- New cyber, engineering magnet school coming to Huntsville
- Jan 12, 6:51 AM: A new magnet school focusing on cyber technology and engineering will be established in Huntsville, Gov. Kay Ivey announced during her State of the State address.
- Appeals court tosses Birmingham BOE lawsuit that seeks to block charter school
- Jan 8, 6:57 AM: The Alabama Court of Civil Appeals on Friday ordered a judge to toss out the Birmingham Board of Education's lawsuit that seeks to block the opening of a charter school in the city.
- Mayor eyes charter school 'feeder system' as state prepares to accept applications
- Jan 3, 6:33 AM: A feeder system of seven or eight charter schools occupying former Montgomery Public Schools buildings and ranging from elementary school to high school.
- Tax credit scholarship program needs community's help
- > Dec 29, 6:57 AM: The Alabama Opportunity Scholarship provides low-income families with more schooling options for their children, and now officials are asking for the community's help. Tax credits for this program expire on Dec. 31, and
- County school system seeks to enhance virtual learning
- Dec 19, 7:18 AM: The Tuscaloosa County School System wants to strengthen the expectations for its virtual learning curriculum.
- 'We're in big time trouble:' Charter schools, loss of accreditation possible for MPS
- > Dec 8, 6:52 AM: Interim State Superintendent of Education Ed Richardson has begun accepting applications for charter schools in Montgomery and said he has invited accreditation representatives to Montgomery to provide a status report on
- City schools looking to delay school choice plan
- > Dec 6, 5:55 AM: On Tuesday, the Tuscaloosa City Board of Education held the first reading of delaying the implementation of an intradistrict school choice policy the upcoming school year. The plan, which was originally scheduled to take
- Schools of the future: Inside Alabama's virtual public school
- Oct 31, 6:08 AM: Instead of going to a school building each day, hundreds of students in Alabama are logging in to learn through an online public education system called Alabama Connections Academy.
- Univ. of West Alabama set to open new charter school
- Oct 27, 6:38 AM: The charter school affiliated with the University of West Alabama will open next fall with pre-kindergarten through eighth grades, but the school eventually plans offer high school programs as well.
- Parents shut out of Alabama's federal education plan, they say
- Oct 2, 6:56 AM: Parents of children with special needs are worried about a new federal plan for education in Alabama, and they say they are being shut out as the Oct. 12 deadline looms.
- Statewide virtual school enrolls 900 in inaugural year
- Sep 25, 5:11 AM: A statewide public virtual school for grades K-12 that’s partnering with Limestone County Schools has reached an enrollment of 900 after launching last month, school officials said.
- Black students talk about the achievement gap in Alabama schools
- Sep 20, 5:34 AM: They talk about how some teachers evaluated their educational success and character through the lens of racial biases and how the lack of opportunities for advance coursework can feed the achievement gap.
- Athens converting part of school to charter, ending inmate education
- Sep 18, 6:17 AM: Athens City Schools is converting part of its Athens Renaissance School to a conversion charter school, the first in Alabama, while it ends its program to educate young inmates.
- Charter schools or no charter schools? Roland Martin weighs in
- Aug 25, 4:40 AM: A gathering of the minds took place Thursday for change within Birmingham City Schools. Journalist Roland Martin was in town to lead the conversation and talk about School Choice.
- State denies application for charter school for jailed teens in 9-0 vote
- > Aug 22, 4:50 AM: Last month, the commission put its consideration of the charter school's application on hold after a review from the National Association of Charter School Authorizers found that the school's financial and education plans
- SPLC urges Alabama Public Charter School Commission to deny plan for jailed youth charter school
- > Aug 21, 5:23 AM: The Southern Poverty Law Center warned of "taking further appropriate action" against the Alabama Public Charter School Commission if it grants approval for an organization to run a statewide charter school operation for
- Proposed charter school for jailed teens could earn $10K per pupil in public funds
- > Aug 18, 6:00 AM: The new charter school would receive almost $10,000 per student from local, state and federal funds if its application is approved next week. That amounts to about $3.4 million in revenue for the first year.
- Virtual School provides flexibility in learning
- Aug 18, 5:51 AM: Chilton County Schools’ virtual school program allows students to complete their course online while remaining a student at their physical school.
- Nonprofit prepares to open state’s first charter school
- > Aug 17, 6:04 AM: That combination of nervousness and excitement has been a background theme for teachers and administrators as ACCEL prepares to open the doors of Alabama’s first tuition-free public charter school Aug. 21.
- Athens school board considers budget, charter school
- Aug 4, 6:49 AM: The board also approved a resolution that supports the conversion of part of the district's Athens Renaissance School to a public charter school that would be named Alabama Renaissance School.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WVTM-TV - Online 67%
- Huntsville Times, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%