- Opinion: Unions have a stranglehold on public ed - while Colorado kids suffer
- > May 4, 7:03 AM: Just in case there remained some doubt in anyone's mind that the Democratic Party's leftward lurch in Colorado was effectively divorcing the party from any affection it may have had for meaningful education reform, the
- Thousands of Colorado teachers expected to march to the state Capitol on Thursday and Friday, seeking pension fix and higher pay
- > Apr 26, 7:10 AM: Teachers from Douglas County and Jefferson County school districts are rallying at the Capitol on Thursday, while teachers from Denver Public Schools — the state’s largest district — will join educators from Aurora,
- Boulder Valley conditionally approves Summit Academy's charter high school application
- > Apr 25, 5:35 AM: Summit Academy can open as a charter high school — if organizers can meet a set of conditions that include finding a building and land and providing evidence that at least 100 ninth-graders plan to enroll.
- Every student who has graduated from this Colorado high school since 2008 got into college
- Apr 23, 6:56 AM: Though DSST: Stapleton is a charter school, Desserich says students are selected essentially at random through a lottery system just like most other DPS schools.
- Denver touts record participation in school choice process
- Apr 20, 5:22 AM: Even as more Denver families participated in the annual public school lottery this year, about four out of five still got into a first-choice school, district officials announced Thursday.
- GOAL Academy offers Moffat County students another choice in high schools
- Apr 20, 5:16 AM: Goal Academy is a tuition-free public school offering guided online academic learning to about 50 students in Craig, 800 students in the Northern Region and 3,750 students statewide.
- Editorial: Democrats roll back time, soundly rejecting school choice
- > Apr 19, 5:11 AM: The party eliminated any question of this reversion when delegates told Democrats for Education Reform to get lost. They overwhelmingly passed a resolution ordering the group to stop using "Democrats" as part of their
- Colorado teachers stage rally at statehouse to lobby for higher pay
- > Apr 17, 7:06 AM: Chanting “You left me no choice, I have to use my teacher voice!” hundreds of Colorado teachers converged on the state Capitol on Monday to demand changes in school funding and to lobby for higher teacher pay and a
- Opinion: Let’s get real about tuition savings accounts
- > Apr 17, 6:12 AM: Allowing families to utilize their own savings to pay for K-12 tuition seems straightforward, but Colorado law doesn’t match up with the new federal law. Colorado allows 529 withdrawals only for specific purposes that do
- Colorado Democrats overwhelmingly reject Democrats for Education Reform at state assembly
- Apr 16, 5:38 AM: Delegates at the Colorado Democratic state assembly Saturday sent a clear message to the state chapter of Democrats for Education Reform: You don’t have a place in our party.
- New Vista parents protest possibility of new Boulder charter school co-locating in their building
- Apr 12, 5:44 AM: New Vista High School parents overwhelmingly told the Boulder Valley school board at a worksession this week that they're not interested in sharing their building with a proposed charter high school.
- Boulder Valley School District staff, evaluation recommend approval of Summit charter application
- Apr 10, 7:31 AM: Summit Middle School's proposal to open a charter high school won the conditional approval of both a Boulder Valley School District staff evaluation committee and a parent evaluation committee.
- A New Way to Learn
- Apr 9, 6:33 AM: Excitement is building. Enrollment will be limited to 170 students for the first year. Already there is a waiting list for students who won’t be age eligible until a year from this fall.
- Revamped Douglas County school board is poised to pick new superintendent
- Apr 6, 5:49 AM: The newly minted Douglas County School Board is poised on Thursday night to select a new superintendent, one of the bigger decisions the panel will make after it became solidly anti-voucher in November.
- Boulder Valley, St. Vrain Valley school districts work to implement charter school revenue distribution law
- Apr 3, 5:58 AM: Boulder Valley's five charter schools are lobbying the school district to maintain its commitment to giving charter schools an equal share of tax increases approved by voters.
- Fruita charter school copes with start-up challenges
- Apr 2, 6:35 AM: Though it's not apparent from the near-serene environment, Fruita's first charter school has seen upheaval, change and struggle since it opened in August.
- New Compass charter school secures building in Fort Collins
- > Mar 22, 6:02 AM: In November, the Poudre School District Board of Education unanimously voted to approve the school’s application with several conditions, including that the school find a facility to lease or purchase and that Compass have
- East county parents upset about Boulder Valley School District open enrollment swap pilot
- > Mar 14, 6:55 AM: Boulder Valley has long used a lottery when there are more open enrollment requests than seats at schools. But for the coming school year, the district decided to first swap incoming ninth-grade students among the high
- Colorado Supreme Court rules against Denver teachers, saying there is no tenure in public schools
- Mar 13, 5:57 AM: The Denver teachers who challenged a landmark state law that allows school districts to put certain experienced educators on unpaid leave lost their cases Monday.
- Competing education tax bills to square off in the House
- Mar 2, 6:55 AM: The Colorado House of Representatives is about to experience its own version of “Dueling Banjos” Monday when House Bills 18-1221 and 18-1209 square off in the House Education Committee.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Gazette 92%
- KKCO-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Valley Courier - Online 17%
- KDVR-TV - Online / Fox31 17%