- If Nebraska Legislature debates school choice bill, the price tag could be a snag
- Jan 15, 6:27 AM: More than 25 years have passed since the Nebraska Legislature last debated a proposal to throw state support behind students attending private schools.
- New cyber, engineering magnet school coming to Huntsville
- Jan 12, 6:51 AM: A new magnet school focusing on cyber technology and engineering will be established in Huntsville, Gov. Kay Ivey announced during her State of the State address.
- Poll: Miss. parents support school choice
- Jan 11, 8:00 AM: In a state that often ranks last in public education, a recent poll of voters found an overwhelming amount of support for education savings accounts and hence education choices.
- School voucher debate unlikely on Tennessee’s Capitol Hill this year
- Jan 11, 6:03 AM: As Tennessee state lawmakers get back to work this week, they’ll deal with a lot of K-12 education issues, but this year school vouchers likely will not be one of them.
- Exploring school choice in IN as KY could follow suit
- > Jan 11, 5:46 AM: The program launched in 2011 with the intent of giving parents equal access to choose their child's education in private, public or charters schools in Indiana. According to EdChoice, there were 34,299 participating students for
- BPS website glitch creates confusion for parents registering for schools
- Jan 11, 5:44 AM: A technological glitch caused confusion among parents and students yesterday trying to sign up for school next year, school leaders said.
- Parents know best? Lawmakers hear pitch for school choice for all
- Jan 10, 5:46 AM: A hearing on Tuesday foreshadowed the emotional debate lawmakers will face as they consider increasing the number of students who receive state funds to attend private schools.
- The Philly school choice system no one is talking about
- > Jan 10, 5:42 AM: Philly has long operated its own internal school choice system. If a school has open seats, parents from outside the area can line up to take them. This phenomenon is so common in the higher grades, only a handful of high schools
- State Chamber’s ‘OK2030’ strategic plan recommends school choice
- Jan 9, 7:16 AM: The proposed reforms include expanded open transfer policies for public schools, establishment of a public charter school authorizer and creation of Education Savings Accounts.
- Private Schools in Illinois Attract $36 Million via Tax Credit Program
- > Jan 9, 6:46 AM: Beginning this year in Illinois, people and corporations donating up to $1.3 million for private school scholarships can get a 75% credit toward their state income tax. This was a controversial but bipartisan concept, adopted last
- Republican senator proposes more oversight for state voucher schools
- > Jan 9, 6:30 AM: Florida provides little oversight of its scholarship programs for private schools, often called school vouchers, that some schools hire teachers without college degrees, hold classes in aging strip malls and falsify fire or health
- Congress Changed 529 College Savings Plans, And Now States Are Nervous
- > Jan 8, 8:27 AM: After Congress' rewrite of the tax code, parents can now use 529 plans to cover tuition not only at colleges and universities but also at private elementary and high schools. That's a big, sudden expansion, and it has some experts
- Simmons proposes more oversight for state voucher schools
- Jan 8, 8:25 AM: Simmons filed a bill late Friday that would require private schools that take state scholarships to hire teachers with college degrees and to have owners who were free of recent bankruptcies.
- Plenty of choices: Charter school enrollment periods, areas of focus vary
- > Jan 8, 7:33 AM: Approximately 9 percent of K-12 students in Cache County are currently enrolled in public charter schools, a total of 2,600, compared to 23,500 enrolled in local district schools, according to data from the Utah State Board of
- Boylan Holds Forum On State Tax Credit Scholarship Program
- > Jan 8, 7:29 AM: In the education-funding bill signed by the Governor in September, private schools are handed an olive branch. People and companies who donate to private school scholarships are given a tax credit worth 75% of their donation. On
- Thousands march, call on Ducey and Republican lawmakers to fully fund public schools
- > Jan 8, 6:58 AM: Thousands of people lined the streets on Saturday morning near the state Capitol, calling for greater public-education funding and blasting the expansion of a school-voucher program that allows families to use public money for
- Northwest Arkansas school choice festival returns
- Jan 8, 6:48 AM: Organizers of the 2018 Northwest Arkansas School Choice Festival are looking to build on last year's inaugural event and provide more information about local educational options.
- Elementary Schools showcase programs to parents for school choice
- > Jan 8, 5:52 AM: January is School Choice Month in the Eugene 4J District, and families had a chance on Saturday to check out the options for their kids. When looking at the numerous elementary schools to choose from, each has its own specialty,
- Senate president sees tricky course to rein in tuition tax credit
- > Jan 5, 7:29 AM: Altering a cap on corporate tax credits for private school scholarships will require a two-thirds majority vote in both chambers of the Arizona Legislature.That’s no easy task for Senate President Steve Yarbrough, who in his last
- The ABCs of Illinois’ New Private School Scholarships, Tax Credit Program
- > Jan 5, 7:26 AM: Within a few days, contributors have so far pledged $38.5 million to the controversial endeavor, which is celebrated by advocates of school choice but derided by teachers unions and other critics as a subversion of the public