- Education Groups Block Legislation to Fortify School Choice in Alabama
- > May 26, 5:28 AM: In 2013, Alabama passed a school choice plan called the Alabama Accountability Act, which allows low-income students to apply for scholarships to attend better schools, including private schools. As Senate President Pro Tem Del
- Legislature rejects new tax credits for Alabama Accountability Act
- May 22, 5:06 AM: A bill that would have allowed more tax credit options for contributors to private school scholarships failed today in the Alabama House of Representatives.
- Enrollment to new virtual school open
- May 19, 6:34 AM: Enrollment is now open to students in grades K-12 who are interested in taking classes through Alabama Connections Academy, a statewide public virtual school authorized by Limestone County Schools.
- Athens school board gets first charter school proposal
- May 17, 6:30 AM: Athens City Schools has received its first proposal to consider for a charter school, and organizers presented the proposal to the Athens school board Tuesday night.
- Alabama not attracting charter schools, numbers show
- May 16, 5:06 AM: Two years after lawmakers passed a law allowing public charter schools to open in Alabama, it doesn't appear a flood of charters will crowd the public school landscape any time soon.
- Thousands of scholarships for Alabama children rest on House action
- > May 9, 7:02 AM: Last year, Donald Trump made school choice a hot button issue while rallying voters on the campaign trail. As a candidate, he promised he would work to enact a $20 billion dollar school choice program. Now he is attempting to
- Sumter County charter school effort progressing
- May 9, 5:05 AM: Another major step has been taken in an effort to open a charter school in Sumter County, Alabama. The University of West Alabama met the May 1st deadline of turning in paperwork for the proposal.
- Collins surprised by defeat of charter school bill
- > May 8, 5:18 AM: State Rep. Terri Collins says she was baffled last week by the lack of support from Republicans and Democrats for her bill to change current charter school laws. Her bill would have left more local funding — thousands of dollars,
- Birmingham’s First Charter School to Focus on Character and Academics
- May 4, 6:06 AM: This week the Alabama Charter School Commission overturned the Birmingham Board of Education’s decision to deny New Rising Star’s application for a charter school.
- Limestone nearing contract for statewide online school
- May 3, 6:24 AM: Karen Duquette, executive director for state relations with Connections Education, said the company will partner with Limestone County Schools to offer Alabama Connections Academy.
- Alabama charter school commission overturns Birmingham charter denial
- May 3, 5:37 AM: The Alabama Public Charter School Commission made history Tuesday by overturning the Birmingham board of education's denial of a charter school operator's application.
- Charter school change legislation advances
- > Apr 21, 6:06 AM: Rep. Terri Collins, R-Decatur, said legislation she is sponsoring will clarify and make requested changes to the state’s charter school law. Opponents of the bill said it will make it easier for a state commission to override local
- Singled out as worst on school choice, Mobile invites U.S. education secretary for visit
- Mar 31, 7:27 AM: After U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos called out Mobile County Schools for earning a failing grade on school choice, Mobile Superintendent Martha Peek did what any good southerner would: She invited DeVos to visit.
- Charter school plan takes shape
- Mar 7, 7:16 AM: The University of West Alabama is moving ahead with the application process to form a university-affiliated charter school.
- Senators OK tax breaks to entice donations for K-12 scholarships
- Feb 24, 6:06 AM: Alabama senators on Thursday narrowly approved expanding tax breaks to entice more donations to a state program that provides scholarships for students to private K-12 schools.
- Lawmakers hear proposed changes to Alabama public charter school law
- > Feb 23, 6:53 AM: Lawmakers were given another week to review proposed tweaks to Alabama's charter school law in the House education policy committee today, after the bill's sponsor, Rep. Terri Collins, R-Decatur, said the state department of
- Accountability Act changes set off debate, questions
- Feb 16, 6:12 AM: A bill to modify the tax credits allowed in the Alabama Accountability Act was approved in committee Wednesday, but not before debate turned to the overall merits of the 2013 law.
- State to takeover nearly two dozen MPS schools
- Feb 10, 6:45 AM: The State Board of Education unanimously approved a Montgomery Public Schools intervention Thursday that will focus on 20 to 23 of the district’s 56 schools and last for approximately three to five years.
- MPS consents to intervention in letter to state
- > Feb 9, 7:04 AM: The 221-page letter, submitted within the last hour before the Feb. 7 deadline, was released to the public Wednesday by ALSDE. The letter outlines MPS' initiatives that are already in place to address some of the state's concerns in
- School choice rally draws more than 2,000 supporters to Montgomery
- > Jan 30, 7:36 AM: Huntsville resident Kayla Harris and her children traveled to Montgomery to attend the National School Choice Week rally Friday morning. They were just a few of more than 2,000 people from 50 schools across Alabama attending the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WVTM-TV - Online 67%
- Huntsville Times, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%