- Statewide virtual school, partnering with Limestone County schools, launches in August
- > Jul 11, 6:48 AM: Jodie Dean looks forward to starting classes in August as the principal of a new school. This isn’t a traditional school she’ll be leading, but a statewide public virtual school for grades K-12 that’s partnering with the
- Examining the achievement gap between white and black students in Alabama
- > Jul 6, 6:46 AM: The authors also identified the 20 school districts in the country with the largest black-white achievement gap from tests taken in 2009 through 2013. Out of 12,200 school districts nationwide, three of Alabama's school
- Birmingham BOE sues to block charter school opening
- > Jun 30, 5:32 AM: According to its lawsuit filed earlier this month against the Alabama Public Charter School Commission, the board of education claims the commission improperly overruled its decision to deny a charter to STAR Academy.
- Alabama commission approves two new public charter schools
- > Jun 28, 5:53 AM: Two more public charter schools could open their doors in the fall of 2018, after the Alabama Public Charter School Commission fully approved one application, and conditionally approved a second one in Montgomery on
- Sumter Academy shuts down following dwindling enrollment
- > Jun 22, 6:58 AM: The closure of the school comes at the same time the University of West Alabama is in the process of forming a university-affiliated charter school over the next couple of years. Nettles believes the charter school was a
- Alabama School Superintendents Told To Refuse School Choice Forms
- Jun 16, 6:29 AM: While school’s out for summer, some low-income parents are apparently being stonewalled by school officials, preventing them from sending their children to better schools, as Alabama law allows.
- Task force looking for potential issues with virtual schools
- > Jun 12, 6:50 AM: State Superintendent Michael Sentance says he’s heard “dribs and drabs” of concern about virtual schools in the state, and has appointed a three-person task force to look at potential issues within the young programs.
- Alabama's first charter school filling student, staff rosters
- > Jun 6, 6:50 AM: As the state's first tuition-free charter school, the ACCEL Day and Evening Academy, is starting with a blank page. But the organization behind the school, the Mobile Area Education Foundation, has been working to fill in
- Officials: Virtual school checks needed
- Jun 1, 5:28 AM: Last week, State Superintendent Michael Sentance announced the formation of a three-person committee to look into the implications of virtual school state law.
- No charter school for Athens City Schools
- May 30, 6:00 AM: Athens City Schools will not authorize a charter school after board members did not have enough votes Thursday to approve an application from Teens' Path to Success.
- Education Groups Block Legislation to Fortify School Choice in Alabama
- > May 26, 5:28 AM: In 2013, Alabama passed a school choice plan called the Alabama Accountability Act, which allows low-income students to apply for scholarships to attend better schools, including private schools. As Senate President Pro
- Legislature rejects new tax credits for Alabama Accountability Act
- May 22, 5:06 AM: A bill that would have allowed more tax credit options for contributors to private school scholarships failed today in the Alabama House of Representatives.
- Enrollment to new virtual school open
- May 19, 6:34 AM: Enrollment is now open to students in grades K-12 who are interested in taking classes through Alabama Connections Academy, a statewide public virtual school authorized by Limestone County Schools.
- Athens school board gets first charter school proposal
- May 17, 6:30 AM: Athens City Schools has received its first proposal to consider for a charter school, and organizers presented the proposal to the Athens school board Tuesday night.
- Alabama not attracting charter schools, numbers show
- May 16, 5:06 AM: Two years after lawmakers passed a law allowing public charter schools to open in Alabama, it doesn't appear a flood of charters will crowd the public school landscape any time soon.
- Thousands of scholarships for Alabama children rest on House action
- > May 9, 7:02 AM: Last year, Donald Trump made school choice a hot button issue while rallying voters on the campaign trail. As a candidate, he promised he would work to enact a $20 billion dollar school choice program. Now he is attempting
- Sumter County charter school effort progressing
- May 9, 5:05 AM: Another major step has been taken in an effort to open a charter school in Sumter County, Alabama. The University of West Alabama met the May 1st deadline of turning in paperwork for the proposal.
- Collins surprised by defeat of charter school bill
- > May 8, 5:18 AM: State Rep. Terri Collins says she was baffled last week by the lack of support from Republicans and Democrats for her bill to change current charter school laws. Her bill would have left more local funding — thousands of
- Birmingham's First Charter School to Focus on Character and Academics
- May 4, 6:06 AM: This week the Alabama Charter School Commission overturned the Birmingham Board of Education’s decision to deny New Rising Star’s application for a charter school.
- Limestone nearing contract for statewide online school
- May 3, 6:24 AM: Karen Duquette, executive director for state relations with Connections Education, said the company will partner with Limestone County Schools to offer Alabama Connections Academy.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WVTM-TV - Online 67%
- Huntsville Times, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%