- Our Schools Now has one-fourth of needed signatures for 2018 ballot initiative
- > Oct 20, 6:43 AM: Backers of the Our Schools Now citizen initiative have collected one-fourth of the signatures needed to place the issue on the November 2018 ballot, former House Speaker Nolan Karras told attendees of the Utah Education Association
- Big outside money pours into Denver, Dougco school board races
- Oct 18, 5:12 AM: The first volley of big money that will be spent on school board races in Colorado this year comes from opposing sides, but most of the money is being spent in two separate counties, Denver and Douglas.
- Mayoral candidate Laura Lavine explains controversial idea to take over schools
- Oct 17, 5:32 AM: Republican candidate Laura Lavine believes Syracuse's next mayor should be held accountable for the city's schools.
- Douglas County School Board race drawing national attention, cash
- Oct 12, 4:58 AM: Four seats are on the line, and with them, control of the board. For many observers, this race boils down to one word – vouchers.
- Teachers union snubs Syracuse mayoral candidate seeking control of schools
- Sep 21, 5:30 AM: Officials said the union doesn't support Lavine's proposals for mayoral control of schools or her call for increased charter school funding.
- Voucher expansion ballot measure prompts questions on voter protection
- Sep 18, 5:31 AM: What is now Proposition 305 will not only put the fate of school voucher expansion into the hands of Arizonans, but is also likely to set precedent on how the Voter Protection Act applies to referenda.
- Democrat Jay Gonzalez calls for probe into governor, charters
- > Sep 13, 5:38 AM: Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jay Gonzalez on Tuesday called for an investigation into Governor Charlie Baker’s ties to a pro-charter-school New York group that this week incurred the largest fine in state campaign history for
- Political payback for Republican lawmakers who voted against school vouchers?
- Aug 21, 5:54 AM: Republican lawmakers who opposed the controversial expansion of the state's school-voucher program could draw primary challengers in their 2018 elections.
- Laura Lavine proposes mayoral takeover of Syracuse schools
- Aug 9, 5:40 AM: Laura Lavine, former superintendent for LaFayette School District, said Tuesday she would pursue a new structure under which the mayor appoints the school board. That board is currently elected by voters.
- Vouchers playing a big role in this year’s Douglas County School Board election
- Aug 7, 6:18 AM: Goodland says what makes the Douglas county race so popular is the voucher system. The U.S. Supreme Court sent the case back to the State Supreme Court which remanded it back to the district court.
- Poll: Education reform among top issues for likely voters in Tennessee governor’s race
- Aug 1, 5:31 AM: A majority of Republicans and Democrats rank education reform as one of the most important issues Tennessee's next governor must address, according to a new poll of likely primary voters.
- In a twist, nearly half of Seattle School Board District 4 hopefuls have no kids
- Jul 25, 7:31 AM: Three of the seven candidates in the race for the District 4 seat on the Seattle School Board don’t have children. Parent Eden Mack, however, is the front-runner.
- Network of education reformers continue to help shape governor’s race in Colorado
- Jul 19, 6:39 AM: Education-oriented donors continued to play an outsized role in the latest fundraising round of a governor’s race where all leading Democratic candidates have strong connections to Colorado schools.
- Charter supporters among Cuomo’s top re-election donors
- Jul 19, 6:07 AM: Charter-school supporters were among the major donors who helped Gov. Cuomo collect $5 million since January for his 2018 re-election, records show.
- How L.A.‘s school board election became the most expensive in U.S. history
- > May 22, 5:36 AM: Charter school supporters and unions spent nearly $15 million to battle each other in last week's Los Angeles Board of Education races, which crossed the finish line as the most expensive school board election in U.S.
- Reformers sweep LAUSD school board elections
- > May 17, 5:15 AM: Reform-backed candidates swept the LA Unified school board election Tuesday night, unseating the board president and swinging the balance of the board toward a reform majority for the first time since 2010, according to unofficial
- Charter schools moratorium sparks sparring at Democratic gubernatorial primary debate
- > May 15, 6:29 AM: The question of whether there should be a moratorium on charter schools sparked heated discussion among the four major New Jersey Democratic gubernatorial primary candidates gathered at a television debate in the studio of NJTV in
- School choice advocates support Indiana political candidates
- May 15, 5:08 AM: Hoosier politicians at both the state and federal levels have received hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign donations from prominent school choice supporters.
- School-choice advocates pump millions into Pennsylvania campaigns
- > May 15, 5:00 AM: Wealthy school-choice advocates, wielding millions of dollars in campaign contributions, have sought to play a powerful role in Pennsylvania politics. All told, more than $10 million from school-choice advocates has made its way
- Outside money continues to pour into L.A. school board campaigns
- May 11, 6:22 AM: If the Los Angeles school board elections were a movie, then the nominee for best supporting actor might go to an individual who so far has received little attention: Reed Hastings.