- Parkland shooting weighs heavy on Florida education debate, influencing major school choice package
- > Feb 21, 5:44 AM: The Florida Senate Education Committee unanimously passed the House's mega school choice package bill on Tuesday, but not before it made some major changes influenced by the Parkland shooting that left 17 people dead less than one
- Public education rally held at Statehouse
- > Feb 20, 8:15 AM: The future of public schools and public school students was the focus of a rally on Monday at the Statehouse. There were a number of speakers and topics. The focus was on publicly funded vouchers for students to attend private
- Bill would create new opportunities for Missourians with disabilities
- > Feb 20, 8:08 AM: The Missouri House of Representatives’ Ways and Means Committee heard public testimony Monday on a bill that would increase financial fluidity between two types of savings accounts to create new opportunities for people living with
- Guilford County Schools holding magnet school forums, seeking input
- Feb 20, 8:03 AM: A team from an organization called Magnet Schools of America this week is visiting and reviewing each of Guilford County Schools’ 54 magnet programs at the request of the district.
- 4 districts appeal school-choice exemption denials
- Feb 20, 7:39 AM: Four districts that sought 2018-19 school year exemptions from participating in Public School Choice Act student transfers across district lines have been denied or partially denied by the Arkansas Department of Education.
- D.C. schools chancellor bats away calls for resignation after he sought special treatment
- > Feb 20, 6:50 AM: Five members of the D.C. Council and the city’s auditor say Chancellor Antwan Wilson should step down following revelations that he sought special treatment to enroll his daughter in a top D.C. high school, just two months after
- Empower Illinois concerned proposed bill will jeopardize private scholarships
- Feb 20, 6:29 AM: Empower Illinois Executive Director Myles Mendoza supports legislation to fully fund public schools but not if it will disadvantage those considering private schools.
- Plans For School Voucher Expansion In Florida Sparks Fiery Debate
- > Feb 20, 5:54 AM: Two main views tend to emerge when it comes to the topic of school vouchers. Advocates say they give disadvantaged kids access to better schools. But opponents say vouchers drain money and resources from traditional public schools.
- 4 districts appeal school-choice exemption denials
- Feb 20, 5:45 AM: Four districts that sought 2018-19 school year exemptions from participating in Public School Choice Act student transfers across district lines have been denied or partially denied by the Arkansas Department of Education.
- Suit Challenges Sheff Magnet-School Lottery Process
- > Feb 19, 9:38 AM: The lawsuit, filed in federal court on behalf of eight Hartford families, also charges that a policy of leaving magnet-school seats empty rather than admit minority students on wait lists runs afoul of constitutional limits on the
- Researcher: N.H. school choice bill could create ‘tax shelter’ for rich
- Feb 19, 6:29 AM: A bill to expand New Hampshire’s Education Tax Credit program has some worried the state could create a tax shelter for the wealthy.
- NC school choice leader joins Betsy DeVos-founded group that promotes vouchers
- Feb 16, 8:08 AM: One of the leaders in North Carolina’s school choice movement is changing jobs to take a leadership position in a national school choice advocacy group.
- Republican-led ‘school choice’ bill won’t advance this year in Iowa House
- Feb 16, 5:51 AM: House Education Committee Chairman Rep. Walt Rogers said a controversial plan to enact an education savings account program and expand charter school access will not advance this year.
- House Education introduces new private school scholarship bill
- Feb 15, 7:40 AM: The House Education Committee voted Wednesday to introduce a bill that would create new scholarships students could use to pursue an education outside the public school system.
- Under Florida House proposal, going to the store could mean funding school vouchers
- > Feb 15, 7:06 AM: Most people don't consider walking into a corner store and buying a gallon of milk to be a controversial action. But under a new proposal in the Florida House, part of that sales tax could pay for school vouchers that have been a
- Legislature Slips School Voucher Change In Class Size Bill
- > Feb 15, 7:05 AM: Among those measures tucked into the bill is a major change to the state's newest school choice program. The provision greatly expands eligibility for the state's new Education Savings Account. The accounts are state-funded debit
- Palmyra superintendent reiterates concerns about charter school, voucher bills
- > Feb 15, 6:58 AM: The Palmyra School Board heard an update this week on some state legislative initiatives that pose a financial worry for Superintendent Kirt Malone. In a report at the board's monthly meeting, Malone expressed reservations about
- Detroit parents, teachers and youth push back on ‘school choice’ at education town hall
A movement made up of 25 organizations from across that country — including the NAACP, Advancement Project, Dignity in Schools and Journey for Justice Alliance — the group is working to support racial justice and end educational >
Feb 15, 6:11 AM:
- School voucher tax credits comprise 46% of Florida House tax cut plan
- > Feb 14, 6:36 AM: The largest part of the House package, an estimated $154 million a year reduction in state revenue, would come through sales-tax credits that businesses could take to finance voucher-like scholarships in the Gardiner Scholarship