- Opinion: Giving students who struggle a chance to graduate
- > Feb 4, 7:05 AM: Back on Track, a partnership of United Way of Anchorage, Covenant House Alaska and the Anchorage School District powered by an AT&T Aspire Grant, has served more than 600 struggling students in grades 9 through 12 through
- North Pole's first K-8 charter school to begin taking lottery applications
- Jan 16, 8:02 AM: The Discovery Peak Charter School opening in North Pole this fall will begin recruiting students starting Tuesday through Feb. 22, according to a school founder, Sandra Boyle.
- Dunleavy says education tops his to-do list
- > Dec 28, 8:13 AM: One of the Republican governor's first stops after taking the oath of office in Kotzebue was his wife's hometown of Noorvik. While he was there he vowed to remember his roots in rural Alaska as a teacher and administrator
- State OKs first K-8 charter school for North Pole
- Dec 20, 7:46 AM: The first K-8 charter school for the city of North Pole received unanimous approval this week from the Alaska State Board of Education and Early Development.
- Small Alaska school district remains alone in offering performance bonuses to teachers
- May 4, 4:54 AM: Test results showing Alaska students perform poorly in comparison to their national counterparts naturally leads to questions about how to hold the system accountable when students fail.
- K-8 charter school planned for North Pole
- Apr 18, 7:11 AM: A new K-8 charter school is in the works for North Pole, and, if all goes well, it will open in fall 2019.
- The Anchorage School District lottery has opened. Here’s what parents need to know.
- > Jan 16, 5:44 AM: Parents who want to enroll their children in an alternative, charter or immersion language program next school year should apply, according to the Anchorage School District. So should any parents who want to send their
- 20 years in, Juneau Community Charter School is still constructing its own path
- > Jan 12, 5:58 AM: Founded in 1997, JCCS celebrates two decades of community-minded education this year. Though the students, parents and state education standards have changed, the school’s philosophy remains largely the same: it’s about
- Two charter schools propose changes
- Dec 8, 7:47 AM: Two charter schools in the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District are looking to the school board to amend their charter school contracts.
- Spanish, Japanese and alternative programs; hundreds wait for results on the school lottery
- > Mar 24, 6:12 AM: Thursday, at 5 p.m., is the deadline to apply for the Anchorage School District lottery. The lottery gives options to parents who want their children to attend a neighborhood school outside their zone, charter school or an
- New Fairbanks charter school to offer different approach to teaching
- Jan 23, 7:25 AM: A new public charter school is opening this fall in Fairbanks, and it’s going to be unlike any of the other public schools.
- Anchorage’s newest charter school wants students to get outside
- > Aug 24, 7:18 AM: Exploring the outdoors is a cornerstone of the students' new school, the Anchorage STrEaM Academy. It's the newest establishment in Anchorage School District's fleet of public charter schools, welcoming middle school
- Board approves charter school for Fairbanks
- Aug 3, 7:19 AM: The Fairbanks North Star Borough School District approved the creation of a new charter school Tuesday evening.
- State seeks to throw out "highly qualified" teacher requirements
- > Jul 26, 6:51 AM: It is the first step to align Alaska’s policies that prove educators are equipped to instruct in their content areas with new regulations set forth in the Every Student Succeeds Act, or ESSA, the 2015 reauthorization of
- New Fronteras first publicly owned, financed charter school
- Jul 22, 7:13 AM: Thanks to hardworking parents, dedicated educators, a faithful borough and a hefty loan from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Fronteras Spanish Immersion School finally has a school that fits.
- Alaska repeals teacher evaluation plan
- Jun 27, 7:53 AM: In a win for Alaska’s teachers, the State Board of Education has repealed a requirement that teacher evaluations include student achievement data.
- School Board members optimistic about new charter school
- Jun 7, 7:07 AM: Fairbanks North Star Borough School Board members asked questions but mostly expressed optimism at the prospect of creating another charter school Monday.
- Local group hopes to open new charter school
- Jun 6, 6:20 AM: A group of parents and teachers is hoping to bring a new charter school to the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District.
- Borough school board to review district’s charter school policies
- Mar 25, 7:04 AM: The Fairbanks North Star Borough school board will soon take up a review of the district’s charter school policies.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Valdez Star - Online 67%
- Juneau Empire - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Anchorage Daily News 33%
- The Anchorage Press 33%