- Proposed amendment could dissolve, merge Florida school districts
FL lawmakers pitch change to Constitution to revamp school district boundaries and oversight. Opponents see proposal as an attempt to reign in out-of-touch school board in South FL, express concerns about impact on rest of the >
Nov 16, 10:23 AM:
- Indian River School District and charter schools enlist mediator to settle funding dispute
FL district and charters turn to state mediation to settle dispute about local tax distribution. Charters want their students to get equal part of an operating levy approved by voters 5 years ago. State law does not mandate they >
Nov 2, 6:54 AM:
- School Board approves Pinecrest Lakes Academy
FL district takes extra time to examine new charter proposal after the closure of two charters last year. School board gives props to charter for their diligence & patience, unanimously approves application. School leader says >
Oct 27, 6:16 AM:
- Parents, students fleeing troubled charter school
FL families have deep regrets and pull kids from new charter after safety violations exposed. Report says kids left unattended and bullying not addressed. Story suggests disorder result of “lenient” state law regarding district >
Oct 14, 6:25 AM:
- Duval warns charter school manager to change application for 8th school
Big charter network in FL wants to open a new K-6 school, faces rejection because of track record at other schools. District concerned about charter governance and violations related to enrollment reports and special education >
Oct 12, 6:12 AM:
- Cincy schools: Charters are 'siphoning' money
In August, the Greater Cincinnati School Advocacy Network took a stand against testing edicts and charter schools, saying they siphon money away from needy public schools.
Oct 6, 8:33 AM:
- Vote for new Lake charter school delayed after concerns about finances
FL district delays vote on new charter after board finds conflicting info on finance reports. Charter claimed company operates in black, but records show sister school in Orlando ending year with deficit. Story notes board >
Oct 5, 6:29 AM:
- Somerset charter school will fight if School Board denies expansion
Charter high school in FL asks to expand into middle school grades. District delays vote to allow charter to address deficiencies in application. Charter leader contends issues have been addressed; says district is trying to >
Sep 22, 5:00 AM:
- Growing pains for the charter school movement
The charter school movement has experienced remarkable growth in the past five years, but that growth may stall if the movement can't overcome a few challenges.
Sep 15, 8:58 AM:
- Troubled Broward County charter school closes
FL charter closes after long list of violations related to finances and academics made public. Leader says enrollment dropped after district released correction order, school could not generate enough money to stay open. >
Sep 1, 6:06 AM:
- New choices limited for families of delayed Pasco charter school
Families coping with Garden Montessori Charter School's unexpected decision not to open in August won't have many new choices among Pasco County public schools heading into the new academic year.
Jul 29, 7:55 AM:
- Charter school letter of intent rejected
The state Education Department has once again said no to a local group that wants to establish a charter school — and school founder Donna Bennett is once again pledging to continue her effort.
Jul 29, 7:02 AM:
- LRSD takeover pushes parents toward private schools
Some parents are thinking about making academic changes this year after a state takeover of the Little Rock School District. Because of this, private schools are seeing the benefit.
Jul 29, 5:23 AM:
- State releases testing bonus details
Teachers and school districts now have official guidance from the state on the controversial teacher bonus based on ACT and SAT scores.
Jul 28, 7:23 AM:
- Arizona boarding school takes advantage of school tax credit program
While the school’s cost requires a certain amount of family wealth, a handful of Arizona students attend with the help of the state’s private-school tax-credit program, which allows individuals to get a dollar-for-dollar tax >
Jul 28, 5:42 AM:
- Southwest Side residents protest new Noble charters plan
Borrowing from a new playbook, Southwest Side elected officials and the area’s Local School Councils came out swinging Thursday against a proposal to place two new Noble Network charter schools in that area.
Jul 24, 6:52 AM:
- Rejection of charter school appeal favors New Castle district
- Jul 22, 7:23 AM
- PA Cyber lays off 43 employees, including 21 teachers
In effort to save $12 million PA Cyber charter school lays off 43 employees. With declining enrollment school felt restructuring was necessary. Provides positive outlook for school's future, however.
Jul 22, 6:10 AM:
- Gateway, other districts wrestle with charter school drain
PA school districts complain of the loss of funds when students move to charters. Have started implementing different policies to try and get students back.
Jul 22, 6:08 AM:
- New charter schools coming to 4 N.J. communities
NJ will open up four new charter schools for upcoming school year making statewide number 89. Presents minimal information and misses mark in both context and engagement.
Jul 20, 6:40 AM: