- Opinion: Empower parents with school choice and support public education, too
- > Feb 26, 6:41 AM: First, I trust parents. Second, I support our public schools. I believe that we should empower parents to make the educational decisions for their children. Trusting parents and supporting public schools are not mutually exclusive.
- Salt Lake teachers, students rally against ‘bullying’ from Utah Legislature
- Feb 25, 6:48 AM: Jennifer Woznick, a fifth grade teacher at Meadowlark Elementary School, described to a cheering crowd of other teachers, students and parents what she called examples of recent “bullying” from Utah lawmakers.
- San Francisco Pauses School Renamings to Focus on Returning Students to Classrooms
- > Feb 24, 9:26 AM: Amid substantial pushback, the head of the San Francisco Board of Education said this week that the board was pausing plans to purge the district of school names that it said were linked to racism, sexism or slavery until after it
- S.F. school board approves plan with labor unions to reopen classrooms
- Feb 24, 8:00 AM: San Francisco school officials unanimously approved a health and safety agreement with labor unions allowing the reopening of schools before the end of the academic year.
- Huge Waiting List for Orange County Classical Academy Validates its Approach to Education
- > Feb 24, 7:43 AM: Across California, where barely ten percent of K-12 public schools are charters, the Waiting for Superman scenario plays out year after year. A new charter school in Orange County, the Orange County Classical Academy, offers yet
- Portland High School students, parents call for more in-person learning
- > Feb 24, 7:38 AM: Some Portland High School students and parents say the students are not getting enough in-person learning despite the proposed schedule changes from the superintendent. Parents upset by Portland proposal for limited in-person
- BISD, Green Dot Public Schools partnership 'not a takeover'
- Feb 24, 7:16 AM: Teachers and parents had the first opportunity Tuesday night at a virtual town hall to meet officials with Green Dot Public Schools, the Los Angeles-based charter operator that will be staffing ML King Middle School next year.
- Editorial: If opening schools means vaccinating teachers now, do it
- > Feb 23, 8:35 AM: Let’s not kid ourselves. Efforts by both Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office and state legislators to reopen schools by vaccinating teachers aren’t the result of science or even fairness. But with teachers nervous about returning to
- Seattle Public Schools delay return to in-person learning amid union negotiations
- Feb 23, 8:10 AM: Seattle Public Schools announced Monday that it was delaying a return to in-person learning until at least March 8 because of a snag in reaching an agreement with the teachers' union.
- Survey: NM teachers want students vaccinated before returning to in-person learning
- > Feb 23, 7:57 AM: A lot of teachers in New Mexico don’t want to go back to the classroom until they’ve been vaccinated, but now a new teacher survey shows a lot of them don’t want to come back until every student has had the
- Angry North Bay Parents Use Electronic Billboard to Send Message to Reopen Schools
- Feb 23, 7:10 AM: The electronic sign, shared with several other advertisers, says, “Missing: all California students, last seen March 13, 2020. Reward-their future. #OpenSonomaCountySchoolsNow.
- Solano County parents frustrated with distance learning create classroom in their garage
- Feb 23, 6:48 AM: You've heard of one room school houses? How about the two-car garage school house where the Ferrucci family, their kids and friends attend class together.
- Families demand wider school reopening as LAUSD moves toward limited in-person instruction
- > Feb 23, 6:43 AM: Los Angeles schools will resume some services next week for a small percentage of students with special needs, Supt. Austin Beutner announced Monday. However, the measures fall far short of demands from parents who rallied on the
- New charter school opening in North Las Vegas this fall
- Feb 23, 6:27 AM: CIVICA Nevada Career & Collegiate Academy, an individualized instruction academy, is set to make its debut this fall. The school’s focus is on hands-on learning through STEM and career-oriented curriculum.
- Bay District Schools superintendent says over 200 kids are “missing”
- Feb 23, 6:06 AM: COVID-19 has impacted many things, children’s education is one of them. The pandemic has amplified the rate of “missing” children at Bay District Schools.
- Retaliation threatens voucher extension bill
- Feb 23, 6:02 AM: Republican senators gave the go-ahead Monday for what could be a huge expansion in the use of tax dollars to send children to private and parochial schools. But it may not be the last word.
- No quick path to reopening L.A. Unified is emerging as school year slips away
- > Feb 22, 8:55 AM: The union’s posture — similar to that of school employee unions in San Francisco and of the California Teachers Assn. — comes as union leaders in the nation’s second-largest school district continue protracted negotiations with
- Editorial: Politics, not science, drives school reopening demands
- Feb 22, 8:30 AM: California public school parents have become understandably exasperated with the months of squabbling between teacher unions, county officials, the state Legislature and Gov. Gavin Newsom over school reopenings.
- Editorial: Don’t let school vouchers come to Idaho. Properly fund our public schools first
- Feb 22, 7:57 AM: Idaho legislators are beginning to bring bills forward that would provide taxpayer dollars to individuals who choose private schools.
- Opinion: Think voucher expansion helps poor kids in bad schools? Then convince their advocates
- Feb 22, 7:43 AM: If Arizona Republicans believe private school vouchers will help fix our education problems, they should work to get others on board with an expansion.