- Local families make home-school choice
- Jan 30, 6:19 AM: One Franklin County group of families made the choice to enroll students in the Classical Conversations home-schooling program – just in time for National School Choice Week, Jan. 21 through Jan. 27.
- Bills would give home-schoolers more access to programs
- > Jan 29, 7:34 AM: The so-called Tebow bill has been a recurring piece of proposed Virginia legislation for nearly 20 years. Nicknamed after Heisman-winning football player and former home-schooled student Tim Tebow, the bill seeks to allow
- Richmond assembly celebrates National School Choice Week
- > Jan 25, 7:44 AM: A group of elementary school students stood at the front of the Richmond Prep Christian Academy assembly room dressed in school uniforms and smiles from ear to ear. Around their necks were yellow scarves with graduation caps and the
- Senate bill aims to create more charter schools in the state
- > Jan 24, 8:29 AM: Across the country, schools are participating in National School Choice Week creating awareness about the many different educational options for students. In Virginia, Senator Mark Obenshain is hoping to make charter schools a more
- Conservative Group Goes After Northam’s Opposition to School Choice
- > Nov 6, 6:00 AM: A conservative group is seizing on Democrat Ralph Northam's opposition to pro-school choice legislation in recent years, as it makes its closing argument for why Virginia voters shouldn't put Northam in the governor's
- Report: Virginia's high-poverty schools don't have same opportunities for students
- > Oct 31, 5:16 AM: Students in high-poverty schools, or schools where at least 75 percent receive free and reduced-price lunch, have less access to core subjects like math and science, lower levels of state and local funding for instructors, who are
- Virginia schools chief to retire
- Oct 24, 5:23 AM: Virginia’s top public schools official will retire at the end of the year, the Virginia Department of Education announced Monday.
- HCLA founder vows to fight
- > Oct 13, 7:07 AM: Speaking with what appeared to be measured emotion, Heritage Collegiate Leadership Academy (HCLA) founder and Principal Dr. Kashi Bazemore Hall vowed to fight the recommendation of the Charter School Advisory Board (CSAB) of the
- How Hurricane Matthew helped spark a turnaround at an elementary school
- > Sep 28, 5:26 AM: When the state released official results last month, Park View not only scored well enough to reach full accreditation, but students performed slightly better than expected, Flowers said. As of Wednesday, only 14 Virginia schools
- How Richmond school officials plan on turning around underperforming schools
- Sep 21, 5:13 AM: With less than half of Richmond public schools gaining full accreditation from the state, school officials are turning to individual plans to help turn around underperforming schools.
- How the Richmond community feels about quality of education in city schools
- Sep 20, 5:38 AM: Fewer than one in five people in the Richmond community approve of the overall quality of education in Richmond Public Schools, according to a survey done by a consulting firm hired by the division.
- Where do Virginia’s Democratic gubernatorial candidates stand on school choice and other education issues?
- Jun 13, 6:30 AM: Governors have a great deal to say about public education in the states they run, but voters don’t often cast their ballots with education as a prime issue.
- Richmond education advocates raise questions about mayor's education compact
- Jun 8, 6:35 AM: More than a half-dozen advocacy groups asked elected leaders on Wednesday to delay implementing Mayor Levar Stoney’s signature education initiative until a new Richmond Public Schools superintendent is hired.
- Local, state reps rail against votes hurting public schools
- May 18, 6:03 AM: Local and state Virginia Education Association leaders criticized lawmakers for voting for bills they said could harm public education funding during the Pittsylvania Education Association’s annual meeting Wednesday.
- Governor vetoes Republicans' 'educational choice' legislation
- Mar 27, 5:26 AM: Gov. Terry McAuliffe on Thursday vetoed several bills that Republicans say would have increased school choice but McAuliffe said would have undermined public schools.
- McAuliffe vetoes legislation on charter schools, virtual schools
- Mar 24, 5:10 AM: Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe Thursday vetoed legislation sponsored in the House of Delegates by Del. Steve Landes that would have allowed the state Board of Education to create regional charter school divisions.
- In York County appearance, governor hopeful Gillespie backs charters, tax cuts
- > Mar 22, 6:35 AM: During his trip, Gillespie promised to back legislation expanding charter schools. York River Academy is one of just nine charters in Virginia due to rules that require local school systems to approve charter schools in their area
- Va. legislators send governor bill to encourage charters in districts with struggling schools
- > Mar 3, 7:20 AM: Virginia lawmakers have sent a bill to Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) that would ease the creation of charter schools in cities and counties with chronically underperforming schools, an effort to expand the charter movement in a state
- Corolla charter school expanding again next year, but still has more applicants than spaces
- > Feb 27, 7:31 AM: Judy and Trinity Yanez hope to get their 8-year-old son, Khalel, into Corolla’s charter school, where students often learn through the Outer Banks environment, whether by catching blue crabs or viewing the ocean from the top of a
- Lawmakers in Virginia pushing for more charter schools
- > Feb 17, 7:33 AM: Several bills are making their way through the General Assembly that would allow school divisions with at least two unaccredited schools to join forces and ask the state for permission to create a charter school to help