- Warner, Portman call for improvement of Pell dual enrollment program
- > Sep 13, 7:30 AM: U.S. Sens. Mark Warner (D-VA) and Rob Portman (R-OH) sent a letter to U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos to urge the Trump administration to consider expanding the dual enrollment Pell experiment to meet the goal of 10,000
- Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, goes before GOP-dominated Senate Judiciary Committee
- > Sep 4, 7:37 AM: This week’s four-day hearing promises to be contentious at times when disgruntled Democrats press the nominee to answer their questions, and dry and dull at other times when Republicans offer praise and lob him softballs. Tuesday’s
- Bucking allies, school choice group favors IRS proposal on tax credits
- Aug 30, 7:42 AM: A Florida-based advocacy group that pushes Georgia and other states to help fund private schools so more children can attend them is breaking ranks with allies over a controversial proposed federal tax rule.
- Govt acts to stop high-tax states from skirting $10K cap
- > Aug 24, 7:47 AM: Steven Rosenthal, a senior fellow at the nonpartisan Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center, said he was surprised by the broad reach of the rules, affecting both high-tax states’ “workaround” efforts and existing programs in Republican
- Kavanaugh Could Unlock Funding for Religious Education, School Voucher Advocates Say
- > Aug 15, 7:22 AM: Over his decades-long legal career, Judge Kavanaugh has argued in favor of breaking down barriers between church and state. He has filed friend-of-the-court briefs in support of school prayer and the right of religious groups to
- Trump promotes job training as employers search for workers
- > Jul 20, 7:49 AM: The White House said the “Pledge to America’s Workers” would provide at least 3.8 million new career opportunities for students and workers over the next five years, including apprenticeships, work-based learning and continuing
- Senate confirms Los Angeles reform advocate Jim Blew in narrow vote, rounding out Ed Dept’s K-
- Jul 18, 6:53 AM: The Senate voted narrowly Tuesday to confirm Jim Blew, a longtime education reform advocate, to be an assistant secretary in the U.S. Department of Education, rounding out the department’s K-12 team.
- Trump Officials Reverse Obama’s Policy on Affirmative Action in Schools
- > Jul 5, 7:17 AM: In a joint letter, the Education and Justice Departments announced that they had rescinded seven Obama-era policy guidelines on affirmative action, which, the departments said, “advocate policy preferences and positions beyond the
- U.S. Education Dept.: Puerto Rico to pilot ‘student-centered funding system’
- > Jul 3, 7:42 AM: U.S. Education (DOE) Secretary Betsy DeVos announced Monday that the Puerto Rico Department of Education will be the first to pilot “new flexibility under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) to create a student-centered funding
- Opinion: Why I took my case over forced union dues to the Supreme Court
- Jul 2, 7:45 AM: But I haven’t had a choice about either of these, and I have been forced to pay for a private organization that I don’t want to be a member of to negotiate for things I don’t believe in.
- Column: The Education and Labor departments were made for each other
- > Jun 22, 7:49 AM: The U.S. Department of Education was created not so long ago, in 1980. But from a labor force perspective, 1980 was a different epoch. Back then, two-thirds of jobs required no more than a high school education. Remarkably, 30
- White House to Propose Merging Education, Labor Departments
- Jun 21, 7:51 AM: The White House is set to propose merging the Labor and Education departments as part of a broader reorganization of the federal government, said a person with knowledge of the changes.
- Hard lessons for Betsy DeVos in D.C.
- > Apr 4, 7:06 AM: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos came here from the Grand Rapids area to reform education and expand alternatives to traditional public schools, but her agenda has been rebuffed by a Republican-led Congress and stymied by the
- DeVos, Long Opposed to Federal Gun Control, Takes on School Safety (CER in the news)
- > Mar 13, 7:13 AM: Mrs. DeVos struggled to explain in a CBS interview how her advocacy for charter schools in her home state of Michigan had benefited students. When Mrs. DeVos was asked if she had visited some of the schools that are struggling the
- Education Secretary Betsy DeVos stumbles during pointed ‘60 Minutes’ interview
- Mar 12, 7:24 AM: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos appeared on CBS’s “60 Minutes” show on Sunday night and stumbled in answering questions that journalist Lesley Stahl asked her during a pointed interview.
- Opinion: Jonathan Chait Can’t Rewrite the Obama Education Legacy
- > Mar 9, 8:06 AM: We appreciate Chait’s earnest attempt to champion a middle path on school reform, something sorely missing on the left in our ResistanceTM era. But Obama-style school reform was undone in no small part by a troubling faith in
- DeVos Rips State Education Chiefs for Their K-12 Vision
- Mar 6, 8:06 AM: The education secretary said she was looking for more creativity from the nation’s schools chiefs and that they were not taking advantage of the historic flexibility the law gives them.
- One Year In, Betsy DeVos Has Supercharged Teacher Activism (CER in the news)
- > Feb 14, 8:15 AM: As in so many industries and among Democrats at large, there has been a wave of activism in response to President Donald Trump in the past year. In education, this activism has manifested as a renewed rallying around traditional
- As DeVos Approves Education Plans, She Finds Skeptics in G.O.P. Governors
- Feb 12, 9:11 AM: The majority of states now have the green light from Education Secretary Betsy DeVos to begin implementing a sweeping federal law passed in 2015 to replace the much-maligned No Child Left Behind law.
- A year after ascending, DeVos hails shrinking of the Education Department
- Feb 8, 8:02 AM: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos proclaimed Wednesday that her proudest accomplishments in her first year in office were shrinking the role of the agency, rolling back Obama-era initiatives and erasing outdated regulations.