- Betsy DeVos emerges a Trump Cabinet survivor
- > Apr 29, 7:42 AM: Yet the president shows no signs of asking her to resign, reflecting in part his lack of interest in the issue of education and the department responsible for it. And DeVos has no interest in departing. Advisers say she is excited
- DeVos Moves to Ease Church-State Rules in Education
- Mar 12, 7:39 AM: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos announced Monday that she will no longer enforce a provision in federal law that bars religious organizations from providing federally funded educational services to private schools.
- School Reform’s Lost Momentum
- > Jan 29, 8:54 AM: Perhaps the biggest impediment to the creation and maintenance of a truly innovative, diverse system of schools will be getting policymakers and the public to accept that every school will not be to everyone’s liking. The
- House Democrats bringing new scrutiny to education secretary
- Jan 22, 8:52 AM: Wielding control of the House and a new set of investigative powers, Democrats are preparing to bring Education Secretary Betsy DeVos under the sharpest scrutiny she has seen since taking office.
- Letter: DeVos Is Restoring Order to America’s Schools
- > Dec 31, 9:36 AM: I agree that the Education Department, where I used to work, was right to withdraw Obama-era guidance on school discipline (“The Discipline of Betsy DeVos,” editorial, Dec. 22). The guidance wrongly asserted that racial disparities
- Opinion: Obama’s Racial Preferences Made Schools Dangerous
- > Dec 26, 9:32 AM: Put another way, the administration was demanding racial parity in school discipline, regardless of who was being disruptive, which is as silly as demanding racial parity in police arrests, regardless of who’s committing crimes.
- Do the recommendations from the school safety commission go far enough? (CER in the news)
- > Dec 19, 8:13 AM: Citing a "holistic" approach to school safety, a federal commission led by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has released proposals on student mental health, cyber bullying and discipline. For different perspectives on the report,
- George H.W. Bush laid the foundation for education reform
- > Dec 3, 8:48 AM: Beyond establishing a vision, Bush threw his energies into school reform projects large and small. In keeping with his belief that the federal government could “serve as a catalyst” in promoting change, he was an early advocate for
- Warner, Portman call for improvement of Pell dual enrollment program
- > Sep 13, 7:30 AM: U.S. Sens. Mark Warner (D-VA) and Rob Portman (R-OH) sent a letter to U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos to urge the Trump administration to consider expanding the dual enrollment Pell experiment to meet the goal of 10,000
- Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, goes before GOP-dominated Senate Judiciary Committee
- > Sep 4, 7:37 AM: This week’s four-day hearing promises to be contentious at times when disgruntled Democrats press the nominee to answer their questions, and dry and dull at other times when Republicans offer praise and lob him softballs. Tuesday’s
- Bucking allies, school choice group favors IRS proposal on tax credits
- Aug 30, 7:42 AM: A Florida-based advocacy group that pushes Georgia and other states to help fund private schools so more children can attend them is breaking ranks with allies over a controversial proposed federal tax rule.
- Govt acts to stop high-tax states from skirting $10K cap
- > Aug 24, 7:47 AM: Steven Rosenthal, a senior fellow at the nonpartisan Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center, said he was surprised by the broad reach of the rules, affecting both high-tax states’ “workaround” efforts and existing programs in Republican
- Kavanaugh Could Unlock Funding for Religious Education, School Voucher Advocates Say
- > Aug 15, 7:22 AM: Over his decades-long legal career, Judge Kavanaugh has argued in favor of breaking down barriers between church and state. He has filed friend-of-the-court briefs in support of school prayer and the right of religious groups to
- Trump promotes job training as employers search for workers
- > Jul 20, 7:49 AM: The White House said the “Pledge to America’s Workers” would provide at least 3.8 million new career opportunities for students and workers over the next five years, including apprenticeships, work-based learning and continuing
- Senate confirms Los Angeles reform advocate Jim Blew in narrow vote, rounding out Ed Dept’s K-
- Jul 18, 6:53 AM: The Senate voted narrowly Tuesday to confirm Jim Blew, a longtime education reform advocate, to be an assistant secretary in the U.S. Department of Education, rounding out the department’s K-12 team.
- Trump Officials Reverse Obama’s Policy on Affirmative Action in Schools
- > Jul 5, 7:17 AM: In a joint letter, the Education and Justice Departments announced that they had rescinded seven Obama-era policy guidelines on affirmative action, which, the departments said, “advocate policy preferences and positions beyond the
- U.S. Education Dept.: Puerto Rico to pilot ‘student-centered funding system’
- > Jul 3, 7:42 AM: U.S. Education (DOE) Secretary Betsy DeVos announced Monday that the Puerto Rico Department of Education will be the first to pilot “new flexibility under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) to create a student-centered funding
- Opinion: Why I took my case over forced union dues to the Supreme Court
- Jul 2, 7:45 AM: But I haven’t had a choice about either of these, and I have been forced to pay for a private organization that I don’t want to be a member of to negotiate for things I don’t believe in.
- Column: The Education and Labor departments were made for each other
- > Jun 22, 7:49 AM: The U.S. Department of Education was created not so long ago, in 1980. But from a labor force perspective, 1980 was a different epoch. Back then, two-thirds of jobs required no more than a high school education. Remarkably, 30
- White House to Propose Merging Education, Labor Departments
- Jun 21, 7:51 AM: The White House is set to propose merging the Labor and Education departments as part of a broader reorganization of the federal government, said a person with knowledge of the changes.