- Roaring Fork School District opens public review of Two Rivers charter application
- > Nov 13, 7:45 AM: TRCS, now in its fifth year, operates as a K-8 school under the Colorado Charter School Institute. The school applied Sept. 30 to come under the umbrella of the local school district, and is concurrently seeking to renew
- APS superintendent recommends new charter school be shuttered, barring more enrollment
- > Nov 12, 8:23 AM: Aurora Public Schools Superintendent Rico Munn is recommending that a new-and-beleaguered charter school be shut down at the end of the school year because of declining enrollment — unless the school rapidly enrolls
- Why the Denver school board “flipped” toward reform and what might happen next
- > Nov 12, 7:03 AM: Carried by momentum from February’s teachers strike and a broader backlash against the status quo, candidates opposed to the policies that made Denver Public Schools a national exemplar for education reform now control the
- An end to Denver’s school reform era? Teachers union-backed school board candidates win big
- Nov 7, 6:40 AM: The Denver school board is on the verge of a historic shift, with two candidates backed by the teachers union scoring decisive wins and a third holding a narrow lead.
- Denver Public Schools “flip the board” candidates are leading
- Nov 6, 7:48 AM: Candidates backed by the Denver teachers union held the lead in Tuesday’s election as of 10 p.m., making it appear likely that the largest school district in the state will take a new direction.
- Editorial: Denver’s Education Stakes
- > Oct 30, 5:43 AM: The school-reform movement is a victim of its own success as charters compete successfully with traditional public schools, prompting a political backlash from unions across the U.S. From New York to Boston to Houston to
- Dark money seeps into 2019 Denver school board election
- > Oct 29, 6:34 AM: In U.S. politics, "dark money" refers to political spending by nonprofit organizations that are not required to disclose their donors. These organizations often benefit from unlimited donations from corporations,
- BVSD gives Sanitas Academy more time to negotiate charter contract
- Oct 23, 7:10 AM: The Boulder Valley school board on Tuesday agreed to give the organizers of Sanitas Academy more time to meet the district’s conditions and negotiate a contract for the charter high school.
- Summit Charter School’s high school expansion looks to open next fall
- Oct 21, 5:57 AM: Summit Academy, now renamed Sanitas, is making its second attempt to find a location, enroll students and open a small charter high school in the Boulder Valley School District.
- Charter school builds courtyard to help students focus on mental health
- Oct 16, 8:13 AM: Colorado Early Colleges Colorado Springs built a new green space outside for students to have a place to relax and unwind.
- Union says Park County Schools teacher strike will continue; district cancels classes Tuesday
- Oct 15, 6:46 AM: Union leaders said Monday afternoon the teacher strike in Park County will continue on Tuesday into a second day.
- APS: Aurora charter school serving poor, working families faces charter sanction due to enrollment
- > Oct 15, 6:10 AM: The fate of a brand-new north Aurora charter school has been in jeopardy since early this month, when Aurora Public Schools officials told Aurora Community School it is substantially under-enrolled and violating its
- Kafer: Support school board candidates who know the value of school choice
Think you know the answer? Ten of the 15 top schools recently recognized by the government and U.S. News & World Report are schools of choice. Eight schools are public charter schools, which operate under independent >
Oct 11, 5:30 AM:
- Blue Ribbon Schools: Summit Middle Charter School Makes The List
- > Sep 27, 7:27 AM: According to the Department of Education, being named a Blue Ribbon school "affirms the hard work of educators, families and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging and engaging
- Charter home should be best fit for local school, state charter schools director says
- > Sep 23, 7:14 AM: When it comes time to reauthorize a charter school in Colorado, it’s not to be a competition between the state and local school districts, said the director of the Colorado Charter School Institute (CSI).
- More than half of Denver’s public schools are segregated, 25 years after busing ended
- Sep 9, 4:58 AM: The just-opened Denver Green School Northfield sits in a predominantly white neighborhood, but the kids inside represent just about every shade from ebony to alabaster.
- Raise your voice to support school choice — including cyberschools
- > Sep 6, 5:45 AM: It’s hard to believe that it’s already been six years since I enrolled my daughter in Colorado Preparatory Academy. My daughter was diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome at a young age, and the local public school could not
- District compact with area charter schools aimed at better coordination
- Sep 5, 4:55 AM: A compact between the Roaring Fork School District and several area charter schools has not only improved inter-school relations, but could make it easier for parents when it comes to school choice.
- Colorado Springs charter tops Pikes Peak region in SAT scores
- Aug 26, 7:46 AM: Thomas MacLaren School, a K-12 charter school authorized by the Colorado Charter School Institute, posted the highest mean SAT score in the Pikes Peak region from spring testing, results show.
- Father willing to fight to keep Indian Peaks Charter School open
- Aug 23, 6:44 AM: The closure of Indian Peaks Charter School in Granby is a heartbreaking scenario for Michael Schurer, a local business owner and father of a student who’s done well at the school.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Gazette 92%
- KKCO-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Valley Courier - Online 17%
- KDVR-TV - Online / Fox31 17%