- Opinion: Charter schools, the future of teachers unions
While they’ve yet to gain much traction in Michigan, the work of teachers unions with charter schools in other states offers lessons about how unions can respond when unionization must happen voluntarily.
Apr 25, 8:19 AM:
- President Donald Trump praises Tennessee's effort to approve education savings accounts
- Apr 25, 8:17 AM: Gov. Bill Lee's education savings account is set to be voted on in the Senate on Thursday. The current version of the legislation in front of the upper chamber is significantly different than the one approved in the House.
- Review & Outlook: A Tennessee Education
- > Apr 25, 8:15 AM: This week the Tennessee Senate can give children now trapped in failing schools a lifeline to a decent education. Let’s hope the Volunteer State Senators seize the opportunity—and pass the voucher bill pushed by Gov. Bill
- New Orleans teen gets 115 college acceptance letters
- > Apr 25, 8:13 AM: Love, a senior at the International High School of New Orleans, applied to and was unanimously accepted at 115 schools across the country, according to her school. Her efforts also resulted in more than $3.7 million in offered
- Ohio's urban school districts outperforming rural ones
- Apr 25, 8:00 AM: Even with higher rates of poverty in Ohio’s major cities, urban school districts are outperforming rural districts, a recent study by The Ohio State University shows.
- Walkout worries
- > Apr 25, 7:57 AM: Both district leadership and the teachers union said they support increased funding and want to minimize problems for parents and students who will have to deal with an increasingly likely school closure. What they disagree on is
- Education Or Corporations? Columbus Teachers Make Their Case For A New Contract
- > Apr 25, 7:54 AM: Right now, though, the union’s big ask has to do with tax abatements. The school district’s primary source of funding comes from property taxes, and organizers criticize the city's deals offering breaks in exchange for new
- TPS announces plans to open Spanish-speaking academy
- > Apr 25, 7:51 AM: Toledo Public Schools board members on Tuesday unanimously approved a resolution to “open and operate” Escuela SMART Academy. Officials said the move will essentially involve TPS taking over Toledo SMART Bilingual Elementary, a K-5
- Partnership between charter school, CCRI encourages diversity in nursing ranks
- Apr 25, 7:49 AM: Graduates of the Rhode Island Nursing Institute will now be able to enter the Community College of Rhode Island’s nursing program and complete their associate degree in two years.
- Alabama Senate debates giving local tax dollars to charter schools
- Apr 25, 7:44 AM: The Alabama Senate today debated a bill that would allow local tax dollars to be diverted from established public school systems and follow the students to new charter schools.
- Judge Denies School Districts From Intervening In ECOT Case
- Apr 25, 7:43 AM: A judge has denied local school districts from intervening in the civil lawsuit against what was the largest online charter school in Ohio, ECOT.
- New public charter school fills a need on the east side of Indianapolis
A new public charter school recently opened on the east side, filling a need in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods across Indianapolis. Once John Marshall closed, there was a need for a quality school serving families in >
Apr 25, 7:41 AM:
- Meridian Medical Arts Charter School seniors preparing for graduation
- Apr 25, 7:39 AM: Meridian Medical Arts Charter School will soon celebrate its fourteenth graduating class and its biggest, with 50 students earning their diplomas. There are still a few things left to do before the big day approaches.
- Nashville charter school Knowledge Academies under scrutiny for financial, academic issues
- Apr 25, 7:37 AM: The Nashville charter school Knowledge Academies is under scrutiny for financial and academic issues that culminated in the firing of its top official earlier this month.
- CPS, charter operators lock horns over funding formula
- > Apr 25, 7:35 AM: Chicago Public Schools leaders are withholding millions of dollars from city charter school operators as the district seeks more leeway in the number of dollars they’re required to set aside for the privately managed, publicly
- 26 school districts cancel class ahead of teacher rally in downtown Raleigh
- Apr 25, 7:32 AM: So far, 26 school districts and several charter schools have announced that they have canceled classes on May 1 because of the number of teachers expected to be absent.
- Clearfield School Board supports cyber school financing reform
- Apr 25, 7:30 AM: Clearfield Area Board of School Directors passed a resolution supporting a bill pending in the state legislature supporting a change in how cyber schools are funded.
- California opinions on charter schools are divided—and more complex than portrayed
- Apr 25, 7:28 AM: The growth in charter schools has become one of the year’s most contentious issues in California. Now a statewide poll shows that not only are state lawmakers divided on the issue, but California voters are as well.
- Lincoln Charter students help restore vets graves
- Apr 25, 7:27 AM: Six eighth graders from Lincoln Charter School’s Denver campus took part in Operation Restore Dignity, a project to restore veteran’s grave markers.
- New York City charter school rent payments set to climb 54 percent this year
- Apr 25, 7:25 AM: New York City’s bill for charter school rent is expected to jump significantly this year, education department officials confirmed.