- House foes at odds on voucher support
- > Oct 26, 5:26 AM: In an interview this week, Lowery said he continues to support school-choice initiatives, including the expansion of charter schools, voucher programs and "partial vouchers" such as Arkansas' Succeed Scholarship Program, which
- SC Senate policy stakes: Graham favors ‘school choice,’ Harrison backs public schools
- > Oct 26, 4:57 AM: While state and local governments bear the bulk of the authority over local schools, the winner of South Carolina’s competitive U.S. Senate race next month could also play an important role in shaping the future of national
- Parents Are Worried About Schools. Are the Candidates?
- Oct 22, 8:10 AM: The pandemic has made education a top issue for many voters. But you wouldn’t know that from the candidates’ stump speeches.
- The future of public education will be decided in the 2020 election | Opinion
- > Oct 22, 8:08 AM: Behind the crisis and Trump’s distractions, however, is a simple truth: Rather than working to improve public education, his administration has waged a full-frontal assault on it. And four more years will have devastating
- Ivanka Trump rallies voters around school choice
- Oct 22, 8:07 AM: Ivanka also brought attention to Denisha Merriweather. The poster child for the administration’s push for school choice.
- Fact check: Cooper says Forest would allow ‘rich’ to use state aid for private schools
- > Oct 22, 6:03 AM: Cooper is talking about Forest’s plan to modify Opportunity Scholarships, which are part of a state government program that offers financial aid to families who want their child to enroll in a participating nonpublic
- Charleston school board candidates differ on school choice, superintendent’s performance
- > Oct 22, 4:46 AM: The candidates are divided on most issues, including their assessment of Superintendent Gerrita Postlewait, the district’s controversial decisions to improve failing schools and whether to boost school choice
- Pandemic sets backdrop for state superintendent race
- Oct 21, 5:50 AM: The race for superintendent of public instruction features a rematch from 2016. Except this time it comes after the coronavirus pandemic has shaken up the education world.
- Review & Outlook: Tax Raid in Arizona
- Oct 20, 8:09 AM: The tax referendum is driven by unions seeking more money for education, though as recently as 2018 teachers went on strike and won a pay raise of 20% statewide.
- Teachers’ union advocate hopes to defend seat against charter school employee in L.A. County s
- > Oct 20, 4:33 AM: In one of two Los Angeles Unified school board races on the L.A. County ballot, incumbent Scott Schmerelson is seeking to defend his seat in a challenge from charter school employee Marilyn Koziatek in the race to represent
- Will charter school politics — and money — influence the local Santa Clara County school
- Oct 19, 8:08 AM: Charter organizations give big money to Grace Mah, while labor and teachers unions support Melissa Baten Caswell
- Trump’s And Biden’s Plans For Education
- > Oct 16, 9:06 AM: In his plan to support K-12 education, Biden calls for a greater focus on underfunded schools to reduce educational disparities. He wants to triple Title I funding to raise salaries for teachers who work at schools with primarily
- National teacher union leader stumps for Gary tax referendum
- Oct 15, 9:05 AM: The president of the American Federation of Teachers brought muscle and money in support of a referendum to raise taxes in the Gary Community School Corp.
- As Democrats aim to flip the House, a top lawmaker took $600K from school choice donor trying to sto
- Oct 15, 6:12 AM: House Minority Whip Jordan Harris, D-Philadelphia, raked in $600,000 over the past two years from Students First, a political action committee that supports candidates for office who back school choice.
- Op-Ed: Black Educators Reject Trump, Call On Biden To Embrace Obama-Era Education Policies
- > Oct 12, 8:33 AM: Nearly 90 percent of Black Democratic primary voters support expanding access to more public school options, including charter schools. Has Biden stepped over Black voters to ingratiate himself with White progressives? Is that
- Ohio voters to elect six members to state Board of Education
- Oct 12, 8:14 AM: The 19-member Ohio Board of Education creates policy and makes recommendations for K-12 education, and hires the state superintendent. Six seats are being decided in this election.
- If charter schools help kids of color, why aren’t the Democrats more supportive? | Opinion
- > Oct 8, 8:08 AM: Education policy may not have received any attention in last week’s presidential debate, but results from a series of polls in critical swing states suggest voters in general, and Black voters, in particular, have strong feelings
- Pro-charter school group spends $50,000 to boost St. Louis County Republican
- Oct 7, 5:32 AM: A political action committee supporting state Sen. Andrew Koenig accepted $50,000 last week from a Washington, D.C., group that supports expanding charter schools, according to state ethics commission records.
- LAUSD Election Could Shatter Spending Records — Again
- Oct 6, 6:27 AM: With less than a month until election day, outside political groups have spent $11.3 million trying to influence two competitive races.