- Local teenage silversmith overcomes bullying through online education, faith
- > Mar 18, 6:30 AM: Growing up can be tough, especially if some of those tough situations include being bullied at school for following a certain religion, the way you sound, dress and anything else people can find to pick at. But there’s
- Charter school reform bill takes another step after GOP rebuffs efforts to make it tougher
- Mar 14, 5:22 AM: Legislation to modestly reform the law governing Arizona's 500-plus charter schools took a step forward in the state Senate after amendments to add more teeth to bill were defeated.
- How Arizona EdTech Is Changing the World of Learning (CER in the news)
- Mar 12, 7:40 AM: In an increasingly digital world, educators are looking for ways to expand access and engage students, while corporations seek to equip their workforce with skills for the jobs of the future.
- Opinion: The legislature lacks courage for real charter reform, despite outcry
- > Feb 27, 6:24 AM: This poses a problem because charters, unlike district schools, have corporate boards in addition to school governing boards. The school governing boards set policy, but it’s the corporate boards that deal with financial
- Opinion: These charter school reforms aren't perfect, but they strike the right balance
- > Feb 25, 6:05 AM: Understanding that the actions of a few outliers have rightfully caused concerns, the public charter sector has engaged in conversations with lawmakers, the Arizona State Board for Charter Schools, the Attorney General’s
- Opinion: SOS AZ wants real reforms of vouchers, not extinction
- > Feb 22, 7:27 AM: Remarkably, I learned at last week’s Senate Finance Committee hearing that there are some people who still don’t know Save Our Schools Arizona’s stance on the Empowerment Scholarship Account voucher program. As an
- Senate panel approves ESA bill amid fierce opposition
- > Feb 14, 6:44 AM: Senate Bill 1395, sponsored by Sen. Sylvia Allen, R-Snowflake, seemingly expands the Empowerment Scholarship Account program in many areas, including allowing students who don’t use the funds to keep them until they are 22
- Column: Mark Brnovich doesn't understand how Arizona charter schools work
- > Feb 13, 7:53 AM: Attorney General Mark Brnovich has weighed in on the charter school reform debate, but in a way that indicates that he doesn’t really understand the charter school system. Or, alternatively, that he doesn’t support it.
- Bill strips Department of Education of voucher oversight
- > Feb 12, 5:57 AM: A Republican lawmaker wants the state to hire a private company to oversee and administer Arizona’s voucher program and wants State Treasurer Kimberly Yee, not the newly elected Democratic superintendent, to choose the
- Superintendent Kathy Hoffman calls on lawmakers to raise school funding
- > Feb 5, 8:17 AM: Hoffman's speech was a balancing act between her identities as a former educator who marched with #RedForEd and a newly elected Democratic politician who will have to cross the aisle and work with Republican leadership if
- Opinion: Major charter school reform? More like major disappointment
- Feb 5, 6:07 AM: Sen. Kate Brophy McGee's charter reform bill won't do much of anything to stop operators from treating publicly funded charter schools like cash cows.
- East Palo Alto community debates KIPP expansion
- > Feb 4, 6:57 AM: As the newly constituted Ravenswood school board moves toward making what could be one of its most consequential decisions -- closing a neighborhood school to make room for a growing charter school -- trustees and
- Charter reform? Bill to rein in charter operators has big exemptions for major players
- > Feb 4, 6:27 AM: Legislation introduced by an influential Republican state senator would require charter schools to disclose more about their finances. But the bill contains a large loophole that would allow the state's biggest chains like
- What charter school accountability, transparency really mean
- Jan 28, 8:42 AM: On January 9, the Grand Canyon Institute released its third policy paper on charter school financial practices in Arizona — Red Flags: Overleveraged Debt.
- Opinion: School voucher expansion again? Why can't our leaders take no for an answer?
- Jan 23, 7:22 AM: Just two months after Arizona voters vetoed school voucher expansion, a legislator has proposed school voucher expansion. Why can't our leaders take no for an answer?
- Proposed Arizona bill, H.B. 2017, looks to limit school walkouts like Red for Ed movement
- Jan 18, 6:20 AM: H.B. 2017 looks to end teacher walkouts in Arizona, like the ones seen previously during the height of the Red for Ed movement.
- Opinion: Another school voucher bill after voters said no? Beware, Arizona
- > Jan 17, 6:22 AM: The GOP-led Legislature has long schemed for ways to divert public money to private schools in the name of parental choice. In 2009, the state Supreme Court declared the state’s voucher program an unconstitutional use of
- Opinion: If Gov. Doug Ducey won't even say 'charter school,' how can he fix charter school scandals?
- > Jan 16, 6:11 AM: It was a pretty long State of the State speech Gov. Doug Ducey delivered Monday, and the words "charter schools" were spoken exactly … never. Which means the words "charter school scandals" — yes, plural — also were not
- Ducey calls for bipartisanship in State of the State, sets stage for schisms with GOP lawmakers
- > Jan 15, 6:05 AM: In his speech, Ducey didn’t specifically mention charter schools. But while praising Arizona’s school-choice policies, he said there is room for improvement and called for “more transparency, more accountability, and
- More than 100 Arizona charter schools could close because of financial issues, report says
- > Jan 10, 6:15 AM: Following the abrupt closure of at least three Arizona charter schools over the past year, a new report concludes more than 100 of the state's charters are in danger of closing because of excessive debt and other financial
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily News-Sun - Online 83%
- East Valley Tribune 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- White Mountain Independent 17%
- Holbrook Tribune-News - Online, The 25%