- Voucher students test similar to public students on Forward, above on ACT
- Oct 9, 5:35 AM: Recently released data on school testing shows that students in the Racine Parental Choice Program slightly outperformed their public school peers in some areas but are behind in others.
- GOP moves against Democratic senator on handling of school voucher petitions
- > Oct 9, 5:29 AM: The Senate Ethics Committee voted Thursday to investigate whether a Democrat lawmaker broke the law in how she gathered signatures to thwart expansion of the voucher program that lets parents use public dollars to send their
- Many local families find success stories
- Oct 9, 5:11 AM: Public school wasn't cutting it for Patricia Andrade's youngest son, Javier Andrade, who faces several challenges, including a processing disorder that makes it difficult for him to grasp everything teachers say.
- School choice works—just ask the college students By Kevin P. Chavous
- > Oct 6, 7:16 AM: Die-hard education advocates have spent decades standing up for kids who don't have access to a quality education in their own community. We've argued that every child should have the opportunity to attend a school that works best
- House GOP: Wolf breaking law by stalling educational tax credits
- Oct 6, 6:02 AM: The majority of Republican House members signed a letter urging Gov. Tom Wolf to prioritize issuing approval letters for a tax credit program that helps fund private schools.
- State Sen. Catherine Miranda under investigation over school-voucher petitions
- Oct 6, 5:58 AM: The Senate Ethics Committee voted Thursday to investigate allegations that state Sen. Catherine Miranda mishandled petition signatures in the battle over the expansion of the state's school-voucher program.
- Open enrollment required in MN, can be capped
- > Oct 5, 6:57 AM: The law has led to tens of thousands of students open enrolling or enrolling in charter schools each year. In Minneapolis Public Schools, for example, about one-third of more than 53,000 school-aged residents attend charter schools
- Are California voters warming up to school vouchers?
- Oct 5, 5:50 AM: A majority of California voters favor offering tax credits or vouchers to low-income parents for sending their children to private or religious schools, according to a new statewide poll.
- BGA: New Tax Credit For Private Schools Have Monetary Advantage Over Public Schools
- Oct 5, 5:34 AM: The head of a government watchdog group said there seems to be an imbalance built into the new tax credit for private and religious school students that is part of the new school funding formula.
- Panel offers perspectives on voucher benefits, criticisms
- Oct 5, 5:28 AM: A five-member panel Wednesday night brought varying perspectives to the school voucher debate, and the participants interacted with an engaged audience that had more questions than time allowed.
- Poll: Californians lean toward school choice, away from testing
- > Oct 5, 5:01 AM: When it comes to education, Californians see the wealthy awash in school choice, the poor with few options and, surprisingly, the middle class with some — but not a lot — of choices in selecting a school, a poll released Thursday
- RCCS Head of School: Voucher students come with significant academic challenges
- > Oct 4, 7:09 AM: Rock County Christian School Head of School Tim Befus said about three quarters of its voucher students are coming to the school with significant academic challenges. It's part of the reason he said the school has mixed results on
- Florida’s private school vouchers yield long-term gains for students, study finds
- > Oct 4, 5:20 AM: A new study by a Washington, D.C.-based think tank has found low-income students in Florida who attend private schools with the help of a controversial, state-approved voucher program are more likely to enroll in and graduate from
- The fight to save school choice continues
- Oct 4, 5:04 AM: The Save Our Schools Arizona initiative to halt the expansion of vouchers for school choice until citizens have an opportunity to vote on the matter next November continues its challenge in Maricopa County Superior Court.
- Bill Links Private School Tax Break To Public School Funding
- > Oct 3, 6:20 AM: Illinois’ new school funding plan — approved in August and hailed as a historic change — relies on the legislature to give every school the same state aid it got last year, plus push another $350 million through a new formula. That
- Parents go parochial after losing faith in public
- > Oct 3, 5:37 AM: Vouchers made it possible for the Catholic family of eight to send their children to parochial schools, with one currently attending Bishop Luers High School and two at Saint John the Baptist. Three of their children are in
- Waiting In The Dark: In NOLA, School Choice Brings Early Mornings, Long Bus Rides
- > Oct 3, 4:39 AM: New Orleans is one of few cities in the country that's all in on charter schools. More than 90 percent of Orleans Parish public school students attend charter schools. Leaders of the city's post-Katrina education overhaul tout
- State’s plan could go national
- > Oct 2, 7:04 AM: That speech garnered attention nationally, and in May Rodriguez was standing beside U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos as a special guest at a conference in Indianapolis. That's because Indiana's voucher program – the largest in
- Traditional schools hold ground amid growing choices
- Oct 2, 5:22 AM: Improving school grades, aggressive marketing and a breadth of specialty programs helped South Florida’s traditional schools retain students this year amid a growing number of choices, district officials say.
- Austin School Expo gives parents a glimpse at various schooling options
- > Oct 2, 5:01 AM: The Austin School Expo is an annual event that offers parents a chance to explore different schooling options for their kids. The expo will provide free information about different day cares, homeschooling groups, extracurricular