay off for Swallows Charter Academy's five-year quest to build a new $20 million school for elementary school and middle school students.
- Manaugh Elementary faces outside management to improve performance
- > May 21, 5:42 AM: The Colorado Department of Education announced on May 10 that Montezuma-Cortez School District RE-1 will work with outside management organizations to improve student performance at Manaugh Elementary School.
- New charter school creating next generation of entrepreneurs
- > May 21, 5:20 AM: Kids are launching their own businesses through a Colorado Springs high school. It's a new charter school called Launch High School. Its goal is to help students learn the art of entrepreneurship before they graduate.
- Windsor Charter Academy Early College High School celebrates first graduating class
- > May 18, 6:48 AM: Although many public schools offer advanced placement courses, with a test at the end of the course, the charter academy college credits are based on the entire two-semester classes, and are guaranteed to transfer to any
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Gazette 92%
- KKCO-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Valley Courier - Online 17%
- KDVR-TV - Online / Fox31 17%