- More than 5,000 students haven't showed up for school across Alabama
- > Nov 23, 8:24 AM: Alabama schools are facing an "instructional crisis," state superintendent Eric Mackey said as preliminary enrollment reports show more than 5,000 students have not logged on or showed up for class this year.
- Thousands of students haven't shown up for in-person or online school this year in Alabama
- > Nov 17, 7:49 AM: Education leaders across Alabama are now trying to account for more than 5,000 students who didn’t show up for in person or online school this year. The number is staggering and many believe the decline is COVID-19
- LGBTQ-affirming school receives charter
- Nov 6, 7:36 AM: It’s been an exciting week for one local LGBTQ-affirming school. The Magic City Acceptance Academy finally has the approval it’s been seeking for some time.
- Birmingham LGBTQ safe space charter school approved for 2021 opening
- Nov 5, 7:32 AM: The Alabama Public Charter School Commission on Wednesday approved Magic City Acceptance Academy’s charter application, after denying the application three times in recent months.
- Boeing grant prepares Decatur students for in-demand STEM careers
- Oct 28, 5:14 AM: A $50,000 grant from Boeing will help train Alabama students for jobs in the innovation economy.
- Alabama ‘the leading state with the highest success’ in providing internet to low-income students
- > Oct 21, 5:55 AM: The Alabama Broadband Connectivity for Students (ABC for Students) program has now provided internet access to more than 100,000 of the state’s students, according to officials at the Alabama Department of Economic and
- State leaders worry COVID school relief money won’t be spent
- Oct 7, 6:11 AM: Governor Kay Ivey and some state lawmakers are concerned that we may have to send millions back to Washington that could have gone towards COVID funding for schools.
- Alabama schools could lose $145 million in federal coronavirus aid if not spent by Dec. 30
- > Oct 5, 6:51 AM: The clock is ticking for Alabama’s K-12 schools to spend $170 million of the $411 million in federal coronavirus relief aid. To date, schools have spent about $26 million of that money, which must be spent by Dec. 30 or it
- Alabama school internet vouchers going unused, second round mailed
- Oct 2, 6:47 AM: A second round of vouchers for internet service for low-income families with children in school were mailed last week after the first round has gone mostly unused.
- Opinion: School commission needs to make a choice
- > Sep 24, 7:10 AM: For the third time, the State’s Charter School Commission denied the application of the Magic City Acceptance Academy. The denial wasn’t an outright no to the state’s gay community; it was by abstention, as some members of
- Proposed LGBTQ charter school scored high marks. Alabama rejected it anyway.
- Sep 22, 6:26 AM: The Alabama Public Charter School Commission rejected an LGBTQ-friendly school proposal, even though it has approved schools with lower scores on evaluations.
- Commentary: Options in education foster increased opportunities for students
- Sep 21, 7:14 AM: Every child deserves the chance to realize their dreams and to chart their future like I have been able to, and that requires quality educational choices.
- New charter opens its doors while Birmingham city schools stay remote
- > Sep 14, 6:27 AM: Opening a charter school in the middle of a worldwide pandemic wasn’t in the guidebook nor in the original plan for the school, two years in the making, and now the state’s largest charter is up and running with 420
- Teachers, students switch to online schools from traditional brick and mortar schools
- Aug 28, 5:56 AM: At the end of this past school year, after 9 years, Stephanie Machado gave up her brick and mortar classroom for an online classroom.
- Eddie Tyler responds to backlash over virtual school
- > Aug 14, 6:21 AM: Earlier this week the Baldwin County Public School Board announced that the county’s virtual school had reached capacity and would not be accepting more students. The announcement caused a stir on social media as angry
- LIFE Academy, set to open as charter on St. Jude campus, receives $1.5 million grant
- Aug 4, 6:38 AM: Montgomery's LIFE Academy, scheduled to open in fall 2021, was one of four charter schools to receive a $1.5 million grant in the latest round of awards from New Schools for Alabama.
- The cancellation of in-class schooling should lead to more school choice, not less
- > Aug 4, 5:59 AM: Each school system has these options at their disposal, and the local systems should do what they feel is best. Parents, however, are at the mercy of elected officials and school administrators who more often than not will
- Ahead of school year, Alabama to offer vouchers to families to install broadband
- > Aug 3, 6:08 AM: The money will go toward a program called Alabama Broadband Connectivity (ABC) for Students, which will provide vouchers to families of students who receive free or reduced-price meals in schools for the installation of
- Mobile charter school getting ready for classes amid pandemic
- > Jul 30, 7:23 AM: A Mobile public charter school is gearing up to reopen for the year during the COVID-19 pandemic. ACCEL Day and Evening Academy says its Alabama's first tuition free public charter school. Administrators at the academy say
- Alabama Accountability Act shortfall causes students to lose fall scholarships, strains private schools
- > Jul 29, 5:50 AM: Alabama private schools and their students face academic uncertainty as a shortfall in scholarship money provided through a state program, as well as a potential drop in enrollment attributed to the coronavirus pandemic.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WVTM-TV - Online 67%
- Huntsville Times, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%