- Funding the ‘School Choice’ Lobby
- > Feb 8, 5:43 AM: In just one year, the Mississippi Legislature has gone from slightly tweaking its voucher program for students with dyslexia to a push to allow any public-school student to apply for a taxpayer-funded voucher to use at a private
- Lawmakers push new voucher programs, tougher union rules
- Feb 7, 6:59 AM: The Florida House is pushing to create new school voucher programs and to more closely regulate local teachers unions, moves lawmakers argue will strengthen education in Florida but critics fear will undermine public schools.
- Koch brothers are promoting school vouchers in Arizona
- > Feb 7, 6:46 AM: The Koch brothers have set their sights on Arizona trying to leverage a win for school vouchers. Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey attended a policy session with the Kochs' network of donors in California last month. The Koch-funded Libre
- Florida legislators to focus on education bill this week
- Feb 5, 8:19 AM: The Florida House is expected to pass a sweeping education bill (HB 7055) that includes a unique new program that would offer private school vouchers to students who have been bullied, harassed or beaten up.
- Illinois Gov. Rauner touts new scholarship program for private schools
Gov. Rauner was on hand to promote the Invest in Kids Act, which allows income tax credits for taxpayers who make authorized contributions to a scholarship-granting organization, which in turn provides scholarships for low- to >
Feb 5, 7:01 AM:
- School choice out of favor — Lincoln County locals dislike voucher system
- Feb 5, 6:32 AM: The Mississippi Senate is working through a piece of legislation that could drastically broaden the state’s school voucher program.
- School choice advocates look for another year of expansion
- > Feb 5, 5:55 AM: Unable to gain large-scale advances in the Oklahoma Legislature over the past few years, school choice advocates have instead focused on small gains that have slowly expanded the state’s voucher program to specific student
- Statewide voucher school program continues expansion with 68 new schools for 2018-19
- Feb 2, 6:08 AM: Private schools, most of them faith-based, continue to flock to Wisconsin's taxpayer-funded statewide voucher program that serves students outside of the Racine and Milwaukee school districts, according to new state data.
- School choice has big impact on budgets across Mass.
- > Feb 1, 8:17 AM: In Massachusetts, a 1991 initiative known as inter-district school choice gives parents the option of enrolling their children in a public school district in a community other than their hometown. While the law lets each school
- Judge won’t block school voucher vote
- Feb 1, 6:27 AM: A judge has refused to block voters from getting the last word on whether they want to expand a system of vouchers that uses public funds to send children to private and parochial schools.
- Six schools join register for Racine Parental Choice Program
- > Feb 1, 6:17 AM: Six new schools registered with the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction this year to accept students through the Racine Parental Choice Program. In all, 26 private nonsectarian and religious schools registered to take part
- Tax-credit scholarships on hold for Peoria-area Catholic schools
- > Feb 1, 6:16 AM: One of the more ambitious organizations granting private-school scholarships under Illinois’ controversial new tax-credit scholarship program shut down the application process Wednesday before anyone had a chance to
- Harmony board opposing school choice bill
- Feb 1, 6:06 AM: Harmony Area School Board discussed state Senate Bill 2 and a recommendation from Superintendent Stuart Albaugh to have board members approve a resolution opposing it.
- Analysis: School voucher bill could cost N.H. $36M over 12 years
- Jan 31, 7:12 AM: A school choice bill that would create a voucher-like system in New Hampshire could cost the state $36 million over 12 years, according to a new analysis from the state’s nonpartisan Legislative Budget Assistant.
- House moves Hope Scholarships for bullied students
- > Jan 31, 7:01 AM: Opponents outnumbered supporters in the crowd but where it mattered most, among those with the power of the vote, HB 1 proponents had a 2-to-1 advantage. Rep. Byron Donalds, R-Naples, listened patiently while 21 citizens
- Senate Bill puts school-choice scholarships at risk for low-income kids
- Jan 31, 6:54 AM: The bill would cut off Illinois’ new tax credit scholarship program if the Illinois State Board of Education determined public school funding levels were inadequate.
- Judge tosses lawsuit to stop Arizona’s school-voucher referendum
- Jan 31, 6:40 AM: A Maricopa County Superior Court judge has thrown out a legal challenge to prevent a citizens' referendum on Arizona's expanded school-voucher-style law from going to voters.
- School choice voucher push dies (for now) in House, alive in Senate
- Jan 31, 5:55 AM: The Senate Education Committee moved forward Tuesday legislation expanding access to the state’s voucher program, setting the stage for a state-supported exodus of thousands of children from public schools.
- Lake City parents hear about new school choice options
- Jan 31, 5:47 AM: Florence County School District Three held one of two meetings Tuesday evening to inform parents of the new schools choice options that will begin next school year.
- What Does It Take To Get Into New Orleans’ Top Public Schools?
- > Jan 30, 6:48 AM: Families across New Orleans are deciding where to send their kids to school next year. Parents can now use the district’s OneApp — an online application that allows you to apply to many schools at once. The district then tries to