- Alabama high schools begin declaring seniors are now graduates
- Apr 2, 6:17 AM: As Alabama schools begin announcing their plans for teaching to resume—albeit from a distance—high school seniors on track to graduate got some good news.
- Alabama K-12 schools are closed. Now what?
- > Mar 30, 6:43 AM: Alabama parents and teachers alike were dealt a new hand when state education officials announced Thursday that 1,400 K-12 public school buildings would not reopen this year due to continued health and safety concerns
- Schooling online in Alabama during a worldwide pandemic
- Mar 23, 7:17 AM: With Alabama’s K-12 schools closed through at least April 5, school officials across the state are scrambling for ways to keep students learning.
- Coronavirus and schools: Parents shouldn't worry, Alabama committed to graduation, superintendent says
- > Mar 20, 6:05 AM: State superintendent Eric Mackey met with his 11-person task force for the first time Thursday, charged with guiding education decisions for the state amid the increase of confirmed COVID-19 cases throughout Alabama.
- MPS approves LIFE Academy charter, set to open fall 2021
- Mar 11, 6:19 AM: The presence of charter schools in Montgomery is set to expand as LIFE Academy gained the final approval necessary to open on the former St. Jude Campus.
- Catholic schools say they’re harmed by decline in scholarship granting organizations
- > Mar 6, 10:05 AM: In 2019, not enough Alabamians specified that their income tax be allotted to the Scholarship Granting Organizations that help Alabama students assigned by the state to Alabama’s poorest-performing schools. That shortfall
- How Alabama got an elected state school board
- Feb 25, 9:43 AM: Alabama voters have a big decision to make on March 3. Should we continue to elect our state school board members or should we trust the Governor to make those appointments for us?
- Can appointed state school board raise Alabama’s national standing in education?
- > Feb 21, 7:05 AM: Alabama voters will decide March 3 whether to move from an elected state school board to one appointed by the Governor. A yes vote on Amendment One sends the elected state school board home. A no vote keeps the board in
- Access to Montgomery's magnets, charters could increase for military families
- Feb 12, 9:28 AM: Legislators will hear about two bills aimed at increasing the number of educational options afforded to military families assigned to Alabama.
- New report offers advice for fixing state’s charter school issues
- Feb 6, 9:19 AM: Local school boards should have more authority in approving proposed charter schools and parents of students attending the charters should have a larger role on the schools’ governing boards.
- Opinion | Alabama Charter School Commission finally did its job
- > Feb 5, 8:09 AM: On Monday, the Commission voted to revoke the charter for Woodland Prep, the beleaguered charter school in Washington County, and it took steps to force LEAD Academy, the steadily failing charter in Montgomery, to provide
- Alabama looks to shut down controversial charter school before it opens
- > Feb 4, 6:31 AM: State officials for the first time voted to consider revoking a public charter school’s right to operate in Alabama, which could bring an end to a controversial school in south Alabama before it ever opens.
- Birmingham School Board denies charter school applications
- Jan 29, 6:46 AM: Birmingham School Board members voted to reject two charter school applications. It happened during a late special called meeting Tuesday night.
- MPS approves charter application for St. Jude campus
- Jan 15, 8:02 AM: LIFE would join LEAD Academy as startup charters in Montgomery. Three traditional Montgomery public schools are also slated to be converted to charters, starting with Davis Elementary in fall 2020.
- Opinion: Empowering every child in Alabama to succeed in school
- > Jan 14, 6:54 AM: In fact, the type of school environment where a child spends more than six hours a day can be life-changing. And, if children benefit from environments that tap into their strengths -- while nurturing and invigorating them
- Community expresses support for new proposed charter school
- Jan 10, 9:13 AM: Montgomery Public Schools held a public hearing Thursday night to discuss a proposal by LIFE Academy to operate a start-up charter school in Montgomery.
- Opinion | Only one kind of ‘school choice’ matters
- > Jan 8, 8:43 AM: In reality, educational success is determined by resources. Which is why the folks who can afford it dump 30 times as much money into their school systems as the poorest districts that lack the resources. And that’s why
- First LGBTQ-focused charter school could open in Birmingham
- > Jan 8, 8:12 AM: Two more charter schools are hoping to open in Birmingham, but they’ll need approval from the Birmingham school board. The community got a chance to learn about the schools at a hearing Tuesday at the Lincoln Professional
- From last place in math to more charter schools, the top Alabama education stories in 2019
- > Dec 30, 8:31 AM: All signs point to more charter schools opening in Alabama. The number of public charter schools doubled in Alabama, from two to four, when school opened in August. More charter schools are scheduled to open in 2021,
- Civics program helps students become 'Super Citizens'
- Dec 18, 9:23 AM: Students at Elkmont Elementary School studied what it takes to be a "Super Citizen" recently thanks to a traveling program focused on civics, financial literacy and recognizing community heroes.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WVTM-TV - Online 67%
- Huntsville Times, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%