- Whitmer’s school plan: Students and teachers in masks, no visitors, spaced desks, cleaning
- > Jul 1, 6:12 AM: School life in Michigan — from athletics to riding the bus to wearing masks in classrooms — will depend on how much or little the COVID-19 virus is raging through regions of the state come the first day of
- Online or in the classroom, teachers and students must show up every day, new rules say
- > Jun 29, 8:37 AM: When it comes to education, the new state budget goes beyond providing $70.5 billion in funding for K-12 schools — it sets fundamental accountability rules for a new era of distance learning in California by requiring teachers to
- California schools must provide daily live interaction, access to technology this fall
- Jun 25, 5:46 AM: California schools will need to offer daily live instruction and regular communication with parents, among other requirements, in order to receive state funding for the upcoming school year.
- Michigan GOP return-to-school proposal calls for more local flexibility, more money
- > Jun 24, 5:46 AM: Republican lawmakers in the state House and Senate announced their return-to-school plan on the Capitol steps Tuesday, which they said aims to give "schools maximum flexibility to empower students and parents in the coming school
- Massachusetts parent group pushes Charlie Baker to get students back to school this fall
- > Jun 22, 8:23 AM: A parent group worried about worsening achievement gaps and increasing psychological strain on children forced out of schools by the coronavirus pandemic is pushing Gov. Charlie Baker and state education officials to bring students
- In-school, online or both? State urges districts to prep for it all this fall
- > Jun 19, 6:55 AM: State health and education officials on Thursday released guidance to help Minnesota’s public schools plan for the coming school year. But the future track of the coronavirus outbreak will dictate what happens this
- Editorial: Reopening California schools is dangerous. But so is letting kids go a year without learn
- Jun 15, 8:14 AM: This spring was tough. Reopening schools will almost certainly be tougher. But leaving students to stumble through another year without real learning is unacceptable.
- Parent reacts to West Virginia Department of Education’s school scenarios for upcoming year
- Jun 12, 6:41 AM: Vredeveld is worried about her daughter, who is heading into eighth grade. She works full time, and will not be able to hold her daughter accountable on the remote learning days.
- Sisolak says Nevada schools can reopen facilities immediately
- Jun 10, 6:53 AM: Gov. Steve Sisolak on Tuesday signed a directive allowing Nevada schools to reopen buildings and athletic facilities immediately, ending a nearly three-month closure triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Central Bucks Parents Petition For ‘Dual Option’ Fall Reopening
- Jun 9, 7:04 AM: The parents support other recommendations, including temperature checks and frequent handwashing. They also said they would prefer staggered schedules over a hybrid model of instruction.
- State releases ‘Return to Learn’ guidance for school reopenings
- > Jun 5, 7:06 AM: The Oklahoma State Department of Education published the framework of recommendations, called Return to Learn Oklahoma, on Wednesday. The framework offers a checklist of 71 action items relating to school operations, academics,
- Pediatricians say kids should be in school despite coronavirus risk
- > Jun 4, 8:18 AM: The damage done by keeping children out of school might outweigh the risks of COVID-19 transmission, a regional organization of pediatricians said Tuesday, pushing back against educators who have cautioned against reopening
- Schools will reopen in the fall. School leaders are asking for help from lawmakers
- May 29, 6:59 AM: Some Arizona schools will open up as early as July for the next school year. But as state leaders push to return students to classrooms, questions remain about money, logistics and the impact of the virus.
- Editorial: ‘Unbiased’ Department of Education just got caught playing rank politics
- > May 28, 7:54 AM: Carranza’s on record saying it’s wrong to “waste” this crisis. So when his DOE insists, “We have not yet made any decisions on this policy, and will not do so without hearing first from our students and families,” you’re right to
- Opinion: Michigan lags in a path forward for schools
- > May 26, 6:26 AM: School buildings have been closed for more than two months, and districts statewide have submitted “continuity of learning plans” for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year, but Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and the Michigan Department
- Georgia begins planning for school in the fall
- > May 22, 7:51 AM: Georgia’s 180 school districts will make their own decisions about whether and how to reopen their school buildings absent a mandate from Kemp. The new group will provide “expertise and perspective” for them in six areas: school
- Cade Brumley, Jefferson Parish schools leader, named Louisiana superintendent of education
- May 21, 7:46 AM: Cade Brumley, superintendent of the Jefferson Parish school system, was named state superintendent of education Wednesday after two tense rounds of voting.
- Agreeing on new state superintendent of education remains thorny topic
- May 19, 7:19 AM: Louisiana’s top school board hopes to name a new state superintendent of education Wednesday, but getting a super majority of the panel to agree on a choice remains a major hurdle.
- State Superintendent of Education Presents Statewide Digital Learning Plan to Mississippi Legislatur
MDE’s plan aims to bring equity to education by putting a device in the hands of every student who needs one, ensuring students have internet access at home, training teachers how to teach remotely, and providing districts with a >
May 14, 7:30 AM:
- Ohio plan envisions masks for students and teachers, at-home temperature checks when schools reopen
- > May 14, 6:29 AM: A draft state plan offering guidelines on how Ohio schools can safely reopen this fall envisions daily at-home temperature checks, hand-sanitizing stations, and required face masks for students and teachers, among other safety