- Will Booker’s Track Record on Education Be a Problem for his 2020 Campaign?
- Feb 7, 8:31 AM: His vision for improving education has included charter schools and merit pay for teachers — views that are out of fashion for many Democrats.
- Are Chicago schools too focused on a ‘college or bust’ culture? Some mayoral hopefuls th
- > Feb 4, 7:26 AM: Is Chicago’s “college or bust” culture undermining its neighborhood schools? At a forum on Saturday, several mayoral candidates pledged that, if elected, they would re-evaluate the selective enrollment, or test-in, model and steer
- Daley would nix CPS local school councils for larger neighborhood councils
- > Jan 10, 7:14 AM: If elected mayor, candidate Bill Daley would eliminate the 500-plus elected groups of parents, teachers and neighbors who oversee public school budgets and principals in Chicago and consolidate their power into neighborhood-based
- Column: ECOT report arrived too late to impact election
- > Jan 4, 8:12 AM: Had the report — which took about three years to complete — come out just a couple of months earlier, it might have had an effect on the elections for governor, attorney general, state auditor, and maybe a few
- Major charter organization says it will sit out March primary for L.A. school board seat
- > Dec 31, 8:58 AM: Recent races for the Los Angeles Board of Education have been the most expensive school board contests in the nation’s history — and charter school supporters spent millions more than anyone else. But a key charter group announced
- A crowd will face off for Ref Rodriguez’s former L.A. school board seat
- Dec 6, 8:39 AM: The person who wins the open Los Angeles school board seat in a March special election will serve less than two years and enter the fray during a period of budget strain and labor unrest.
- Out-of-state billionaires among donors seeking to influence Baton Rouge School Board races
- Dec 3, 7:46 AM: A handful of out-of-state billionaires pushing for charter schools and other "education reforms" have spent a sliver of their fortunes on East Baton Rouge Parish School Board races, records show.
- How much was a vote worth in the D.C. State Board of Education races?
- > Nov 26, 8:53 AM: How much was a single vote worth in the D.C. State Board of Education elections? Maybe $3? $5? Even $8? Those races gained increased visibility courtesy of generous donors who contributed more than $250,000 to 10 candidates vying
- As lieutenant governor, Rogers says he’ll fight for education and rural communities
- > Nov 26, 8:41 AM: As Rogers, 60, prepares for a new role as lieutenant governor, he says his experience as a parent, volunteer and school board member — as well as his 30-year career in agricultural finance — will guide him as he tries to steer a
- Opinion: California School Reform Movement Lost Big in Midterm Election
- > Nov 26, 5:55 AM: Donald Trump and his Republican Party were obviously big losers in this month’s California election. But so was a loose confederation of civil rights, public school reform and charter school advocates, most of whose leaders are
- ‘School Choice Moms’ Tipped the Governor’s Florida Race
- Nov 21, 6:06 AM: Believe it or not, Republican Ron DeSantis owes his victory in the Florida gubernatorial election to about 100,000 African-American women who unexpectedly chose him over the black Democratic candidate, Andrew Gillum.
- Kayser plans to end run for his former L.A. school board seat
- Nov 20, 8:16 AM: Bennett Kayser said Monday that he plans to drop out of the race to fill the L.A. school board seat he once held — which has been open since Ref Rodriguez resigned from the board in July.
- Charter school backers spent millions on statewide races in 2018. They still lost twice.
- Nov 19, 5:56 AM: When former charter school executive Marshall Tuck called Assemblyman Tony Thurmond to concede over the weekend, it marked another defeat for charter-school advocates in California.
- Meet Superintendent-elect Kathy Hoffman
- > Nov 16, 6:09 AM: And we do want to make sure all of our students have access to a high-quality education and the learning opportunities that they need to be successful, whether that's your regular books and paper and pens to be successful or
- Jeb Bush has advice for new governors: Ignore DC’s ‘gridlock, dysfunction and arrogance’
- > Nov 15, 9:21 AM: I believe Governors can be most impactful — immediately and for generations to come — by focusing on education. A quality education is the great equalizer in our society, holding the power to break the cycle of poverty and despair
- Voucher fight got newest LD18 rep interested in running
- > Nov 15, 7:20 AM: A transplant from the Bay Area who moved to Arizona with her husband Michael in 2011, Jermaine said she got interested in running for office last year after a coalition of activists launched the petition drive to put the
- Editorial: The School Choice Election Bonus
- Nov 14, 7:46 AM: Republicans rarely get media credit for promoting school choice programs that help poor and minority kids, but last week GOP candidates running for Governor in Arizona and Florida appear to have received a political dividend.
- Opinion: The Blue Wave May Wash Education Reform Away
- > Nov 14, 7:42 AM: Liberals may be able to slow these reform efforts, but snuffing them out completely is another matter. The good news is that the critical mass of people benefiting from school choice over the past quarter-century continues to
- Sparks fly in District 2 School Board debate; Baton Rouge constable candidates refrain from attacks
- > Nov 14, 7:16 AM: Incumbent Vereta Lee and challenger Dadrius Lanus traded jabs at a forum Tuesday over who’s backing their campaigns and about their respective teaching experience during their first debate since they faced off a week ago at the