- Kids are ‘hostages to adult interests’ in school openings, says education advocate (CER in the news)
- Feb 25, 9:16 AM: Parents around the nation are frustrated as schools continue to remain closed, despite guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention instructing schools how to reopen safely.
- Teachers union’s drive-in protest draws hundreds opposed to MCPS reopening plan
- > Feb 25, 8:49 AM: Hundreds attended car rally on Tuesday near Montgomery County Public Schools' headquarter in Rockville to protest the school system's reopening plan. About 700 students are scheduled to return to in-person learning on March
- Salt Lake teachers, students rally against ‘bullying’ from Utah Legislature
- Feb 25, 6:48 AM: Jennifer Woznick, a fifth grade teacher at Meadowlark Elementary School, described to a cheering crowd of other teachers, students and parents what she called examples of recent “bullying” from Utah lawmakers.
- #Blackout4Ed: Teachers across Indiana wear black to protest school choice bills
- Feb 25, 6:21 AM: Educators throughout the state of Indiana wore the color black as part of the #Blackout4Ed effort to protest school choice bills and advocate for teacher vaccine priority on Wednesday.
- Opinion: Teachers’ Unions Make the Case for School Choice
- > Feb 24, 9:31 AM: Families have always gotten the short end of the stick on K–12 education. But it’s more obvious now than ever, and families are figuring out they’re getting a bad deal. The only way that we’re ever going to fix that uneven power
- As Newark schools prepare to reopen, teachers union wants COVID-19 testing for students
- Feb 24, 8:06 AM: Testing students for the coronavirus is poised to become the latest flashpoint as Newark prepares to reopen classrooms this spring.
- Teachers union hits back at opening Massachusetts classrooms full-time by spring
- > Feb 24, 8:02 AM: The state’s top teachers union blasted Gov. Charlie Baker and state education officials for announcing “it’s time” to phase out virtual and hybrid learning and return students to classrooms full-time five days a week by the
- S.F. school board approves plan with labor unions to reopen classrooms
- Feb 24, 8:00 AM: San Francisco school officials unanimously approved a health and safety agreement with labor unions allowing the reopening of schools before the end of the academic year.
- Seattle Public Schools delay return to in-person learning amid union negotiations
- Feb 23, 8:10 AM: Seattle Public Schools announced Monday that it was delaying a return to in-person learning until at least March 8 because of a snag in reaching an agreement with the teachers' union.
- Survey: NM teachers want students vaccinated before returning to in-person learning
- > Feb 23, 7:57 AM: A lot of teachers in New Mexico don’t want to go back to the classroom until they’ve been vaccinated, but now a new teacher survey shows a lot of them don’t want to come back until every student has had the
- ‘Let’s do it’: Union president insists teachers want to return, need more aid
- > Feb 22, 9:24 AM: The head of the American Federation of Teachers dismissed as a “myth” the idea that teachers don’t want to reopen schools, but she warned that reopening will take more taxpayer money — putting an awkward confrontation with unions
- No quick path to reopening L.A. Unified is emerging as school year slips away
- > Feb 22, 8:55 AM: The union’s posture — similar to that of school employee unions in San Francisco and of the California Teachers Assn. — comes as union leaders in the nation’s second-largest school district continue protracted negotiations with
- Editorial: Politics, not science, drives school reopening demands
- Feb 22, 8:30 AM: California public school parents have become understandably exasperated with the months of squabbling between teacher unions, county officials, the state Legislature and Gov. Gavin Newsom over school reopenings.
- Indiana Senate Backs Yearly Hurdle on Teacher Union Dues
- Feb 22, 7:32 AM: Indiana teachers would have to renew requests every year for automatic paycheck deduction of union dues under a bill that’s been approved by the state Senate.
- CCS teachers say it’s time to stop charter and private school transportation
- Feb 19, 7:45 AM: While Columbus City Schools struggles to find ways to bring its middle and high school students back to the classroom, its teachers say it’s time to stop bussing for charter and private schools kids.
- National Education Association President explains what’s needed for schools to reopen
- > Feb 18, 9:49 AM: CDC guidelines needed to reopen schools: "We absolutely need Congress to act so that we can provide for what they need. The question is not about whether this country has the wealth. It's a question about whether our country has
- Connecticut’s Largest Teachers Union Calls On The State to Vaccinate Educators Now
- > Feb 18, 7:08 AM: Guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that states include teachers in their Phase 1B vaccination distribution. At least 28 states have made educators eligible to receive the COVID-19
- Poll: Teachers who are back in the classroom are comfortable with it
- Feb 17, 8:35 AM: Most teachers and school staff who are back in the classroom feel comfortable with the return to in-person classes, according to recent polling from the American Federation of Teachers.
- Editorial: Lori Lightfoot talks truth on teacher-union entitlement
- Feb 17, 8:19 AM: Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot is a perfect progressive — who just let loose on the Chicago Teachers Union over its resistance to reopening schools and other issues.
- Opinion: Joe Biden Opens the Schools, Sort Of
- Feb 15, 10:34 AM: Biden bows to teachers unions in debate over reopening schools