- Randi Weingarten’s History Lesson: School Choice Helps the Poor (by Jeanne Allen)
- Jul 27, 7:20 AM: Some would have us stop advocating for all parent choice, including vouchers, and, instead, accept the limited options available to low-income and working-class Black families. We must reject those limits.
- DeVos critics cling to status quo of mediocre public schools (CER in the news)
- > Jul 27, 7:13 AM: The bottom line in all this is that we must be careful to recognize that many of America’s public schools are good and some are great. However, vast numbers of them are mediocre at best, and significant increases in funding will
- NAACP: School choice not the answer to improving education for black students
- > Jul 27, 7:12 AM: Education for black students in the United States has long been unequal and inadequate, but the solution to that problem does not lie in the school choice movement, NAACP leaders said at the organization’s national conference
- Property Tax And School Voucher Moved Quickly In Texas Senate, But House May Say Not So Fast
- Jul 26, 5:51 AM: The House has repeatedly voted against vouchers, and in the regular session they did not even take a vote on the property tax measure.
- School districts would pay for large share of vouchers under plan, fiscal bureau says
- > Jul 26, 5:45 AM: A budget plan proposed by Senate Republicans would increase funding for the state's three main private school voucher programs by nearly $60 million over the next two years, according to an analysis by the Legislative Fiscal Bureau
- Education advocates spar over DeVos’ school choice agenda (CER in the news)
- Jul 25, 7:49 AM: There isn't much of a consensus on whether school choice policies, specifically voucher programs, are effective or not.
- Black Education Leaders Slam Teachers Union For Comparing School Choice To Segregation
- Jul 25, 7:49 AM: Black school choice advocates and education reformers criticized a teachers union president who compared school choice to segregation during a conference call Monday.
- Senate approves bills on “private school choice” and school finance study
- Jul 25, 5:20 AM: The Texas Senate tentatively passed legislation Monday to subsidize private school tuition and a bill to study the system for funding public schools — two of six bills the upper chamber discussed Monday.
- AFT’s Randi Weingarten blasts school-choice reforms as ‘polite cousins of segregation’ (CER in news)
School’s out, but the battle between the teachers’ unions and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos over school choice isn’t taking a summer break. Randi Weingarten, American Federation of Teachers president, argued in a fiery speech >
Jul 24, 7:58 AM:
- ‘It Gave Us a Choice When We Didn’t Have One’: Private School Choice Participants
- Jul 24, 7:57 AM: Private school choice was among the only education pledges made by President Donald Trump on the campaign trail and has been a decades-long focus of advocacy by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.
- Critics of vouchers say they’re marred by racism and exacerbate segregation. Are they right?
- > Jul 24, 7:55 AM: "If vouchers are the polite cousins of segregation, then most urban school districts are segregation’s direct descendants,” responded Kevin Chavous of the American Federation for Children, the school voucher group that U.S.
- Number of school choice participants increases again in Worcester
- Jul 24, 6:08 AM: Once again, more students left the city schools through school choice this past year than the year before, according to a new report from the school department.
- Hartford’s Departing School Choice Leader Says Sheff Goals Should Be Expanded
- > Jul 24, 6:05 AM: Hartford's efforts to racially integrate its schools -- based on the 20-year-old Sheff vs. O'Neill court case -- have been considered a model for magnet programs across the state and country. But recent problems surfaced when the
- Senate panel OKs private school scholarship, funding commission bills
- Jul 24, 6:03 AM: The Senate Education Committee passed two key bills on Friday, including one that would create a scholarship program for students looking to enroll in private school.
- Enrollment rises at NC charter, private, home schools; traditional public schools see decline
- Jul 24, 5:48 AM: Enrollment in charter, private and home schools in North Carolina is on the rise. Meanwhile, traditional public schools' numbers have declined, according to data posted by the state.
- DeVos: Backlash to School Choice a ‘Badge of Honor’
- > Jul 21, 8:10 AM: Conservative state legislators pushing school choice policies should consider opposition from “the left” a “badge of honor,” Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos told those gathered at the annual conference of the American
- Betsy DeVos Speech Greeted By Protesters She Calls ‘Defenders Of The Status Quo’
- Jul 21, 8:07 AM: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos spoke to the annual meeting of the American Legislative Exchange Council, or ALEC, on Thursday in Denver, but protests from left-wing activists and teacher groups started Wednesday.
- Fewer kids in NC are attending traditional public schools. What does that mean?
- > Jul 21, 5:49 AM: Supporters of school choice say families are benefiting from expanded options provided by state lawmakers, including through the use of vouchers for private schools. But some critics say it’s part of a push to privatize education
- Senate panel to hear ‘school choice,’ finance bill Friday
- Jul 21, 5:33 AM: The Senate Education Committee on Friday will consider two bills that address many of the major education-related issues on the special session call, including school finance and ‘private school choice.'
- Protest of Betsy DeVos reignites debate on school choice
- Jul 20, 8:15 AM: Hundreds of Coloradans protested U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ visit in Denver on Wednesday, largely criticizing her stance on using tax dollars to fund private schools.