- Group of local charter schools denied renewal from state board
- Mar 18, 7:05 AM: Thursday night, the State Board of Education voted to decline the renewal charters for all four Thrive Charter Schools in San Diego. They explain the test scores are too low and keep dropping.
- Opinion: Why won’t California unions let teachers go?
- > Mar 18, 6:49 AM: Even though Mendez has demanded in writing to leave the California Teacher’s Association (the sole union designated by California to represent public school teachers), the union continues to deduct over $1,500 in dues
- California teachers sue after union refuses to stop forced deductions for dues
- > Mar 12, 7:25 AM: Special-needs instructor Bethany Mendez has been fighting for months to escape the teachers union in Fremont, California, but the school district continues to funnel a portion of her paycheck directly to the labor bank
- Opinion: Pasadena charter schools deserve equitable share of Measure J money
- Mar 12, 5:43 AM: Across California, communities like Pasadena, Altadena, and Sierra Madre are recognizing that California has underfunded public education for decades—and our students suffer as a result.
- Oakland teachers strike infuses union talks at districts across Bay Area
- > Mar 11, 7:18 AM: Oakland teachers took a risk by going on strike and came back with more than double what the school district originally offered. Now the strike threat is playing out in other cities, and teachers say district officials
- Charter schools soon will have open meetings and records. Gavin Newsom says that’s just a ‘start’ BY SOPHIA BOLLAG Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article227316349.html#storylink=cpy
- Mar 11, 7:03 AM: California parents may soon be able to learn more about charter schools in their communities under a new law that forces those schools to hold open meetings and make records public.
- Column:A charter school report card: They cause problems. But for many families they’re the solution
- > Mar 11, 5:18 AM: I might be a little biased here because I know the founder of Gabriella Charter School. But parents are impressed, too. And Gabriella, which has a waiting list of students trying to get in, has won a string of accolades
- O.C. board approves charter schools' requests to start campuses in Newport-Mesa and Ocean View
- > Mar 7, 7:32 AM: Against community pushback and staff recommendations to deny both applications, the Orange County Board of Education voted Wednesday to approve proposals for two charter schools to operate within local school districts.
- Charter school sues Sausalito Marin City district over budget cuts
- > Mar 7, 7:26 AM: Willow Creek Academy charter school in Sausalito has sued the Sausalito Marin City School District and Marin County Superintendent of Schools Mary Jane Burke to block the district’s plan to cut $1 million from the charter
- Charter schools fear impact of proposed rules
- > Mar 7, 6:36 AM: Gov. Gavin Newsom late on Tuesday, March 5 signed into law Senate Bill 126, which ensures that all corporate charter schools are held to the same transparency and accountability standards as neighborhood public schools.
- Letter: Misled Over the StrikeCharter schools are not the enemy
- > Mar 6, 7:59 AM: In recent weeks, much has been reported on the Oakland Unified School District teacher strike. Valid issues addressing major concerns associated with California’s deteriorating public education system include teacher pay
- Charter schools fear impact of proposed rules
- Mar 6, 7:34 AM: Charter school leaders are a bit leery of the intent of some new charter school bills gaining traction in the State Legislature.
- New California law holds charter schools to same transparency laws as other public schools
- > Mar 6, 6:15 AM: Charter schools are public schools and generally are subject to the same laws as other public schools, but a new California bill erases any doubt about whether charter schools must adhere to the state’s open meeting,
- L.A. school board seat could tip political scales on charter movement
- Mar 4, 8:22 AM: Los Angeles teachers drew widespread support when they went on strike in January, but public commitment to their cause will be tested Tuesday in an important school board election.
- Oakland teachers strike ends with union members ratifying deal
- Mar 4, 7:55 AM: Oakland teachers ended their seven-day strike Sunday and will return to schools Monday after approving a new contract that won them salary increases and concessions on class sizes and staff workloads.
- Commentary: Why charter public schools matter, especially for my kids
- > Mar 4, 6:25 AM: I am in awe of every Los Angeles Unified teacher and respect their decision to strike and stand up for what they believe in. Like them, I’m passionate about improving the quality of education for students across this city.
- Opinion: Anti-charter school bill would rob from our kids to feed the bureaucracy
- > Mar 1, 8:36 AM: Rep. Cathy Kipp, a freshman Democrat from Fort Collins, is proposing a bill, HB 1190, that threatens school equality in Colorado. On contentious issues like education funding (and why, exactly is this contentious?), it can
- Bay Area district joins others in calling for moratorium on charter school expansions
- Mar 1, 8:34 AM: West Contra Costa Unified has seen charter school enrollment double from 5 percent to 10 percent of all students in the district.
- Despite Tensions, Some Oakland Charter School Teachers Join Picket Line in Solidarity
- > Mar 1, 8:32 AM: It's a sentiment heard loudly and clearly on the picket lines of striking teachers throughout Oakland and in the organizing playbook of their union: charter schools are bad news for Oakland's teachers and students.
- L.A. school board asks property owners to show support with more tax money
- Mar 1, 8:27 AM: Los Angeles school officials once saw the January teachers’ strike as a calamity. Now they realize it created an opportunity.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Salinas Californian - Online, The 100%
- Victorville Daily Press - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Paso Robles Press - Online 0%
- T.H.E. Journal - Online 0%