- Mayor de Blasio brushes away declining enrollment in New York City public schools as only ‘one
- Feb 4, 7:48 AM: Mayor de Blasio on Wednesday argued the historic drop in city public school enrollment this year was only temporary, and insisted that families would return once the pandemic died down.
- 90,000 Florida kids didn’t show up for school this year. Where are they?
- Feb 4, 7:19 AM: The pandemic steered some to homeschooling or private school. But officials suspect many “missing” students are not being educated at all.
- California’s Public Schools Suffer Record Enrollment Decline Amid the Pandemic
- > Feb 1, 7:55 AM: California’s K-12 public-school enrollment has precipitously declined during the pandemic, dropping by a record 155,000 students, according to new state projections. That drop-off is about five times greater than California’s
- Enrollment in Public Schools Drops by 43,000 Students
- Jan 28, 8:17 AM: Enrollment in city public schools has fallen by 43,000 students since last year, new data shows — a sign some families have left the system as it struggles to adapt to the coronavirus pandemic.
- California Public Schools Suffer Record Enrollment Drop
- Jan 27, 7:56 AM: California’s K-12 public-school enrollment has precipitously declined during the pandemic, dropping by a record 155,000 students, according to new state projections.
- Public school enrollment is down in NC as alternatives grow during COVID-19 pandemic
- Jan 27, 7:30 AM: North Carolina's traditional public schools are fighting to hold on to their students as they lose ground to their competitors during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Why some parents are choosing to leave Tulsa Public Schools
- Jan 20, 7:36 AM: Both moms have many reasons to want to leave TPS. But especially their children who are struggling without face-to-face learning.
- SC public school enrollment dips amid pandemic, private schools get unexpected boost
- Jan 18, 8:18 AM: Frustrated by last-minute school changes and dissatisfied with virtual-learning options, many South Carolina families have opted to leave the public school system entirely.
- Oklahoma Public Schools See Largest Enrollment Drop In At Least Four Decades
- Jan 8, 7:58 AM: Public school enrollment in Oklahoma plummeted amid the coronavirus pandemic, according to October 1 enrollment data released Thursday by Oklahoma’s State Department of Education.
- K-12 enrollment is down by nearly 3,200 students
- Jan 8, 7:11 AM: Enrollment in Idaho’s K-12 public schools is down by nearly 3,200 students from last school year, despite unprecedented growth at virtual schools.
- More than 50,000 students left Michigan public schools this year. Where did they go?
- > Jan 4, 6:36 AM: School leaders are now tasked with finding those students and bringing them back to the public school system next year. But the return of those students is not a guarantee, as thousands of Michigan families have opted for
- Closing classrooms may cost school districts thousands of students for years to come
- > Dec 29, 9:11 AM: Fewer parents are now “completely satisfied” with their children’s education; their number fell by 10 percentage points since last year, according to a Gallup poll. Parents across the country have expressed their dissatisfaction by
- Editorial: Amid the pandemic, exodus from America’s public schools
- > Dec 28, 9:18 AM: Teacher unions insist it’s inhumane to send staff into schools during a pandemic, even though the science says otherwise. And sclerotic administration and union rules also seem to prevent the kind of true innovation and flexibility
- Closer look at fall enrollment shows decrease in public schools, increase in charter schools
- Dec 23, 7:32 AM: A recent study completed by Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty shows school districts across the state saw a dramatic decline in fall enrollment as educators navigate the COVID-19 pandemic.
- US public school enrollment dips as virus disrupts education
- > Dec 22, 8:57 AM: The data, which in many states is preliminary, offers the clearest picture yet of the pandemic’s devastating toll on public school enrollment — a decline that could eventually have dire consequences for school budgets that are
- Delaware public schools worry about staffing levels with lower enrollment
- Dec 22, 6:39 AM: With student enrollment down in Delaware’s public schools, the units — i.e., educational staff — could also take a hit.
- Some southwest IL school districts are losing students during the COVID pandemic
- Dec 21, 8:02 AM: Some public school districts in the metro-east lost students this fall, and the coronavirus pandemic is likely to blame.
- Enrollment decline at Virginia public schools could have impact on state funding
- Dec 21, 6:35 AM: Public school enrollment in this pandemic-riddled school year has dropped about 3.5% in Virginia, which could create a funding challenge for schools that Gov. Ralph Northam is trying to solve through a budget amendment.
- Commentary: Parents voting with their feet, sending CCPS a message the school system should hear
- > Dec 17, 8:04 AM: The fact that hundreds of families are turning their backs on the public school system should concern all taxpayers, and CCPS needs to make very sure it knows exactly why it’s happening. However, it appears, CCPS doesn’t even know
- Delaware’s public school enrollment is down; do funding cuts lie ahead?
- Dec 16, 7:08 AM: After years of steady growth, Delaware public schools saw a decrease in enrollment across the state, reflecting national trends likely driven by the COVID-19 pandemic.