- $20M to help fund new Great Hearts charter school
- May 26, 7:06 AM: Great Hearts Academies, a charter-school network with roughly two dozen sites in Arizona and Texas, plans to open a new campus in Maryvale in 2018.
- Ducey veto of teacher evaluation bill slammed by union
- May 24, 5:51 AM: The union representing Arizona teachers on Tuesday slammed Gov. Doug Ducey for vetoing what they called a sensible change to the evaluation process for classroom instructors and principals.
- State awards loans to two charter schools in controversial program
- May 18, 5:48 AM: The state has awarded the first two loan guarantees to privately owned charter schools in a program that has raised questions about its legality.
- Voter referendum efforts afoot to stall voucher, initiatives laws
- May 15, 6:04 AM: Citizens are already organizing efforts to roll back two major products of the 2017 Arizona Legislature session – expanded vouchers and curbs on the voter initiative process.
- The charter network behind the best American public high schools shares its secret for success
- > May 11, 5:34 AM: Reford says BASIS sets itself apart first by holding teachers in high regard, treating them as white-collar professionals that have autonomy in the classroom. Teachers are encouraged to pursue whatever it takes to get kids
- Parents seeking signatures for voucher petition
- > May 10, 6:08 AM: Arizona voters may get the last word on making vouchers available to all students. A group of parents is hoping to gather 75,321 valid signatures on petitions by early August by foes of the legislation approved by
- Parent group will seek to overturn Arizona school-voucher expansion
- May 9, 4:39 AM: Public-education advocates are launching a referendum campaign to halt the controversial expansion of Arizona’s school-voucher-style program.
- Students, teachers opting for online schools
- May 5, 6:39 AM: When it comes to K-12 education, Arizona families have some options but one in particular is becoming a fast favorite for students, parents and teachers.
- Watchdog charter school group takes aim at best high school ranking list
- May 4, 6:42 AM: The best of the best attend high school at BASIS Scottsdale, according to a new ranking by US News and World Report. However, an Arizona charter school watchdog group doesn't necessarily agree.
- Arizona awards controversial loan guarantees to privately owned charter schools
- May 1, 5:51 AM: The state has awarded the first two loan guarantees to privately owned charter schools in a program that has raised legality questions.
- Leman Academy continues Southern Arizona expansion with new online school
- May 1, 5:23 AM: Leman Academy of Excellence continues its expansion across Southern Arizona with the launch of an online charter school for grades K-8.
- Voucher-backing group runs thank-you TV ads in Arizona
- > Apr 25, 6:05 AM: A national group vocally backing school voucher expansion in Arizona ran television ads during a political talk show over the weekend thanking Republican Gov. Doug Ducey and GOP lawmakers who voted for the legislation.
- Letter: More School Choice (by Jeanne Allen)
- > Apr 24, 7:19 AM: Arizona has a long history with school choice — it has a pioneering strong charter school law, various tax credit and special needs scholarships, and competitive public schools. Now, Empowerment Scholarship Accounts will
- After passage of voucher bill, critics raise voices on Arizona House floor
- Apr 24, 5:42 AM: For many Republican lawmakers, the fight over school vouchers ended earlier this month when they expanded the state's program. But for opponents, the battle is far from over.
- Basis planning new charter school on Tucson's south side
- Apr 24, 4:40 AM: Basis school network is planning to open a primary campus on Tucson’s south side as part of an initiative to bring its challenging curriculum to underserved areas.
- Arizona is expanding its school-voucher program. What does it mean for parents?
- > Apr 21, 6:24 AM: Since its passage, there have been unanswered questions about how the expansion will be implemented. The Arizona Republic sought to answer them, but in some instances, state officials said they can't fully explain how the
- GOP lawmaker questions school voucher costs
- Apr 18, 5:41 AM: It was billed as taxpayer savings. But will it end up costing them in the end? State Sen. Kate Brophy McGee, R-Phoenix, is now determined to find out the real costs of Arizona's school voucher program.
- Arizona is leading the nation with great charter schools, but for how much longer? (CER in the news)
- > Apr 12, 7:21 AM: The just-released 17th edition of the Center for Education Reform's yearly scorecard of state charter school laws once again finds the Arizona charter law right up there at the top of the list, one of only two states (plus
- School-voucher, initiative bills spur Gov. Doug Ducey recall effort
- > Apr 11, 5:46 AM: An effort is afoot to recall Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey in response to his signing legislation that expands the state's school-voucher program and a separate measure adding hurdles to the citizen-initiative process.
- Arizona Frees Money for Private Schools, Buoyed by Trump’s Voucher Push
- > Apr 10, 7:14 AM: Gov. Doug Ducey of Arizona has signed into law sweeping changes in how state money can be used to educate students, making it easier for parents to enroll their children in private schooling at public expense.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily News-Sun - Online 83%
- East Valley Tribune 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- White Mountain Independent 17%
- Holbrook Tribune-News - Online, The 25%