- L.A. Unified proposes a 2-week school year extension for student learning loss, trauma
- > Apr 13, 7:43 AM: Los Angeles school officials will consider a plan to extend the next school year by adding one week at the start in August and another week in January after winter break to address learning loss and trauma suffered by students
- Thousands of San Diego kids go back to school, finally
- > Apr 13, 5:43 AM: Tens of thousands of San Diego-area students returned to classrooms Monday as their districts, some of the largest, were among the last in the county to open campuses for in-person instruction — to a mix of delight and nervousness
- Last to return in Maryland, Prince George’s County opens its schools
- > Apr 9, 8:07 AM: Schools in Prince George’s County became the last in Maryland to reopen for in-person instruction Thursday, with 29,000 students part of the first wave of a week-long return to classrooms that were empty for almost 13 months amid
- Here’s what we know about covid infections in D.C. schools
- > Apr 8, 7:55 AM: The notices can be concerning, but city officials say they are more reflective of students bringing the virus into schools rather than the virus spreading in schools. School system officials say that when multiple people in the
- Majority of Madison students chose to return to in-person learning but online option here to stay
- Apr 6, 7:46 AM: As Madison elementary schools prepare to welcome the next wave of learners back to classrooms, the district has begun discussing the launch of an online school for fall 2021 for those who prefer to learn online.
- Fairfax schools to offer four days a week of in-person learning in late April
- Apr 6, 7:38 AM: Virginia’s largest school district will begin offering four days a week of in-person instruction this month, following a recent change in federal guidelines on social distancing inside classrooms.
- Harrisburg School District students returning to classroom for first time in over a year
- > Apr 6, 7:32 AM: Kicking off this morning, students in grades K through 2nd will begin hybrid learning, meaning for the first time in more than year, little ones at Foose Elementary School will walk-up that sidewalk and into those doors for
- Editorial: San Francisco schools are a mess. It will take an outsider to fix them
- > Apr 6, 7:28 AM: So much drama, all coming on top of years’ worth of frankly nonsensical moments in the San Francisco Unified School District — perhaps most famously, its attempt to change the names of 44 schools. On Tuesday the school board is
- In massive reopening effort at 1,400 L.A. public schools, safety is the priority
- > Apr 6, 7:26 AM: Principals are jiggering schedules. Families are pondering whether to return. Teachers are moving school supplies from bedrooms, kitchen tables and garages into classrooms. The nation’s second-largest school system is ramping up to
- Will school be back to normal this fall? Kind of, sort of, maybe.
- > Apr 5, 8:15 AM: School districts across the country are planning to return to full-time, in-person classes this fall. But some also are planning for hybrid systems that combine in-person and remote learning as a fallback. All teachers and staff
- Beyond just reopening schools, many parents want full-time in-person learning
- Apr 5, 6:25 AM: Overwhelmingly San Diego County districts have been limiting how many students are on campus by staggering when they can learn in-person and when they must learn at home online.
- In San Francisco, turmoil over reopening schools turns a city against itself.
- > Apr 1, 7:55 AM: The pandemic has brought grinding frustrations for parents, educators and students across the United States. But perhaps no place has matched San Francisco in its level of infighting, public outrage and halting efforts to reopen
- Longview ISD suspends remote learning, requires students return to campuses in April
- Apr 1, 7:04 AM: Longview Independent School District is transitioning away from remote learning and requesting all students return to on-campus education for the final six weeks period.
- Pasco schools will end remote classes in the fall
- Mar 31, 6:06 AM: Pasco County Schools on Tuesday became the first Tampa Bay area district to announce a return this fall to the way classes were held before the pandemic.
- In San Francisco, Turmoil Over Reopening Schools Turns a City Against Itself
- > Mar 29, 8:20 AM: The pandemic has brought grinding frustrations for parents, educators and students across the country. But perhaps no place has matched San Francisco in its level of infighting, public outrage and halting efforts to reopen
- LAUSD goes to great lengths to show schools are safe to reopen. But it’s a tough sell
- > Mar 29, 8:09 AM: While large numbers of exasperated parents are ready to return, the clear majority of parents so far are not sending their children back. Although data on why families are making particular choices is unavailable, The Times has
- DeKalb County parent expresses disappointment with in-person learning
- Mar 29, 7:31 AM: She's said it's not at all what her seventh-grade son was expecting when the school district reopened a few weeks ago for students longing for face-to-face learning.
- Editorial: Exceptional importance, indeed
- > Mar 26, 5:35 AM: Over the past 10-15 years, the General Assembly of Arkansas has tried to make it easier for students to flee failing school districts. But state money follows the students, so some school districts have tangled themselves up in
- Most MPS students able to return to school in April; union calls school board’s plan ‘a mess’
- > Mar 25, 7:29 AM: Amy Mizialko, president of the Milwaukee Teachers' Education Association, said what the board passed was a "mess." "We were at a meeting for seven hours until 1 o'clock in the morning almost. And we still don't have a plan. So MPS
- Boston schools seek delay for full-time return to classroom for K-8 students
- Mar 24, 5:35 AM: Boston Public Schools on Monday requested a waiver to delay the resumption of full-time, in-person classes, one of 74 Massachusetts districts to do so, according to the state department of education.