- Illinois lawmakers push for vouchers for private schools
- Aug 8, 6:22 AM: As lawmakers continue to work on a funding formula, another component of the legislation could mean a change in where you send your child to school.
- Parents say they have enough signatures to stall Arizona school-voucher expansion
- > Aug 8, 5:15 AM: A huge expansion of Arizona's controversial school-voucher program is expected to be put on hold Tuesday, as a grass-roots group says it will file enough signatures to at least temporarily prevent the law from taking
- Researchers: Vouchers Not Enough For Some To Attend Private Schools
- Aug 7, 6:36 AM: Researchers conducted focus groups and surveys with both groups and recently released one evaluation based on parents' perspectives and another based on input from private school administrators.
- GOP senator wants to bring next generation of school vouchers to Pa.
- > Aug 7, 6:32 AM: Freshman Sen. John DiSanto, a Republican from Dauphin County, on Tuesday intends to do his part to make that happen by unveiling his legislation to establish education savings accounts for those who live in attendance areas served
- Kansas Private Tuition Tax Credit Program Sees Early Growth
- Aug 7, 6:31 AM: Kansas’ private tuition tax credit program doubled in size in the 2016-2017 school year and appears likely to expand again after lawmakers voted to enhance it this session.
- More Than 100,000 Florida Students Receiving School Vouchers
- Aug 7, 6:27 AM: More than 100,000 Florida students are enrolled in the state's main private school voucher program. Step Up for Students, the largest organization that administers the program, said enrollment hit 100,238 on Thursday.
- Group Seeking School Voucher Bill Repeal to File Petitions
- Aug 7, 6:24 AM: A group opposed to a major private school voucher expansion bill signed by Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey plans to file petitions that could block the law.
- School Vouchers For Broad Swath of Families On The Table In School Funding Fight
- > Aug 7, 6:16 AM: Roughly 67 percent of Illinois families could qualify to send their children to private schools using diverted taxpayer money under a proposal being considered by legislators attempting to break a stalemate that’s threatening
- Cross Over Academy: “We’re a school that does home education”
- > Aug 7, 6:03 AM: "It’s not a public school and it’s not a charter school,” explains Darryl Owens Jr., founder and administrator of Cross Over Academy. “We’re simply home education where we’ve allowed other families to come in and educate with us.
- Texas House panel scraps Senate’s private school scholarship proposal
- Aug 7, 5:47 AM: The Texas House Public Education Committee has agreed to scrap a priority measure in the Senate that would have created a scholarship program to help students with disabilities pay for private school.
- Amarillo, Canyon School Districts Oppose Vouchers and “School Choice”
- Aug 7, 5:44 AM: Some Texas Panhandle School districts are standing up to what they see is unfair treatment of public school students by the Texas Legislature.
- Where do Knox County students want to go to school?
- Aug 4, 7:36 AM: When Beaumont Magnet Academy Principal Windy Clayton welcomes students back to school Monday, a little more than half of them will be coming from neighborhoods around the school.
- More Louisiana families are home-schooling
- > Aug 4, 5:52 AM: According to figures from the state department of education, there are as many as 26,000 students being instructed at home. Another 4,000-plus online charter school students are being educated virtually at home rather than in a
- Illinois Republicans Pushing For School-Choice System
- Aug 4, 5:25 AM: Illinois Republicans are pushing for a new program similar to school vouchers as part of negotiations over the education funding formula.
- Vouchers allow low-income families to attend private schools, but cost is still a challenge
- Aug 3, 7:04 AM: North Carolina families using taxpayer money to attend private schools are enjoying the educational opportunity but struggle to cover all the new financial costs, according to new studies by N.C. State University.
- Texas Panhandle school districts decry school choice legislation
- Aug 3, 5:13 AM: A bill that would authorize up to $60 million in grants for special needs students to attend private schools was officially referred on Wednesday to the House Committee on Public Education.
- Little support in House committee for private school scholarships
- > Aug 2, 5:49 AM: Several members of a House panel on Tuesday showed little support for a bill that would help supplement private school tuition for schoolchildren. Gov. Greg Abbott has made such a bill a special legislative session agenda item and
- Parents consider other education options with school funding uncertainty
- > Aug 1, 5:43 AM: Many schools may not have the funding to stay open the full year or open at all. Remember, if no funding formula is passed, schools won't see any funding. District 186 in Springfield has said they will be able to stay open until
- A New Blue-State Experiment with School Reform (By Jeanne Allen)
- > Jul 31, 7:16 AM: However, Governor Rauner has an opportunity to craft a compromise solution that provides the key to better education for all kids and ensures that schools open on time. The grand bargain would be simple: He agrees to Democrats’
- How a U.S. Supreme Court case may help turn the tide for educational choice (By Jeanne Allen)
- > Jul 31, 7:15 AM: A Supreme Court decision that could change the balance of power in schools from system power to parent power is well-known in policy circles but not by the general public. Yet anyone with an interest in great education should be