- Opinion: STEM helps narrow the opportunity gap
- > Oct 23, 6:26 AM: One of the prevalent arguments for increasing STEM learning in Massachusetts schools is to ensure that we have the educated workforce needed to compete in an increasingly high-tech 21st-century economy. But another advantage to
- Partnership between car dealership and community college prepares students for auto tech jobs
- Oct 23, 5:14 AM: A partnership between a local car dealership and a community college is addressing an issue with which a number of local industries are struggling: a shortage of workers trained for skilled-trade jobs.
- Apprenticeships give students opportunity
- Oct 19, 6:52 AM: On Thursday, representatives from the U.S. Department of Labor and Nebraska Department of Labor signed an agreement with the school district for the Youth Intermediary Registered Apprenticeship Program.
- Opinion: Solving the skills gap: Tennessee’s evolution puts students on right path
- Oct 19, 5:53 AM: More than 3 million students graduated from high schools across our country this spring, and I can’t help but wonder what their futures will hold.
- Not on the college path
- Oct 18, 7:11 AM: Meet four Johnson County students jumping directly into their careers after graduation. They are challenging themselves and taking a less-popular pathway, one they feel is more suited for success.
- ‘Need is greater than supply’: Why technical education is booming in Greater Lansing
- > Oct 18, 6:05 AM: The Institute of Agricultural Technology has 10 partnerships with community colleges across Michigan, providing students the option to get both an industry-recognized certificate from MSU and an associate’s degree from a local
- Opinion: Community colleges answer talent shortage
- > Oct 15, 5:37 AM: Across southeast Michigan, we hear this from employers who are counting on schools to help train not just their future workforces, but the skilled employees they hope to hire right away. It is clear the most important fuel needed
- My View: Technical training is the key to success
- > Oct 11, 7:18 AM: Our community is at a critical point, one that inspires us to meet work force needs by bridging the skills gap, and to offer students access to greater opportunity. By way of increased state funding and industry partnerships, CTE
- Apprenticeships rebuild excitement for manufacturing careers, close skills gap: Pathways to Prosperi
- Oct 9, 5:49 AM: A shortage of skilled workers in Northeast Ohio may have just as much to do with an image problem for manufacturing as a lack of training for potential employees.
- Pre-apprenticeship ‘fills a gap’ in Longview students’ career options
- > Oct 9, 5:26 AM: This year, about 30 Longview high-school students enrolled in the district’s new pre-apprenticeship program that will prepare them for a career in the trades, much like traditional curriculum prepares students for
- Commentary: Building a cradle-to-career education system
- > Oct 1, 7:17 AM: Working with several partners and stakeholders, the Agency of Education is contributing significantly to Gov. Phil Scott’s vision of a cradle-to-career education system in Vermont. Recent trends show that Vermont’s economy is
- Op-ed: Work-based learning is all about opportunity
- > Sep 28, 6:16 AM: The state’s new Office of Work-Based Learning and Apprenticeship is a viable solution to fill the much-needed pipelines in most sectors. These targeted programs, most of which offer on-the-job-training opportunities while receiving
- Report: Iowa falling short of workforce education goals, especially among Hispanics, blacks
- > Sep 20, 6:15 AM: The education gap is particularly bad for poor and minority workers. If Iowa fails to meet that goal, it will be difficult for the state to fill future jobs, more than two-thirds of which are expected to require more than a high
- Commentary: Tax Incentives Needed To Close Workplace Skills Gap
- Sep 11, 7:23 AM: The USA Workforce Tax Credit Act is timely and urgent. It should be among the measures adopted before the year concludes.
- AEP, state take steps to prepare high-school students for future in workforce
- Jul 25, 6:36 AM: American Electric Power has joined with the state of Ohio to create a college- and career-readiness program for high schoolers.
- Apprenticeship success in Chicago provides national model
- Jul 18, 6:46 AM: Despite critiques of President Trump’s apprenticeship task force, programs that blend work and school are thriving in cities where opportunities seem stagnant for youth in poorer communities.