- A Growing Number of Catholic Schools Are Shutting Down Forever
- Sep 8, 8:39 AM: As schools around the country debate how to reopen safely, a growing number of Catholic schools — already facing declining enrollments and donations from before the pandemic — are shutting down for good.
- Minn. Catholic schools begin to open their doors for in-person learning
- > Sep 1, 6:50 AM: With many public schools across the state deciding on distance learning or hybrid instruction, some parents are turning toward Catholic schools. Private and faith-based institutions are not bound by the state’s guidance on
- Catholic Diocese of Orange launches full-time online academy in Stanton
- Aug 27, 6:34 AM: St. Polycarp Catholic School in Stanton has transformed into a full-time virtual school where families have committed to online learning the entire school year.
- ’Our phone started ringing off the hook:’ Massachusetts private schools see uptick in in
- > Aug 26, 6:20 AM: At the end of July, the Massachusetts Teachers Association, the largest teachers union in the state, released a statement pushing back on plans for schools to reopen with in-person learning. Without better COVID safeguards in
- Catholic schools see bump in enrollment ahead of new school year
- > Aug 26, 5:11 AM: It’s been a difficult time for Catholic schools in Connecticut. Many shut down or merged because of few enrollments, or out-of-date buildings. However, there’s been a resurging interest in Catholic schools as of
- With plenty of space, Catholic schools open 5 days a week
- Aug 25, 6:23 AM: In contrast to many public schools, elementary schools in the Pittsburgh and Greensburg dioceses will offer in-person instruction five days a week, as will all but two secondary schools.
- Teachers Demand Switch To Remote Learning At Chicago Archdiocese Schools Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
- > Aug 21, 5:35 AM: Teachers said they have heard about the worries of hundreds of other educators from dozens of Chicago Archdiocese schools. They demand that all Archdiocese schools begin remote learning, and teachers like Cahill be a more important
- Catholic Education Hangs in the Political Balance (CER in the news)
- Aug 20, 8:32 AM: Politicians like to say a child’s zip code shouldn’t determine his or her future, but what they propose to do about that can differ vastly, especially for students who attend Catholic schools.
- Detroit area Catholic schools reopen with in-person classes, wait lists
- > Aug 20, 6:49 AM: Notre Dame is among the first wave of Michigan K-12 schools returning for face-to-face instruction five days a week, in contrast to many public schools that are offering hybrid or online-only classes. The school's decision to bring
- Catholic Schools Open In The Chicago Area Amid Teacher Concerns About COVID-19
- > Aug 18, 6:10 AM: The school in suburban Elk Grove Village was one of many Catholic schools opening Monday for the first time since schools in Illinois shut down in March due to the coronavirus pandemic. All of the Archdiocese of Chicago’s schools,
- Catholic, Private School Students Just Finding Out They May Not Have Bus Ride To School
- > Aug 18, 6:03 AM: Catholic and private school students throughout the region are just finding out that they may not have a bus ride to school. While some local leaders are working on it, transporting students to school is causing major concerns for
- Arlington diocese launches online-only Catholic school
- > Aug 17, 4:41 AM: The Diocese of Arlington is launching a new virtual school for families who want a Catholic education but are worried about sending their children back to in-person classes this September as the country still comes to grips with
- Catholic schools wave off Beshear’s warnings, will start in-person classes
- Aug 13, 6:56 AM: Catholic schools in the Louisville area will ignore Gov. Andy Beshear's recommendation and start in-person classes as soon as next week amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the Archdiocese of Louisville said Wednesday.
- San Antonio Catholic School starting school year with a new microschool model
- > Aug 12, 6:10 AM: After the COVID-19 pandemic forced all schools to close early in March, St. Jose del Rio Catholic School quickly realized it was time to try something new. The decision was made to turn the school into a microschool for the
- While CPS pivots to remote learning, Catholic schools in Chicago and suburbs stand by plans to reope
- Aug 10, 6:42 AM: While Chicago Public Schools has pivoted to a remote learning start for fall, area Catholic schools are moving ahead with plans for a full return to in-person classes five days a week.
- ‘It Won’t Be Normal’: Waiting List Grows For North St. Paul Catholic School With I
- Aug 7, 6:55 AM: A private Catholic school in North St. Paul has built up a waiting list for enrollment with families who don’t want to start the year in hybrid or distance learning.
- Opinion: Congress, help the education of all children
- > Aug 5, 8:21 AM: As lawmakers deliberate on another coronavirus relief bill, it is imperative that all school-age children, regardless of where they attend school, be supported to sustain our country through the ongoing public health and economic
- Eight North Jersey Catholic schools to close permanently due to COVID-19 pandemic
- Aug 5, 7:18 AM: They join a growing list of Catholic school closures, including 10 announced by the Newark Archdiocese just months ago.
- Jeanne Allen: Why Saving Catholic Schools From Covid’s Impact Is A National Imperative
- Aug 3, 7:55 AM: It’s time to get off the couch –put on your mask– and lend your voice and support to the 1.7 million deserving school kids across America whose choices put them in Catholic schools.
- Bishops to Congress: Help Black families meet children’s educational needs
- > Aug 3, 7:52 AM: As the pandemic has “disproportionately affected” predominately Black communities and the Catholic schools that serve them, Congress must provide immediate financial help to families who have chosen these schools for their