- Alabama Accountability Act: Does changing schools improve student achievement?
- > Sep 12, 4:37 AM: The Alabama Accountability Act was created to provide school choice to impoverished students, some of whom attend so-called “failing” schools. However, a recent independent report questions if switching schools improves
- LEAD Academy's future uncertain, awaiting decision on opening
- Aug 31, 6:29 AM: LEAD Academy would have been Montgomery's first charter school; that was until the Alabama Education Association filed a lawsuit against the school, postponing it's opening.
- Dual school system, need for better option led to Sumter County's charter school
- > Aug 29, 7:21 AM: Though the general reaction was somewhere between 'it's about time' and 'what a great story of hope,' the question of how a public charter school with a commitment to racial diversity came to be in a historically
- Concern that IRS rule may hurt private school scholarships
- Aug 29, 5:37 AM: Advocates of a state-supported private school scholarship program are concerned that donations could drop under proposed new Internal Revenue Service rules by reducing the tax break that donors get.
- Military families live apart because of under-performing schools, Maxwell general says
- > Aug 22, 5:18 AM: More than 56 percent of airmen in last year's Air War College came to Montgomery without their families, said Cotton, the commander of Air University at Maxwell Air Base. Schools were the No. 1 reason given in surveys to
- Charter schools are keeping promises
- > Aug 20, 7:02 AM: Regardless of the specifics, Alabamians should be thankful for the good that charter schools and other innovative education options have created for students across the country. We must not, however, neglect to learn from
- New charter school at UWA brings integration
- > Aug 15, 5:51 AM: Black students and white students were learning side-by-side in integrated public school classrooms in the West Alabama county. More than half of the school’s 300-plus students are black, while just under half are white.
- Rural Alabama charter opens as first integrated school in Sumter County
- > Aug 14, 4:56 AM: At 7:50 on Monday morning, when school started at the University Charter School in Livingston, in west Alabama's Sumter County, students in kindergarten through eighth grade began a new era, hardly aware of the history
- Online public school gives students an alternative to the classroom
- > Aug 8, 6:33 AM: Alexis Ethridge , McLin’s daughter, is an upcoming second grader who utilizes the online program. Due to health complications, Alexis has to commute to Montgomery from Dothan roughly two to three times a month to visit her
- Opinion: Every time the media talks about the Alabama Accountability Act, they make the argument to expand the program
- > Aug 8, 5:31 AM: Anything that lets a poor kid leave a public school, it limits the power of the education bureaucrats and elected officials that cater to them. Any school choice or voucher program will be resisted for this reason. The
- Editorial: Military families should have exemption from public school tuition
- > Aug 7, 4:42 AM: The Enterprise School Board’s decision to begin charging tuition to the families of students who attend Enterprise schools but live outside the district has caused a kerfuffle among some families, particularly military
- Reality vs. intent: Alabama Accountability Act serves mostly students from nonfailing schools
- > Aug 6, 5:02 AM: Of the 4,132 children who received a scholarship in 2016 through the accountability act (the most recent data available), 983 were zoned to attend one of the state’s 76 failing schools, a rate of about 24 percent.
- More students in AL opting for online public school
- > Aug 3, 6:24 AM: An increasing number of students in Alabama are choosing not to go back to a traditional classroom this fall. Instead they're opting to do school online. This time last year, 900 students were enrolled in Connections
- One student vouches for Virtual School following informational meeting
- Aug 1, 6:04 AM: But online school doesn't come without stipulations. Although it is convenient, the courses are as challenging online as they would be in person.
- Virtual school programs see enrollment increase
- > Jul 30, 5:03 AM: Every child learns differently and for some, it means taking them out a brick and mortar school and trying something new. The online school option is becoming more popular and virtual programs across the state of Alabama
- Virtual school doubles in size, offers more options
- Jul 25, 5:54 AM: In just one year, Alabama Connections Learning Academy — a tuition-free, accredited K-12 public virtual school based in Limestone County — has nearly doubled its enrollment numbers.
- Athens Renaissance leads in school choice
- > Jul 20, 4:27 AM: Athens Renaissance School will enter its third year as an accredited K-12 blended and virtual education program this fall, providing a growing number of children from throughout North Alabama a customized, student-oriented
- High school students can get ahead with dual enrollment
- > Jul 19, 6:55 AM: Students who wish to get a head start on college or workforce training have an array of dual enrollment options at local community colleges and four-year institutions, typically beginning in their sophomore years.
- With school board president loss, voters cast ballots for change
Combined with the two who didn’t seek re-election, the school board is guaranteed to lose at least 40 combined years of MPS school board experience at the hands of a voter base clamoring for any semblance of change in >
Jul 18, 6:09 AM:
- Judge clears way for Alabama's second charter school to open in August
- > Jul 16, 6:27 AM: A judge on Friday cleared the way for the Aug. 13 opening of the University of West Alabama's public charter school. University Charter School will be the second public charter school to open in Alabama since 2015 when the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WVTM-TV - Online 67%
- Huntsville Times, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%