- SF education leaders resist efforts to open new charter school
- > Nov 20, 6:16 AM: When the Board of Education on Tuesday unanimously rejected an application for a new KIPP elementary school set to open in the Bayview next school year, hundreds of parent, teacher and student supporters — including Turner
- Chico Unified School District closer to expanding online education
- > Nov 16, 8:00 AM: The school district on Wednesday moved one step closer to expanding online education with a new program offering an off-campus resource center where students can go for assistance and support from district teachers and
- School-within-a-school: Some parents want out of iGranada's 'blended' program
- > Nov 16, 7:19 AM: Now, those broad questions are at the heart of a controversy involving one of those charter schools — Granada Hills Charter High. Starting with just a few parent complaints, the matter has now spiraled into a formal
- Rocketship gets OK to launch Antioch charter school
- > Nov 16, 6:09 AM: Among them were some parents of students attending Rocketship’s Concord campus, who said they’re willing to make the daily 45-minute drive to give their child a better free education than Antioch Unified School District
- Olive Grove school continues push to gain charter authorization from districts
- > Nov 15, 7:23 AM: For the third time in three years, representatives of Olive Grove Charter School spoke at a sparsely attended public hearing in hopes of convincing the Santa Maria Joint Union High School District board of trustees to
- California’s school war flares up on three fronts
- > Nov 13, 7:49 AM: The conflict pits the state’s education establishment against a coalition of civil rights groups, education reformers and charter school advocates over the “achievement gap” that separates poor children, particularly
- Plans to build Antioch charter school one step closer to reality
- Nov 10, 6:35 AM: Plans to open another charter school in Antioch advanced this month with planning commissioners’ endorsement of the proposal.
- Charter leaders plead for state rehab funds
- > Nov 9, 7:21 AM: Denied an opportunity this week to demonstrate to the Morgan Hill Unified School District Board of Trustees their compliance and qualifications for $11.5 million in state rehabilitation funds, leadership of the Charter
- How LAUSD oversees charter schools just changed in a big way
- Nov 8, 8:00 AM: An eleventh-hour deal that saved nearly a dozen charter schools from rejection by the Los Angeles Unified School Board on Tuesday is remarkable not only for the number of schools whose futures it preserved.
- Agreement paves way for L.A. Unified to approve most old and new charter schools
- > Nov 8, 7:31 AM: Charter school leaders flexed their new muscle with the L.A. Unified School District on Tuesday to win district concessions on some operating rules. But they stopped short of insisting that all their demands be met, which
- Sacramento teacher strike averted. Union, city district reach deal ahead of planned walkout
- > Nov 7, 7:30 AM: The Sacramento City Unified School District and its teachers union reached an agreement Monday on a new contract that gives teachers up to an 11 percent raise over the three-year deal and averts a strike for the
- L.A. teachers union calls on Rodriguez to recuse himself from charter votes
- Nov 7, 7:18 AM: The union representing Los Angeles teachers is calling on school board member Ref Rodriguez to recuse himself from votes on charter schools Tuesday.
- School District Spars with School Reform Groups over Achievement Gap Data
- > Nov 7, 7:06 AM: On October 26, the San Francisco chapter of the NAACP, along with Innovate Public Schools, a nonprofit organized to promote reforms in public education to disadvantaged groups, held a press conference on the front steps of
- Charter schools proposal spurs Fairfield-Suisun teachers union opposition
- Nov 6, 6:27 AM: The teachers association for the Fairfield-Suisun School District opposes a petition by a former Vallejo City School District superintendent to open charter schools in Fairfield, Vacaville and Vallejo.
- Showdown looming between L.A. Unified and charter schools
- Nov 3, 5:50 AM: Los Angeles school district officials plan to recommend at the next school board meeting that 10 charter schools be shut down because they refuse to comply with district rules.
- KIPP high school petition denied by Santa Clara County school board
- Nov 2, 7:08 AM: Wrestling with technicalities in charter law, the Santa Clara County Board of Education on Wednesday night denied a bid to create a second KIPP high school in San Jose.
- District, charter school spar over financial stability
- > Nov 2, 6:07 AM: Despite Morgan Hill Unified’s board of education supporting Charter School of Morgan Hill in its application for state rehabilitation funds, local school district leaders refuse to give the charter a passing grade
- Why Is San Francisco the State’s Worst County for Black Student Achievement?
- > Nov 1, 5:17 AM: Parents from San Francisco’s Bayview neighborhood gathered around school cafeteria tables and listened as administrators delivered a hopeful message: Their children, who all attend Charles R. Drew Preparatory Academy, one
- L.A. Unified says PUC Schools should have unearthed alleged Rodriguez conflict three years ago
- > Oct 31, 6:01 AM: The leaders of a local charter-school network are under fire from the Los Angeles Unified School District for not uncovering and reporting conflict-of-interest allegations against school board member Ref Rodriguez three
- Why is San Francisco the state’s worst county for black student achievement?
- > Oct 30, 6:00 AM: And Drew isn’t the only place in the city with lackluster scores among black students. Across the district, 19 percent of them passed the state test in reading, compared to 31 percent of black students statewide. The
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Salinas Californian - Online, The 100%
- Victorville Daily Press - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Paso Robles Press - Online 0%
- T.H.E. Journal - Online 0%