- Opinion: Private enterprise in education is no bogeyman
- > Nov 12, 6:36 AM: The vast majority of children in the U.S. attend a government-run school, assigned to them based on their zip code. It is like being told that we must buy our bread from the one assigned market nearby, or our shoes from
- Commentary: "Let Them Eat Choice" And Other Takeaways From the National NAEP Test Results
- > Nov 6, 7:01 AM: Why are Arizona's scores improving? No one knows. Some people say it shows money in education isn't all that important. Others say it's our dedicated teachers. Still others say our growing charter school sector is upping
- Editorial: Who needs all that book learnin’?
- > Nov 5, 8:25 AM: These “voucher” programs are touted as a way to help all students in underperforming school districts have an opportunity at a high-quality education; however, the plan doesn’t help families in rural parts of the state or
- Delays remain in state school voucher program
- Oct 30, 6:08 AM: Gov. Doug Ducey won’t commit to providing the funds that schools chief Kathy Hoffman says she needs to properly administer the state’s voucher program.
- Stakes even higher for rural school districts going into special election
- > Oct 29, 7:31 AM: After November 5, nearly half the school districts in Maricopa County will start planning their futures based on what voters decide in the special election. Many are relying on bonds or overrides to help fill a growing
- Ducey won’t commit to more funds for school voucher program
- Oct 25, 5:45 AM: Gov. Doug Ducey won’t commit to providing the funds that schools chief Kathy Hoffman says she needs to properly administer the state’s voucher program.
- Arizona schools chief Kathy Hoffman blames GOP Legislature for voucher slowdown
- > Oct 21, 6:10 AM: Arizona School Superintendent Kathy Hoffman blames underfunding by the Republican-controlled Legislature for her department’s slow processing of payments for families enrolled in the state’s school-voucher program.
- Opinion: Republican lawmakers waste $175,000 to fuel their grudge match against Kathy Hoffman
- > Oct 16, 5:33 AM: Rep. Kelly Townsend, the Mesa Republican who requested the audit, acknowledged that Hoffman has been shorted by the Legislature. However, she said Hoffman seems to be spending more time doing “forensic audits” to determine
- Arizona legislators vote to audit Education Department's Empowerment Scholarships program
- Oct 15, 5:02 AM: A legislative committee voted on Thursday to audit the Arizona Department of Education amid long-running delays in applications for the state's voucher-like program.
- Editorial: School choice has serious downsides
- > Oct 9, 5:11 AM: Arizona has been at the front line of this battle since 2011 when the state created Empowerment Scholarship Accounts (ESA), giving parents vouchers and allowing them to choose which school their children will attend. The
- Arizona lawmaker introduces bill aimed at Native American students
- Oct 1, 8:27 AM: An Arizona lawmaker has introduced a bill aimed at offering vouchers for Native American students to diversify their educational options.
- This small Arizona high school has state-of-the-art college-like facilities
- Sep 13, 7:49 AM: It's only a 3A school tucked away in ever-growing Queen Creek, where new homes are under construction just a few streets away.
- Opinion: Arizona parents want school choice and support charter schools. Here's proof
- > Sep 6, 6:03 AM: For parents of the more than 1.1 million Arizona students enrolled in a public school, it’s hard to imagine that less than a generation ago, the decision about where your child would attend school was made for you, not by
- Arizona’s ESA school voucher program shares problems California’s Medicaid system
- > Sep 4, 5:00 AM: The people who suffer most when Republican lawmakers purposefully hobble oversight of the voucher program are the families trying to secure the best education for their children and the taxpayers of Arizona who fund the
- School vouchers awarded up 33% this year, but oversight funding unchanged
- Aug 22, 4:59 AM: The Arizona Department of Education says a record 8,200 students are expected to receive $110 million in school vouchers this school year.
- Ducey may seek ESA changes due to recent controversies
- > Aug 21, 5:58 AM: In the midst of several recent controversies and a PR campaign against the new Democratic superintendent of public instruction by a prominent school choice advocacy group, Gov. Doug Ducey is signalling that he’ll push for
- Letter: Online school allows family to focus on son’s health
Over the years, one of our biggest concerns was that Drew would lead as normal a life as possible, including getting a great education. His condition leaves him susceptible to sickness, so we have to protect him from >
Aug 16, 7:09 AM:
- Arizona celebrates 25 years of charter schools
- > Aug 13, 7:15 AM: In 1994, Arizona became just the second state in the nation to enact a law that would establish public charter schools in the state. The following year, 67 charter schools opened and enrolled under 8,000 students
- Mesa homeschooled students given ESA vouchers by mistake
- Aug 12, 6:18 AM: An error by Mesa Public Schools could lead to 27 homeschooled students losing access to the Arizona Empowerment Scholarship Accounts program they were mistakenly granted.
- Charter school to make $2.55 million offer on Green Fields School
- Aug 8, 6:34 AM: Accelerated Learning Laboratory, a Tucson charter school, is set to offer $2.55 million to purchase Green Fields School, which announced recently that it was closing due to financial troubles.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily News-Sun - Online 83%
- East Valley Tribune 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- White Mountain Independent 17%
- Holbrook Tribune-News - Online, The 25%