- Bridgeport Board Of Ed Seeks Changes For Magnet Schools
- > Jul 6, 7:52 AM: The Bridgeport Board of Education proposed changes to magnet school admission and performance standards at its meeting in June, in order to make magnet schools more accessible and ensure magnet students receive adequate
- Proposed Vouchers Wouldn’t Reach Most Special Needs Students
- > Jul 5, 5:29 AM: The upcoming special legislative session is likely to provide just as many fireworks as the regular session did. Among the most controversial issues on the table is the contentious debate between the House and Senate over "private
- Kevin Chavous: Vouchers Are Key to Education Reform
- > Jun 30, 7:52 AM: How do we tell kids in certain zip codes that they don't deserve the same access to a world-class education as their wealthier peers? A recent op-ed by Scott Sargrad ["Don't Gamble on Vouchers, June 21] argues that students trapped
- School choice a moneymaker for Peabody
- Jun 30, 5:25 AM: Six years ago, officials opened the city’s schools to pupils from other communities in hopes of absorbing the blow to the district’s finances from students leaving Peabody. That decision has paid off.
- Sununu signs school choice bill in Croydon ceremony
- Jun 30, 5:22 AM: Gov. Chris Sununu on Thursday visited the Croydon Village School to sign legislation known as the “Croydon bill” that allows for some students to attend private school using public money.
- The School Voucher Research Wars (CER in the news)
- > Jun 29, 7:53 AM: When researchers released new studies on the effectiveness of private school voucher programs in Louisiana and Indiana this week, advocates and opponents of such policies were quick to parse the findings and plant a victory flag
- New law allows Fort Benning children to attend any MCSD school — well, almost
- > Jun 29, 5:49 AM: Thanks to a new state law, children of military service members who live on Fort Benning will be allowed, effective July 1, to attend any Columbus public school if space is available, the Muscogee County School District announced
- Croydon: Tiny N.H. town forever synonymous with school choice
- > Jun 29, 5:40 AM: In Sullivan County Superior Court, attorneys for the state argued that the Croydon School Board had acted illegally when it tuitioned students to a private Montessori school in nearby Newport. The debate would reach the State
- School Voucher Advocates React to Supreme Court’s Trinity Lutheran Ruling(CER in the news)
- > Jun 28, 8:16 AM: Private school voucher advocates have been closely following the case before the U.S. Supreme Court that dealt with the constitutionality of a state denying grant funds to a church solely because it was a religious
- U.S. Supreme Court opinion on religious school not expected to impact Oklahoma (CER in the news)
- Jun 28, 8:14 AM: A U.S. Supreme Court opinion that overturned a state policy in neighboring Missouri is not expected to affect Oklahoma, the state's education department said.
- Supreme Court ruling gives Douglas County school voucher program new life
- Jun 28, 8:13 AM: Backers of Douglas County’s stalled school voucher program say it may have new life after a decision by the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday.
- Supreme Court playground ruling feeds school voucher debate (CER in the news)
- > Jun 27, 8:01 AM: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and other proponents of school voucher programs are praising a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that said a Lutheran church was wrongly denied a state grant for its preschool playground. But opponents say
- SCOTUS ruling: gym equipment today, private school vouchers tomorrow? (CER in the news)
- Jun 27, 8:00 AM: The U.S. Supreme Court sided with a Lutheran church Monday in a dispute over the use of taxpayer dollars for playground equipment, but nobody expects the controversy to end with swing sets, monkey bars and slides.
- School voucher recipients lose ground at first, then catch up to peers, studies find
- > Jun 27, 7:58 AM: Students who received publicly funded vouchers in Indiana and Louisiana appeared to lose significant academic ground in the first two years after switching to private schools but then caught up to their public-school counterparts
- Tax credits for private school scholarships OK, state top court says
- Jun 27, 7:57 AM: A Georgia Supreme Court decision upholding state tax credits for private school scholarships has emboldened advocates for expanding the program, as teachers and education advocates lament the effect on public school budgets.
- School Vouchers Get A New Report Card
- > Jun 26, 8:05 AM: For years, the answer from researchers has been a muddle, while a handful of recent studies have clearly shown voucher students backsliding academically. But no one has studied the largest, single statewide program in the nation
- House education leaders won’t budge on school finance, private school choice
- Jun 26, 5:40 AM: The top House education leader said Sunday that “private school choice” is still dead in the lower chamber.
- JCPS magnet schools are inconsistent. A committee has ideas to fix that
- > Jun 23, 5:34 AM: Jefferson County Public Schools' magnet offerings as a whole are inconsistent, unevenly funded and confusing to parents, according to a report by a steering committee tasked with looking into part of the district's choice
- A ceremony for controversial education bill
- > Jun 23, 5:24 AM: Virtually the entire education establishment, as well as some parents’ groups, had urged Scott to veto the bill. They argued that it would move Florida closer to a privatized education system. While charter schools are public
- Assembly passes voucher school background check requirement
- Jun 22, 7:50 AM: Private schools in Wisconsin's voucher program would have to conduct employee background checks under a bill passed by the state Assembly.