- State urges confidence in school lottery despite problems at Capital Prep
- > May 4, 4:37 AM: Thirty-three students were given coveted seats in Hartford regional magnet schools for this school year without winning them in the state-run blind lottery, the state education department said Wednesday as it braced for a highly
- Acclaimed Capital Prep Magnet School Bypassed Normal Lottery Process For Athletes, Other Students
- > May 3, 6:50 AM: Capital Prep, the nationally acclaimed Hartford magnet school that is the most sought-after in the city, repeatedly bypassed the state's normal lottery process and enrolled athletes who played for its dominant sports teams, a
- Nevada GOP leader vows no vote on budget without ESA money
- May 3, 6:02 AM: Nevada Assembly Minority Leader Paul Anderson said Tuesday he and his caucus will vote against the state budget if it does not include funding for education savings accounts.
- Margate parent must pay Ocean City $15,500 for child’s tuition
- May 3, 5:25 AM: The parent of a child who illegally attended the Ocean City School District in 2015-16 must pay the district $15,537, the cost of a student’s tuition for that year, the acting education commissioner has ruled.
- More than 1,000 rally at Statehouse for school choice
- May 3, 5:06 AM: More than 1,000 students, teachers and school officials rallied outside the Statehouse today to thank lawmakers for helping parents have a choice about where their children attend school.
- Congress expected to reauthorize D.C. school vouchers in sweeping budget deal
- > May 2, 7:07 AM: Congress is expected to extend the D.C. school voucher program as part of a bipartisan budget deal this week, a move that follows the release of a new federal analysis showing that some voucher recipients in private schools trailed
- Conservative legal group to push for school choice in Kansas
- May 2, 5:15 AM: The conservative think tank Kansas Policy Institute announced plans Monday to launch a new legal branch that will push for school choice initiatives such as private school vouchers, even if that means suing in court.
- Stark residents rally in support of school voucher expansion
- > May 2, 5:12 AM: Students, parents and staff from Stark County Catholic schools are joining parochial and private schools from around the state Tuesday in a rally to encourage state lawmakers to pass a law that would give more families access to a
- School vouchers, rising in many GOP states, founder in Texas
- May 1, 7:16 AM: With Republicans controlling two-thirds of state legislatures, as well as the White House and Congress, expectations among conservatives are soaring that the time for a "school choice" revolution has finally arrived.
- Nevada Democratic leaders giving little thought to Sandoval’s ESA bill
- May 1, 6:23 AM: Democratic leadership said Friday they have not given much consideration this session to Gov. Brian Sandoval’s education savings account bill.
- D.C. Vouchers Show Negative Impact on Student Achievement, Study Finds (CER in the news)
- Apr 28, 7:07 AM: But Jeanne Allen, the CEO of the Center for Education Reform, which supports vouchers, questioned the report's findings, in part because it only looked at student performance over one year.
- Nation’s only federally funded voucher program has negative effect on student achievement, stu
- > Apr 28, 7:05 AM: Students in the nation’s only federally funded school voucher initiative performed worse on standardized tests within a year after entering D.C. private schools than peers who did not participate, according to a new federal
- Questions About Shelby County Schools Voucher Bill Postpone It for the Year
- Apr 28, 6:05 AM: Questions about student testing within a proposed pilot voucher bill affecting Shelby County Schools forced the bill’s sponsor to postpone it until next year.
- New poll suggests voters could favor education savings accounts for school choice
- > Apr 28, 5:23 AM: A Senate bill geared toward providing Missouri families greater choice and flexibility regarding their children’s education has passed the state’s upper chamber. The Missouri Senate on Thursday advanced the legislation seeking to
- House’s pared-down school choice bill garners criticism, applause
- Apr 28, 4:54 AM: Parents, educators and advocacy groups Thursday night both lauded and lambasted a House bill that would create a school choice program for special education students.
- Memphis school voucher bill fizzles in House subcommittee
- Apr 27, 6:10 AM: School voucher legislation in the Tennessee House is dead for this year after a controversial bill aimed at Shelby County was moved to the 2018 legislative calendar.
- How vouchers became a flash point in a Dallas ISD trustee race
- Apr 27, 5:10 AM: Kirkpatrick’s claim that Marshall supports school vouchers took center stage, leaving the incumbent calling his opponent out for misleading voters about his dedication to public schools.
- Vouchers would allow Mason City school to expand ‘high-level education with a Christian worldview’
- Apr 26, 5:02 AM: A growing faith-based K-12 school in Mason City says a implementation of a state school choice program would allow it to expand its top-level educational program.
- Iowa GOP wants school choice; results mixed among states with programs
- Apr 26, 4:58 AM: A program that would allow Iowa parents to use taxpayer money to put their child in a non-public school could be proposed next year when Iowa lawmakers resume their work.
- House lawmakers hit pause on sweeping school choice bill
- Apr 26, 4:43 AM: House lawmakers hit pause Tuesday on a sweeping school choice bill over concerns it would improperly divert taxpayer dollars to religious schools and financially harm public schools.