- Conservatives to DeVos: Be careful what you wish for on school choice
- Mar 29, 7:35 AM: By her own admission, U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos came here to push the USA’s public education system to support not just public schools, but also private and religious schools.
- Florida House scales back wide-ranging school choice plan
- Mar 29, 6:11 AM: A wide-ranging school choice bill was stripped down before passing a key subcommittee Tuesday, but the shape of the final legislation is still in flux as it nears the House floor.
- Panel OKs school savings plan
- Mar 29, 5:59 AM: A House panel on Tuesday narrowly approved a revived attempt to provide education funds to parents looking for options other than traditional public schools for their children.
- Senator considers shrinking voucher bill to boost chances of passage
- > Mar 29, 5:17 AM: The lawmaker carrying the Senate's "school choice" bill plans to narrow the scope of the measure in hopes of winning over rural legislators hesitant to vote for the bill that would allow Texas parents to use public money to pay
- Senate increases tax credits for scholarships
- Mar 29, 5:15 AM: The Georgia Senate on Tuesday approved an increase of the cap on the state’s tax credit for private school scholarships program.
- School choice can put some rural districts at risk of losing funds
- > Mar 28, 7:09 AM: Epps said the public school system is a vital part of this community. It’s one of the largest employers in Talbot County, where one-quarter of the population lives in poverty. And there are no private or charter schools in the
- Mixed feelings on school voucher bill as it heads to Senate
- Mar 28, 6:03 AM: Some Central Texas public schools and teachers groups are voicing their opposition to the school voucher bill, which is headed to the full Texas Senate for a vote.
- N.H. lawmakers set to pick which school choice bill will go to Sununu
- Mar 28, 4:54 AM: A bill allowing school boards to tuition students to private schools will almost certainly land on GOP Gov. Chris Sununu’s desk this session. But exactly what kinds of schools would benefit is still up in the air.
- Bill would quicken start of new voucher schools
- Mar 27, 6:53 AM: Public school advocates and education reformers are clashing over a legislative proposal that would make it easier for private schools to immediately enter Indiana's voucher system.
- School choice options gain momentum in North Dakota
- > Mar 27, 6:21 AM: No charter schools operate in North Dakota, and there are few virtual schools. However, recent state data shows more parents are opting for private schools and homeschooling, signaling, perhaps, that more parents are already
- Governor vetoes Republicans’ ‘educational choice’ legislation
- Mar 27, 5:26 AM: Gov. Terry McAuliffe on Thursday vetoed several bills that Republicans say would have increased school choice but McAuliffe said would have undermined public schools.
- WV Senate Ed passes bills to cut $79M, allow vouchers, tax credits
- > Mar 27, 5:13 AM: West Virginia’s Senate Education Committee on Thursday night passed a bill that would cut state funding to public education next fiscal year by about $79 million but newly authorize county school boards to raise regular levy
- Do vouchers give kids better educations? Ohio test results are mixed
- Mar 27, 4:56 AM: The school voucher programs that some federal and state officials want to expand have mixed test results in Ohio that make it unclear how much more students learn than if they had stayed in their local public schools.
- Cobb senators clash over school vouchers
- Mar 27, 4:56 AM: State Sen. Hunter Hill, R-Smyrna, tried to tack on a school voucher amendment to this year’s legislation addressing struggling schools, but only ended up butting heads with another Cobb senator.
- Are voucher students improving?
- > Mar 27, 4:49 AM: When supporters laid the groundwork for what would become Indiana’s vast private school voucher program, they made a simple promise: Provide Hoosier schoolchildren in struggling public schools access to a better
- Spanish, Japanese and alternative programs; hundreds wait for results on the school lottery
- > Mar 24, 6:12 AM: Thursday, at 5 p.m., is the deadline to apply for the Anchorage School District lottery. The lottery gives options to parents who want their children to attend a neighborhood school outside their zone, charter school or an
- Why this Memphis Republican supports school vouchers — but is concerned about accountability
- Mar 24, 5:55 AM: Only one school voucher bill remains under consideration in Tennessee, and it’s all about Memphis.
- Milwaukee Choice School Sues MPS Over Transportation Costs
- Mar 24, 5:53 AM: The tug-of-war continues between public and private choice schools in Milwaukee over transportation costs.
- Parents learn more about school choice
- Mar 24, 5:50 AM: The conversation on school choice has taken center stage this year as more and more residents throw their voices into the complex conversation.
- Texas Senate Education Committee passes school choice legislation
- Mar 24, 4:54 AM: After little debate Thursday, the Senate Education Committee voted 7-3 to pass legislation that would create two public programs subsidizing private school tuition and homeschooling expenses.