- Suit: State aid ban for private schools ‘anti-Catholic’
- Apr 16, 6:00 AM: A Grand Rapids Catholic school is trying to invalidate a nearly 50-year-old ban against using state aid for private education, arguing it is “anti-Catholic” and violates the U.S. Constitution.
- Parents fight back as Sylvania Schools looks to cut private school busing
- > Mar 30, 7:53 AM: Sylvania Schools officials have already ended transportation to a handful of private schools, and are currently working to eliminate bus routes to five additional schools: Central Catholic High, Holy Trinity, Lial, St. Benedict,
- Column: Are private schools really better than public schools? A look at the data.
- > Mar 28, 7:20 AM: It is commonly thought that many of these private schools provide a better education than public schools — and data published recently by the National Association of Independent Schools and Gallup find that their graduates may have
- Senate passes requirement for private schools to enroll special ed students
- > Mar 20, 6:08 AM: Federal law requires public schools to provide a free and appropriate education in the least restrictive environment to children with learning disabilities. Whenever possible, these students should go to school with students who
- Private school enrollment doubles
- > Mar 19, 5:43 AM: Thanks largely to word of mouth from parents happy with their child’s experience and an assist from the state’s school voucher program, a private school in Elizabeth City has doubled its enrollment in the past three
- Hogan’s nonpublic schools funding gets ‘BOOST’ from students
- Mar 14, 5:23 AM: Hundreds of private school students, faculty, parents and supporters piled onto Lawyers Mall in Annapolis on Tuesday for a rally to support Gov. Larry Hogan’s funding for nonpublic schools.
- Legislature advances bills on private school testing, homeschool Promise eligibility
- > Mar 7, 7:08 AM: The West Virginia Senate is set to vote Wednesday on a bill (House Bill 4183) that would reduce state-mandated standardized testing requirements for most private schools in the near term but also, in the future, more closely align
- Private school with global ambition to open in D.C. and China in 2019
- > Feb 8, 7:51 AM: An education company backed by U.S. and Chinese investors is launching a global private school for students ages 3 to 18, with the first two campuses scheduled to open next year in Washington and the Chinese coastal city of
- Koch family to open new kind of private school at Wichita State University
- > Feb 5, 6:54 AM: Modeled after schools such as Acton Academy in Austin, Texas, and NuVu (pronounced “new view”) on the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Wonder will incorporate facets of the “Maker movement” and other education
- Scholarship Fund Tells Private Schools to Revise Discrimination Policies
- Feb 1, 6:47 AM: At least 60 private schools receiving tax-credit scholarships have been given three months to comply with a state law that prohibits discriminating against applicants based on disability.
- Private School Official Says Tax Credit Scholarship Program Is Rushed
- Jan 29, 7:15 AM: At least one private school official says he wishes that launch date were delayed to give schools more time to educate staff and the parent community about the process.
- Rockford-area private schools scramble for state recognition, dollars
- > Jan 26, 7:43 AM: Like hundreds of private school leaders across the state, the Freemans just don’t want their school left out next fall when the state’s new tax credit scholarships kick in. As things stood Thursday afternoon, the school, Cathedral
- State budget drops private schools entirely
- Jan 25, 7:53 AM: State Superintendent of Education John White said Tuesday the governor’s new budget would eliminate subsidized lunches and other reimbursements to private schools.
- Rauner vetoes education funding bill over private school concerns
- > Jan 9, 6:53 AM: While Rauner has listed the new funding formula as one of his top achievements as he seeks re-election, the Republican governor said Monday that lawmakers failed to address a technicality that would prevent at least 36 Catholic and
- Parents in Missouri can now claim tax deductions for private school tuition
- > Jan 8, 7:53 AM: Missouri had 110,000 private school students in the 2015-2016 school year, and Illinois had 231,300, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. By Malkus’ estimates, if every private school family took full
- New federal tax ‘loophole’ could stoke interest in private school donations in Pa.
- Jan 2, 7:59 AM: Changes to the federal tax code could encourage more Pennsylvania businesses to pump money into K-12 private schools instead of paying state taxes.
- Private school leaders agree to widen special education access
- > Dec 19, 6:11 AM: Ending a stalemate with public school interests, private school representatives have accepted the principle that special education students should be able to attend any school — private or public — just like their
- An Indianapolis private school touted by DeVos is adding 400 more seats
- Dec 13, 7:09 AM: An Indianapolis private school that is dedicated to promoting racial and economic integration is planning to grow by 50 percent in the coming years.
- One teacher, one student: a new type of school coming to Philly area
- > Nov 30, 6:44 AM: This fall, the teen decided to try a radically different approach for her senior year. She enrolled in Fusion Academy in Princeton, N.J. – a unique private school that emphasizes one-on-one instruction, with each class tailored to
- Agape doesn’t show for appeal hearing over voucher ban
- > Nov 29, 6:32 AM: State officials were scheduled to hear an appeal Tuesday from Agape Christian Academy, an Orlando private school that the Department of Education wants to ban from state voucher programs for 10 years, but the school was a