- Alaska’s new, Florida-based virtual school is not sitting well with some educators
As Alaska educators scramble to adjust lessons to the new reality of online teaching, some are blasting a decision by Gov. Mike Dunleavy’s administration to launch a new virtual school in partnership with a Florida >
Apr 6, 7:12 AM:
- Alaska establishes new statewide online school staffed by a Florida education provider
- > Apr 3, 7:31 AM: Alaska education officials this week announced a new statewide virtual school, the result of a sole source $525,000 contract with an embattled Florida public online education provider — a move the statewide teachers’ union
- Distance-learning lesson plans take shape as Alaska’s students settle in for coronavirus closure
- > Mar 25, 7:21 AM: Districts maintain that they will continue to provide a curriculum to students. And now, what that curriculum will look like is starting to take shape. Melin says each of Alaska’s 54 school districts will handle remote
- Opinion: Anchorage is a stone’s throw from 90% high school graduation rates. But we’re not done.
- > Mar 11, 5:45 AM: Anchorage is doing better in school. Our students’ four-year, public high school graduation rate rose to more than 84% in 2019, an increase of more than three points over 2018 and a whopping 25-point gain since the
- Alaska school superintendents say the state is in ‘a reading achievement crisis.’ They’re pushing for a statewide effort to fix it.
- > Dec 18, 8:43 AM: The superindendents of seven Alaska school districts have signed a letter calling on Gov. Mike Dunleavy and the Alaska Legislature to pass legislation setting a statewide strategy for improving the reading skills of
- Devoted to its run-down schoolhouse, Anchorage charter school looks to taxpayers for repairs
- > Oct 30, 4:51 AM: The Anchorage School District estimates the new boiler, roof and other needed fixes will cost about $10 million. District officials and parents agree the fixes are needed. The question is who pays for it. Aquarian wants to
- Already Under Siege, Labor Unions Face a New Threat From Alaska
- Oct 9, 7:52 AM: After a court ruling allowed public workers who opted out of a union to not pay dues, Alaska’s governor has a new plan that could hobble unions: The workers have to opt in every year.
- Education group seeks new standards through ballot measure
- Oct 2, 7:17 AM: An education advocacy group can begin collecting signatures for a ballot measure it says will establish standards and a framework for education policy, according to a state review.
- Opinion: Education vouchers not realistic solution in vast state like Alaska
- > Sep 3, 5:26 AM: For generations, rural Alaskans have endured education systems that are a far cry from ideal. The cost of running hundreds of small schools, each in a rural community, most off the road system, is astronomical. There is
- Opinion: Changes in education will only happen through local involvement
- > Aug 23, 7:05 AM: Much of the consternation about proposed state budget vetoes this year centers around those related to education. Indeed, the University of Alaska bore the brunt of those reductions – initially $135 million and later
- Innovations Academy - Catch-Up Program for High School Students
- > Aug 15, 6:47 AM: High school students who might not otherwise graduate are welcome at a personalized learning program where they choose their own lessons and finish classes on their own schedule. Called “Innovations Academy,” the program
- Alaska’s rural schools could get a boost in internet speed
- > Apr 9, 7:42 AM: For the last five years, the state has helped Alaska schools pay for faster internet — up to a point. As technology has advanced, some say it’s time to raise the bar. A pair of bills before the Legislature would do just
- Opinion: Education reform is not about the money
- > Apr 1, 5:22 AM: When Gov. Mike Dunleavy unveiled his proposed budget, it shocked many educators. Since then, the narrative presented by some in the education community is that the governor does not care about education or children.
- Opinion: Giving students who struggle a chance to graduate
- > Feb 4, 7:05 AM: Back on Track, a partnership of United Way of Anchorage, Covenant House Alaska and the Anchorage School District powered by an AT&T Aspire Grant, has served more than 600 struggling students in grades 9 through 12 through
- North Pole's first K-8 charter school to begin taking lottery applications
- Jan 16, 8:02 AM: The Discovery Peak Charter School opening in North Pole this fall will begin recruiting students starting Tuesday through Feb. 22, according to a school founder, Sandra Boyle.
- Dunleavy says education tops his to-do list
- > Dec 28, 8:13 AM: One of the Republican governor's first stops after taking the oath of office in Kotzebue was his wife's hometown of Noorvik. While he was there he vowed to remember his roots in rural Alaska as a teacher and administrator
- State OKs first K-8 charter school for North Pole
- Dec 20, 7:46 AM: The first K-8 charter school for the city of North Pole received unanimous approval this week from the Alaska State Board of Education and Early Development.
- Small Alaska school district remains alone in offering performance bonuses to teachers
- May 4, 4:54 AM: Test results showing Alaska students perform poorly in comparison to their national counterparts naturally leads to questions about how to hold the system accountable when students fail.
- K-8 charter school planned for North Pole
- Apr 18, 7:11 AM: A new K-8 charter school is in the works for North Pole, and, if all goes well, it will open in fall 2019.
- The Anchorage School District lottery has opened. Here’s what parents need to know.
- > Jan 16, 5:44 AM: Parents who want to enroll their children in an alternative, charter or immersion language program next school year should apply, according to the Anchorage School District. So should any parents who want to send their
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Valdez Star - Online 67%
- Juneau Empire - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Anchorage Daily News 33%
- The Anchorage Press 33%