- Commentary: States are favoring school choice at a steep cost to public education
- > Apr 24, 7:45 AM: Teacher strikes are generating a healthy focus on how far public education funding has fallen over the past decade. The full explanation, however, goes beyond basic funding cuts. It involves systematic advantages in terms of
- Parents turned away from school registration due to large crowds
- Apr 24, 6:06 AM: Parents in Orleans Parish are frustrated after many of them were turned away during an open school enrollment session Monday as crowds were too massive.
- Erie County school districts oppose voucher bill
- > Apr 24, 5:46 AM: Legislation that would create education savings account remains stalled in committee in state Senate. Nearly all of Erie County’s 13 school districts have lined up to oppose a piece of school-choice legislation that could reshape
- States with school choice increase their ‘Educational Progress’ score
- > Apr 23, 8:28 AM: The report card from the National Assessment of Educational Progress last week returned some dismal results as measured by student test scores, except for a few successes in states with expansive and long-standing school choice
- School choice bill fading fast
- Apr 23, 5:37 AM: The prospects for passage of a school choice bill have gone from bad to worse as SB 193 limps toward the legislative deadline, now only weeks away.
- Chicopee expands School Choice program, hopes to raise more money for education
- Apr 23, 4:52 AM: With the potential to raise nearly $500,000 in additional money by taking in students from other communities, the School Committee voted to continue and expand the School Choice program for the upcoming year.
- New legislation aims to diversify New York City’s elite high schools
- Apr 20, 6:25 AM: Legislation introduced Thursday aimed at integrating New York City’s specialized high schools skirted one big issue: the admissions test.
- Commentary: Nevada’s Opportunity Scholarships: A win for students and taxpayers alike
- > Apr 20, 6:12 AM: According to the study, each time a student is awarded an Opportunity Scholarship financed by Modified Business Tax credits, the state realizes a net-savings in education spending. These savings accrue proportionately to student
- Denver touts record participation in school choice process
- Apr 20, 5:22 AM: Even as more Denver families participated in the annual public school lottery this year, about four out of five still got into a first-choice school, district officials announced Thursday.
- Opinion: Study shows charter school performance debunking DeVos critics
- > Apr 19, 7:24 AM: There is good news about the progress of the nation's schools, though the secretary of education's opponents may not want to see it. The results deliver a deep blow to their unfounded arguments but affirm the choices many families
- Opinion: School choice works, but it could work better
- > Apr 19, 7:23 AM: School reformers agree that one essential step to improving education is giving consumers—parents and students—access to better information when choosing a school. To help accomplish this, The Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty
- Betsy DeVos Seeks Private School Vouchers for Military Families
- > Apr 19, 7:22 AM: FEDERAL EDUCATION officials are exploring a new benefit that would give military families additional resources for their children's schooling – despite the fact that the proposal faces significant opposition from within the
- Bill allowing students to use tax dollars for school raises concerns
- Apr 19, 6:04 AM: At least two school boards in the local area –Montgomery and Muncy Area school districts — passed resolutions this week expressing their rejection of the piece of legislation.
- Educators discuss impact of school choice at WSU forum
- Apr 19, 5:09 AM: During a debate on school choice in America, Detroit schools Superintendent Nikolai Vitti said Wednesday he could speak first-hand about what it was like to walk into a school system decimated by unregulated choice.
- A Polk Perspective: School choice scholarships help students like me
- > Apr 18, 5:49 AM: Getting out of poverty is not possible without education. At both public and private schools I had dedicated educators, but it was at the private school where I thrived. Learning is not so black and white, and different students
- N.H. school voucher bill dealt blow by House subcommittee
- Apr 18, 5:45 AM: A controversial bill allowing families to put state education dollars toward private schooling options was dealt a blow Tuesday when a subpanel of lawmakers voted, 7-1, to refer it to interim study.
- Federal suit alleges LPSS staff rigged Schools of Choice lotteries
- Apr 18, 5:06 AM: A federal lawsuit accuses Lafayette Parish School System administrators of manipulating the Schools of Choice lottery and denying some students access to English language services.
- Opinion: Let’s get real about tuition savings accounts
- > Apr 17, 6:12 AM: Allowing families to utilize their own savings to pay for K-12 tuition seems straightforward, but Colorado law doesn’t match up with the new federal law. Colorado allows 529 withdrawals only for specific purposes that do not
- Opinion: Education savings accounts will help more Pa. children attend the best schools for them
- > Apr 17, 5:46 AM: While Pennsylvania families have plenty of choices when it comes to finding their child’s favorite sport, they have far too few choices when it comes to finding the school that is best for their child. As a result, many children
- A third of New Orleans students don’t get into one of their top 3 schools of choice
- > Apr 17, 5:23 AM: About a third of all students who applied to public schools in New Orleans couldn’t get one of their top choices for the coming school year, officials said Monday. It is the lowest match rate since officials launched a centralized