- What's Working: State's first charter school to graduate first class in Mobile
- > May 14, 5:47 AM: The school is called ACCEL Day and Evening Academy, and it's located in Mobile on Cottage Hill Road near Bel Air Mall. It opened last August. Nearly forty-five students will be wearing a cap and gown next week. The
- AL Supreme Court okays expedited appeal by LEAD Academy
- > May 10, 5:55 AM: The Alabama Supreme Court has agreed to hear an expedited appeal from LEAD Academy after a judge recently ruled the commission that approved Montgomery's first charter school did so without having enough votes.
- Charter School Commission to appeal LEAD Academy ruling
- > May 3, 6:59 AM: Mac Buttram, chairman for the Alabama Public Charter School Commission, confirmed the commission will appeal a judge’s ruling that it didn’t have enough votes to legally approve Montgomery’s first charter school.
- Montgomery judge rules charter school approval invalid
- May 2, 6:42 AM: A Montgomery judge today ruled in favor of the Alabama Education Association in a lawsuit challenging the approval of the first charter school in Montgomery.
- Judge to make decision in AEA's Montgomery charter school lawsuit Tuesday
- May 1, 6:28 AM: A lawsuit filed by the Alabama Education Association against LEAD Academy, Montgomery's first approved charter school, is now at a standstill.
- $30 million in AAA tax credits already claimed for 2018
- > Apr 30, 5:49 AM: The Alabama Accountability Act, or AAA, in part created a tax credit scholarship program allowing low-income families to use donations made to a scholarship granting organization, or SGO, to pay tuition for their children
- Richardson talks MPS student achievement, charter schools
- > Apr 9, 4:53 AM: In a sit-down interview with WSFA 12 News, Interim Alabama State Superintendent Dr. Ed Richardson covered a number of topics concerning the status of Montgomery Public Schools, a system that remains under state
- Homeschooled children offered online school in Pike County
- Apr 3, 4:58 AM: For some local districts, virtual school is an option. It allows students to learn in a non-traditional setting. And now, one county is expanding the opportunity to include homeschooled students.
- Judge allows Montgomery’s first charter school to continue prepping for fall classes amid lawsuit
- > Mar 28, 4:57 AM: The Circuit Court of Montgomery has allowed LEAD Academy to continue recruiting teachers and students as it awaits an April 30 hearing which will determine the validity of its charter, as authorized by the Alabama Public
- Alabama education chief calls out schools for not preparing graduates
- Mar 27, 6:51 AM: Alabama interim state superintendent Dr. Ed Richardson has called out more than 150 schools for not preparing their high school graduates to either go to college or begin a successful path to a career.
- Opinion: Montgomery residents should back charter schools
- > Mar 21, 5:46 AM: As we all know, Montgomery Public Schools faces many problems. Declining enrollment and poor performance are just two of the issues the entire city must face. Public education is the key to the future success of Montgomery
- Plan would convert Lanier, Bellingrath, Nixon, Floyd, Davis into charter schools
- Mar 20, 5:54 AM: If the Montgomery Education Foundation's charter school application is approved, five Montgomery public schools could eventually be converted into charter schools.
- Bill to make county school superintendents appointed advances
- Mar 16, 6:45 AM: County school superintendents would no longer be elected under a bill awaiting a final vote in the Legislature, unless individual counties vote to keep the position an elected one.
- Bill creating cyber tech magnet school in Huntsville advances
The House education budget committee this morning approved legislation to create the Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering in Huntsville. The public magnet school for grades seven through 12 would serve >
Mar 15, 6:22 AM:
- The extensive process of establishing a charter school in Alabama
- > Mar 15, 5:16 AM: In 2015 the Alabama legislature passed a bill allowing public charter schools in the state and created the Alabama Public Charter School Commission to oversee charter school applications. According to Logan Searcy, the
- What types of charter schools could Montgomery see and how do they operate?
- > Mar 15, 4:55 AM: The Montgomery County Board of Education was made a charter school authorizer in January. With the March 16 deadline for charter applications to the MCBOE looming, the Montgomery Advertiser spoke with state and national
- LEAD Academy faces challenges, critics ahead of planned fall opening
- Mar 8, 6:09 AM: For a charter school trying to be one of the first to open in Montgomery, LEAD Academy's first few months of operation have given critics plenty of questions and few answers.
- LEAD Academy charter school sued by AEA
- Mar 7, 5:47 AM: The lawsuit calls into question the legitimacy of the Alabama Public Charter School Commission's approval of LEAD Academy and names both LEAD Academy and state commission members as defendants.
- Montgomery County's first public charter school to open in August
- > Feb 13, 6:38 AM: The Alabama Public Charter School Commission Monday gave approval for LEAD Academy to become Montgomery County's first public charter school, in a 5-1 vote, with Commission Chairman Mac Buttram abstaining. Buttram said he
- Parents voice concern at Huntsville City Schools town hall following bad state report card
- > Feb 7, 8:50 AM: Superintendent Dr. Matt Akin revealed that chronic absenteeism was a major problem and told the crowd of roughly 150 parents, grandparents and community members that students can’t learn if they don’t show up.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WVTM-TV - Online 67%
- Huntsville Times, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%