- Court rejects appeal on temporary freeze of $2.5M in state funds for private schools
- Aug 17, 5:08 AM: The Michigan Court of Appeals has denied a request by the state to appeal a temporary freeze on $2.5 million included in the state budget to reimburse private schools for health and safety mandates.
- Private schools see textbook funds cut from state budget
- Aug 15, 5:45 AM: Cuts in the Mississippi Department of Education are having an effect on private schools. These cuts could cost some schools hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- North Ridgeville won’t bus kids to 2 private Avon schools
- > Aug 4, 7:34 AM: State law says the district has a responsibility to bus students to a nondistrict school if it falls within a 30-minute radius. However, the state gives the district the option to pay families a stipend should the board find that
- Judge upholds ruling barring state money for private schools
- Jul 28, 6:25 AM: A state judge has upheld a ruling that puts a stop — for now — to Michigan's plans to provide public money to private schools to help them cover the cost of complying with state mandates.
- Local private school supports bill requiring employee background checks
- Jul 21, 7:06 AM: Governor Walker has signed legislation that requires private schools in Wisconsin’s voucher program to conduct employee background checks.
- New hybrid private school is the 1st of its kind in the Lehigh Valley
Providence Hybrid Academy merges homeschooling with two days of teacher instruction at the new academy located at Christ Lutheran Church on Easton Road, on the border of Lower Saucon Township and Bethlehem.
Jul 13, 5:49 AM:
- Judge’s ruling bars state money to private schools — for now
- Jul 7, 6:15 AM: A judge this afternoon issued a preliminary injunction that bars the state of Michigan from distributing any of the money the Legislature allocated to private schools to help them pay for state mandates.
- Many factors stressing Catholic schools throughout Massachusetts
- Jun 30, 6:34 AM: When summer vacation ends in about two months, at least three Catholic schools in Massachusetts will not be welcoming students back for a new school year.
- Sumter Academy shuts down following dwindling enrollment
- > Jun 22, 6:58 AM: The closure of the school comes at the same time the University of West Alabama is in the process of forming a university-affiliated charter school over the next couple of years. Nettles believes the charter school was a
- A School That Provides The One Constant In Homeless Children’s Lives
- > Jun 20, 7:16 AM: Positive Tomorrows is a small, privately funded school in the heart of Oklahoma City, designed to meet the needs of homeless children. The future of these students hinges on the one constant in their lives: the school, which
- Private schools face uphill battle for federal
- > Jun 6, 5:42 AM: Although school choice supporters are celebrating the Trump administration’s plan for funneling private school aid to the states, experts say Michigan would face huge legal obstacles in qualifying for the federal
- Catholic parents, GOP lawmakers want to challenge ban on money for private schools
- May 23, 6:07 AM: The Michigan Court of Appeals has put a lawsuit regarding state money for private schools on hold while it decides who can be part of it.
- In Some States, Donating to Private Schools Can Earn You a Profit
- > May 18, 6:51 AM: AASA, the association of the nation’s public school superintendents, released an exhaustive report Wednesday on tax credit scholarship programs like Georgia’s, which allow donors to piggyback on state and federal tax breaks — often
- Indiana private schools can get state dollars immediately thanks to a bill signed by Gov. Holcomb
- > May 2, 5:05 AM: Under a law signed by Gov. Eric Holcomb on Friday, new private schools will be able to receive state funding for student tuition from the day they open their doors. The move eliminates a one-year waiting period for private schools
- Vermont Lawmakers Want More Say In State Board’s New Private School Rules
- Apr 20, 6:00 AM: An education bill that's being debated in the Vermont Statehouse could raise some separation of power issues between the legislative and executive branches.
- Legislative panels approve more aid for private schools
- Mar 30, 5:57 AM: Michigan’s Republican-led state Legislature is pushing to increase public funding for private school activities despite a recent lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of pending payments.
- More North Dakota parents opting for private schools
- Mar 28, 4:51 AM: More parents in North Dakota are opting for private schools and home schooling as the debate regarding school choice has grown into a national conversation.
- Local private schools use public funds in variety of ways
- Mar 21, 5:26 AM: Amid debate in Ohio about the roughly $1 billion a year that goes to public charter schools, taxpayers might be unaware that a growing chunk of government money is going to private schools as well.
- How voucher dollars kept coming as a private school collapsed
- > Mar 20, 5:00 AM: An IndyStar examination of Todd Academy’s experience with school vouchers exposes a serious lack of basic fiscal controls in Indiana’s highly popular school choice system. While both traditional public schools and charter schools