- Local private school supports bill requiring employee background checks
- Jul 21, 7:06 AM: Governor Walker has signed legislation that requires private schools in Wisconsin’s voucher program to conduct employee background checks.
- Charter, virtual schools could expand statewide under Senate GOP budget
- Jul 20, 7:42 AM: The number of independent charter and private virtual schools in Wisconsin could expand under the new state budget proposal put forward by Senate Republicans this week.
- New H.O.P.E. laws create recovery charter school, more rural addiction centers
- Jul 18, 7:44 AM: The agenda has been a mission for Republican Rep. John Nygren of Marinette. Nygren's daughter has struggled with heroin addiction. He says Wisconsin has made a lot of progress, but there is still a long way to go.
- These Suburban Moms Are The Force Behind Milwaukee’s Newest Charter School
- > Jul 14, 6:36 AM: Charter schools of all shapes and sizes populate a sizeable chunk of Milwaukee’s education scene. But this year, only one new charter is joining the field: Pathways High School. Chartered by UW-Milwaukee, Pathways’ mission is to
- Push to give school vouchers to middle-income families hits wall
- Jul 12, 5:16 AM: A proposal to expand the number of private school vouchers in Wisconsin isn’t gaining traction with some Republican lawmakers who have previously backed expanding school choice.
- Betsy DeVos and school choice: helping or hurting racial education disparities?
- Jul 10, 7:38 AM: Wisconsin has some of the worst racial achievement disparities in the nation, and Madison has seen plenty of debate over the best ways to narrow the gap.
- Andrews Academy gets another opportunity
- Jun 29, 6:37 AM: The School District of Beloit Board of Education voted unanimously Tuesday to give a one-year extension to Roy Chapman Andrews Academy (RCAA).
- Teacher Shortage, Vouchers, Top Concerns: Martin
- Jun 26, 7:58 AM: The nation's teachers gather this week in Boston for their annual meeting and a Wisconsin delegate says there are four key areas under discussion.
- Assembly to vote on voucher school background checks
- Jun 21, 8:00 AM: The state Assembly is expected to pass a bill that would require Wisconsin private voucher schools to conduct employee background checks.
- Portage group tackles school vouchers in town hall
- Jun 20, 6:32 AM: School leaders and community members took a deeper dive into the issue of private-school vouchers at the second “Making a Difference” town hall meeting at Portage Public Library.
- La Crosse area educators weigh in on Wisconsin’s ESSA plan
- > Jun 20, 5:53 AM: According to the draft plan, Wisconsin will add chronic student absenteeism — students missing several days of school throughout the year — to its accountability indicators, which will be used to determine which schools and
- Wisconsin lawmakers fast track catch-all school-choice bill
- > Jun 14, 5:41 AM: A school choice bill on a fast track in the Legislature would eliminate some accountability requirements for private schools in the state-funded voucher programs, including those that dictate standards for meeting average attendance
- Changes to voucher program on fast track for Senate vote
- Jun 9, 5:23 AM: A bipartisan bill introduced this week aimed at making the state's K-12 voucher program more appealing to private schools is on a fast track to be voted on by the Senate next week.
- Ripon might create a virtual charter school
- > Jun 1, 6:05 AM: Two years ago, the Ripon Area School District sought to answer a question through a survey: Why do residents choose schools outside the district during the state’s open enrollment period Online education appeared to be the No. 1
- The Nation’s Oldest Voucher Program: Beacon Of Hope, Or Failed Experiment?
- > May 19, 7:09 AM: Milwaukee has the nation's longest-running, publicly-funded voucher program. For 27 years it has targeted African-American kids from low-income families, children who otherwise could not afford the tuition at a private or religious
- Janesville’s ARISE Virtual Academy unlike any other in the state
- > May 11, 5:58 AM: Models, hockey players, travelers, under achievers, over achievers, kids with special needs and a variety of other independent spirits have found a place at ARISE Virtual Academy. The charter school is an online school that is
- Rock River Charter School students defy classification
- May 8, 6:55 AM: For nearly two decades, Rock River Charter School has represented, in the public's imagination, the notion of “alternative high school."
- Charting new ground: Janesville’s charter schools provide options for students
- May 8, 5:33 AM: The Janesville School District has four charter schools. For the next four days, The Gazette will look at the challenges and successes at each school.
- Scott Walker open to changes to private school tuition tax benefit
- Apr 21, 6:27 AM: Gov. Scott Walker is open to amending a private school tuition tax benefit, two-thirds of which is going to families making more than $100,000 a year, though he isn't seeking any particular changes himself.
- As state’s ‘Charter Czar’ finishes first year, independent charter school for Madison still long way
- > Apr 18, 5:42 AM: The very soonest Madison residents could see an independent charter school open its doors in the city is fall 2018 — a year later than state officials first planned. That’s not foot-dragging, it’s prudence, according to Gary