- More School Choice Might Be Keeping Middle Class Families In Kansas City
- > Oct 27, 4:50 AM: District officials have long argued that public perception of city schools often lags behind what’s actually happening in KCPS classrooms. Oates credits Mark Bedell, now in his second year as superintendent, with making inroads
- Unable to reinvent itself, Black Alliance for Educational Options to shut down after nearly 20 years
- Oct 26, 7:09 AM: After a failed attempt at reinvention, a longtime national advocacy group for black parents will shut down at the end of the year.
- Area superintendents wary of school voucher program proposal
- Oct 26, 5:54 AM: Area school officials are wary of a voucher program intended for children who attend low-performing schools and allow them to enroll elsewhere using funds from education savings accounts.
- Maryland private school voucher program grows in second year
- Oct 26, 5:44 AM: More than 2,600 Maryland students from low-income families received taxpayer-funded vouchers to The Baltimore Sun private or religious schools this year, the state Department of Education announced Wednesday.
- Florida lawmakers, officials call for reform of private schools that get state scholarships
- Oct 26, 5:01 AM: Lawmakers, local elected officials and policy experts are calling for reform after an Orlando Sentinel investigation revealed that private schools take nearly $1 billion in state scholarships but have little oversight.
- Vitti: Some schools of choice ‘disastrous’
- > Oct 26, 4:47 AM: The best place for a child to be educated is a traditional public school, and some charter schools without “guardrails” have been disastrous for communities, said Nikolai Vitti, superintendent of Detroit’s school
- Illinois parents have very little power over their children’s education (CER in the news)
- Oct 25, 7:10 AM: Illinois parents have very little control over their children's education. That's according to an educational freedom group's new report.
- Number of Aquinas students using vouchers increases
- Oct 25, 7:08 AM: New numbers from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction show more students are using publicly funded vouchers to attend private schools, including La Crosse's Aquinas Catholic Schools.
- Education savings accounts: ‘dangerous scheme’ or ‘critical lifeline’?
- Oct 25, 5:42 AM: A controversial proposal to let Pennsylvania parents send their children to private schools on the taxpayer dime faltered Tuesday in the state Senate soon after the bill appeared to advance.
- Controversial school choice legislation defeated on a tie vote in Senate committee
- Oct 25, 4:44 AM: School choice legislation gaining traction across the nation hit a roadblock in the Pennsylvania Senate Education Committee on Tuesday.
- Lightly revised school choice bill moves forward
- Oct 25, 4:43 AM: A bill that would establish one of the most expansive school-choice programs in the country has received the green light from a panel of lawmakers and is headed to the House Education Committee.
- Enrollment in Wisconsin private school voucher programs climbs
- Oct 24, 5:45 AM: Enrollment in Wisconsin’s private school voucher programs was up nearly eight percent this school year.
- Multi-racial families report mixed results with school choice in Macon-Bibb County
- > Oct 23, 6:16 AM: These two multiracial families have a particular perspective on education in Macon-Bibb County, where skin color correlates strongly to where most children go to school. Both families have struggled at least as much as any others
- Indiana school voucher debate continues
- > Oct 23, 4:51 AM: Jennifer Madison wasn’t unhappy with her son’s traditional public school, but when she learned her son qualified for a state-funded voucher, she jumped at the chance to send him to St. Patrick’s School in Terre
- Online system for magnet schools sought
- Oct 20, 5:02 AM: The School District wants to purchase a new online magnet school application system that will help streamline the selection process and save local taxpayers thousands of dollars down the road.
- State lawmakers, experts debate school choice in N.C.
- Oct 20, 4:56 AM: Lawmakers and education scholars Monday night debated whether the state should sharpen its focus when overseeing tax-funded charter and private schools.
- Some changes, many questions for Lafayette schools of choice
- > Oct 19, 4:59 AM: The Lafayette Parish School Board on Wednesday approved changes to dozens of specialized academy programs across the district. However, the board pulled some of the more contentious changes for later consideration and left plenty
- Schools Without Rules
- > Oct 18, 5:37 AM: Private schools in Florida will collect nearly $1 billion in state-backed scholarships this year through a system so weakly regulated that some schools hire teachers without college degrees, hold classes in aging strip malls and
- Philly removes admissions standards for trade schools
- Oct 18, 5:06 AM: On Tuesday, the district announced plans to do away with those standards. Now, any student who wants to attend a program at one of 31 high schools has a shot at admission through a lottery.
- Private Schools Offer New Plan For Accepting More Special Education Students
- > Oct 17, 4:58 AM: When a school district does not have a school for a certain grade, Vermont's school choice law lets parents take their public money and use it at private schools — but some of those schools don't have to admit students with