- California Accounts for 12% of U.S. Students, but Only 1% of Covid School Closures
- Oct 19, 9:16 AM: The state has done remarkably well limiting outbreaks, even before its student vaccine mandate has been put into place.
- Editorial: How to handle an anti-vaccine 'stay-at-home' protest against schools
- > Oct 19, 8:31 AM: The federal government, the state and schools themselves have spent extraordinary amounts of time, effort and money to return students to classrooms while keeping everyone as safe as possible. Students have lost out on too
- California districts anticipate major hits to their 2022-23 budgets as enrollments drop
- Oct 18, 8:59 AM: West Contra Costa Unified could see as much as a $30 million cut to its budget next year unless there is a change in the state’s school funding formula
- 95% of teachers meet COVID-19 vaccination deadline, union says
- Oct 15, 8:11 AM: About 95% of Los Angeles teachers union members have met the school district’s Friday deadline to be vaccinated against COVID-19, the union announced Thursday evening.
- Generosity grows hillside orchard at Alta Vista School in Auburn
- > Oct 15, 7:55 AM: Thanks to a Raley’s Extra Credit Grant, donations from Green Acres Nursery and the hard work of a team of volunteers, an on-campus orchard was planted and school garden improvements are underway. The goal of these efforts
- Editorial: Growing efforts to reform school system
- Oct 15, 6:34 AM: Californians have been dissatisfied with the state’s public schools for decades, but to quote a famous entertainer of the 20th century, “You ain’t seen nothin’ yet."
- New lease signed for charter school aiming to open in downtown Bakersfield
- > Oct 15, 5:59 AM: On Thursday, the nonprofit behind the charter, LinkEd, took a big step in signing a lease for the school. If the charter petition is successful, it plans to serve transitional kindergartners through high school students at
- School Choice Initiative Receives OK to Collect Signatures To Qualify For November 2022 Ballot
- Oct 14, 9:02 AM: Californians for School Choice today announced that the California Attorney General’s Office has issued the official title and summary for the Educational Freedom Act Initiative.
- Homeschooling on the rise as COVID pandemic continues
- Oct 14, 7:57 AM: Kortni Shockley, a mother of four in Orland, began homeschooling in August when it was clear mask mandates in public schools were not going away.
- Nearly half of money for high-needs students not getting to their schools, analysis finds
- > Oct 14, 5:41 AM: Diverting funds intended for California’s high-needs students for other spending “dampens” the potential to significantly close the achievement gap between high-poverty and low-poverty students, new research from the
- LAUSD board approves pandemic-era pact with teachers
- Oct 13, 6:10 AM: The agreement covers quarantine instruction, COVID-19 health-and-safety measures and employee compensation.
- Facing major campus disruption and firings, LAUSD extends staff COVID-vaccine deadline
- > Oct 12, 8:34 AM: The Los Angeles school district — confronted with widespread campus disruption and the firing of potentially thousands of unvaccinated teachers and other staff — has extended the looming deadline for all workers to be
- California and LAUSD shortchange students at Catholic schools
- > Oct 12, 8:02 AM: The federal government has allocated nearly $200 billion in relief funds to K-12 education since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic and the proposed $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill in Congress could eventually send
- Proposed California ballot measure could spark court challenges to teacher protections
- Oct 8, 9:08 AM: Education-reform advocates propose constitutional right to a quality education in what may become a costly fight with teachers unions
- Bullis adds admissions preferences for low-income students after sharp questioning about school's lack of diversity
- > Oct 8, 7:59 AM: After tough questions about whether Bullis Charter School is going far enough to diversify its student body, the Santa Clara County Board of Education on Oct. 6 approved changes to the Los Altos school's admission
- Parents sue state alleging Black and Latinx students are harmed by disciplinary practices
- > Oct 7, 8:37 AM: Black and Latinx students are disproportionately harmed by the state’s failure to exert oversight and take action against some school district disciplinary practices, including transferring students to alternative and
- ‘Time is of the essence’: San Francisco’s school district faces possible state takeover
- > Oct 7, 6:15 AM: Over the past year and a half, the San Francisco Unified School District has confronted a pandemic and wrangled a serious recall effort. And now, the district faces a dire new problem: a possible takeover by the state.
- School choice programs among ballot initiatives filed for 2022 California election
- > Oct 6, 9:23 AM: The California Education Savings Accounts Initiative (#21-0006), known as the Educational Freedom Act, would create an education savings account program for parents whose children attend private or charter schools or who
- Some parents find a long-term solution in at-home learning
- Oct 6, 9:17 AM: Because of the pandemic more families explore homeschooling options
- California Parents and Kids are Abandoning Public Schools with Gov. Newsom’s Attack on Parent Choice
- > Oct 5, 9:49 AM: Only hours after California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s Friday announcement of a COVID-19 vaccination mandate for all schoolchildren of FDA approval age in California, homeschooling and tutoring inquiries shot up dramatically,
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Salinas Californian - Online, The 100%
- North Bay Business Journal - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- T.H.E. Journal - Online 0%
- Paso Robles Press - Online 0%