- Charter school commission wants budget details from group focused on inmates
- Jul 25, 5:54 AM: Members of the Alabama Public Charter School Commission on Monday praised the concept of a school focused on young jail inmates around the state and agreed there is a need.
- Charter school touts benefits
- Jul 20, 7:59 AM: Representatives with Teen's Path to Success, a nonprofit seeking to launch a statewide public charter school, promoted their program Wednesday at a public hearing held by the Alabama Public Charter School Commission.
- Prospective charter school appeals to state board
- Jul 20, 6:30 AM: The Teens' Path to Success charter school, an education provider for at-risk and incarcerated youth, presented its appeal Wednesday to the Alabama Public Charter School Commission.
- Online education programs offer virtual school alternatives
- > Jul 19, 6:45 AM: Earlier this year, Connections Academy, a free online school system available in a number of states across the country, was approved for usage in Alabama. Overseen by the Limestone County School District, Alabama Connections Academy
- Commission sets Athens public hearing on proposed charter school
- Jul 19, 5:19 AM: Members of the Alabama Public Charter School Commission will be in Athens on Wednesday to get public input on an application for a start-up statewide charter school.
- Statewide virtual school, partnering with Limestone County schools, launches in August
- > Jul 11, 6:48 AM: Jodie Dean looks forward to starting classes in August as the principal of a new school. This isn’t a traditional school she’ll be leading, but a statewide public virtual school for grades K-12 that’s partnering with the Limestone
- Examining the achievement gap between white and black students in Alabama
- > Jul 6, 6:46 AM: The authors also identified the 20 school districts in the country with the largest black-white achievement gap from tests taken in 2009 through 2013. Out of 12,200 school districts nationwide, three of Alabama's school districts,
- Birmingham BOE sues to block charter school opening
- Jun 30, 5:32 AM: According to its lawsuit filed earlier this month against the Alabama Public Charter School Commission, the board of education claims the commission improperly overruled its decision to deny a charter to STAR Academy.
- Alabama commission approves two new public charter schools
- Jun 28, 5:53 AM: Two more public charter schools could open their doors in the fall of 2018, after the Alabama Public Charter School Commission fully approved one application, and conditionally approved a second one in Montgomery on Tuesday.
- Sumter Academy shuts down following dwindling enrollment
- > Jun 22, 6:58 AM: The closure of the school comes at the same time the University of West Alabama is in the process of forming a university-affiliated charter school over the next couple of years. Nettles believes the charter school was a significant
- Alabama School Superintendents Told To Refuse School Choice Forms
- Jun 16, 6:29 AM: While school’s out for summer, some low-income parents are apparently being stonewalled by school officials, preventing them from sending their children to better schools, as Alabama law allows.
- Task force looking for potential issues with virtual schools
- > Jun 12, 6:50 AM: State Superintendent Michael Sentance says he’s heard “dribs and drabs” of concern about virtual schools in the state, and has appointed a three-person task force to look at potential issues within the young
- Alabama’s first charter school filling student, staff rosters
- > Jun 6, 6:50 AM: As the state's first tuition-free charter school, the ACCEL Day and Evening Academy, is starting with a blank page. But the organization behind the school, the Mobile Area Education Foundation, has been working to fill in the
- Officials: Virtual school checks needed
- Jun 1, 5:28 AM: Last week, State Superintendent Michael Sentance announced the formation of a three-person committee to look into the implications of virtual school state law.
- No charter school for Athens City Schools
- May 30, 6:00 AM: Athens City Schools will not authorize a charter school after board members did not have enough votes Thursday to approve an application from Teens' Path to Success.
- Education Groups Block Legislation to Fortify School Choice in Alabama
- > May 26, 5:28 AM: In 2013, Alabama passed a school choice plan called the Alabama Accountability Act, which allows low-income students to apply for scholarships to attend better schools, including private schools. As Senate President Pro Tem Del
- Legislature rejects new tax credits for Alabama Accountability Act
- May 22, 5:06 AM: A bill that would have allowed more tax credit options for contributors to private school scholarships failed today in the Alabama House of Representatives.
- Enrollment to new virtual school open
- May 19, 6:34 AM: Enrollment is now open to students in grades K-12 who are interested in taking classes through Alabama Connections Academy, a statewide public virtual school authorized by Limestone County Schools.
- Athens school board gets first charter school proposal
- May 17, 6:30 AM: Athens City Schools has received its first proposal to consider for a charter school, and organizers presented the proposal to the Athens school board Tuesday night.
- Alabama not attracting charter schools, numbers show
- May 16, 5:06 AM: Two years after lawmakers passed a law allowing public charter schools to open in Alabama, it doesn't appear a flood of charters will crowd the public school landscape any time soon.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WVTM-TV - Online 67%
- Huntsville Times, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%