- Black students talk about the achievement gap in Alabama schools
- Sep 20, 5:34 AM: They talk about how some teachers evaluated their educational success and character through the lens of racial biases and how the lack of opportunities for advance coursework can feed the achievement gap.
- Athens converting part of school to charter, ending inmate education
- Sep 18, 6:17 AM: Athens City Schools is converting part of its Athens Renaissance School to a conversion charter school, the first in Alabama, while it ends its program to educate young inmates.
- Charter schools or no charter schools? Roland Martin weighs in
- Aug 25, 4:40 AM: A gathering of the minds took place Thursday for change within Birmingham City Schools. Journalist Roland Martin was in town to lead the conversation and talk about School Choice.
- State denies application for charter school for jailed teens in 9-0 vote
- > Aug 22, 4:50 AM: Last month, the commission put its consideration of the charter school's application on hold after a review from the National Association of Charter School Authorizers found that the school's financial and education plans
- SPLC urges Alabama Public Charter School Commission to deny plan for jailed youth charter school
- > Aug 21, 5:23 AM: The Southern Poverty Law Center warned of "taking further appropriate action" against the Alabama Public Charter School Commission if it grants approval for an organization to run a statewide charter school operation for
- Proposed charter school for jailed teens could earn $10K per pupil in public funds
- > Aug 18, 6:00 AM: The new charter school would receive almost $10,000 per student from local, state and federal funds if its application is approved next week. That amounts to about $3.4 million in revenue for the first year.
- Virtual School provides flexibility in learning
- Aug 18, 5:51 AM: Chilton County Schools’ virtual school program allows students to complete their course online while remaining a student at their physical school.
- Nonprofit prepares to open state’s first charter school
- > Aug 17, 6:04 AM: That combination of nervousness and excitement has been a background theme for teachers and administrators as ACCEL prepares to open the doors of Alabama’s first tuition-free public charter school Aug. 21.
- Athens school board considers budget, charter school
- Aug 4, 6:49 AM: The board also approved a resolution that supports the conversion of part of the district's Athens Renaissance School to a public charter school that would be named Alabama Renaissance School.
- Sentance hopes MPS intervention will bring stability, school choice
- > Aug 3, 5:17 AM: The Alabama State Board of Education earlier this year gave Sentance the green light to intervene in Montgomery Public Schools to address academic and financial shortcomings of the district, and work began in earnest this
- DeKalb Co. Schools virtual school program is revamped for new school year
- > Aug 1, 6:48 AM: The program offers a new way for students to learn outside of the classroom. "We have math, science, English, and history teachers that are contracted, to make sure that whatever content area they need support in, we're
- Boy bullied for rare bone disease finds comfort in new online school
- > Jul 31, 6:15 AM: Now Noah is excited about school again since he can focus without bullies distracting him. Baker said she's seen positive changes in her son. Noah shares this advice to other kids dealing with their own struggles at
- Charter school granted conditional approval
- Jul 27, 6:42 AM: The Alabama Public Charter School Commission on Monday granted conditional approval to Teens' Path to Success charter school, pending submission of a more detailed budget.
- Charter school commission wants budget details from group focused on inmates
- Jul 25, 5:54 AM: Members of the Alabama Public Charter School Commission on Monday praised the concept of a school focused on young jail inmates around the state and agreed there is a need.
- Charter school touts benefits
- > Jul 20, 7:59 AM: Representatives with Teen's Path to Success, a nonprofit seeking to launch a statewide public charter school, promoted their program Wednesday at a public hearing held by the Alabama Public Charter School Commission.
- Prospective charter school appeals to state board
- Jul 20, 6:30 AM: The Teens' Path to Success charter school, an education provider for at-risk and incarcerated youth, presented its appeal Wednesday to the Alabama Public Charter School Commission.
- Online education programs offer virtual school alternatives
- > Jul 19, 6:45 AM: Earlier this year, Connections Academy, a free online school system available in a number of states across the country, was approved for usage in Alabama. Overseen by the Limestone County School District, Alabama
- Commission sets Athens public hearing on proposed charter school
- Jul 19, 5:19 AM: Members of the Alabama Public Charter School Commission will be in Athens on Wednesday to get public input on an application for a start-up statewide charter school.
- Statewide virtual school, partnering with Limestone County schools, launches in August
- > Jul 11, 6:48 AM: Jodie Dean looks forward to starting classes in August as the principal of a new school. This isn’t a traditional school she’ll be leading, but a statewide public virtual school for grades K-12 that’s partnering with the
- Examining the achievement gap between white and black students in Alabama
- > Jul 6, 6:46 AM: The authors also identified the 20 school districts in the country with the largest black-white achievement gap from tests taken in 2009 through 2013. Out of 12,200 school districts nationwide, three of Alabama's school
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WVTM-TV - Online 67%
- Huntsville Times, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%