- The Promise And Peril Of School Vouchers
- May 12, 7:07 AM: Wendy Robinson wants to make one thing very clear. As the long-serving superintendent of Fort Wayne public schools, Indiana's largest district, she is not afraid of competition from private schools.
- Governor’s bid to curb vouchers killed by Senate committee
- May 12, 5:59 AM: With little fanfare, Gov. John Bel Edwards' proposal to limit access to vouchers was rejected Thursday by the Senate Education Committee. Five of the panel's seven members cast "no" votes.
- Critics: Tax credit program increase will cost Luzerne County schools $1.5M
- > May 12, 5:12 AM: A proposed increase in money for a state scholarship tax credit program would be the equivalent of denying $1.5 million more to Luzerne County public school districts, an advocacy group critical of the tax credit program
- State senator stumps for major school vouchers expansion
- > May 12, 5:05 AM: State Senator Matt Huffman (R-Lima), made a stop in Mansfield to rally support for a major expansion of private school vouchers that would make school choice scholarships available to families with incomes of up to $98,400 for a
- Senate panel slips school choice into school finance bill, approves it
- > May 12, 4:47 AM: In a surprise move on Thursday, Texas Senators slipped a school choice program into a House bill that would have injected $1.6 billion into the public education system and advanced the bill to the full Senate, which could consider
- DeVos compares school choice to switching phone carriers (CER in the news)
- May 10, 7:04 AM: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos reiterated her push for school choice during an annual education technology conference in Utah Tuesday, comparing the issue to being able to switch between phone service providers.
- 3 voucher schools ask school board for delay in consequences
- May 10, 6:59 AM: Indiana's state school board will consider delaying consequences for three voucher-accepting private schools, less than two weeks after Gov. Eric Holcomb signed a law allowing such schools to make the request.
- Parents seeking signatures for voucher petition
- > May 10, 6:08 AM: Arizona voters may get the last word on making vouchers available to all students. A group of parents is hoping to gather 75,321 valid signatures on petitions by early August by foes of the legislation approved by lawmakers and
- Almost all the private schools getting vouchers in Indiana are religious
- > May 10, 5:16 AM: Voucher advocates, including current U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, say they want families to be able to choose from a diverse marketplace of schools. But Indiana’s complicated school choice system offers little incentive
- Thousands of scholarships for Alabama children rest on House action
- > May 9, 7:02 AM: Last year, Donald Trump made school choice a hot button issue while rallying voters on the campaign trail. As a candidate, he promised he would work to enact a $20 billion dollar school choice program. Now he is attempting to
- Comparing NC voucher students to public school pupils
- > May 9, 6:05 AM: Hundreds of students attending private schools using taxpayer money, along with their counterparts in public schools, volunteered to take an extra test this spring as part of a project that aims to show how the groups compare
- Parent group will seek to overturn Arizona school-voucher expansion
- May 9, 4:39 AM: Public-education advocates are launching a referendum campaign to halt the controversial expansion of Arizona’s school-voucher-style program.
- School choice in some form imminent (CER in the news)
- > May 8, 7:23 AM: Those changes are what prompted state Sen. Matt Huffman to introduce Senate Bill 85. Under his proposal, which is being discussed in committee, three current voucher programs will be combined into one program called the Ohio
- Lawmakers okay expansion to school voucher programs
- > May 8, 6:06 AM: Lawmakers on Friday signed off on significant expansions to two of Florida's premier voucher programs for education that help children with disabilities pay for alternative learning options and help poor children afford private
- State auditors: Rogue magnet school lacked state oversight
- > May 5, 5:40 AM: Lax oversight by the Connecticut State Department of Education of the school choice lottery and enrollment in Hartford regional magnet schools opened the door for the most sought-after magnet school to fill 44 percent of its 161
- At School Choice Event, Trump Praises D.C. Vouchers for Helping Kids Graduate (CER in the news)
- > May 4, 7:15 AM: At a White House event Wednesday to promote school choice, President Donald Trump praised a District of Columbia program that provides vouchers for low-income children to attend private schools. But he didn't mention a recent
- Center for Education Reform – The theme is ‘flexibility’
- May 4, 7:14 AM: Our public school leaders have been asking for years for government to remove the handcuffs. They welcome and need the ability to change their operations, and drive a new education culture.
- Trump pushes school choice, making good on campaign promise
- May 4, 6:47 AM: President Donald Trump on Wednesday asked Congress to work with him on extending school choice programs nationwide to benefit millions of students, including low-income African-American and Hispanic children.
- To slow the loss of students, Dallas ISD boss wants more school choices … and fast
- > May 4, 6:36 AM: "School choice" has created plenty of buzz over the past year, in classrooms, boardrooms and legislative halls from Austin to Washington. Dallas ISD isn’t immune to the hum. The state’s second-largest district is now pushing to
- Area superintendents fear expansion of vouchers
- May 4, 5:08 AM: Chino Valley Schools Superintendent John Scholl’s concern about the state Legislature’s expansion of educational vouchers for private and parochial schools is beyond potential impact to his district.