- DeVos backs expanding school choice for military children
- > Feb 23, 8:30 AM: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos on Thursday called for allowing military families to use federal funds to pay for private school or other educational services for their children. The idea is part of Trump administration’s focus on
- Charter School Continues to Grow
- Feb 23, 8:29 AM: The Young Scholars of Central PA Charter School recently expanded and was renovated, giving a growing student body a better space in which to learn.
- Oklahoma City councilman wants school district converted to charter system
- > Feb 23, 8:20 AM: The Oklahoma City school district is preparing to search for its 12th superintendent since the year 2000. As the district faces some challenging days ahead, one Oklahoma City councilman has introduced an idea to turn the school
- Western Pa.'s school districts set up own cyber academies to keep money, students in-house
- > Feb 23, 8:06 AM: Instead of paying for students to be educated elsewhere, Westmoreland County's largest school district had to find a way to meet the demand for online education. Four years ago, Hempfield Area opened its own cyber academy. This
- Detroit Schools Will Sell to a Prison, But Not a Charter School
- Feb 23, 8:04 AM: After spending months fighting to prevent the sale of an abandoned building to a charter school, Detroit’s superintendent supports the sale of another property to a prison.
- Meet the charter school whose enrollment is catching CCISD's attention
- > Feb 23, 7:56 AM: So, when a district leader informed CCISD school board members that a specific charter school's enrollment increase (K through 5th grade) is beginning to factor in to projected enrollment decreases at CCISD, it raised questions
- Charter schools could get more money if NC lawmakers overhaul K-12 funding system
- Feb 23, 7:47 AM: Charter school supporters lobbied state lawmakers Thursday for more money at a time when charter schools and traditional public schools are arguing with each over about how much funding they receive.
- Panel vote advances proposal on tuition
- > Feb 23, 7:27 AM: The Legislature's Joint Budget Committee voted Thursday to advance a proposal that would allow taxpayers with 529 college savings plans to use withdrawals for tuition at a public, private or religious elementary or secondary
- Democratic state senators condemn proposal minimizing the role of Gary's elected School BoardDemocratic state senators condemn proposal minimizing the role of Gary's elected School Board
- > Feb 23, 7:01 AM: Some two dozen Gary residents and Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson joined state Sen. Eddie Melton, D-Merrillville, Thursday at the Statehouse as he condemned a proposal to further sideline the already powerless elected trustees of the
- Gov. Bill Haslam convened a ‘power meeting’ between Tennessee’s charter school and district leaders. Here’s why.
- > Feb 23, 6:53 AM: There isn’t a charter school within 100 miles of Rep. John Forgety’s district, but the East Tennessee lawmaker has become the mediator in a lingering dispute between the state’s charter sector and its two largest school districts,
- House Ed passes charter school bill after agenda discrepancy
- > Feb 23, 6:50 AM: But legal questions may follow the vote. The official agenda for Thursday’s meeting indicated House Education would vote on just one bill — House Bill 556. That’s not the bill the committee considered or voted on. Instead the
- Innovation designation proposed for Jasper High School
- > Feb 23, 6:46 AM: Students, teachers and administrators agree that the flex scheduling initiative began last fall has been successful. The policy allows students to pace their own learning, provides time for students needing one on one instruction,
- Philly will get one new charter school; SRC denies 6 more
- > Feb 23, 6:42 AM: The School Reform Commission Thursday night approved a single new charter school for Philadelphia, another outpost for the successful MaST network in Northeast Philadelphia and adding 1,300 students to the city’s charter
- Pittsburgh Public Schools board rejects proposals for two new charter schools
- Feb 23, 6:39 AM: Pittsburgh Public Schools board members on Wednesday rejected the applications of two new charter schools.
- Alna silences public comment on school choice
Next month, the town will vote on whether or not to continue paying for public and private school for all children living in town. If passed, the town would only pay for public schools until they start high school, then students >
Feb 23, 6:24 AM:
- Proposal takes shape for charter middle school
- Feb 23, 6:08 AM: After almost two years of organizing to get a new independent charter middle school as part of the San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District, a final decision is expected next month.
- Thackston Charter sues York City district over closure agreement
- > Feb 23, 6:03 AM: On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the York City school board approved a resolution authorizing district solicitors Levin Legal Group PC and Gettle & Veltri to pursue legal action to ensure the closure of the charter school by the end of the
- In high school, students prepare for workforce
- > Feb 23, 5:54 AM: February is Career and Technical Education month, and it’s a time McGlynn feels especially proud. Unlike many school districts, Waunakee is able to offer high school courses in all six areas of career and technical
- Education Mediocrity Remains - New Center for Education Reform Report Outlines "disappointing reality" For Most Students
- > Feb 22, 8:15 AM: Education gaps, access to training, technology and lack of options all add up to a ‘disappointing reality’ for most US citizens, according a new report authored by Dr. Cara Candal, Research Fellow at the Center for Education
- More Missouri students take AP exams, but achievement gap persists
- > Feb 22, 7:11 AM: But in the midst of this expansion, Missouri is leaving behind black students. Just 25.5 percent of black students’ scores were a 3 or higher, compared to a statewide average of 63.9 percent. Black students also had the lowest mean