- Santa Barbara Unified School District considering stopping interdistrict transfers
- > Sep 29, 5:04 AM: The Santa Barbara Unified School District may soon change who goes into their district's classrooms. If approved the new policy would limit the number of students who transfer in from other districts. This means families
- Monica Garcia is new LAUSD board president on 4-3 vote
- Sep 27, 5:53 AM: On a 4-3 vote, Monica Garcia was chosen Tuesday as president of the board, replacing Rodriguez, who resigned from the post after being charged with falsifying a campaign finance disclosure form.
- When charter schools unionize, students learn more, study finds
- > Sep 26, 5:52 AM: When charter school teachers push to unionize, charter leaders often fight back. That’s happened in Chicago, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and Washington DC. Unionizing, they argue, would limit the schools’
- How Antonio Villaraigosa went from a union organizer to a union target
- > Sep 25, 6:41 AM: Antonio Villaraigosa launched his political career off his work as a union organizer, and labor played a critical role in getting him elected to office. So it was a remarkable moment when Villaraigosa, as Los Angeles’
- Worel angry over proposed charter school in Vallejo
- > Sep 22, 5:56 AM: The two Vallejo school board trustees who opposed the removal of Ramona Bishop as district superintendent last March expressed dismay Wednesday night over news she is seeking to open a charter school in Vallejo.
- In Education Duel, Foes Fight to a Draw in Sacramento
- > Sep 22, 5:33 AM: It was the last piece of education legislation to die in a year when the teachers union and its ascendant adversary, the California Charter Schools Association, fought to a stalemate while trying to shape the future of the
- A charter school serving at-risk student got a makeover. Now they’re sending kids to college.
- > Sep 21, 6:52 AM: Four years ago, Learning for Life Charter School had what Executive Director Ken Lawrence-Emanuel calls a “reputation.” Students—seventh- through 12th-graders who are on the verge of failing in traditional public
- L.A. County to investigate public school system's enrollment of Catholic school students
- Sep 21, 6:04 AM: Los Angeles County education officials have launched an investigation into fiscal and legal questions surrounding a small public school district that has been enrolling Catholic school students.
- Another denial for Vaca charter school
- > Sep 20, 5:31 AM: In a close 4-3 vote, the Solano County Office of Education governing board on Wednesday denied a petition by directors of the Vacaville-based Heritage Peak Charter to align themselves with the county as Pacific Valley
- Ref Rodriguez, facing criminal charges, resigns as L.A. school board president
- > Sep 20, 5:17 AM: Less than three months into his role as president of the Los Angeles Board of Education, Ref Rodriguez announced Tuesday that he would step down from that post to spare the school district the distraction of a criminal
- Rocklin charter schools OK transgender books in elementary school
- > Sep 19, 6:56 AM: A Rocklin school board voted unanimously late Monday night to retain the policies that allowed a book about a transgender child to be read in kindergarten, but adopted a provision to forewarn parents of potentially
- Former superintendent eyes creation of charter school network
- Sep 19, 5:04 AM: Former district superintendent Ramona Bishop sent a letter last week to the Vallejo school board announcing her plans to open a charter school in the district.
- Charter school is now a part of educational landscape in County
- Sep 15, 6:03 AM: Chawanakee Academy Charter offers K-12 home school and hybrid home school, as well as credentialed teachers, field trips, enrichment programs, project-based learning and traditional and digital curriculum.
- Charges against school board president stun L.A.'s education world
- > Sep 15, 5:54 AM: Charter school advocates in Los Angeles had been having a great year. With millions of dollars at their disposal, they had won their first majority on the school board and installed a pro-charter board president, Ref
- The Chico Unified School District provides online classes
- > Sep 15, 5:11 AM: The Chico Unified School District is giving students from 6th to 12th grade the option to take classes online. Students can choose from two different online academies: The Viking Academy or The Panther Academy.
- Ross Valley tensions flare over school space squeeze
- > Sep 14, 6:51 AM: The Ross Valley Charter School board took a step forward this week to try to resolve growing space-sharing problems at White Hill Middle School in Fairfax. But parents of White Hill students said they were skeptical the
- Charter school proposal rejected
- > Sep 14, 6:31 AM: Nearly 70 parents, students and business owners last night (Sept. 11) battled over whether a charter school ought to be allowed in an industrial area of Redwood City before the City Council decided it shouldn’t.
- Redwood City halts proposal for charter school
- > Sep 14, 4:54 AM: Safety concerns and a charter elementary school’s fit within a Redwood City neighborhood where landscaping, building and other industrial businesses are clustered were among the worries city officials cited in their
- School autonomy vs. teen sleep — Charter schools join opposition to California’s late-start bill after last-minute addition
- > Sep 12, 5:07 AM: California charter middle and high schools would be prohibited from starting school before 8:30 a.m. under a bill that will be voted on by the Assembly this week after a concern was raised that they would have an unfair
- Offering free computers, a small L.A. school district enrolled Catholic school students from Bakersfield
- > Sep 11, 6:18 AM: The Lennox Virtual Academy operated in what legal experts have called a murky regulatory environment. Even so, it stood out both for enrolling students already attending school elsewhere and for its willingness, in
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Salinas Californian - Online, The 100%
- Victorville Daily Press - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Paso Robles Press - Online 0%
- T.H.E. Journal - Online 0%