- ‘Pandemic pods’: Good alternative to distance learning or unfair option for the privileged?
- > Jul 24, 8:22 AM: In the last week alone, tens of thousands of families in the Bay Area and across the country have found each other on Facebook, created contact lists organized by city or school, and formed “pandemic pods” — in some cases
- Schools may soon apply for waivers to reopen — but only with union support
- > Jul 24, 7:35 AM: School districts, charters and private schools in L.A. County may begin applying within days for waivers that would allow them to reopen elementary schools in person — but public schools will have to show they have union
- Parents rush to hire tutors and create learning pods. But not everyone has options
The advertisements started popping up on social media almost immediately after Los Angeles Unified School District said campuses would remain closed for the start of the school year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.>
Jul 23, 8:29 AM:
- iLEAD Empower Generations Charter School Aims To Empower Pregnant, Parenting Teens
- > Jul 23, 8:08 AM: The director of iLEAD Empower Generations recently appeared on SCVi’s “Eye on the Valley” show on KHTS to talk about how the charter school is working to empower pregnant and parenting teens.
- Opinion: California is rewarding failing schools and punishing those attracting students
- > Jul 23, 7:49 AM: California’s school finance reforms have been lauded across the country in recent years, but state legislators now seem to be putting politics ahead of kids by deciding to fund schools this fall based on last year’s
- San Diego parents rush to form ‘learning pods’, micro-schools
- Jul 22, 7:07 AM: Many San Diego County parents are creating "pods" or small groups of children for in-person learning, socialization.
- Charter schools that offer homeschool forced to waitlist thousands of families
- Jul 22, 6:09 AM: Parents who are concerned about their traditional school district’s ability to handle distance learning this fall are running into a roadblock when seeking other options: wait lists.
- Editorial: L.A. Unified’s new challenge: Getting students to show up for online classes
- > Jul 21, 7:57 AM: This last spring, Los Angeles Unified students weren’t in school. They weren’t physically in schools because those had been closed in the face of the pandemic, of course. But far too many of them weren’t in virtual school,
- Some families considering charter or private schools during pandemic
- > Jul 21, 6:51 AM: This comes after California Governor Gavin Newsom's recent announcement that schools in counties on the state's COVID-19 monitoring list will not be able to physically reopen at the beginning of the school year. San Luis
- San Diego Parents Form School Advocacy Group to Improve Public Education
- > Jul 21, 6:42 AM: An active group of parent public school advocates has created San Diego Schools, “to enable parents and student to better understand how their school District operates, how to receive the most value for their education and
- As parents of students look for alternatives, home schooling sees ‘explosive’ interest
- > Jul 20, 7:26 AM: As the COVID-19 pandemic pushes Sacramento County schools into a distance-learning-only fall and families deal with uncertainty about when in-person learning will resume, parents have begun to seek alternatives to Zoom
- Newsom Order Would Keep Most California Schools Online
- > Jul 20, 7:18 AM: Responding to soaring coronavirus infections and growing concern from teachers, Gov. Gavin Newsom of California announced new rules on Friday that would force many of the state’s districts to teach remotely when school
- Desperate parents pay whatever they can to escape online schools
Parents, fearing their kids won’t see the inside of a classroom this fall, are ginning up an alternative familiar to the Home Depot crowd: Do-it-yourself.
Jul 17, 8:37 AM:
- Grand jury recommends increased charter school oversight, training
- > Jul 17, 8:02 AM: A federal judge responsible for deciding whether the Pulaski County Special School District is entitled to be released from court monitoring of its desegregation efforts asked on Thursday how much weight he should give to
- As Coronavirus Changes Education, Enrollment Goes Up At Untraditional Carmichael Charter School
- Jul 17, 8:00 AM: A virtual charter school in Carmichael is seeing enrollment go up as the coronavirus pandemic changes education.
- ‘Some People Will Think That I’m Crazy’: Parents Move Out Of State, Change Schools To Get Kids Back Into Classrooms For Fall
- Jul 17, 7:10 AM: With about one month left until the start of the new school year, some parents are taking extreme measures to avoid remote learning while others are getting creative with childcare.
- Some parents trying to switch child's school district amid uncertain fall plans
- Jul 17, 7:02 AM: Some parents are choosing to switch to a private or charter school. That isn't ideal for many families.
- Letter: Opportunity for school vouchers
- > Jul 17, 6:36 AM: L.A. government schools will not reopen in the fall. What a great opportunity. Students won’t have to waste time under the oppression of unionized teachers and administrators who only care about their own welfare.
- Push for reopening Orange County schools without masks has pro-charter school links
A set of controversial guidelines recommending county public school students return to campuses without basic coronavirus precautions has ties to an anti-union, pro-charter school group that is looking to open a new >
Jul 17, 6:10 AM:
- Private, charter schools likely forced to begin semester with distance learning
- Jul 16, 7:11 AM: Private and charter schools that may have planned a return to in-person learning will likely be forced to stay off campus when class resumes next month.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Salinas Californian - Online, The 100%
- Victorville Daily Press - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Paso Robles Press - Online 0%
- T.H.E. Journal - Online 0%