- Column: Arizona leaders preparing end run on voters to save their school voucher law
- Apr 12, 5:49 AM: From the moment a grassroots group of Arizona citizens had the nerve to challenge our leaders and freeze their efforts to divert more of our money to private schools, You. Knew. This. Was. Coming.
- Will Arizona Republicans 'repeal and replace' voucher expansion to thwart referendum?
- > Apr 11, 4:35 AM: A Republican state lawmaker is discussing with colleagues and outside groups a plan that could knock Proposition 305 off the November ballot before voters can decide the fate of Arizona's expanded school-voucher program.
- Kids already in private schools could receive tuition vouchers under GOP plan
- Apr 6, 5:30 AM: The Arizona Legislature is debating further loosening a key requirement to participate in the state's school voucher-style program.
- State Supreme Court rules vote on school choice initiative will take place
- > Apr 6, 4:56 AM: The Arizona Supreme Court ruled those filing a challenge to the ballot initiative had no standing to question the validity of some of the more than 75,000 signatures presented by grass roots organizations and public school
- Opinion: The real reason behind Arizona's expanded voucher law? Profit
- Apr 5, 6:00 AM: So, profitability – not student achievement – was the primary motivation in pushing Arizona to create a universal voucher program. Well, there’s a shocker.
- Column: Charter schools, teachers crucial to outcome of #RedForEd movement
- > Apr 4, 6:11 AM: Inspired by a successful strike in West Virginia, teachers are moving toward a possible walkout for better pay here in Arizona. But there’s a big difference between the two states that the so-called #RedForEd movement may
- Bill gives special treatment to corporate sponsors of charter schools
- Apr 3, 6:05 AM: A controversial bill making its way through the Legislature is sparking claims that it gives education kickbacks to corporations.
- Fate of Imperial Valley charter school hangs in the balance
- > Mar 29, 7:25 AM: Last fall, Imagine School, a charter school that's attended by more than eight hundred students, was denied a re-newal by the El Centro Elementary School District. I spoke with Grace Jiminez, the school's principal, who
- Column: School voucher lobby loses another round
- Mar 29, 6:02 AM: The Arizona Attorney General's Office found no evidence that Sen. Catherine Miranda committed a crime while circulating petitions to put Arizona's expanded voucher law on the ballot.
- Teachers swarm Capitol, demand 20 percent pay hike
- > Mar 29, 5:58 AM: Save Our Schools Arizona is not only gearing up for a possible referendum on whatever lawmakers may replace existing voucher expansion legislation with but also for a potential initiative to address public education
- Opinion: ASU students should get active in school choice initiatives
- > Mar 23, 4:54 AM: School of choice and Empowerment Scholarship Accounts (ESAs) are controversial subjects that have divided political parties for several years. In Arizona, personal choice in education is a huge issue, and the benefits that
- Voters may get the last word on school voucher expansion
- Mar 22, 5:14 AM: Arizona voters will have the last word on expanding a program that gives parents money to send their children to private and parochial schools — unless Republican lawmakers take it away.
- Bill would force Arizona districts to consider charter, private school proposals to buy closed buildings
- > Mar 21, 6:11 AM: The legislation which already has passed the House and now goes to Gov. Doug Ducey, spells out that when a district offers a building or even part of a building for sale or lease, it cannot accept an offer from a potential
- Audit says charter school received too much state aid
- Mar 19, 7:27 AM: A Fort Mohave charter school is disputing an audit by the Arizona Department of Education that says the school has to pay back more than $100,000 in state aid.
- Teachers fight school tax credit expansion, call for more public education funding
- > Mar 16, 5:20 AM: Kelbick and other teachers at the Capitol Wednesday targeted a bill that would make several changes to the state's School Tuition Organization tax credit program, which gives taxpayers a dollar-for-dollar tax credit for
- Teachers in Red Rally at Arizona Capitol, Protest Tax Credits for Private Schools
- Mar 15, 5:29 AM: About 100 Arizona teachers and supporters rallied at the Arizona Capitol on Wednesday, turning out in support of their Red for Ed movement and to oppose a private-school tax-credit bill.
- How did Phoenix become the Silicon Valley of EdTech? (CER in the news)
- > Mar 13, 7:08 AM: Arizona is one of the top three states in the nation for school choice, according to the Center for Education Reform’s 2017 Parent Power Index. Both Sobon and Zylstra said this created an environment open to embracing
- ACLU demands changes at charter schools over alleged enrollment practices
- > Mar 13, 6:24 AM: It's been a bumpy road for charter schools in Arizona, with events ranging from closures to controversy. Now, there is a new concern. The document was supposed to rattle the cages of charter schools statewide back in
- In Arizona, a push for school choice targets Latino voters
- > Mar 7, 6:29 AM: In April of 2017, school choice advocates across the country applauded a historic win when Arizona passed a law expanding Empowerment Scholarship Accounts. The accounts, which operate as a type of school voucher program
- Senate committee targets vacant schools, charter buyers
- Mar 5, 5:58 AM: The Arizona Senate Education Committee took steps Thursday to prevent school districts from taking lower offers from potential buyers if a higher offer from a charter school exists.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily News-Sun - Online 83%
- East Valley Tribune 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- White Mountain Independent 17%
- Holbrook Tribune-News - Online, The 25%