- Shutdowns, testing, quarantines have become a maze for Philadelphia parents to navigate
- > Sep 17, 8:27 AM: With five Philadelphia public schools shut down due to the pandemic barely two weeks into the school year, parents are struggling to understand the policies for closures and quarantines and growing increasingly concerned over
- ‘There’s nothing in place’: Parents ask Portland Public Schools for quarantine plan
- Sep 17, 8:22 AM: While at least 200 PPS students have been asked to quarantine, parents say they've done so without distance learning alternatives in place.
- Opinion: Seattle Public Schools’ delta dysfunction
- Sep 15, 9:26 AM: Without a more nimble approach to COVID contingencies, WA's largest school district risks losing vital state funding — and parent trust.
- Why School Districts Are Unprepared for COVID-19 Disruptions, Again
- Sep 15, 8:55 AM: Exhaustion, misplaced optimism, bad state policies, and a rush to open full-time virtual schools led districts to shelve last year’s hybrid learning models.
- An uneasy return to the classroom in New York City
- Sep 13, 10:37 AM: The return of students to classrooms Monday marks a history-making moment for New York City and will be a defining element of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s legacy.
- Los Angeles schools are requiring vaccinations for eligible students. Hear what parents have to say
- Sep 10, 11:26 AM: While some parents spoke in favor of the mandate, others angrily denounced the proposal. “We must be the ones who decide for our children, not the district, not anyone else,” admonished parent Carla Franca.
- COVID concerns kept these students home. Now they are no longer enrolled.
- > Sep 10, 11:22 AM: On the first day of school in Chicago, Cortney Ritsema emailed her campus in the city’s Rogers Park neighborhood to say her three children would not come to school because of concerns about the delta variant and the district’s
- School board limits extracurricular activities to district students
- > Sep 10, 11:21 AM: If you want to home-school your kids –Enroll them in a private school;Or stick them in one of those full-time online programs;Don’t expect to play football for Payson High School. Or march in the band. Or act in the plays. Or do
- All eligible LAUSD students would have to be vaccinated by January under board proposal
- > Sep 9, 1:54 PM: All Los Angeles public school children 12 and older would have to be fully vaccinated by January to enter campus — sooner for students involved in many extracurricular activities — under a proposal to be voted on Thursday by the
- Ky. school district closes until Sept. 7 over COVID. New law halts learning for some.
- Aug 27, 6:14 AM: In one of the longest school shutdowns in Kentucky this academic year due to COVID-19, Lee County Public Schools has closed until Sept. 7, with no learning this week.
- A very difficult decision’: Minnesota schools divided on masking
- > Aug 17, 4:46 PM: School mask policies have been among the most contentious issues district leaders have faced this summer. Some district leaders have even had to ask law enforcement for help maintaining calm at public board meetings where masking
- Republican lawmakers can’t sidestep a provision of the Arizona Constitution
- > Aug 17, 4:22 PM: Republican lawmakers can’t sidestep a provision of the Arizona Constitution that dictates when new laws go into effect by adding a retroactivity clause, a Maricopa County judge ruled in a case attempting to overturn Phoenix Union
- Editorial: Mandatory vaccines and masks. LAUSD shows the right way to reopen schools in 2021
- > Aug 17, 4:11 PM: Los Angeles County can expect a rise in reported COVID-19 cases over the coming week as the Delta variant continues to spread. Not all of the new infections will be among sick people. Some will be asymptomatic cases discovered by
- Hundreds of thousands of Los Angeles students are back for the first day of school
- > Aug 16, 3:38 PM: Hundreds of thousands of Los Angeles-area students on Monday are returning to campus for the first time in more than a year — a moment marked by pandemic-driven anxiety as well as by joy and relief after children’s lives have been
- Pittsburgh Public Schools Parents Protest Delayed Start To New School Year
- Aug 12, 10:55 AM: They have had a year to set up a plan to anticipate obstacles and to work around them,” said Sheila Velez Martinez. “This is their job. They are failing at it.
- Parents, districts scrambling as school reopens while COVID-19 cases spike
- Aug 11, 9:12 AM: But the district brought back a version of virtual learning in the face of the highly contagious delta variant, with case levels rising statewide and with kids under 12 currently ineligible for a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Denver requires all school staff to receive COVID vaccine
- Aug 3, 10:50 AM: Any person working regularly in a Denver school now has to be vaccinated against COVID-19 by Sept. 30, according to a public health order announced by Mayor Michael Hancock Monday morning.
- Los Angeles schools order weekly virus tests for everyone, vaccinated or not.
- Aug 2, 10:01 AM: The Los Angeles Unified School District announced on Thursday that it would require all students and employees returning for in-person instruction to participate in weekly coronavirus testing.
- Why Louisiana Schools Are Sticking With Plans For In-Person Classes Despite Recent COVID Spike
- > Jul 30, 9:03 AM: With COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations on the rise in Louisiana, some parents have begun to question whether their children will be able to start the school year in-person. But ask any school or health official and the answer —
- Elementary age parents struggle to decide whether to send their children back to public school
- > Jul 29, 3:25 PM: With less than three weeks until the start of the school year, parents are anxiously waiting with bated breath for the USD 250 Board of Education and local health officials to make a decision about masking in classrooms for the