- Drawing new lines
- > Dec 9, 6:56 AM: When a charter school hoping to attract low-income students failed to get the green light by the Juneau Board of Education earlier this year, a legal discussion began – can more poor students legally be anyone’s goal?
- Summit STEM charter school proposal fails
- Oct 21, 6:30 AM: After three hours of testimony and discussion, the Juneau School Board on Tuesday night rejected a proposal to start a STEM charter elementary school in the district.
- Kaleidoscope named a Blue Ribbon School
- Oct 6, 6:04 AM: The Kaleidoscope School of Arts and Science was announced Tuesday as one of 335 schools nationwide and three in Alaska named the 2015 National Blue Ribbon Schools.
- STEM school paused amid concerns
- Sep 17, 6:15 AM: If a charter school in Alaska wants to set strict socioeconomic requirements for enrollment, it should pick another state.
- Big push for STEM
- > Sep 1, 5:53 AM: Members of the Juneau School Board and proponents of a new charter school came together during a special meeting Tuesday night. For the second time this year before the board, they proposed creating the first elementary
- New charter school combines variety of models
- Aug 31, 4:47 AM: P.A.I.D.E.I.A., a K-12 school, caters to both the correspondent students who receive their schooling at home and the home-school students who want to take some classes in a traditional classroom setting.
- New Anchorage charter school combines traditional, home-school models
- > Aug 24, 7:19 AM: Last week, hours after thousands of students across town grabbed their backpacks and entered their classrooms for the start of the 2015-16 school year, a brand-new Anchorage charter school hosted its first open house in
- Assembly to debate charter school tax exemption
- Aug 18, 6:11 AM: Birchtree Charter School in Wasilla is one of six charter schools in the Mat-Su. The Mat-Su Borough Assembly is considering a measure that would exempt such schools from paying property taxes.
- STEM charter school seeks to breakdown barriers, open doors to disadvantaged
- > Aug 13, 6:13 AM: Dean, along with several other teachers in the Juneau School District and members of the public, is working to create the first elementary school in Alaska focused on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM)
- Juneau’s next charter school may the first of its kind in Alaska
- > Aug 12, 6:36 AM: A group of educators and parents in Juneau are advocating for a new charter school focusing on science, technology, engineering and math. They think it would be the first elementary STEM school in the state.
- Juneau school board approves charter school through 2026
- Jun 10, 5:38 AM: The Juneau Board of Education approved Juneau Community Charter School’s charter Tuesday, though board members considered a shorter charter and other potential changes before the final vote.
- School board approves charter school contract
- > May 14, 6:39 AM: The Juneau Board of Education voted during its regular meeting on Tuesday to approve the Juneau Community Charter School’s annual contract. The board also held its first reading of the school’s charter, also up for
- Anchorage School Board amends budget, moves charter school facility money to save teaching jobs
- > May 5, 6:03 AM: The Anchorage School Board passed an amended budget on Monday night for the 2015-16 school year. They voted to move $1 million from the Charter School Facility Fund into the budget to lessen the blow of potential
- Last minute bid by Alaska teachers’ union to sway lawmakers
- Apr 10, 6:15 AM: A new radio commercial from the National Education Association of Alaska is urging the public to contact lawmakers in Juneau and tell them to reinstate proposed reductions to education.
- New ASD charter school prepares to open in fall of 2015
- Mar 10, 6:18 AM: A new ASD charter school is scheduled to open its doors next fall, if it has enough students enrolled in the March lottery.
- School choice talk turns into ideological debate
- > Feb 24, 6:06 AM: While discussing Republican Wasilla Rep. Lynn Gattis’ resolution to establish School Choice Week in January, Republicans on the floor raised parents’ right to choose, and said Alaska’s abundant school choices — public,
- Charter school tabled again
- Feb 9, 7:45 AM: After an initial rejection by the school board, appeal to the state by the organizing partnership, and referral back to the school board, Arkose Ridge Leadership Academy remains a dream.
- Anchorage Assembly passes property tax exemption for charter schools
- Feb 5, 7:29 AM: The Anchorage Assembly voted Tuesday to waive property taxes for Anchorage School District charter schools, an exemption already afforded to the district’s neighborhood schools.
- Anchorage School Board approves 2 resolutions aimed at helping charter schools
- Dec 16, 7:06 AM: The Anchorage School Board approved two resolutions late Monday that aimed at helping charter schools in their challenges acquiring facilities.
- Anchorage School Board considers loan program for space-strapped charter schools
- > Dec 15, 9:33 AM: Unlike neighborhood schools, charter schools must pay for their facilities out of their operating budgets. In contrast, the district pays for the buildings of neighborhood schools through capital funding, primarily paid
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Valdez Star - Online 67%
- Juneau Empire - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Anchorage Daily News 33%
- The Anchorage Press 33%