- School Choice Fight in Iowa May Preview the One Facing Trump
- > Mar 21, 7:15 AM: Despite Republican control of the governor’s mansion and both houses of the State Legislature, proposals to significantly expand school choice programs in Iowa are stalled, at least for now. The pushback has come from groups
- School Tours Help Kansas City Parents Navigate Choice
- Mar 21, 6:21 AM: In a city with so many school options, it isn’t always easy for parents to choose where to send their children.
- Magnet schools in Cumberland County could provide options, retain students
- Mar 21, 6:09 AM: Cumberland County Schools' plan seeking money to bring magnet schools to the area is rooted in more than just expanding educational opportunities for children.
- Voucher-Like Bill Revived in Senate Committee
- > Mar 21, 6:07 AM: A controversial bill that would establish education savings accounts to be used at parents' discretion to fund private school and other education costs passed in a voice vote with some dissent in the Senate Education committee
- Nebraska Voucher Program
- Mar 21, 5:54 AM: Vouchers for private schools are being proposed in Nebraska. But vouchers may have minimal effects in rural areas of the state.
- New memo shows higher private school voucher payments
- Mar 21, 5:04 AM: Taxpayer-funded payments to children choosing to attend private schools using a voucher will increase an estimated $217 per-student in each of the next two years.
- Republicans unveil new education savings account bill
- Mar 21, 4:47 AM: Republicans on Monday rolled out their revamped school voucher plan after the Nevada Supreme Court found the 2015 version unconstitutional.
- Senate Education Committee taking up school choice bill
- Mar 21, 4:43 AM: The leading piece of legislation subsidizing private school tuition — one of the most controversial bills this session — will get its first hearing Tuesday in the Senate Public Education Committee.
- Should state Allow tax-credit donations to Public Schools?
- > Mar 20, 6:05 AM: Since 2013, Oklahoma taxpayers have been allowed to take a state income-tax credit in exchange for donations made to private schools. Now, a state lawmaker and others are wondering: Why not offer tax credits for donations to public
- High anxiety as SF public school assignments run late
- > Mar 20, 5:22 AM: A school district glitch has parents biting their nails in San Francisco this week. Thousands of dollars are on the line for families that are prepared to lay out hefty deposits for private schools by this week’s deadlines — but
- Texas Senate panel takes up far-reaching ‘school choice’ reform
- > Mar 20, 5:07 AM: Senate Bill 3 creates “education savings accounts” where — depending on income — parents could get anywhere from $5,000 to $8,000 of their taxes back to spend on their child’s education. Authored by Chair of the Senate Education
- Thousands of students apply to OCPS magnet programs every year
- Mar 17, 7:14 AM: The application process began in November with a deadline set for Feb. 15. But with so many applicants - 3,906 to be exact - the district reported that not all students will be placed in a magnet program.
- Norris Says Proposed School Voucher Legislation ‘Problematic’
- Mar 17, 6:22 AM: Senate Majority Leader Mark Norris expressed reservations Wednesday, March 15, about legislation allowing tax dollars to be used to send low-income students in struggling public schools to private schools.
- Education savings account bill fails, other school bills advance
- > Mar 17, 5:02 AM: A bill to create accounts parents could use to send their children to private or charter schools failed in the House on Thursday. Also Thursday, a House committee advanced bills to move the dates of school elections and cap school
- Shelby County Educators Spar With DeBerry Over Voucher Bill
- > Mar 16, 6:33 AM: Collierville resident Sonya H. Smith and DeBerry exchanged heated words after the House Education Administration & Planning Committee dismissed, clearly disagreeing on the potential impact of a pilot program that would enable
- Robust school choice and strong public schools – can US have both?
- Mar 15, 7:16 AM: Cities with many charter schools – like Washington and Cleveland – are finding tension but also collaboration between public schools and school choice alternatives.
- Are school vouchers good for education? That debate is playing out in Indiana
- > Mar 15, 6:47 AM: Indiana is one of nearly 30 states that offer vouchers or similar programs with the goal of allowing parents to use public funds for private schooling. When the state launched the program, it was designed for low-income students.
- Shelby County Educators, DeBerry Spar Over Voucher Bill
- Mar 15, 5:52 AM: A group of Shelby County teachers and parents disappointed that voucher legislation was put off until next week turned their ire Tuesday, March 14, on Rep. John DeBerry, and he responded in kind.
- Arkansas Plan To Send State Dollars To Private Schools Advancing In Amended Form
- > Mar 15, 5:51 AM: A scaled back education bill to create a voucher-like program – which channels public dollars to private schools through individual education savings accounts- is headed to the Arkansas House floor. On Tuesday a legislative
- Top 3 reasons Congress should support school choice in Washington, DC (CER in the news)
- > Mar 14, 7:15 AM: It took a while, but an education bill of immediate importance to children in Washington, D.C., schools, and of symbolic importance to every child in the country, was passed by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee