- Kafer: Support school board candidates who know the value of school choice
Think you know the answer? Ten of the 15 top schools recently recognized by the government and U.S. News & World Report are schools of choice. Eight schools are public charter schools, which operate under independent >
Oct 11, 5:30 AM:
- Blue Ribbon Schools: Summit Middle Charter School Makes The List
- > Sep 27, 7:27 AM: According to the Department of Education, being named a Blue Ribbon school "affirms the hard work of educators, families and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging and engaging
- Charter home should be best fit for local school, state charter schools director says
- > Sep 23, 7:14 AM: When it comes time to reauthorize a charter school in Colorado, it’s not to be a competition between the state and local school districts, said the director of the Colorado Charter School Institute (CSI).
- More than half of Denver’s public schools are segregated, 25 years after busing ended
- Sep 9, 4:58 AM: The just-opened Denver Green School Northfield sits in a predominantly white neighborhood, but the kids inside represent just about every shade from ebony to alabaster.
- Raise your voice to support school choice — including cyberschools
- > Sep 6, 5:45 AM: It’s hard to believe that it’s already been six years since I enrolled my daughter in Colorado Preparatory Academy. My daughter was diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome at a young age, and the local public school could not
- District compact with area charter schools aimed at better coordination
- Sep 5, 4:55 AM: A compact between the Roaring Fork School District and several area charter schools has not only improved inter-school relations, but could make it easier for parents when it comes to school choice.
- Colorado Springs charter tops Pikes Peak region in SAT scores
- Aug 26, 7:46 AM: Thomas MacLaren School, a K-12 charter school authorized by the Colorado Charter School Institute, posted the highest mean SAT score in the Pikes Peak region from spring testing, results show.
- Father willing to fight to keep Indian Peaks Charter School open
- Aug 23, 6:44 AM: The closure of Indian Peaks Charter School in Granby is a heartbreaking scenario for Michael Schurer, a local business owner and father of a student who’s done well at the school.
- Letter: How About RICO Charges for Failing Public School Officials?
- > Aug 22, 7:26 AM: I own a remedial-education business and have lost count of the number of students I’ve taught who hold high-school diplomas from the Denver and Aurora Public Schools systems but are functionally illiterate and innumerate.
- New Vision Charter School campus debuts
- > Aug 21, 7:23 AM: Despite Tuesday afternoon winds, hundreds of students, family, staff and faculty waited outside the building doors of the new campus at 299 Peridot Ave. to witness the ribbon-cutting and funnel into what will become home
- Why teachers unions are trying to block outside intervention in Colorado schools
- > Aug 5, 6:17 AM: These are the first state-ordered outside interventions under Colorado’s 2009 accountability law, and the outcome of these lawsuits will clarify the state’s authority to tell school districts what to do.
- Towaoc education leaders hope to open charter
- > Aug 2, 7:44 AM: The school would emphasize a “different” type of learning along with incorporating language and culture into its curriculum, said Tina King-Washington, the K-12 education director for the Ute Mountain Ute tribe.
- Editorial: Career campus calls for creating new kind of high school diploma
- Aug 1, 6:17 AM: Cherry Creek schools has built an important monument to the fact that, when it comes to public education, one size does not fit all.
- Report: College degree leads to more pay
- > Jul 31, 5:15 AM: Despite the rising price tag of higher education, getting a degree after high school is still a good investment for Coloradans, according to a new report released by the Colorado Department of Higher Education on Tuesday.
- Coalition aimed at ‘flipping’ the Denver school board fails to agree on candidates
- Jul 23, 5:13 AM: A coalition of community groups aiming to “flip” the Denver school board in November has disbanded after failing to come to consensus on a slate of candidates to support.
- Commentary: Democrats shut down one pathway of school choice for Colorado students
- > Jul 17, 7:27 AM: Forced busing was a problematic solution to a real problem: school district boundaries have often been drawn to exclude low-income and minority students from great schools. While busing may have only recently hit national
- Not many students, but abundant opportunity at remote, rural school
- > Jul 15, 7:16 AM: Gateway is the most remote school in District 51, located halfway between Grand Junction and Naturita along Colorado Highway 141 in Unaweep Canyon. Nestled between West Creek and the soaring red rock Palisade butte, it's
- New charter school set to open in Fort Collins to help students with dyslexia
- > Jul 15, 6:50 AM: Pinecrest is set to be a STEAM school, Kifer said, which will include emphasis on science, engineering, math and the arts. There are plenty of STEM schools in the area, Kifer said, but she sees Pinecrest as a school that
- Elected as charter skeptics, Aurora school board members face a more complicated reality
- Jul 2, 6:40 AM: When an independent teacher decided she wanted to open an arts school in Aurora for black and brown students who weren’t getting into other arts programs, she found a lot of community support.
- New schools that want to open in Denver will now have an expiration date
- Jun 21, 7:31 AM: A resolution quietly adopted by the Denver school board limits the scope of expansion of several charter school networks, and assigns a deadline to any new school that wants to open.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Gazette 92%
- KKCO-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Valley Courier - Online 17%
- KDVR-TV - Online / Fox31 17%