- Rural Alabama charter opens as first integrated school in Sumter County
- > Aug 14, 4:56 AM: At 7:50 on Monday morning, when school started at the University Charter School in Livingston, in west Alabama's Sumter County, students in kindergarten through eighth grade began a new era, hardly aware of the history
- Online public school gives students an alternative to the classroom
- > Aug 8, 6:33 AM: Alexis Ethridge , McLin’s daughter, is an upcoming second grader who utilizes the online program. Due to health complications, Alexis has to commute to Montgomery from Dothan roughly two to three times a month to visit her
- Opinion: Every time the media talks about the Alabama Accountability Act, they make the argument to expand the program
- > Aug 8, 5:31 AM: Anything that lets a poor kid leave a public school, it limits the power of the education bureaucrats and elected officials that cater to them. Any school choice or voucher program will be resisted for this reason. The
- Editorial: Military families should have exemption from public school tuition
- > Aug 7, 4:42 AM: The Enterprise School Board’s decision to begin charging tuition to the families of students who attend Enterprise schools but live outside the district has caused a kerfuffle among some families, particularly military
- Reality vs. intent: Alabama Accountability Act serves mostly students from nonfailing schools
- > Aug 6, 5:02 AM: Of the 4,132 children who received a scholarship in 2016 through the accountability act (the most recent data available), 983 were zoned to attend one of the state’s 76 failing schools, a rate of about 24 percent.
- More students in AL opting for online public school
- > Aug 3, 6:24 AM: An increasing number of students in Alabama are choosing not to go back to a traditional classroom this fall. Instead they're opting to do school online. This time last year, 900 students were enrolled in Connections
- One student vouches for Virtual School following informational meeting
- Aug 1, 6:04 AM: But online school doesn't come without stipulations. Although it is convenient, the courses are as challenging online as they would be in person.
- Virtual school programs see enrollment increase
- > Jul 30, 5:03 AM: Every child learns differently and for some, it means taking them out a brick and mortar school and trying something new. The online school option is becoming more popular and virtual programs across the state of Alabama
- Virtual school doubles in size, offers more options
- Jul 25, 5:54 AM: In just one year, Alabama Connections Learning Academy — a tuition-free, accredited K-12 public virtual school based in Limestone County — has nearly doubled its enrollment numbers.
- Athens Renaissance leads in school choice
- > Jul 20, 4:27 AM: Athens Renaissance School will enter its third year as an accredited K-12 blended and virtual education program this fall, providing a growing number of children from throughout North Alabama a customized, student-oriented
- High school students can get ahead with dual enrollment
- > Jul 19, 6:55 AM: Students who wish to get a head start on college or workforce training have an array of dual enrollment options at local community colleges and four-year institutions, typically beginning in their sophomore years.
- With school board president loss, voters cast ballots for change
Combined with the two who didn’t seek re-election, the school board is guaranteed to lose at least 40 combined years of MPS school board experience at the hands of a voter base clamoring for any semblance of change in >
Jul 18, 6:09 AM:
- Judge clears way for Alabama's second charter school to open in August
- > Jul 16, 6:27 AM: A judge on Friday cleared the way for the Aug. 13 opening of the University of West Alabama's public charter school. University Charter School will be the second public charter school to open in Alabama since 2015 when the
- Lawsuit filed over UWA charter school
- > Jun 28, 5:30 AM: The Sumter County Board of Education has filed suit to prevent the University of West Alabama from allowing its affiliated charter school to use space in the former Livingston High School building when it opens this fall,
- Valleydale Academy offers mix of home school, private school
- Jun 27, 5:38 AM: Valleydale Christian Academy was founded in 1998, Director Susan Hubbard said, when she and her husband wanted to provide an alternative for their children, who were attending public school at the time.
- How Alabama's new virtual school helped Montgomery student diagnosed with autoimmune diseases
- > May 25, 5:41 AM: Two months into her junior year at a Montgomery private school, several weeks after a three-vehicle crash left her concussed, and three years since she was diagnosed with two autoimmune diseases that would change the
- LEAD Academy opening date hinges on Supreme Court ruling
- May 18, 5:57 AM: Montgomery’s first charter school's chances of opening in the fall received a blow when a local circuit judge ruled earlier this month that a vote to approve the school was invalid.
- ‘Inspiring’ students graduate from Wallace State’s Fast Track Academy/Fast Track for Industry programs
- > May 15, 6:21 AM: Both programs allow high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to simultaneously earn their high school and college degrees, meeting state requirements for high school graduation while also providing the general
- Alabama Charter School Commission denies Bessemer school application
- May 15, 5:47 AM: The Alabama Public Charter School Commission today denied an application for a charter school in Bessemer and approved an application for one in Washington County.
- Opinion: Alabama Connections Academy principal reflects on first year
- > May 14, 6:16 AM: Throughout the school year we have strived to provide students with the tools they need to succeed and with the flexibility to learn at their own pace. As our first year comes to an end, I’d like to reflect on the many
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WVTM-TV - Online 67%
- Huntsville Times, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%