- Charter schools in Colorado are growing in number and influence 25 years after they took hold
- > Mar 27, 5:08 AM: His show jumping days well behind him, 32-year-old Chicho soaks in the morning sun while students from Boulder Preparatory High School gently feed and pet him. Chicho’s caretakers at the Medicine Horse Program say the old horse’s
- Mix-up leaves opening of 350-student Colorado Springs military charter school in jeopardy
- Mar 24, 6:55 AM: Several hundred Colorado Springs-area students' plans to attend a military-style charter school this fall are in jeopardy after organizers failed to get state approval instead of linking up with a local district.
- Limited transportation undermines school choice — even in Denver
- Mar 23, 5:19 AM: Six years after Denver Public Schools created an innovative bus shuttle system to help get students to school, the effort has expanded and evolved but the larger problem it sought to fix remains.
- Charters provide ways to match ‘philosophical beliefs and values’
- > Mar 17, 6:37 AM: When it came time to choose a school, she decided on American Academy Charter School in Castle Pines. American Academy offers ability group learning for math, reading and writing. This means students take classes based on skill
- Teachers’ union calls Colorado charter funding bill ‘DeVos-style’ legislating
- Mar 16, 5:38 AM: The legislature continues to advance a measure that aims at equitable funding for charter schools, despite cries of "DeVos-style" mandates.
- Charter school funding bill gaining bipartisan support; Dems get support on amendment
- Mar 13, 6:19 AM: Second reading of a bill that would equalize local mill levy funding for charter schools was postponed for the second time this week after senators spent nearly two hours debating several amendments to the bill.
- Colorado Students Continue To Flock To Online Charters, Despite Controversies
- > Mar 3, 7:02 AM: Colorado parents are leaving traditional school districts at a higher rate in the last five years. Their destination? Virtual schools. According to a report by the non-profit think tank A+ Colorado, charter schools -- both online
- New charter schools step closer to reality in El Paso County
- Mar 1, 6:00 AM: More proposed charter schools, one focusing on the arts, the other on classical education, are making progress in their quest to open in Colorado Springs in the fall of 2018.
- DougCo school voucher lawsuit nearing critical junction
- > Feb 28, 6:13 AM: Proponents of school vouchers in Douglas County have spent 16 months waiting for the U.S. Supreme Court to decide if it will consider their appeal of a case that could have national implications for spending tax dollars on religious
- Denver Looks For Balanced Approach To School Choice
- > Feb 21, 6:11 AM: Denver's innovative approach to school choice gets high marks from parents and pundits. The program also includes rebooting and even closing down under-performing schools, mostly in neighborhoods with some of the most vulnerable
- The Mile High Promise, And Risk, Of School Choice
- > Feb 20, 8:30 AM: During Betsy DeVos' bitter confirmation hearing last month for education secretary, U.S. Sen. Michael Bennet pointed to Denver as a potential national model of a big city school district that's found an innovative, balanced approach
- Charter schools get warm treatment ahead of a bill’s hearing
- > Feb 16, 6:07 AM: How tax money is divided between traditional public schools and charter schools is a thorny political issue. Wednesday afternoon, Hill and Democratic Sen. Angela Williams will present Senate Bill 61 to the Senate Education Committee
- How some Colorado schools are finding success with poor and minority students
- > Feb 10, 6:53 AM: Platte Canyon’s approach, which includes heavy collaboration among teachers and plenty of face-to-face interactions between students and teachers, is hailed as “trend-busting” in a new report that says many low-income or minority
- West Ridge Academy Charter School in Greeley headed to new location for 2017-18 school year
- > Feb 9, 6:51 AM: The 250-student, K-8 school had 400 students on a wait list at the beginning of the school year. At 48,000 square feet, the new school will give West Ridge twice as much space, perfect for the school’s plans to double its number of
- Lundberg’s private school tax credit clears first legislative hurdle
- > Feb 8, 6:45 AM: The state Senate finance committee on Tuesday advanced a pro-school school choice bill that would offer an income tax break to parents who send their children to private schools and to those who fund scholarships to private schools.
- Pueblo charter school expands, due to popular demand
- Feb 6, 7:26 AM: PSAS has held the state's top "Performance" rating since the accreditation system was created, but Repola says the emphasis the school puts on the arts is just as important as those test scores.
- Englewood charter school effort comes to an end
- > Feb 1, 8:00 AM: A five-year effort to open a charter school in the Englewood area came to an end recently when the members of the Colorado Charter School Institute Board of Directors voted to deny TriCity Academy's application for a
- Greeley-Evans District 6 pursuing innovation plan for two struggling schools
- Jan 31, 7:01 AM: Greeley-Evans School District 6 leaders on Monday pushed forward a plan to transform two struggling schools in order to avoid state sanctions.
- Colorado school choice advocates cheer classroom options
- Jan 27, 6:18 AM: Lawmakers, parents and school officials gathered Thursday on the steps of the state Capitol to praise the virtues of school choice in Colorado and to lobby for its expansion.
- State legislators clash over the rights of charter schools
- > Jan 25, 7:26 AM: Hill, chair of the Senate Education Committee as his second four-year term begins, says that's not happening right now because charter schools don't always get an equal share of mill levy increases approved by school district
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Gazette 92%
- KKCO-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Valley Courier - Online 17%
- KDVR-TV - Online / Fox31 17%