- New Summit Charter School wraps first semester: Academy School District 20's newest charter school focuses on relationships, love of learning
- Dec 19, 7:03 AM: District 20’s newest charter school is finding that focusing on building relationships and cultivating a lifelong love of learning is paying off for its students after just one semester.
- Opinion: It’s time to change Colorado’s school accountability system
- > Dec 19, 6:36 AM: While conversations about the school accountability system have been particularly challenging in Denver recently, there is much to be learned if we look a bit further from the Capitol. A discussion is already taking place
- Susana Cordova unanimously voted in as Denver Public Schools superintendent
- Dec 18, 7:42 AM: Former Denver Public Schools Deputy Superintendent Susana Cordova will take over as the district’s newest superintendent, the school board decided Monday.
- A clearer path
- > Dec 14, 7:23 AM: Twenty Cañon City High School students in the 2019-20 school year will begin a trek toward not only earning a high school diploma but getting some significant college credits under their belts — all at no cost.
- Troubled Global Village Academy charter school in Fort Collins told to close by June 30
- Dec 13, 7:42 AM: After years of turnover and turmoil, Global Village Academy in Fort Collins will have to fight to stay open after June 30 — otherwise about 177 students will have to find new schools.
- Lack of transportation, conflicting deadlines put school choice out of reach for some, study finds
- > Dec 12, 5:53 AM: More Colorado students use school choice to opt into traditional district-run schools than use it to attend charter schools. Those who do so are more likely to be white and middle- or upper-class than their peers. And
- OP-Ed: Vouchers mean greater school choice, empowered families
- > Dec 6, 5:52 AM: A recent letter to the editor in the Denver Post criticized a column by Krista Kafer headlined, “More school choice ahead for Colorado?” Kafer was cautiously optimistic about the possibility that our governor-elect, Jared
- Roaring Fork School District, charter schools discuss sharing infrastructure
- Dec 4, 7:17 AM: A years-long effort to bring local charter schools into a formal relationship with the Roaring Fork School District will continue, but what the final result will be is anyone’s guess.
- District, charter schools consider cooperation
- Dec 3, 7:43 AM: A years-long effort to bring local charter schools into a formal relationship with the Roaring Fork School District will continue, but what the final result will be is anyone's guess.
- Colorado Springs School District 11 rejects Mike Miles proposal for new charter school
- > Nov 29, 8:02 AM: Former Harrison School District 2 Superintendent Mike Miles wants to open a new charter school in the old Macy’s store at The Citadel mall, but he won’t be able to do so under the auspices of Colorado Springs School
- Editorial: Education reform could save the GOP
- Nov 28, 8:36 AM: School choice has become a divisive issue in Colorado, as the Colorado Education Association supports those Democrats most opposed vouchers, charters and other innovative school choice options.
- Cherry Creek district grounds Colorado Skies Academy charter school over low enrollment
- > Nov 26, 8:18 AM: A charter school aiming to teach middle-school students about space and aviation is being grounded by the Cherry Creek School District because organizers of the Colorado Skies Academy inflated the school’s enrollment
- With the school’s future in limbo, Salida del Sol advocates emphasize need for dual-language program in Greeley
- > Nov 19, 7:23 AM: But as it moves through its fourth year of operation, the school some say is important to the community and the east Greeley neighborhoods it serves faces an uncertain future due to low test scores and consistently low
- State board orders Boulder Valley to review charter school application District board voted in September voted not to consider incomplete application
- Nov 16, 5:57 AM: The Colorado State Board of Education on Thursday sided with the organizers of a classical charter school, ordering Boulder Valley School District to review the charter application.
- Commentary: School choice is an idea whose time has come.
- > Nov 16, 5:32 AM: Although the transition team includes the head of the Colorado Education Association and a former Democratic member of the Colorado State Board of Education, as one might expect, the other K-12-focused members are
- Adams 14 board rejects new KIPP charter school in district
- Nov 14, 6:15 AM: KIPP, the national charter school network, will not open a new school in the Adams 14 school district after board members voted against the network’s application Tuesday night.
- Polis’ 1st controversy as governor-elect: His picks for education transition team
- Nov 12, 8:53 AM: Friday’s announcement by Gov.-elect Jared Polis of who would work on his education transition team is generating controversy among some Colorado public education advocates.
- The Denver teachers union requested the names and salaries of all charter school teachers
- > Nov 8, 7:15 AM: The Denver teachers union used state law to make a public records request for the names, email addresses, and salaries of every charter school teacher in the school district — and Denver Public Schools complied and turned
- Backers of Amendment 73 look to the future as voters reject school funding measure
- Nov 7, 7:39 AM: With Colorado’s third attempt to raise taxes for education going down to defeat, backers of Amendment 73 looked to the future Tuesday.
- Why Are Achievement Gaps So Wide at Denver Public Schools?
- > Oct 29, 5:42 AM: The achievement gap between white and minority students in Denver Public Schools is one of the worst in the country. Despite the district’s efforts, we can’t seem to narrow that chasm. These students’ stories might explain
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Gazette 92%
- KKCO-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Valley Courier - Online 17%
- KDVR-TV - Online / Fox31 17%