- Charter school plan takes shape
- Mar 7, 7:16 AM: The University of West Alabama is moving ahead with the application process to form a university-affiliated charter school.
- Senators OK tax breaks to entice donations for K-12 scholarships
- Feb 24, 6:06 AM: Alabama senators on Thursday narrowly approved expanding tax breaks to entice more donations to a state program that provides scholarships for students to private K-12 schools.
- Lawmakers hear proposed changes to Alabama public charter school law
- > Feb 23, 6:53 AM: Lawmakers were given another week to review proposed tweaks to Alabama's charter school law in the House education policy committee today, after the bill's sponsor, Rep. Terri Collins, R-Decatur, said the state department of
- Accountability Act changes set off debate, questions
- Feb 16, 6:12 AM: A bill to modify the tax credits allowed in the Alabama Accountability Act was approved in committee Wednesday, but not before debate turned to the overall merits of the 2013 law.
- State to takeover nearly two dozen MPS schools
- Feb 10, 6:45 AM: The State Board of Education unanimously approved a Montgomery Public Schools intervention Thursday that will focus on 20 to 23 of the district’s 56 schools and last for approximately three to five years.
- MPS consents to intervention in letter to state
- > Feb 9, 7:04 AM: The 221-page letter, submitted within the last hour before the Feb. 7 deadline, was released to the public Wednesday by ALSDE. The letter outlines MPS' initiatives that are already in place to address some of the state's concerns in
- School choice rally draws more than 2,000 supporters to Montgomery
- > Jan 30, 7:36 AM: Huntsville resident Kayla Harris and her children traveled to Montgomery to attend the National School Choice Week rally Friday morning. They were just a few of more than 2,000 people from 50 schools across Alabama attending the
- Birmingham school board denies both charter applicants in unanimous vote
- Jan 25, 6:04 AM: The vote came after more than a dozen supporters of STAR Academy, one of the applicants, asked board members to approve the charter during a public hearing prior to the vote.
- White students in Huntsville can’t transfer out of ‘failing’ schools
- > Jan 20, 7:05 AM: The Alabama Accountability Act says that she can. The state law allows students to transfer out of 'failing' schools and into non-failing schools within the same school system. But McAfee's daughter won't be eligible for transfer
- Desegregation order could override failing schools’ students choice to transfer in Huntsville
- Jan 16, 5:55 AM: Two Huntsville City Schools are on a failing list released by the Alabama Education Department. According to Alabama law, students who attend a failing school could transfer to a passing one.
- Jefferson County educators criticizes failing schools list under Ala. Accountability Act
- > Jan 12, 6:52 AM: Wednesday, Jefferson County School Superintendent Craig Pouncey blasted the accountability act, calling it "a convergent attempt to create a voucher system in the state which would allow public funds to be redirected for the purpose
- Montgomery County school board hopeful about state help
- Jan 6, 6:55 AM: Some Montgomery County Board of Education members said today they are hopeful that a possible intervention by the state Department of Education could benefit students.
- State plans takeover of MPS after failing schools list grows
- Jan 5, 9:27 AM: The State Department of Education is preparing to take over Montgomery Public Schools after the district reportedly almost doubled its list of failing schools in 2016.
- Tuscaloosa City Schools considers expanding school choice
- Dec 30, 6:31 AM: Currently, two city schools in Tuscaloosa are covered under the school choice option. In January, the Tuscaloosa City Board of Education will hold a first reading on a broader school choice policy.
- Star Academy hopes to become AL’s first charter school
- Dec 15, 6:24 AM: The community gathered Wednesday night to inform parents that their kids could have a choice. Often times, students attend zoned schools no matter if that school is considered a failing one.
- UWA charter school panel could draft application
- Dec 13, 6:47 AM: The exploratory committee researching a possible K-12 school on the University of West Alabama campus is now focusing on the viability of a charter school option.
- UWA panel to study charter school option
- > Dec 12, 7:54 AM: An exploratory committee at the University of West Alabama tasked with researching the feasibility of a K-12 school on campus is expected to recommend creation of a group of university employees to further explore the option of a
- Charter schools inching toward reality in Alabama
- Nov 16, 7:48 AM: Though charter school creation is inching forward slowly, Sen. Del Marsh, R-Anniston, said he is not worried about the pace.
- City open to school system ‘alternatives;’ council forms new MPS committee
- Nov 16, 7:21 AM: Montgomery City Council has formed a new committee to examine the Montgomery Public Schools (MPS) system, and in the process, the city did not rule out the possibility of creating a new school system.
- No charter schools expected for Athens
- Oct 31, 6:08 AM: Athens City Schools on Tuesday will issue its first-ever request for proposals for charter schools in the city of 25,000 residents, but Superintendent Trey Holladay does not anticipate a response.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WVTM-TV - Online 67%
- Huntsville Times, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%