- Board approves charter school for Fairbanks
- Aug 3, 7:19 AM: The Fairbanks North Star Borough School District approved the creation of a new charter school Tuesday evening.
- State seeks to throw out "highly qualified" teacher requirements
- > Jul 26, 6:51 AM: It is the first step to align Alaska’s policies that prove educators are equipped to instruct in their content areas with new regulations set forth in the Every Student Succeeds Act, or ESSA, the 2015 reauthorization of
- New Fronteras first publicly owned, financed charter school
- Jul 22, 7:13 AM: Thanks to hardworking parents, dedicated educators, a faithful borough and a hefty loan from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Fronteras Spanish Immersion School finally has a school that fits.
- Alaska repeals teacher evaluation plan
- Jun 27, 7:53 AM: In a win for Alaska’s teachers, the State Board of Education has repealed a requirement that teacher evaluations include student achievement data.
- School Board members optimistic about new charter school
- Jun 7, 7:07 AM: Fairbanks North Star Borough School Board members asked questions but mostly expressed optimism at the prospect of creating another charter school Monday.
- Local group hopes to open new charter school
- Jun 6, 6:20 AM: A group of parents and teachers is hoping to bring a new charter school to the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District.
- Borough school board to review district’s charter school policies
- Mar 25, 7:04 AM: The Fairbanks North Star Borough school board will soon take up a review of the district’s charter school policies.
- In Anchorage education lottery, lots of winners
- > Mar 3, 7:51 AM: It’s school lottery time in Anchorage. That means parents who may want to opt out of their neighborhood school are considering optional and charter school programs across the district. But at least one neighborhood school
- School district looking into creating K-8 schools
- Dec 31, 8:41 AM: Fairbanks school district officials are advancing preliminary plans to potentially replace one or more middle schools with schools that would teach students in kindergarten through eighth grade.
- Drawing new lines
- > Dec 9, 6:56 AM: When a charter school hoping to attract low-income students failed to get the green light by the Juneau Board of Education earlier this year, a legal discussion began – can more poor students legally be anyone’s goal?
- Summit STEM charter school proposal fails
- Oct 21, 6:30 AM: After three hours of testimony and discussion, the Juneau School Board on Tuesday night rejected a proposal to start a STEM charter elementary school in the district.
- Kaleidoscope named a Blue Ribbon School
- Oct 6, 6:04 AM: The Kaleidoscope School of Arts and Science was announced Tuesday as one of 335 schools nationwide and three in Alaska named the 2015 National Blue Ribbon Schools.
- STEM school paused amid concerns
- Sep 17, 6:15 AM: If a charter school in Alaska wants to set strict socioeconomic requirements for enrollment, it should pick another state.
- Big push for STEM
- > Sep 1, 5:53 AM: Members of the Juneau School Board and proponents of a new charter school came together during a special meeting Tuesday night. For the second time this year before the board, they proposed creating the first elementary
- New charter school combines variety of models
- Aug 31, 4:47 AM: P.A.I.D.E.I.A., a K-12 school, caters to both the correspondent students who receive their schooling at home and the home-school students who want to take some classes in a traditional classroom setting.
- New Anchorage charter school combines traditional, home-school models
- > Aug 24, 7:19 AM: Last week, hours after thousands of students across town grabbed their backpacks and entered their classrooms for the start of the 2015-16 school year, a brand-new Anchorage charter school hosted its first open house in
- Assembly to debate charter school tax exemption
- Aug 18, 6:11 AM: Birchtree Charter School in Wasilla is one of six charter schools in the Mat-Su. The Mat-Su Borough Assembly is considering a measure that would exempt such schools from paying property taxes.
- STEM charter school seeks to breakdown barriers, open doors to disadvantaged
- > Aug 13, 6:13 AM: Dean, along with several other teachers in the Juneau School District and members of the public, is working to create the first elementary school in Alaska focused on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM)
- Juneau’s next charter school may the first of its kind in Alaska
- > Aug 12, 6:36 AM: A group of educators and parents in Juneau are advocating for a new charter school focusing on science, technology, engineering and math. They think it would be the first elementary STEM school in the state.
- Juneau school board approves charter school through 2026
- Jun 10, 5:38 AM: The Juneau Board of Education approved Juneau Community Charter School’s charter Tuesday, though board members considered a shorter charter and other potential changes before the final vote.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Valdez Star - Online 67%
- Juneau Empire - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Anchorage Daily News 33%
- The Anchorage Press 33%