- A new push to mobilize voters in a San Jose school district
- > Aug 31, 7:13 AM: After years of damning audits and rebukes from city and county officials have failed to make a difference at the troubled Alum Rock Union School District, a group of fed up parents is launching a grassroots campaign to
- Opinion: Time to end the myth about California’s charter schools
- > Aug 31, 6:34 AM: A hallmark distinguishing California’s charter school movement from other states is that 99 percent of our schools always have operated as nonprofit organizations. But “almost all” isn’t good enough for our remarkable
- Old Highland Kmart transformed into a charter school
- Aug 30, 6:07 AM: Highland Avenue is dotted with businesses. Many of them are big box stores. The old Kmart building is still there, only it's no longer a Kmart, it's a brand new charter school.
- Charter School Crusader Fights Unions in Bid for California Schools Supe
- > Aug 30, 5:58 AM: Not the union label. Tuck’s rough treatment by Dem activists reflects the dynamic of the campaign for the open superintendent’s post, a competitive, big-dollar race that represents a kind of proxy war in the long-running
- Mayor Eric Garcetti offers to mediate between L.A. school district and teachers union in contract talks
- Aug 28, 6:53 AM: The offer comes as United Teachers Los Angeles is conducting a strike-authorization vote, which would allow the union leadership to call a strike without going back to the membership for approval.
- Questions remain for charter school proposal
- Aug 27, 6:00 AM: A five-year charter petition for a school serving students in sixth through 12th grades will again come before the San Mateo Union High School District Board of Trustees for discussion Thursday.
- A Palmdale charter school borrowed nearly $30 million to build a new campus. Then it got shut down
- > Aug 24, 6:07 AM: On Tuesday, the board rejected Guidance’s last-ditch effort to open for the 2018-19 school year. Unless a court overturns Palmdale’s decision, Guidance Charter School will not be able to enroll students — or receive the
- For-profit charter schools would be banned under California bill heading to the governor
- Aug 24, 6:05 AM: For-profit companies will be banned from running charter schools in California if Gov. Jerry Brown signs a hard-fought bill that won final approval from the state Legislature on Thursday.
- In many San Diego County schools, more competition for fewer students
- > Aug 23, 5:11 AM: There are 2,300 fewer public school students in the Vista Unified School District than there were a decade ago. Not counting charter schools, the school district has lost more than 700 students in the past three years.
- Opinion: California to community colleges: graduate more students or lose your funding
- Aug 22, 7:20 AM: California’s politicians and educators are getting serious about how to solve an immense and vexing problem — the graduation rate at the community colleges.
- Living in deportation’s shadow: How one Los Angeles charter school grapples with immigration enforcement
- > Aug 21, 7:12 AM: Since several parents came forward about the deportation of their spouses last school year, the charter network has been grappling with ways to support the families they serve. Camino Nuevo has eight campuses serving about
- Marin public workshop planned on charter schools
- Aug 20, 5:57 AM: In a bid to clear up confusion about charter schools, Marin education officials are offering a free public workshop next week on the basics of charter operations in the county and in California.
- Judge rejects Ross Valley Charter school lawsuit in tentative ruling
- > Aug 20, 5:53 AM: A Sonoma County judge has tentatively declined to grant Ross Valley Charter school more space inside a Ross Valley School District middle school for this school year, though a final ruling in the contentious lawsuit is
- Community colleges try new ‘pathway’ to student success
- > Aug 16, 7:15 AM: California’s community colleges are embarking on the most far-reaching reform they have ever adopted, in a bid to tackle their biggest challenge: to improve on historically low rates of student graduation and transfers to
- LAUSD more than doubles new magnets this year, but teachers union calls for contract changes that would halt their growth
LA Unified kicked off the school year this week by more than doubling the number of new magnet schools and programs. But the mostly high-achieving school choice options have a new opponent: the teachers union.>
Aug 16, 5:17 AM:
- New school year, new leaders; familiar and serious challenges for L.A. Unified
- Aug 15, 6:33 AM: The nation’s second-largest school system kicks off a fresh year Tuesday with dozens of first-time programs to spur student achievement and recapture enrollment.<
- Oakland Unified Moves to Save Gülen Movement Charter School
- > Aug 15, 6:03 AM: Amid a management crisis and allegations of fraud at Oakland's BayTech charter school, the Oakland Unified School District is exploring the possibility of appointing an independent director to the school's board.
- County board grants conditional approval for Pinecrest charter petition
- > Aug 14, 6:50 AM: The Tuolumne County Board of Education granted a conditional charter to the Pinecrest Expedition Academy in a 4-3 vote Monday night on the condition that the charter school rectify 11 educational and regulatory
- Charter schools scramble to become legal as new school year nears
- Aug 14, 6:32 AM: With the new school year just days away, hundreds of San Diego-area charter school students and their parents are waiting to see if their school will be legally allowed to exist.
- Downtown Families Wrestle With Metro Charter’s Move
- > Aug 14, 5:17 AM: In May, many Downtown families were rocked by the news that Metro Charter Elementary School, which had opened five years ago and quickly became popular with local residents, was moving to Lincoln Heights. The shift was
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Salinas Californian - Online, The 100%
- Victorville Daily Press - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Paso Robles Press - Online 0%
- T.H.E. Journal - Online 0%