- 3 more Dane County private schools to participate in state voucher program
- Feb 7, 6:35 AM: The three new schools are among the 262 schools and school systems across Wisconsin that will participate in the statewide voucher program in 2019-20, representing a 23 percent increase over the current academic year.
- In 3rd legal action, unions contend lame-duck laws taking power from governor is unconstitutional
- > Feb 5, 8:14 AM: Gov. Scott Walker uses a Venn-like diagram to show the powers Gov.-elect Tony Evers and himself share, just before Walker signed three pieces of lame-duck legislation that, in part, limits other powers of Evers and future
- UW rejects application for independent Madison charter school
- Feb 5, 6:27 AM: The University of Wisconsin System has narrowly rejected an application for what would have been the third charter school in Madison not authorized by the Madison School District.
- Column: Evers Backs Off On Killing Vouchers
- > Jan 30, 6:29 AM: School choice supporters, while frustrated with Governor Walker’s tepid leadership on program expansion and financing, are now in a stronger position than they were eight years ago. They have growing evidence of program success and
- Controversy Shadows MPS Decision On Carmen Charter School Contract
- > Jan 23, 8:25 AM: Should the Milwaukee School District embrace or distance itself from charter schools? That is the larger question looming over the MPS board as it weighs whether to renew its contract and building leases with the Carmen Schools of
- Effort to boost the number of MPS students who graduate from college sees mixed results
- > Jan 11, 6:58 AM: A 2-year-old collaboration aimed at increasing the number of Milwaukee Public Schools students who graduate from college has made incremental progress on at least some of its goals, including increasing MPS' graduation rate and the
- New charter school in Green Bay School District set to open in September
- Jan 10, 8:05 AM: Northeast Wisconsin School of Innovation, or NEW Innovation, will focus on technology education in partnership with University Wisconsin Green Bay and Northeast Wisconsin Technical College.
- Green Bay School District's NEW, John Dewey charter schools moving under one roof
- > Jan 9, 6:23 AM: The Green Bay School Board recently approved a two-year lease for a property at 701 Cherry St. to house the Northeast Wisconsin School of Innovation (NEW). The district's other charter school, John Dewey Academy of Learning, will
- Letter: Include voucher-school satisfaction, too
- > Jan 9, 6:13 AM: I have no problem with Governor-Elect Evers' plan reported in the Jan. 7 Journal Times to include information on property tax bills showing taxpayers how much of their tax goes to private school vouchers, as long as those bills also
- Advocates on both sides react to Evers' desire to put voucher info on tax bills
- > Jan 7, 8:30 AM: Jim Bender, president of School Choice Wisconsin, said that when it comes to including voucher information on tax bills, context is important. It’s clear to him that those pushing for voucher funding information on tax bills are
- Charter school would seek to engage the 'most educationally disadvantaged'
- Jan 7, 8:15 AM: A school that would largely rely on students for its design is seeking to become an independent Madison charter school authorized by the University of Wisconsin System.
- Evers Wants Property Tax Bills To Show Cost Of Voucher Schools
- Jan 3, 6:48 AM: Democratic Gov.-elect Tony Evers said Wednesday that he wants Wisconsin property tax bills to show how much people are paying to support private voucher schools.
- Letter: Follow-up regarding voucher schools
- > Jan 3, 6:45 AM: If the state wants to complain about money going to voucher schools, taking it away from districts like RUSD, they had better look at how the money is spent by the districts first, then blame voucher schools. My daughters are
- Racine now itemizing voucher school costs with its property tax bills
- Dec 28, 6:34 AM: For the first time, the City of Racine is telling its residents how much of their local property taxes are going to support private voucher schools in a flyer distributed with their annual tax bills.
- Opinion: City should give school choice a chance
- Dec 21, 6:50 AM: Some taxpaying parents in Wisconsin prefer to choose schools for their kids rather than let the government choose for them.
- Personalized Pathways expansion approved by Madison School Board
- > Dec 19, 6:58 AM: Under the expansion, East, La Follette and Memorial high schools would add a second Pathways option focused on information technology and communications. All four of the city’s high schools currently have one Pathways option focused
- Two years after launch of UW charter schools office, tension with Madison remains
- > Dec 17, 6:29 AM: A refusal by the University of Wisconsin System to release records related to two charter schools not authorized by the Madison School District is again revealing tensions between the district and the Republican-created body that
- Manitowoc school taxes to go down, private school voucher payments up
- > Dec 5, 7:18 AM: Holzman noted Wisconsin’s private school voucher program accounts for about $1 million of the district’s $19 million tax levy or 45 cents of the $7.90 tax rate. Manitowoc’s voucher aid for 2018 is just more than $1 million, up from
- Students pursue what interests them at Montello charter school
- > Dec 4, 7:34 AM: "Charter schools like High Marq do a number of things for school districts and towns,” she said. “The grants are nice, yes, but charters provide another option for students when options seem few and far between, especially in rural
- Borsuk: Milwaukee Excellence Charter School is showing impressive results. 'We don't waste any time.'
- Dec 3, 8:31 AM: What impresses me the most about Milwaukee Excellence Charter School is not that it got the highest report card score of any school in Milwaukee, and the school is only in its third year.