- Utah lawmakers vote down school choice proposal
- > Mar 1, 9:36 AM: The Hope Scholarship bill was defeated in the House of Representatives on Monday, even after significant changes the legislation’s sponsor said rendered it so it would not harm public education financially and would require
- Utah Gov. Cox says he’ll veto school choice voucher bill — until teachers make $60K
- > Feb 18, 6:52 AM: Gov. Spencer Cox told reporters during his monthly PBS Utah news conference on Thursday that even though he supports a school choice voucher system, he would veto HB331 — saying now is not the time. What needs to come first, he
- School voucher bill wins narrow approval from Utah lawmakers
- Feb 17, 7:05 AM: Some parents and teachers said they’re concerned that HB331 will drain money from the public school system.
- Utah school choice moves ahead as opponents question state money going to faith-based schools
- Feb 16, 9:48 AM: Despite concerns about constitutionality and accountability, the House Revenue and Taxation Committee voted 6-5 Tuesday in support of HB331, the Hope Scholarship bill.
- Lawmakers say new school choice bill is not a ‘voucher bill,’ but UEA still doesn’t support it
- > Feb 8, 8:50 AM: Lawmakers and educators appear to be at odds, once again, about a school choice bill being proposed on the Capitol. Legislators say this is different than the controversial school voucher bill of 2007, but the Utah Education
- 42 teaching positions eliminated in SLC from decline in student enrollment
- > Feb 7, 10:05 AM: The Salt Lake City School Board eliminated 42 teaching positions next year, citing lower enrollment numbers. Board members made the cut but said, really, they need to cut more than twice that — about 76 teaching
- Another battle over school vouchers?
- Feb 3, 10:18 AM: Could we see another political battle over school vouchers? One lawmaker says he intends to bring the voucher discussion to Capitol Hill, but he believes the idea won’t be as controversial as it was last time.
- Teachers organization vows to kill transparency bill
- > Jan 27, 7:27 AM: The proposal would require instructors to disclose virtually everything they teach in class. It also includes a provision that would allow for parents or students to sue a school district if they believe that a teacher or district
- Opinion: Educators know the value of school choice
- > Jan 25, 7:13 AM: As a teacher in a public charter school, I know the importance of school choice when it comes to students and their families. My school is a dual immersion program nestled in Salt Lake City, in the heart of the community we strive
- Utah schools are asking parents to work as substitute teachers
- > Jan 19, 9:44 AM: Yandary Chatwin, a spokeswoman for the Salt Lake City School District, says, “Anyone who’s willing and able to substitute, we absolutely welcome you to apply for that.” Chatwin explains that many of those who would normally be
- What makes this Utah charter school unique
- Jan 5, 7:40 AM: The Open Classroom is a K-8 free public charter school where children learn to be capable leaders, problem-solvers, and friends.
- Amid omicron surge, some Utah parents pull kids back to remote learning
- Jan 5, 7:15 AM: As COVID-19 cases in Utah soar to their highest levels at any point in the pandemic, disruptions to school are returning in full force in the new year.
- Audit finds holes in accountability between state, charter school boards
- > Nov 24, 8:07 AM: A poorly defined relationship between the Utah State Board of Education – which is made up of elected members – and the Utah State Charter School Board – made up of appointed members – creates gaps in accountability, a legislative
- One Utah online school is thriving even after classrooms reopened
- Nov 19, 9:32 AM: Debate over distance learning raged last year in Utah and around the country as COVID-19 largely shut down traditional schools. But, one online school that was already established, pre-pandemic, continues to thrive.
- The pandemic threw a spotlight on the virtues of virtual school
- > Sep 7, 3:50 PM: As principal of Mountain Heights Academy since its inception in 2009 — it was first called Open High School until grades seven through nine were added in 2012 — Tonks has watched a slow and steady growth as students around the state
- Utah parents sue state for banning school districts from enacting mask mandates
- Aug 24, 10:55 AM: A group of Utah parents is suing the state for its ban on school districts enacting their own mask mandates — which they say leaves kids “unnecessarily unprotected and at-risk” from COVID-19 in the classroom.
- Freedom Preparatory Academy opens new K-5 charter school in St. George
- > Aug 16, 3:44 PM: When asked why parents should send their children to Freedom Prep instead of a public school, Winn said, “The ability to make personalized decisions for our students. Freedom Prep prioritizes on personalized education for its
- Does your child’s school district offer online learning options?
- > Aug 11, 9:31 AM: Many Utah school districts have decided to offer online learning options for the 2021 to 2022 school year. These options are meant to accommodate students who preferred learning from home, as well as those who do not feel
- The Utah districts where your child can enroll in online school, even if you don’t live there
- > Aug 2, 10:28 AM: As the new school year approaches, your kids may be eager to return in person to classrooms. Or you may have discovered during the pandemic that they are stronger students from home — more focused, or less anxious, or better able to
- Salt Lake City School District offers new online option for K-6 students
- > Jul 22, 10:52 AM: “One of the silver linings of the pandemic is that we learned new ways to do things and that we can be effective online,” he said. “And in fact, there are students and parents who need and/or want [school]