- Ross Valley parents protest charter school event
- > Jan 29, 7:09 AM: About 100 Ross Valley School District parents and their kids staged a peaceful protest in Fairfax this week to voice their opposition to Ross Valley Charter school, which was holding an open house for new students at the
- New state charter schools director named
- Jan 23, 7:32 AM: State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson appointed a longtime state Department of Education staffer to be director of the CDE’s charter schools division.
- Who’s behind the new charter school petitioning to open in Montebello?
- > Jan 22, 7:18 AM: Jose Salas, who introduced himself as Legacy’s board secretary, said the school’s curriculum would emphasize science and technology, as well as digital learning and character development. But he did not provide any
- Federal audit finds problems with California's graduation rate calculations
Among the graduates, California officials incorrectly counted students who “transferred to programs that did not lead to a regular high school diploma.” Leaving them out, auditors said, would lower the state’s graduation >
Jan 18, 7:50 AM:
- Pivot charter school gets final OK from Chico Unified
- > Jan 18, 7:31 AM: The Chico Unified School District board of trustees approved a memorandum of understanding with Pivot Wednesday, authorizing the school to operate for at least two years as long as it makes progress in increasing student
- Future uncertain for Heartwood charter school in Fairfax
- Jan 12, 6:36 AM: The future of a West Marin charter school created as a loving, independent, alternative education for kids is in jeopardy after its authorizing agency pulled the plug, effective Monday.
- Solano board rejects Elite Charter School on 4-3 vote
- > Jan 12, 6:21 AM: Solano County Board of Education trustees turned down Elite Charter School by a 4-3 vote Wednesday after supporters said the school would address an achievement gap for African-American and Latino students but opponents
- SCOE trustees deny ELITE charter school petition
- Jan 11, 7:00 AM: It was a full house Wednesday at the Solano County Office of Education board meeting as those in attendance waited for the vote on the proposed ELITE Public Schools Countywide Charter School.
- Central Labor Council opposes Elite Charter School petition
- > Jan 11, 5:53 AM: Executive Director Jon Riley said Monday that the labor council voted unanimously to oppose this “privately run regulated charter for many reasons” – including laws that do not ensure adequate transparency and financial
- New public school opens in unusual place — Oracle’s campus in Redwood City
- Jan 10, 7:03 AM: As 550 students poured through the doors of their new high school Tuesday morning in Redwood City, they froze, rendered momentarily and uncharacteristically speechless.
- L.A. school board keeps interim leader, prepares for superintendent search
- > Jan 10, 5:49 AM: The board now will begin work on selecting the district’s sixth leader in the last decade. At a minimum, Garcia said, members will spend time hashing out the selection process each Tuesday when they meet.
- SCOE trustees set to vote on ELITE charter
- > Jan 9, 6:48 AM: An action sure to draw a large crowd, the Solano County Office of Education governing board will vote Wednesday to grant or deny the proposed ELITE Public Schools Countywide Charter School petition submitted by Ramona
- Virtual education is life-changing gift for 29 Palms teen
- Jan 5, 8:15 AM: Virtual education is the key to success for Israel Ruiz as he strives to overcome challenging health hurdles he has faced since birth.
- Elite Charter School petition returns Jan. 10 to Solano County Board of Education
- > Jan 4, 8:02 AM: The Solano County Central Democratic Party and the teachers association for the Fairfield-Suisun School District oppose the petition for the Elite Charter School. But the proposal goes before the board for the Solano
- Vallejo school district opposes ELITE charter
- > Jan 4, 7:29 AM: Vallejo school district officials are asking the Solano County Board of Education to deny the ELITE Public Charter School petition because the lead petitioner is “unlikely” to be successful in implementing the program.
- Inside the fight over how to address San Francisco's 'state of emergency' for black student achievement
- > Jan 2, 8:03 AM: Black students in San Francisco would be better off almost anywhere else in California. Many attend segregated schools and the majority of black, Latino and Pacific Islander students did not reach grade-level standards on
- Riverside County school board rejects charter school pitch
- > Jan 2, 7:11 AM: An effort by REAL Journey Academies to open a countywide charter school has failed. The entity, which operates four school sites in Riverside and San Bernardino counties sought to open iEmpire Academy, which would have
- School Board applies conditions for PCS charter renewal petition
- > Jan 2, 6:30 AM: Working with staff from the Plumas Charter School, the Plumas Unified School District leadership advised its Governing Board of Trustees on Dec. 13 that several “conditions for consideration” have been established as part
- AUSD board denies Trivium Charter School petition to join district
- > Dec 26, 6:36 AM: The Governing Board of Atascadero Unified School District denied the establishment of Trivium Charter School, Traverse at a school board meeting Tuesday after a previous public hearing regarding the petition on Nov. 7.
- SF school leaders, advocates wary of Silicon Valley group aiming to tackle achievement gap
- > Dec 19, 7:01 AM: A Silicon Valley-based education reform nonprofit promising to tackle the achievement gap in San Francisco’s public schools by empowering parents has drawn the ire of district leaders and advocates, who criticize the group
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Salinas Californian - Online, The 100%
- Victorville Daily Press - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Paso Robles Press - Online 0%
- T.H.E. Journal - Online 0%