- Superintendents want quick action on funding reform
- Aug 24, 4:48 AM: Several downstate school superintendents Wednesday said lawmakers still need to move quickly to enact a revised school aid formula to ensure state education money is soon distributed to schools.
- Madigan cancels school funding override vote ‘in light of progress’
- > Aug 23, 5:49 AM: Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan canceled a Wednesday House session — and a planned override of Gov. Bruce Rauner’s veto of a school funding measure — “in light of progress” made during lengthy leaders’ meetings about school
- Illinois House schedules school-funding veto override
- > Aug 17, 6:09 AM: The Illinois House will attempt to reverse Gov. Bruce Rauner's veto of a public school funding revamp next week, the speaker said Wednesday after a failed vote on legislation Democrats introduced to gauge support for the Republican
- “Disappointed” House accepts Senate’s changes to school finance bill
- Aug 16, 4:52 AM: After three hours of private negotiations and almost two hours of public debate Tuesday, the Texas House decided to agree with the Senate's decision to strip funding and reforms from a school finance bill.
- Rauner attacks Democrats a day after they moved to override his education veto
- Aug 15, 6:37 AM: The bill now heads to the House, where lawmakers have two weeks to try to override the governor. If they do nothing, or an override fails, the state will remain unable to cut checks for schools.
- Texas House, Senate move toward school finance compromise
- > Aug 15, 4:58 AM: After days of staring each other down over whether and how to improve the way the state funds its public schools, the Texas House and Senate both blinked Monday, with each passing the other's priority school finance
- Senate overrides Rauner school funding veto, but House hurdle remains
- > Aug 14, 5:10 AM: Senate Democrats on Sunday voted to override Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner's veto of a measure to overhaul how tax dollars are parceled out to schools, but a key hurdle in the House remains before checks can be sent to the state's
- Lawmakers hear how education-funding impasse will affect schools
- > Aug 10, 8:16 AM: With both state legislative chambers set to return to Springfield next week, Illinois House members on Wednesday heard testimony that put a spotlight on how schools across the state are dealing with the impasse over education
- Texas Senate leaders reject $1.8 billion House school finance fix
- Aug 9, 5:01 AM: Senate Republicans on Tuesday rejected a plan pushed by their GOP counterparts in the House to inject $1.8 billion into the beleaguered Texas public education system over the next two years.
- Rauner: Special sessions for school funding start Wednesday
- > Jul 25, 5:45 AM: Pressure is building to resolve the issue because no state money is available for K-12 education unless a new school funding formula is put in place. Both Republicans and Democrats agree the current formula is flawed and that a new
- Kansas House rejects combination K-12, tax bill; search for new deal goes on
- Jun 6, 5:39 AM: The governor went on to say he supports maintaining a “pro-growth taxation system,” a single-bracket tax system and school choice for low-performing students.
- Lawmakers say school-aid fund formula needs boost
State legislators who say they want to change an “outdated” education funding formula are hoping to pump >
Jan 5, 9:20 AM:
- Public schools still receive most Indiana education funding
- > Jan 3, 6:25 AM: Indiana annually spends more money on elementary and high school education than any other budget component, a trend likely to continue when the General Assembly convenes in January to determine how to spend anticipated revenue for
- Choice Funding In Philly
Children’s Scholarship Fund grants 2,000 low-income Philadelphia students money to attend nonpublic schools. Based on lottery system and funded by tax credits and donations.
Oct 31, 7:38 AM:
- Superintendent Pay Called Into Question
A proposal in HI to cap superintendent pay is supported by a large amount of stakeholders in education, and is drawing scrutiny to the salary in general. Others say the salary is not important and the professional experience of >
Feb 13, 6:53 AM:
- Race To The Top Grants Running Out
One NC county is facing some tough planning ahead of the expiration of its grant money from the Race to the Top program. The money has funded "Renaissance Schools" which have established new policies and procedures to varying >
Dec 31, 8:21 AM:
- Aiming High In Ohio
Ohio schools will compete for $250 million in innovation frants available from the state's new Straight A Fund. Gov Kasich's administration will be looking for grants that, among other things, aim to improve student achievement >
Sep 11, 4:22 PM:
- Who Makes Decision
AZ Supreme Court judges hearing arguments on appeal to lower court's decision to allow legislative branch to approve voter-approved law that mandates lawmakers give schools annual funding increase even in "lean" years. Voter >
Jul 23, 6:29 AM:
- What Can Brown Do For You
CA Gov Jerry Brown was named Education Gov of the Year by the NEA, the largest education union in the nation. The distinction is given to gov's who improve public education through legislation. The crowning achievements, Prop. 30 >
Jul 8, 9:59 AM: