- Birmingham charter school applicant, I3 Academy, holds hearing
- Jan 11, 6:11 AM: The founders of Birmingham’s next charter school hopeful, I3 Academy, heard from supporters and opponents at a meeting in Birmingham Thursday evening.
- Coalition forms to support children, parents seeking better schools
- > Jan 11, 5:59 AM: The AAA Coalition includes schools, children’s advocacy organizations, scholarship funds and a business organization. The group’s name is derived from the Alabama Accountability Act (AAA) which is the law put in place to
- Letter: In defense of AAA repeal
- > Dec 27, 7:17 AM: To suggest that education funding is where it needs to be for Alabama, and that we should be happy with recent tiny increases, is an insult to our great teachers and faculty. Anything that decreases our already deficient
- Montgomery's first charter school approved to open in 2019
- > Dec 21, 8:21 AM: After months of waiting, the Montgomery Education Foundation has been given the greenlight to open the county's first charter school system which will gradually take over four current Montgomery public schools.
- Montgomery gets approval to convert 4 schools to charters
- Dec 21, 7:07 AM: Four public schools in Montgomery are scheduled to become charter schools in an unprecedented step intended to improve learning in a troubled system.
- Civil rights lawyer hired in Sumter County lawsuit over charter school
- > Dec 17, 8:23 AM: Retired federal Judge U. W. Clemon was hired by the Sumter County Board of Education to work in some capacity in the ongoing lawsuit the board filed against the University of West Alabama over the use of the former
- Alabama’s virtual schools face lack of online access in rural areas
- Dec 10, 6:48 AM: Soaring enrollments, growing graduation classes and expansion into new buildings underscores the recent surge in popularity in online education in Alabama.
- Maxwell forms group in hopes of improving education options for military families
- > Dec 4, 7:15 AM: The newly formed public education-focused working group at Maxwell Air Force Base has a plate full of topics to tackle, including increasing attendance at their on-base school, a streamlined application process for
- Scholarship families defend Alabama Accountability Act
- > Nov 29, 6:30 AM: Some of the state’s largest school systems are urging legislators to repeal the 2013 Alabama Accountability Act (AAA), but supporters of the school choice law and families benefiting from the scholarship program it created
- Rachel Blackmon Bryars: Alabama board of education member says school choice is trying to ‘destroy a whole race of people’
- > Nov 13, 9:00 AM: Alabama board of education member Ella Bell, D-Montgomery, spoke out during a work session Thursday claiming that Alabama’s landmark tax credit scholarship program for low income families was part of an effort to “destroy
- #RedForEd: Teachers rally at Alabama Supreme Court hearing
- > Nov 8, 7:41 AM: The #RedForEd campaign to raise support for public schools and teachers made its way to the state on Wednesday as hundreds of Alabama educators wearing red t-shirts and windbreakers filed into the Alabama Supreme Court
- Clicking for classes: Local students opt for online schooling
- > Nov 6, 6:27 AM: The Opelika resident recently spoke with the Opelika-Auburn News about her family’s experience with the online public school. Jayden attended Beauregard Elementary School when he was younger, but his mother decided to try
- Alabama Accountability Act scholarship recipients up slightly from last year
- > Nov 1, 5:57 AM: The first quarterly report by Alabama's Scholarship Granting Organizations, which receive donations to grant scholarships through the Alabama Accountability Act, shows a slight rise in the number of recipients compared to
- Struggling Sumter schools face more questions as charter opens
- Oct 15, 7:18 AM:
- Three Alabama charter schools win $1 million each in federal education grants
- > Oct 10, 5:35 AM: Three Alabama public charter schools have received federal grants worth more than $1 million each when fully paid. The federal education grants were made available to help those wanting to open or replicate high-quality
- Here are the Alabama private schools enrolling the most students on tax-credit scholarships
- > Oct 9, 5:59 AM: Nearly 3,700 students enrolled in 147 private---and two public---schools using scholarships made available through the Alabama Accountability Act during the 2017-2018 school year, according to reports filed with the
- Opinion: The Alabama Education Association does not care about Alabama or education
- Sep 28, 5:03 AM: Alabama’s schools as a whole are not good. By any metric you want to use, the state’s schools in totality are near the bottom of the barrel.
- Education Association calls for end to state “failing schools” list
- > Sep 27, 5:38 AM: Each year, the State Department of Education is required by law to produce a list of the lowest 6 percent of schools in Alabama based on standardized assessments. Students attending schools on the list are then eligible to
- Op-Ed: In defense of the Alabama Accountability Act
- > Sep 24, 6:54 AM: The Star’s Sept. 13 editorial (“Average results again about Alabama education”) portrayed the Alabama Accountability Act as “middling legislation that’s produced tepid results” based on a University of Alabama report.
- Alabama Accountability Act: Does changing schools improve student achievement?
- > Sep 12, 4:37 AM: The Alabama Accountability Act was created to provide school choice to impoverished students, some of whom attend so-called “failing” schools. However, a recent independent report questions if switching schools improves
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WVTM-TV - Online 67%
- Huntsville Times, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%