- Commentary: Giving America An Effective Workforce
- Mar 22, 7:50 AM: Offering vocational training as a recognized and respected alternative career route will create a workforce with the skills the economy will increasingly need, many of which colleges and universities simply cannot deliver.
- Commentary: Bold education reforms needed to move Mass. forward
- > Mar 18, 6:55 AM: Reforms should encourage an emphasis on creating career pathways in the schools and promote both college and career routes. Currently, high school success rates are measured heavily by college admissions, leading to curricula that
- New data about student “aptitudes” could help fill worker skills gap
- Mar 15, 7:46 AM: A mismatch between students’ innate aptitudes and their career interests may be contributing to worker shortages in high-demand, well-paying, fields.
- Bill would allow teens to use state money to pay for workforce training
- Mar 15, 6:47 AM: A bill moving through the state Legislature would allow high school students to use state money to pay for workforce training programs like apprenticeships.
- Colorado Springs area high school students to build new homes under expansion of HBA trades program
- Mar 8, 8:04 AM: The program, which leads to Department of Labor certification in general construction or electrical, plumbing and carpentry, is offered in 10 high schools in the Pikes Peak region, reaching more than 450 students.
- Schools participate in pathway pilot program
- > Feb 15, 6:48 AM: Twenty Mississippi high school districts and community colleges have agreed to participate in a new pilot program that will use customized curriculum developed from a successful private coding academy to “fast track” creation of
- Opinion: Mich. kids need career prep
- > Feb 11, 7:31 AM: Our K-12 education needs a shift in mindset, one that focuses not on getting students into college but preparing them for a successful career, whether that career will require a four-year degree or technical training. This is
- Commentary: The lessons we learned from the phased-out program PTECH
- > Feb 1, 8:31 AM: The idea seemed so simple: connecting students with career opportunities to bridge the gap between high school and the world of work. For some students, that gap doesn’t exist. For others, it is a chasm impossible to
- Coalition aims to grow internships, apprenticeships
A coalition of educators and employers has launched an initiative to increase work-based learning opportunities for high school juniors and seniors.
Jan 31, 8:26 AM:
- CCSD tackling barriers to students entering apprenticeship programs
- Jan 31, 8:25 AM: With an estimated 27 percent of Nevada's high school graduates heading to college, education leaders in Clark County are coming together to offer opportunities for those who aren't seeking a degree.
- In Tampa, DeSantis pushes to bolster workforce education
- > Jan 31, 8:16 AM: Gov. Ron DeSantis, citing a need to have a nimble workforce that meets market demands, unveiled the first part of his proposed education spending plan on Wednesday, with it geared toward expanding vocational and technical training
- New Apprenticeship 2020 program lets Chicago students skip 4-year degree
- > Jan 30, 8:28 AM: City officials and business leaders on Tuesday announced a new apprenticeship program designed to create a pipeline for Chicago students to enter the corporate world. The initiative, Apprenticeship 2020, plans to build on a
- Opinion: It’s time to rethink high school education
- > Jan 30, 7:18 AM: Gov. Chris Sununu recently announced the state’s intention to develop New Hampshire Career Academies, a progressive idea to provide high school students a pathway to industry certification, an associate’s degree and a job
- Opinion: Education beyond high school is win-win for students, economy
- > Jan 22, 8:24 AM: For our students to be ready for these jobs, many need to continue their education after high school and complete a credential, such as a degree, apprenticeship or certificate in a specific industry. In the near future, about
- Column: Workforce shortage calls for creative recruitment
- > Jan 15, 7:09 AM: Certain positions are very difficult to find candidates for. This is true in many industries and may include positions at all levels of experience and includes technical positions. In fact, the State of South Dakota has identified
- Sioux Falls schools consider test to show students are ready for workforce
The Sioux Falls School District is looking to ensure more students graduate ready to enter college or the workforce, and adding another test could be part of the solution.
Jan 15, 7:04 AM:
- The Cybersecurity 202: High schoolers must start training for security jobs to fill the talent gap,
- > Jan 11, 8:42 AM: A pair of Pennsylvania computer science professors will come to Washington next week with a message for the cybersecurity community: More high schoolers need to start learning advanced cybersecurity skills if the nation has any
- Bill aims to extend Wyoming’s Hathaway Scholarship to tech ed students
- > Jan 10, 6:18 AM: A bill headed to the Senate floor this week with widespread support from education, industry and economic development groups, however, could help address this problem by making those pursuing career or technical education eligible
- HP executive urges education reform — but careful reform
- Jan 8, 7:48 AM: The world’s next industrial revolution presents a “huge opportunity” for Idaho, if the state can modify its school system to match it.