Career Technical Education
- High school program offers student ‘pre-apprenticeships’ to start careers
- > Sep 17, 5:21 AM: Pitt Community College student Juan Herrera spends time in the classroom learning about motors, electrical systems, blueprints, and welding. He also works part-time as a maintenance technician with Greenville Utilities Commission.
- In search for new workers, manufacturers turn to apprentices
- > Sep 10, 7:45 AM: About 530,000 apprentices took part in about 22,000 registered programs in 2017, according to the latest federal figures. But most apprentices aren’t young. The average age of North Carolina’s 8,500 apprentices is roughly 30. Labor
- Commentary: The case for modern-day school choice
- > Sep 4, 6:35 AM: Public school districts on Long Island take great pride in offering students the best possible academic experience to prepare them for college. These districts offer such a comprehensive curriculum that many are ranked among the
- Marshall Plan for Talent aims to build Michigan students’ career skills
- > Aug 28, 6:27 AM: To help address the growing shortage of Professional Trade workers in a wide range of industries throughout the state, Gov. Rick Snyder in June signed into law the Marshall Plan for Talent, a $100 million workforce development
- MAC and FHS partner on apprenticeship program
- > Aug 27, 6:47 AM: Many high school students today are looking for a technical career pathway that does not require a college degree. A new partnership between Mineral Area College and Farmington High School gives Career and Technical
- Vocation, vocation, vocation
- > Aug 20, 7:41 AM: COLLEGE ISN'T FOR EVERYONE. It’s a hard truth to swallow, especially for students who find themselves disinterested or disheartened during their tenure at a four-year university, and those who’ve been preached to their entire
- Vocational Training Is Back as Firms Pair With High Schools to Groom Workers
- > Aug 14, 7:20 AM: Gabe Schorner never considered himself a good student until he enrolled in his high school’s new welding program, where, in an industrial-style classroom, Mr. Schorner found himself enchanted by the molten metal and its bright blue
- Inaugural Academies of Hampton class makes career pathway picks
- > Aug 13, 5:29 AM: The pathways fall under 16 small learning communities, collectively known as the Academies of Hampton, the effort to transform the city’s four high schools using a loose blueprint from Ford Next Generation Learning, the education
- A new vo-tech academy in Port St. Lucie? St. Lucie County School Board members question need
- > Aug 9, 6:34 AM: The school district should work with Indian River State College to submit a pitch to the city to develop the vo-tech school, Carvelli said. Developers of public, private and charter schools would also be invited to submit their
- Houston mayor salutes student apprentices at TRIO Pre-Apprenticeship Partnership Day
- > Aug 7, 5:12 AM: The mayor recognized TRIO Electric and its education partners, especially Spring Branch ISD and HCC, for creating an effective pre-apprenticeship program that prepares students for skilled workforce jobs in the electrical
- President Trump signs bipartisan technical-education bill into law
- > Aug 1, 7:30 AM: President Trump signed legislation Tuesday that renews a federal workforce development program, sending $1.2 billion a year to states but with fewer requirements from Washington on how to spend the money and assess the success of
- House passes tech-focused skills training legislation
- Jul 26, 7:11 AM: The Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act unanimously passed the House on Wednesday afternoon after passing the Senate on Monday. It is now headed to President Trump’s desk.
- Opinion: Not everyone is meant to attend college, vocational training key to Florida’s future
- > Jul 26, 6:08 AM: In my view, addressing the gap between educators and employers will require a retooling of Florida’s education system. School district performance is based in large part on the number of students graduating and enrolling in
- Trump Priority Gathers Steam as Senate Passes Career-Technical Education Bill
- Jul 24, 7:37 AM: The Senate has passed a bipartisan bill overhauling the nation's career and technical education law, advancing a key issue for the Trump administration when it comes to education.
- School-to-work programs score $13.6M in funds
- Jul 16, 5:38 AM: Twenty workforce training programs around the state will continue with the help of about $13.6 million in state Department of Higher Education grants to build stronger partnerships between schools and industry.
- How Tennessee leaders hope a change can help increase the number of students ready for the workforce
- Jul 13, 6:01 AM: The state says by rebranding as Tennessee Pathways, the initiative will continue to focus on locally driven partnerships while extending its reach into more counties and across all grade levels to prepare more students.
- Bevin Expands Work Ready Kentucky Scholarship
- Jul 13, 5:31 AM: The scholarship will now be available for high school students for dual credit career and technical education courses in pathways in Kentucky's top five high-demand sectors leading to industry-recognized certifications.
- The future of education reform in Indiana is pushing career-readiness to the forefront
- > Jul 13, 4:54 AM: After decades of blockbuster education policy changes that have catapulted charter schools, vouchers, and school choice into the national spotlight, the so-called education reform movement is in the midst of a change in
- Opinion: Focus on jobs keeps kids in school
- > Jul 11, 5:41 AM: By combining mentoring, career exploration, employability skills training, student-led leadership, job placement services, financial literacy, and a myriad of other services, students are connecting to the future. They are excited.
- Tyler ISD shatters goals for 2017-18 career and technology certifications
- > Jul 10, 5:38 AM: Before the state even launched its 60x30 initiative, which aims to have 60 percent of 25- to 34-year-olds have some sort of post-secondary credential by 2030, the district already was building its ambitious career and technology
Career Technical Education