- Lawmaker calls for change spurred by embroiled Livermore charter school failure
- > Jul 25, 6:13 AM: He said existing charter school oversight law is reactive instead of proactive. He plans on working in the coming months to address these issues to avoid “the tremendous devastation” suffered by students and families of
- Stony Point Academy in southwest Santa Rosa could be split into two campuses, again
- Jul 24, 7:51 AM: A month after district trustees raised and then backed off the possibility of closing Stony Point Academy in southwest Santa Rosa, the charter school once again is in the spotlight.
- Votes coming on teacher tenure, for-profit charters, other key bills
- Jul 21, 7:43 AM: Between now and July 21, when they take a month off, state legislators will have to decide the fate of bills that passed one chamber of the Legislature and await action in the other.
- Rocketship working on larger campus for 2018-19
- > Jul 20, 8:00 AM: The new location for the transitional kindergarten to fifth grade school is in a light-industrial zone with two other schools within a three-block radius. It will allow the school to add features not possible at the former site and
- Former LA deputy mayor to head LAUSD task force. First mission: boost attendance
- Jul 20, 7:38 AM: A new task force will work with Los Angeles Unified School District Superintendent Michelle King to tackle declining attendance and other issues facing the district.
- Salinas parent group readies to petition for new charter middle school
When Oasis Charter Public School eliminated its seventh and eighth grades, some parents vowed to launch a charter for middle school students. It’s taken three years, but the group formed then is gearing up to present in September >
Jul 20, 6:15 AM:
- State board, advocacy groups fundamentally disagree over plan for complying with federal education l
- > Jul 18, 8:03 AM: The comment reflects a core disagreement over how most board members and advocacy groups view the purpose and value of the plan. In it, California must spell out for the U.S. Department of Education how it will spend about $2.5
- Albert Einstein Academy denied in second county hearing
- > Jul 14, 5:45 AM: In an effort to ensure all students were able to stay in a classroom in the fall, Albert Einstein Academy of Letters, Arts and Sciences petitioned to Los Angeles County to allow them to stay in operation through their appeals
- Why some San Gabriel Valley educators are happy, or frustrated, with the latest news about districts
- Jul 14, 5:32 AM: Following months of uncertainty, a controversial California program allowing school districts to designate themselves as destinations for students from outside their borders was renewed in June.
- What makes a teacher ‘ineffective’? California’s education officials and advocacy groups can’t agree
- Jul 13, 7:42 AM: For all the noise, infighting and litigation over teacher evaluations and tenure, California currently has no definition for what a good teacher — or a bad one — looks like.
- Anaheim parents win victory over district in charter school fight
- Jul 13, 6:13 AM: Parents at an Anaheim elementary school who have fought their district to convert their campus to a charter school won their battle Wednesday when the California Supreme Court refused to hear the district’s appeal.
- L.A. Unified gets a $3.26-million federal grant to study online credit recovery
- Jul 12, 6:50 AM: The Los Angeles Unified School District has received a $3.26-million federal grant to study the effectiveness of online credit recovery programs that allow students to make up failed classes.
- Charter co-locations across multiple school campuses are down by more than half, but LAUSD process s
- Jul 11, 6:56 AM: The number of LA Unified charter schools that will be splitting their classrooms across two or more traditional school campuses will drop by more than half this fall.
- Denair Charter Academy welcomes new principal
- > Jul 10, 7:25 AM: From high school dropout to Denair Charter Academy’s newest principal, David Naranjo is certainly someone who students can look up to. He serves as living proof that difficult family, financial circumstances or poor decisions do not
- Monrovia Unified blocks students from transferring to California School of the Arts in Duarte
- > Jul 10, 6:32 AM: The Monrovia Unified School District has denied approximately a dozen parents’ requests to transfer their children to the California School of the Arts, the public charter school opening in the fall that will be operated by the
- Board majority changes, but Los Angeles Unified’s superintendent’s position still secure
- Jul 10, 5:57 AM: Despite last month’s Los Angeles school board election that will result in a new majority backed by charter school advocates, one certainty is continuity in the district’s leadership.
- New pro-charter L.A. school board seeks emergency motion to ‘put students first’
- > Jul 7, 6:19 AM: For generations, earnest teachers and administrators in Los Angeles have sought the solution to lagging student achievement, with imperfect results. But on Thursday, a new wave of leaders seems to have found what they believe is the
- New LAUSD board has its first meeting today, with charter school backers in the driver’s seat
- > Jul 6, 7:54 AM: After the most expensive school board election in U.S. history, charter school backers on Thursday will formally assemble their first-ever majority on the Los Angeles Board of Education with a mixture of high expectations and
- District Votes to Revoke Charters
- Jul 6, 7:45 AM: The Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District Board of Education took the final step in closing the Livermore Valley Charter School and the Livermore Valley Charter Preparatory.
- Why about 200 Los Banos kids need to find a new school — fast
- Jul 6, 5:42 AM: But as of Saturday, the charter school will be officially closed as its 5-year charter with the Los Banos Unified School District ends without a renewal after a high-stakes battle that ended in the courts on Wednesday.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Salinas Californian - Online, The 100%
- Victorville Daily Press - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Paso Robles Press - Online 0%
- T.H.E. Journal - Online 0%