- Fed grant for state charter schools may impact Eau Claire
- Oct 13, 7:33 AM: Now, schools like McKinley and Chippewa Valley Montessori could be in line for a big pay day - a five-year grant at more than 95-million dollars, courtesy of the U.S. Department of Education.
- Wisconsin gets $95M charter school grant from US Department of Education
- Oct 11, 7:02 AM: Wisconsin got the largest grant in the U.S. this year for charter schools, with the state education head saying the money will go to expanding schools for high school students from low-income families.
- Voucher students test similar to public students on Forward, above on ACT
- Oct 9, 5:35 AM: Recently released data on school testing shows that students in the Racine Parental Choice Program slightly outperformed their public school peers in some areas but are behind in others.
- RCCS Head of School: Voucher students come with significant academic challenges
- > Oct 4, 7:09 AM: Rock County Christian School Head of School Tim Befus said about three quarters of its voucher students are coming to the school with significant academic challenges. It's part of the reason he said the school has mixed results on
- Unified seeing fewer open enrollment losses
- > Sep 29, 7:05 AM: District officials won’t know how many of those losses are from potential Unified students taking advantage of the state’s private school voucher system until sometime next month, but Unified Superintendent Lolli Haws is heartened
- 'Handful' of pro-charter groups asking questions about creating Madison schools
- > Sep 25, 7:06 AM: State “charter czar” Gary Bennett said he’s answered technical questions from a “handful” of groups interested in starting independent charter schools in Madison, but there have been no formal proposals yet and he doubted any such
- Gov. Scott Walker signs $76B Wisconsin budget with money for schools, fees for hybrids
- > Sep 22, 4:59 AM: Families that have incomes of up to 220% of the federal poverty level, or about $45,000 for a family of three, will qualify for the statewide voucher program outside of Milwaukee and Racine. That's up from 185% of the poverty level
- Petition submitted for outdoor charter school: ‘Cambridge ACRES’ could open in 2018
- Sep 22, 4:32 AM: A group behind a proposed environmental and outdoor learning charter school in Cambridge took a big step Monday night.
- Scott Walker, Tony Evers clash over plan to comply with federal education law
- > Sep 18, 7:12 AM: The state plan outlining how Wisconsin intends to comply with the federal law known as the Every Student Succeeds Act will be submitted to the U.S. Department of Education on Monday, but without Gov. Scott Walker’s signature.
- La Crosse teachers union pres. not in favor of state's new provision for online licenses
- > Sep 13, 6:35 AM: In response to a significant teacher shortage problem in the state, Wisconsin's legislature is getting creative. That includes a provision in the proposed budget forcing the Department of Public Instruction to accept teachers who
- Wisconsin budget proposal opens the door to controversial online teacher prep program
- > Sep 11, 6:25 AM: A provision in the proposed state budget is raising the ire of educators and leaders of Wisconsin's schools of education who say it would lower the quality of new teachers in the classroom, most likely in schools with the neediest
- Budget provision moves charter school forward
- > Sep 6, 6:11 AM: A proposed charter school in the Lakeland area primarily for special-needs students, and with an autism specific program, took a giant step forward this week with the Legislature's Joint Finance Committee's approval of a state
- Madison School Board changes charter policy after rejecting Montessori contract
- Sep 5, 6:08 AM: After rejecting a contract for what would have been the district’s first public Montessori charter school, the Madison School Board has started changing its approach to considering charter school applications.
- State GOP extends school vouchers to higher-income brackets
- > Aug 31, 5:12 AM: The voucher plan — which was not part of Republican Gov. Scott Walker’s proposed 2017-19 budget being reviewed by the legislature — was approved by the Legislature’s Joint Finance Committee on a party line 12-4
- Lawmakers set $639M in new funding for schools, voucher expansion in next state budget
- Aug 29, 5:28 AM: The budget-writing committee also increased the household income limits for participation in the statewide private voucher school program.
- Manitowoc schools deny kids who apply to virtual schools
- Aug 28, 4:46 AM: Manitowoc Public School District rejects all summer applications for students who want to enroll for online classes in another school district, saying kids won’t get a solid education through virtual schools.
- Montessori charter school attempt will continue, supporters say
- > Aug 23, 6:35 AM: The Madison School Board’s narrow rejection of a proposed five-year contract for a public Montessori charter school on Monday isn’t deterring supporters and may not represent the end of the process around the
- Madison School Board rejects contract for district's first public Montessori charter school
- Aug 22, 6:03 AM: By a 4-3 vote, Madison School Board members on Monday rejected a proposed five-year contract that would have established the city’s first public Montessori charter school.
- Lighthouse Christian School moving to bigger digs after voucher-fueled enrollment growth
- Aug 11, 7:46 AM: A Madison religious school that has seen an enrollment boom under the state’s private-school voucher program will move within weeks to a newly renovated Southwest Side location offering triple the space for its students.
- UW System office seeks charter school proposals; Milwaukee market may be tapped out
- Aug 7, 7:06 AM: More than two years after it was created as part of the state's 2015-'17 budget, the University of Wisconsin System's Office of Educational Opportunity is taking steps to authorize its first charter schools.