- Editorial: Missouri educators must proceed cautiously with virtual learning
- > Jun 4, 6:54 AM: Expanding online course access for Missouri high school students in districts that don’t provide advanced classes to prepare students for college is a worthy idea. The Legislature recently passed and sent to the governor a bill
- Mom cites safety concerns as reason for virtual schooling
- May 31, 6:08 AM: Connie Krestel is a mother of four who was concerned about the security at her boys’ Snohomish County middle school. She enrolled her sons Dustin, 13, and Trevor, 12, at Washington Virtual Academies.
- Hope for Tallulah Charter? Board leaders negotiate with online school
- > May 31, 5:35 AM: Students at Tallulah Charter School might have an alternative to Madison Parish public schools this fall. The Rev. K. D'Wayne Grayson, board president of Tallulah Charter School, contacted The News-Star Wednesday with a message
- Dems want to pin ECOT blame on GOP in fall election: What’s really going on
- May 30, 6:17 AM: The demise of the Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow, a public online charter school, forced 12,000 students to enroll in other schools, now it is shaping up to play a major roll in the upcoming state elections.
- Public schools would have to pay for private virtual schools under new Missouri plan
- > May 30, 5:03 AM: Missouri public school students in kindergarten through 12th grade could take online courses for free, with their school district or charter school picking up the tab, under legislation that passed the Missouri House and Senate
- A rural school turns to digital education. Is it a savior or devil’s bargain?
- > May 29, 7:25 AM: But now a discussion is brewing outside of Modoc and its small school district. Advocates call the virtual school an innovation that rescued a cash-strapped small public school and offers increasingly rare learning opportunities to
- Virtual Charter Schools Fail to Make the Grade in New Mexico
- > May 29, 7:00 AM: Virtual charter schools are supposed to provide students with an online education equivalent to what they would receive at a physical school. But recent findings presented to the Legislative Education Study Committee show that
- ‘Square pegs’ avoid ‘round holes’ at online school
- > May 29, 6:14 AM: During typical school days, though, the children go to class using a computer, headset and internet connection. They are enrolled in Washington Connections Academy, an online public school. This is the school’s second year. It is
- Proposal would allow online alternative schools
- > May 29, 6:13 AM: The state’s largest virtual charter school wants to open an alternative high school for at-risk students, saying the school will better address the needs of struggling students who already attend or will enroll in its regular
- Proposal Would Expand Unproven Concept: Online-Only Alternative Schools
- > May 29, 4:56 AM: The state’s largest virtual charter school wants to open an alternative high school for at-risk students, saying the school will better address the needs of struggling students who already attend or will enroll in its regular
- How Alabama’s new virtual school helped Montgomery student diagnosed with autoimmune diseases
- > May 25, 5:41 AM: Two months into her junior year at a Montgomery private school, several weeks after a three-vehicle crash left her concussed, and three years since she was diagnosed with two autoimmune diseases that would change the course of her
- Lawmakers look to help ECOT students’ new schools
- > May 24, 6:25 AM: Maumee-based Ohio Virtual Academy’s attempt to treat student transfers from what used to be the state’s largest online charter school differently from the rest of its enrollment failed Wednesday in the state
- Hallsville ISD signs manufacturing academy, virtual school agreements
- > May 23, 6:38 AM: Trustees approved a three-year educational products and services agreement with K12 Virtual Schools, which will provide online-based education for students in grades 3-12. District Superintendent Jeff Collum said Hallsville would
- Georgia online school’s closure means one less option for high-risk students
- > May 22, 5:21 AM: When Georgia’s first online statewide charter high school closes next month, it will leave behind roughly 1,700 students without a diploma— many of whom have struggled in school — and a mixed legacy as an education pioneer that
- 62 people will lose their jobs when this online Indiana charter school closes
- May 21, 6:45 AM: Sixty-two counselors, advisors, special education administrators and teachers are expected to lose their jobs when Hoosier Academies Virtual School closes this summer.
- Virtual classroom just the ticket for Norman student
- May 17, 6:43 AM: While the Oklahoma Virtual Charter Academy was better for Erika than public school, it wasn't a perfect fit. When the family found the Insight School of Oklahoma (ISOK), Erika's luck began to change.
- North Canton schools will launch online digital academy
- May 17, 6:33 AM: By offering a group of online classes through the academy, North Canton City Schools will try to recover money lost to other digital programs. Students graduating from the academy will receive a Hoover High School diploma.
- Proof that online high school can work: My daughter
- > May 16, 6:29 AM: Perhaps inevitably, controversy has followed the growth. Some educators worry that online schools are inherently inferior to traditional classrooms with their flesh-and-blood teachers and peer-group teamwork. I agree that the trend
- Letter: Virtual charter schools fill needs
- > May 16, 6:23 AM: The Idaho Coalition of Charter School Families firmly believes that there are two basic principles in what makes charter schools a quality option: choice and opportunity. Parental choice has been a longstanding value for the Idaho
- E-school asks to exclude ECOT transfers from sponsor evaluations
- May 16, 5:06 AM: The online Ohio Virtual Academy, now the largest charter school in Ohio, wants state lawmakers to shield it from potential consequences associated with accepting ECOT students with poor academic scores.