- State judge temporarily blocks Texas from taking over Houston school district
- Jan 9, 7:11 AM: Texas will not be able to seize power of Houston ISD's school board until the state judge issues a final ruling on the lawsuit challenging the takeover.
- Harrisburg schools progress report: State takeover brings changes, but much remains to be done
- > Jan 6, 6:56 AM: A semester later, Samuels, Acting Superintendent Chris Celmer and many of their supporters argue it’s a promise that’s been largely fulfilled. They point to achievements such as the creation of an accurate budget, a districtwide
- HISD at a crossroads: Looming state takeover presents rare opportunity [Editorial]
- > Dec 26, 7:25 AM: Now, as the Texas Education Agency prepares to appoint a board of managers to replace HISD’s elected trustees, Doyle-Madrid hopes crisis will turn into opportunity — and that the state intervention will serve as a wake-up call for
- Now in control of Providence schools, R.I. education commissioner learns running is district is no e
- > Dec 10, 7:49 AM: Shortly after Rhode Island Education Commissioner Angélica Infante-Green formally took control of the Providence school system on Nov. 1, she stopped by one of the district’s struggling middle schools to check in on students and
- Newark on Track to Regain Full Control of Its Schools Early in 2020
- Dec 10, 7:08 AM: Newark is poised to regain full control of its schools early next year, formally ending a decades-long state takeover, state officials said this week.
- State board session studies ideas for LRSD
- > Dec 5, 6:52 AM: Arkansas Board of Education members explored ideas Wednesday regarding the future of the state-controlled Little Rock School District, including one to convert the district's existing Community Advisory Board into "a transition"
- Opinion: State takeover hurt Detroit’s public schools
- Dec 3, 6:21 AM: Skeptics have argued it for years, and it seems they’re right — states shouldn’t manage school districts.
- Texas Is Taking Over Houston’s Schools, Prompting Charges of Racism
- > Dec 2, 9:20 AM: Though the Texas Legislature passed the law in 2015, it is only now being put to its biggest test, in Houston. The state takeover in Houston has put Mr. Dutton’s political career at risk and caused upheaval and uncertainty in one
- Tensions explode at HISD takeover meeting
- Nov 22, 6:39 AM: Parents, teachers and some Houston ISD school board members exchanged verbal fireworks over a looming state takeover of the district during a town hall at Chavez High School Thursday evening.
- Houston ISD has failed its students for too long, and the law calls for a state takeover
- Nov 20, 7:03 AM: We understand why there would be consternation from some parents and teachers about the impending state takeover of Houston schools.
- HISD teachers union might join lawsuit to stop state takeover of school board
- Nov 18, 7:11 AM: Houston ISD’s largest teachers union is considering whether to join a lawsuit filed by the district’s school board that aims to stop the expected ouster of elected trustees by the Texas Education Agency.
- Texas education officials face local resistance to Houston ISD board takeover
- > Nov 15, 8:53 AM: Parents and residents of the state's largest school district filled a meeting at Wheatley High School Thursday evening to give state education officials a message: They would prefer their elected school board over one chosen by the
- As LRSD Approaches Five Years Of State Control, Its Future Is Still Uncertain
- > Nov 14, 8:25 AM: The return of the Little Rock School District to local control has been a controversial topic since the state took over the district almost five years ago. State officials say the outcome of an Oct. 10 meeting of the State Board of
- Providence schools takeover agreement spells out roles of state, city
- Nov 6, 6:48 AM: Under the state takeover agreement, the Providence School Board is responsible for increasing the annual school budget by the same percentage as state aid to the district.
- State draft plots course for LRSD
- > Oct 30, 6:25 AM: The state Education secretary released a draft memo on the Little Rock School District on Tuesday that lays out a framework for creation of community schools and outlines the conditions under which the district will be returned to
- Providence school takeover begins Friday, but superintendent won’t be named by then
- Oct 29, 5:50 AM: There will not be a turnaround superintendent in place when the state education commissioner officially takes control of the Providence public schools Friday.
- Governors of R.I., Mass., Conn. discuss school takeovers, climate change
- Oct 25, 7:12 AM: The latest mind meld between southern New England’s governors could bring their states closer together on school takeovers, marijuana regulation, vaping bans, climate change and transportation.
- Elorza: Schools takeover will be a long process
- > Oct 16, 5:36 AM: On the same day that state Education Commissioner Angélica Infante-Green announced that the state’s takeover of the Providence Public School District would last at least five years, Mayor Jorge Elorza said city residents should be
- Little Rock school district won’t be divided into two groups, but teachers fear they’ll be stripped
- > Oct 11, 7:49 AM: The Arkansas Board of Education took a step Thursday toward returning the Little Rock School District to local control, rejecting a controversial idea that struggling schools remain under state supervision while improving schools
- State Board retreats from proposal to divide Little Rock school district, then votes to boot the tea
- Oct 11, 5:43 AM: The state Board of Education retreated from the framework it adopted earlier for the Little Rock School District, but then it voted to oust the Little Rock Education Association as representative of teachers.