- Opinion: Newark Voters Just Elected Their First Full School Board Since State Control Ended.
- > May 26, 6:21 AM: Now, two years after the state returned control of schools to the district, the voters of Newark have elected the first board since 1995 to have complete authority. And its members represent a compromise among Baraka, his allies
- Who Might Biden Pick As Education Secretary?
- > May 22, 8:33 AM: Most of the speculation around Biden’s potential picks has focused on roles like Attorney General and Secretary of State, but who he picks to lead the Department of Education will be a critical choice. This pick has only become
- Fuller: Open Letter to Joe Biden — The Votes of Black and Brown Charter School Parents Matter.
- > May 20, 8:44 AM: Recently, the Democrats formed a group of so-called Unity Task Forces, allegedly to give hope and unification to the party. It may do so for some forces within the party. But the makeup of the Task Force on Education is an insult
- Biden And Sanders Announce Education Unity Task Force
- > May 14, 8:14 AM: Today, former Vice President and presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden announced six Unity Task Forces to cover the issues of education, climate change, criminal justice reform, the economy, health care, and
- Chicago teachers union leaders back Sanders, becoming latest to offer personal endorsements as union
- Apr 23, 8:12 AM: Two leaders of the Chicago Teachers Union announced Wednesday that they were personally endorsing Sen. Bernie Sanders for the Democratic presidential nomination.
- Milwaukee voters approve $87 million MPS referendum
- > Apr 14, 5:42 AM: It represents a lifeline for the state's largest and arguably poorest school district, which the Wisconsin Policy Forum has said faced an uncertain future without painful cuts and a significant infusion of cash from the state or
- American Federation of Teachers backs Joe Biden for president
- Mar 23, 8:33 AM: Joe Biden has secured endorsements from both of the nation’s major teacher unions after the American Federation of Teachers on Sunday voted to back his presidential campaign.
- Biden would be nowhere without black voters. Will he accommodate black charter school parents?
- Mar 18, 8:16 AM: It is high time, then, for Democrats to stop disrespecting millions of black voters on an issue important to them: Charter schools.
- Review & Outlook: Moderate Joe Moves Left
- > Mar 18, 8:14 AM: On Saturday the National Education Association endorsed Mr. Biden, which bodes ill for school choice. “No privately funded charter school—or private charter school—would receive a penny of federal money,” he told the
- Column: Biden and Sanders: What do they have to say about education?
- > Mar 16, 8:52 AM: I’ve been studying the education platforms of the two remaining contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination, former vice president Joe Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders. Their plans are ambitious but unlikely to become
- Black Americans Demand School Choice. Is Joe Biden Listening?
- Mar 16, 8:48 AM: As it stands in America, the majority of students’ schools are assigned based on their zip code. This locks kids (who could have better opportunities elsewhere) into schools that might not be the best fit.
- Biden Wins Support of the National Education Association
- Mar 16, 8:46 AM: Though it was certain to come at some point, Joe Biden picked up a big endorsement Saturday when the country’s largest union — the National Education Association — backed his presidential bid.
- Biden expands support among unions
- Mar 10, 7:28 AM: Joe Biden is picking up support from union groups, with labor leaders eyeing the former vice president as key to winning back the many rank-and-file voters who backed President Trump.
- Unions seek to be kingmakers if Democrats are split at the national convention
- > Mar 9, 9:29 AM: Four of the country's biggest unions are seeking to position themselves as kingmakers in the event of a contested presidential nomination battle, maneuvering to get their members elected as delegates who would throw their weight
- Jill Biden rallies fellow teachers in Chicago as candidates jockey for union backing
- > Mar 9, 9:28 AM: Standing before rows of Illinois educators wearing “red for ed,” Jill Biden, a community college instructor and former public schoolteacher, offered assurances that her husband has what it takes to beat President Donald Trump and
- Charter school advocates plan protest of Sen. Sanders’ Detroit appearance
- Mar 6, 10:24 AM: Detroit Voice for School Choice (DVSC) has announced the group is organizing a protest of Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders’ Detroit appearance Friday night.
- Amid Charter School Battle, Republicans Hold on to OC Education Board Supermajority
- Mar 6, 8:44 AM: Republicans had comfortable margins, putting them on track to maintain their 4-1 supermajority on the Orange County Board of Education, according to the latest election results Thursday evening.
- At least two L.A. Unified board races appear headed to a run-off
- > Mar 5, 6:40 AM: At least two competitive L.A. Unified school board races are likely headed to a November runoff following the most heated and costly primary season on record and a campaign that once again became a proxy fight over the future of
- Finally out from under state control, Newark residents must vote in large numbers | Opinion
- > Mar 3, 7:31 AM: On April 21, 2020, Newarkers will finally have the chance to choose. The question is: will they go to the polls in large numbers so they can participate in addressing the critical issues facing the city's public education
- Influential teacher union leader backs Warren
- Mar 2, 10:12 AM: Randi Weingarten, the president of the American Federation of Teachers, backed the Massachusetts senator before introducing her at a South Carolina primary night town hall held across the country in Houston.