- Metro Nashville school board charter advocate Mary Pierce will not seek re-election
- Jan 17, 5:57 AM: Metro Nashville school board's leading charter school advocate announced Tuesday she will not seek re-election.
- Democrats running for Massachusetts governor in 2018 want more money for public education
- Jan 16, 7:29 AM: Voters can expect charter schools and education to be a major point of debate in the 2018 governor's race.
- Pro-charter school Massachusetts group fined for hiding 2016 campaign donors including Mitt Romney’s
- Jan 3, 6:58 AM: A secretive Massachusetts nonprofit, Strong Economy for Growth, has been fined for trying to influence the 2016 ballot questions on charter schools and marijuana and failing to disclose its donors.
- As Tennessee governor’s race ramps up, so does the conversation around schools
- Nov 30, 7:27 AM: The State Collaborative on Reforming Education, also known as SCORE, on Wednesday unveiled five priorities aimed at moving Tennessee up from the middle of the pack on student achievement.
- Power over Douglas County School changes
- > Nov 9, 7:34 AM: Since 2009, the Douglas County School Board pushed for a school voucher program which is still involved in a prolonged fight in the court system. It dissolved negotiations with the American Federation of Teachers. A new
- In thorny Douglas County school board races that drew national scrutiny, anti-voucher candidates pre
- > Nov 8, 8:14 AM: A slate of anti-school voucher candidates won a contentious race Tuesday night for the Douglas County School Board, effectively killing the district’s controversial voucher program and entirely remaking the seven-member
- Oil man, voucher proponent Alex Cranberg donates $20,000 to Douglas County school board candidates
- Nov 7, 6:45 AM: Four Douglas County school board candidates who want to continue the legal defense of the district’s stalled private-school voucher program continued to bring in more money than their opponents, new records show.
- Group agrees to stop using term ‘for-profit charter’ in election material after complain
An independent committee trying to sway a Denver school board race has agreed to stop saying a “for-profit charter school” is moving into a DPS campus in northeast Denver.
Nov 1, 5:51 AM:
- School board candidates talk charters, tight budgets
- > Oct 27, 6:16 AM: The candidates talked about a multitude of issues and almost always agreed in principle across the board. Candidates generally were against any potential expansion of charter schools, and for the most part, thought that charter
- From Denver to Douglas County, school board elections are drawing big money and plenty of partisansh
- Oct 27, 5:15 AM: Big money and rigid partisanship are infusing at least one key area school board race and casting a shadow on others, including the 10-candidate contest in Denver.
- Where Douglas County School Board candidates stand on vouchers
- Oct 25, 7:04 AM: The Douglas County School Board election is one of the most closely watched board elections in the nation. Big money is flooding in from around the country to try and influence the vote.
- Greitens campaign paid to bring in candidate for top Missouri schools job, report shows
- Oct 24, 4:57 AM: Gov. Eric Greitens has been criticized for attempting to stack the Missouri state school board with his own appointees in order to install his own top school leader.
- School board candidates agree on need for more openness, differ on charter schools
- > Oct 23, 6:53 AM: In answering a question at a Sunday school board candidate forum about how to build community consensus, James Alan Hollinger said widespread support would be achieved through transparency on the part of the board and through
- Our Schools Now has one-fourth of needed signatures for 2018 ballot initiative
- > Oct 20, 6:43 AM: Backers of the Our Schools Now citizen initiative have collected one-fourth of the signatures needed to place the issue on the November 2018 ballot, former House Speaker Nolan Karras told attendees of the Utah Education Association
- Big outside money pours into Denver, Dougco school board races
- Oct 18, 5:12 AM: The first volley of big money that will be spent on school board races in Colorado this year comes from opposing sides, but most of the money is being spent in two separate counties, Denver and Douglas.
- Mayoral candidate Laura Lavine explains controversial idea to take over schools
- Oct 17, 5:32 AM: Republican candidate Laura Lavine believes Syracuse's next mayor should be held accountable for the city's schools.
- Douglas County School Board race drawing national attention, cash
- Oct 12, 4:58 AM: Four seats are on the line, and with them, control of the board. For many observers, this race boils down to one word – vouchers.
- Teachers union snubs Syracuse mayoral candidate seeking control of schools
- Sep 21, 5:30 AM: Officials said the union doesn't support Lavine's proposals for mayoral control of schools or her call for increased charter school funding.
- Voucher expansion ballot measure prompts questions on voter protection
- Sep 18, 5:31 AM: What is now Proposition 305 will not only put the fate of school voucher expansion into the hands of Arizonans, but is also likely to set precedent on how the Voter Protection Act applies to referenda.
- Democrat Jay Gonzalez calls for probe into governor, charters
- > Sep 13, 5:38 AM: Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jay Gonzalez on Tuesday called for an investigation into Governor Charlie Baker’s ties to a pro-charter-school New York group that this week incurred the largest fine in state campaign history for