- Charter schools fill niche, thrive in Gilbert market
- Apr 6, 5:39 AM: In the 25 years since charter schools began operating in Arizona, Gilbert has proven to be a popular landing spot despite three highly rated public school districts serving residents.
- Opinion: Ballot initiatives are asking the court for an end-around lawmakers. It may not work
- > Apr 3, 7:10 AM: But many others, including one to cap the number on school vouchers and Invest In Education, which seeks to tax high-earners for K-12 funding, had banked on big drives in the spring — right as the COVID-19 outbreak
- Challenge Charter School makes quick transition to digital lessons
- > Apr 2, 7:28 AM: Within days of Gov. Doug Ducey announcing that Arizona schools would remain closed through the end of the academic year, Challenge Charter School, 5801 W. Greenbriar Dr., in Glendale, had launched digital curriculum for
- Letter: Supports Save Our Schools Act
- Apr 1, 5:31 AM: My child attended a charter school, and I am thankful Arizona has so many school choice options, but the Legislature needs to ensure our tax dollars are being used to responsibly benefit our state.
- Opinion: School choice necessary, but it’s not solution for special ed students
- > Mar 23, 5:55 AM: As the school year is coming to a close and parents are deciding where to send their kids next year, school choice is once again at the forefront of everyone’s minds – especially for families with children who have
- Republicans press to remove oversight of voucher program away from education agency
- > Feb 27, 8:16 AM: A pair of Republican state senators plans to independently amend an Empowerment Scholarship Accounts bill to change partial oversight of the program and establish a plan to determine what happens to unused money in
- Arizona Public School Supporters Want to Limit Number of Vouchers
- Feb 27, 6:40 AM: An organization of public school supporters wants voters to limit the number of vouchers of state tax dollars that parents can use to send their children to private and parochial schools.
- New Arizona school voucher bills revive clash over their expansion
- Feb 18, 7:41 AM: Two bills at the state Legislature would allow Arizona families to use school vouchers to send their children to out-of-state schools.
- Opinion: Education Department keeps children from education they deserve
- > Feb 14, 6:29 AM: I am the mother of four children, two of whom participate in Arizona’s Empowerment Scholarship Account program. That means I am one of nearly 7,000 parents whose personal information was inadvertently disclosed by the
- Seven thousand school choice students had personal data leaked by state Department of Education
- > Feb 5, 7:03 AM: Hoffman’s anti-choice stance is a slap in the face of the families who exercise their legal right to seek alternative options for the education of their children — especially since Hoffman herself attended an expensive
- Opinion: If Arizona taxpayers fund student vouchers, why are their parents sitting on the cash?
- Feb 4, 6:59 AM: While Arizona's public schools are shortchanged, some parents have more than $100,000 in their Empowerment Scholarship Accounts accounts. Don't look for our leaders to do anything about it.
- Opinion: Arizona's education chief may not like vouchers, but she must follow the law
- > Feb 3, 7:09 AM: Hopefully, the breach was a mistake as the department claims. Yet, it is just the latest example of their sloppy management of the program. Superintendent of Public Instruction Kathy Hoffman is on record as opposing ESAs,
- Education Department blunder puts ESA parent names in hands of group that opposes expansion of voucher program
- > Jan 28, 7:49 AM: The Arizona Department of Education provided a spreadsheet that inadvertently named every parent with an Empowerment Scholarship Account in the state to a group that widely opposes the program, a likely violation of
- New think tank will focus on charter school innovation
- > Jan 23, 7:22 AM: A new think tank dedicated to further improving student achievement and educational opportunity at charter schools across Arizona recently was launched by the non-profit Arizona Charter Schools Association (ACSA).
- Opinion: Arizona does school choice right
- > Jan 20, 9:19 AM: In fact, the type of school environment where a child spends more than six hours a day can be life-changing. And, if children benefit from environments that tap into their strengths — while nurturing and invigorating them
- Opinion: Hey, Gov. Ducey, vouchers and charters don't win Arizona education. Teachers do
- Jan 20, 8:10 AM: During his State of the State address, Gov. Doug Ducey spoke a lot about school choice, open enrollment, charter schools and vouchers.
- Scholarships give more students with autism a chance at Phoenix school
- > Jan 20, 7:31 AM: The classrooms of Gateway Academy are a safe place where challenges are learning opportunities and students are celebrated for their differences. The private school now will be able to serve more “Twice-Exceptional
- Results-Based Funding: A Tale Of Two Districts And a Charter Chain
- > Jan 17, 7:52 AM: If the students who walk through a school's doors have high family incomes, it's close to a sure thing the school will get results-based funding. As students' family incomes go down, and, ironically, the need for extra
- Micro schools and more school choice helps tribal children succeed
- > Jan 15, 6:45 AM: In our San Carlos Apache Tribal community, along with most other Arizona tribal communities, children are among the lowest performing on standardized state tests. Approximately 50% of our teens ultimately drop out of
- Opinion: School choice just fantasy for special needs families
- Jan 14, 6:18 AM: The promise of parental choice in education is a profound lie and it is particularly galling to parents of children with special needs who are exhausted from fighting for our kids.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily News-Sun - Online 83%
- East Valley Tribune 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- White Mountain Independent 17%
- Holbrook Tribune-News - Online, The 25%