- Teachers union won't back candidates who voted for PERS reforms
- Oct 18, 6:52 AM: A third Oregon union says it won’t endorse or contribute to primary campaigns for candidates who voted for reforms to Oregon’s costly public pension system earlier this year.
- Charter school that opened in Kent this fall abruptly closes
- Oct 17, 6:25 AM: A charter school in Kent that debuted this fall suddenly closed because of a staff exodus and dwindling student enrollment — making it the fourth Washington charter school to shutter in the past year.
- Opinion: It’s time for change in the NAACP’s leadership
- Oct 16, 8:28 AM: Over the past several years, the leadership of the San Francisco NAACP has again and again showcased that they are out of touch with what’s actually happening in the Black community.
- Letters to the Editor: Teachers don’t need mandates on handling ‘willful defiance’
- > Oct 16, 8:22 AM: There is nothing new in the article on new rules limiting school suspensions that good, caring teachers haven’t been doing forever. Spending time with troubled kids, being a role model for a problem child for other kids to see, and
- Charter school builds courtyard to help students focus on mental health
- Oct 16, 8:13 AM: Colorado Early Colleges Colorado Springs built a new green space outside for students to have a place to relax and unwind.
- Parents up in arms over potential closure of St. George Academy
- Oct 16, 6:39 AM: The parents of children attending St. George Academy are heartbroken by the Utah State Charter School Board’s recent decision to close the school.
- Opinion: Republican lawmakers waste $175,000 to fuel their grudge match against Kathy Hoffman
- > Oct 16, 5:33 AM: Rep. Kelly Townsend, the Mesa Republican who requested the audit, acknowledged that Hoffman has been shorted by the Legislature. However, she said Hoffman seems to be spending more time doing “forensic audits” to determine how
- Commentary: How Parents Helped Transform a Los Angeles School
- > Oct 15, 7:22 AM: Urban public schools in America have been failing for generations. Yet the turnaround of one public school shows how progress can be made. When parents and an education-reform nonprofit recently stepped in to take control of
- Union says Park County Schools teacher strike will continue; district cancels classes Tuesday
- Oct 15, 6:46 AM: Union leaders said Monday afternoon the teacher strike in Park County will continue on Tuesday into a second day.
- White Pine teaches legislators about charter schools
- Oct 15, 6:14 AM: Fifty state legislators came through White Pine Charter School Monday morning to see some of the things being taught by the school’s STEM program.
- APS: Aurora charter school serving poor, working families faces charter sanction due to enrollment
- > Oct 15, 6:10 AM: The fate of a brand-new north Aurora charter school has been in jeopardy since early this month, when Aurora Public Schools officials told Aurora Community School it is substantially under-enrolled and violating its contract to
- Opinion: California’s education establishment continues to fail students and families
- Oct 15, 5:57 AM: The recent release by the CA Department of Education of the 2018-19 statewide proficiency test scores reveals no surprises: we’re still failing California’s 6.2 million public school students.
- Arizona legislators vote to audit Education Department's Empowerment Scholarships program
- Oct 15, 5:02 AM: A legislative committee voted on Thursday to audit the Arizona Department of Education amid long-running delays in applications for the state's voucher-like program.
- Only half of California students meet English standards and fewer meet math standards, test scores show
- > Oct 11, 8:22 AM: Just over half of public school students who took the state’s standardized English language arts test performed at grade level, while only 4 in 10 are proficient in math, scores that represent a slow upward trend over the past four
- Opinion: We must invest in rural schools
- Oct 11, 8:19 AM: To prepare Montana’s children for the future, we need to make big investments in our education system and that includes helping rural areas and states provide a quality education to our students today.
- A3 Charter Scandal Reveals Major Flaws in State’s Auditing Process
- > Oct 11, 7:44 AM: California lawmakers created a system that places just one process at the forefront of detecting fraud and mismanagement in the state’s schools: a yearly audit, conducted by a “state-approved,” “independent” auditor, according to
- Beyond the Books: 2 Utah charter schools could close by year's end
- Oct 11, 7:42 AM: St. George Academy in Washington County and Capstone Classical Academy in Pleasant View are now on a watch list and have 14 days to ask for a meeting to appeal the charter school board’s decision.
- Hawthorne Elementary making gains
- > Oct 11, 6:54 AM: Among changes, Hawthorne has gone to a longer-than-usual school year and day, implemented “blended learning” that incorporates technology throughout all classes, and put teachers on an eight-hour workday to allow for professional
- Opinion: It’s time to trust the parents
- > Oct 11, 5:52 AM: A young child struggles in school, is diagnosed with dyslexia, attends a variety of different schools to find the right fit and goes on to a successful career in business and politics. This is the true life portrayal of Gov. Gavin
- Kafer: Support school board candidates who know the value of school choice
Think you know the answer? Ten of the 15 top schools recently recognized by the government and U.S. News & World Report are schools of choice. Eight schools are public charter schools, which operate under independent boards. The >
Oct 11, 5:30 AM: