- Network of education reformers continue to help shape governor’s race in Colorado
- Jul 19, 6:39 AM: Education-oriented donors continued to play an outsized role in the latest fundraising round of a governor’s race where all leading Democratic candidates have strong connections to Colorado schools.
- Charter supporters among Cuomo’s top re-election donors
- Jul 19, 6:07 AM: Charter-school supporters were among the major donors who helped Gov. Cuomo collect $5 million since January for his 2018 re-election, records show.
- How L.A.‘s school board election became the most expensive in U.S. history
- > May 22, 5:36 AM: Charter school supporters and unions spent nearly $15 million to battle each other in last week's Los Angeles Board of Education races, which crossed the finish line as the most expensive school board election in U.S.
- Reformers sweep LAUSD school board elections
- > May 17, 5:15 AM: Reform-backed candidates swept the LA Unified school board election Tuesday night, unseating the board president and swinging the balance of the board toward a reform majority for the first time since 2010, according to unofficial
- Charter schools moratorium sparks sparring at Democratic gubernatorial primary debate
- > May 15, 6:29 AM: The question of whether there should be a moratorium on charter schools sparked heated discussion among the four major New Jersey Democratic gubernatorial primary candidates gathered at a television debate in the studio of NJTV in
- School choice advocates support Indiana political candidates
- May 15, 5:08 AM: Hoosier politicians at both the state and federal levels have received hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign donations from prominent school choice supporters.
- School-choice advocates pump millions into Pennsylvania campaigns
- > May 15, 5:00 AM: Wealthy school-choice advocates, wielding millions of dollars in campaign contributions, have sought to play a powerful role in Pennsylvania politics. All told, more than $10 million from school-choice advocates has made its way
- Outside money continues to pour into L.A. school board campaigns
- May 11, 6:22 AM: If the Los Angeles school board elections were a movie, then the nominee for best supporting actor might go to an individual who so far has received little attention: Reed Hastings.
- Revisiting the Question 2 messaging battle
- > May 9, 6:11 AM: CONFUSION IS THE ENEMY if you’re trying to build support for change. Local media still matters. And when it comes to education, voters will trust the word of their local school committee and their children’s teachers over that of
- GOP mayoral hopeful plans education overhaul if elected
- Apr 17, 6:56 AM: GOP mayoral candidate Paul Massey is unveiling an education plan that would champion school choice and bring back some Bloomberg-era policies — including reinstating A-to-F report cards to grade public schools.
- Evers trounced charter-school proponent in election to lead state schools
- > Apr 7, 5:38 AM: The win keeps Evers in place as the only Democratic-backed statewide official in a meaningful office. Even though the race is officially nonpartisan, Evers had strong support from Democrats along with state and national teachers’
- Union backed candidates sweep Milwaukee School Board elections
- Apr 6, 6:27 AM: A slate of candidates backed by the Milwaukee teachers union swept elections for four contested seats on the Milwaukee School Board on Tuesday.
- Tony Evers sails into third term as Wisconsin education chief
- Apr 5, 6:49 AM: Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Evers sailed into a third term on Tuesday, easily defeating challenger Lowell Holtz to hang on to his post as the state's top educator.
- Race for Wisconsin schools chief tops spring election ballots Tuesday
- Apr 4, 5:06 AM: A Wisconsin spring election with only one statewide race and various local contests is expected to draw 13% to 18% of eligible voters to the polls Tuesday, state elections officials said.
- Obama administration Education secretary endorses Gonez, Melvoin for L.A. school board
- > Mar 30, 6:48 AM: Arne Duncan, who was secretary of Education under President Obama, has endorsed Kelly Gonez and Nick Melvoin for the Los Angeles Board of Education, giving the candidates a counterpunch against opponents attempting to link them
- In York County appearance, governor hopeful Gillespie backs charters, tax cuts
- > Mar 22, 6:35 AM: During his trip, Gillespie promised to back legislation expanding charter schools. York River Academy is one of just nine charters in Virginia due to rules that require local school systems to approve charter schools in their area
- U-46 school board candidates debate school choice, charter schools
- Mar 17, 5:57 AM: \Candidates vying to lead the state's second-largest school district have different views on what school choice means and whether charter schools are a good idea.
- What will the future of L.A. Unified look like? (CER in the news)
Beneath the mudslinging and big money that dominated this week’s school board elections, a serious battle is being waged over competing visions of local education: one sees progress and the need for stability; another sees >
Mar 9, 8:11 AM:
- Runoffs appear likely in two of three pivotal L.A. school board contests
- > Mar 8, 7:36 AM: Millions of dollars have poured into races for seats on the Los Angeles Board of Education this year in contests that could for the first time shift the balance of power in the nation’s second-largest school district in favor of
- State superintendent race pits choice advocate, public school defender
- > Feb 23, 6:35 AM: The state superintendent race pits two former school district superintendents and longtime educators against each other — a proponent of expanding school choices and an opponent of the state expansion of taxpayer-funded school