- Column: Online school accountability requires strong engagement policies
- > Jan 24, 7:45 AM: Ohio Connections Academy received its state report card, and like many traditional school districts and charters across Ohio, our school received a “D.” As the superintendent at OCA I know there is no question we must do better and
- PA Has One Of The Country’s Largest Cyber Charter Populations, Erie Lawmaker Wants To Close Th
- Jan 23, 8:45 AM: A bill that could radically reshape Pennsylvania’s cyber education landscape received a public hearing Tuesday in the House Education Committee, inspiring strong reactions from advocates and lawmakers.
- Operation Education: Are virtual charter schools helping or hurting student success?
- > Jan 23, 8:22 AM: Three of Indiana's 104 public charter schools are getting a closer look. That's because new research shows the impact of attending virtual charter schools is "uniformly negative". Virtual schools give students online instruction,
- PA Cyber’s CEO testifies against bill that would eliminate all cyber charters
- > Jan 22, 7:48 AM: In a state House hearing on Tuesday, Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School CEO Brian Hayden slammed a bill requiring school districts to offer cyber programs, saying proponents were ignoring the history behind cyber charter schools and
- West Chester wants to win back charter students with its own cyber program, and it’s not alone
- > Jan 22, 6:46 AM: As Pennsylvania’s sizable cyber charter sector continues to draw students and funding from school districts — despite posting poor academic results — West Chester’s attempt stands as the latest effort by a district to beat back the
- ‘Bazooka to a knife fight’? The plan to close Pa. cyber charter schools
- > Jan 22, 6:42 AM: The plan to close Pa. cyber charter schoolsA bill that could radically reshape Pennsylvania’s cyber education landscape received a public hearing Tuesday in the House Education Committee, inspiring strong reactions from advocates
- Plans to shut down public cyber charter schools will hurt my children | Opinion
- > Jan 20, 7:37 AM: To put it simply, his bill to end public cyber charter schools will be devastating to tens of thousands of children seeking a better education and a better future. It takes away our choice as parents to give our children the tools
- Opinion: Cyber charters transformed my struggling kids.
I am a parent and a taxpayer. Unfortunately, my elected officials don’t always believe that makes me qualified to choose the best school for my children. They’re wrong.
Jan 16, 6:21 AM:
- Low-performing online school posts unprecedented enrollment growth, again.
- > Jan 14, 9:52 AM: Despite the unorthodox arrangement and low student performance, district leaders insist the program benefits a chunk of Idaho’s home schoolers by providing them with learning resources they wouldn’t otherwise
- Online charter school fosters environment of inclusion, self-identification
- Jan 10, 7:14 AM: In this edition of Schools Rule, WILX News 10 is featuring one Lansing-area principal who is making sure every student has a safe, healthy learning environment.
- Austin-area universities see boom in online enrollment
- > Jan 9, 7:08 AM: Joseph TenBarge, the University of Texas’ assistant dean for instructional technology and facilities, runs something similar to a live TV studio. There are cameras, producers and even sometimes a “live studio
- Opinion: Schooling choices continue to expand
- > Jan 6, 7:57 AM: Families choose alternative education programs for a variety of reasons — to honor religious beliefs, prevent bullying, address learning disabilities or behavioral problems, explore more options in academics and athletics. Those
- Virtual Charter School Enrollment Grows 140 Percent Over Past Decade
- Dec 26, 8:33 AM: The number of students enrolled in public, virtual charter schools in Wisconsin has increased 140 percent over the last decade. This year, six new online charter programs went online.
- Online courses expand education in Montana
- Dec 23, 7:30 AM: With the increasing popularity of dual enrollment in college courses for high schoolers, and the awareness that not all such courses are available equally across Montana, online offerings would seem an obvious solution.
- Editorial: Virtual schools will not work without 100% broadband
- Dec 23, 7:14 AM: While there may be a lot of excitement in Charleston surrounding two new proposals put forth by the West Virginia Board of Education, one of the proposals should certainly be raising eyebrows across The Mountain State.
- Cyber charter school CEO: We’re not opposed to reform, if it’s the right kind | Opinion
Let me start off by saying this is not a rant against any and all potential reform impacting charter school operation in Pennsylvania. My organization, Agora Cyber Charter School, and I have consistently asserted our voice in >
Dec 17, 8:12 AM:
- Lawmakers accuse Epic Charter Schools of trying to intimidate them, setting ‘dangerous’ precedent wi
- > Dec 16, 8:25 AM: Rep. Sheila Dills, R-Tulsa, called the lawsuit filed Tuesday against Sen. Ron Sharp, R-Shawnee, an attempt to silence constituents whose concerns legislators are sworn to represent and an attempt to intimidate other lawmakers just
- Breaking the Cycle of Statistics: One EPIC administrator’s story
- > Dec 11, 8:31 AM: Ellison is EPIC Charter Schools’ director of college and career readiness and most at EPIC know her favorite quote is “The two most important days in anyone’s life are the day they are born and the day they figure out why.” She
- Editorial: Some students will need East’s Virtual Academy
- > Dec 11, 7:36 AM: If executed well, the Virtual Academy can serve as a good example of ways Rowan-Salisbury Schools can use its renewal flexibility for the better. The Virtual Academy will offer an online-only diploma option as well as the chance
- From car dealership to education: Trendy virtual school opens
- > Dec 11, 7:14 AM: The school with its online-based curriculum, part of a growing trend in the U.S., officially unveiled a new 22,000-square-foot home on Monday in Daphne. It’s believed to be the largest standalone building to house a virtual