- Two Philly students now have seats on the school board
Student representatives do not have voting power, but they take part in all board discussions and gather information from peers across the city; last year’s board representatives helped select a new superintendent.
Sep 23, 7:40 AM:
- Montgomery students are meeting literacy expectations but are behind in math
Montgomery County students met the school system’s performance target in reading but fell short of goals in math for the last school year, according to academic data shared with the school board Thursday.
Sep 23, 7:34 AM:
- Addressing learning loss: What Omaha Public Schools is doing
Nebraska data shows a detailed picture of OPS students’ decline in English and math proficiencies as a result of the pandemic.
Sep 23, 7:33 AM:
- ‘A wonderful journey’: This Staten Island charter school is receiving $10K in arts funding
With construction of a new building on track to provide more seats for students at Hellenic Classical Charter School in Bulls Head, Borough President Vito Fossella announced more than $10,000 in arts funding to the school on >
Sep 22, 9:08 AM:
- How some children prospered in pandemic online learning
While media often seemed to report on negative aspects of online schooling, this was not a universal experience.
Aug 2, 10:20 AM:
- Menasha's Fox Valley Virtual School is here to stay, and ready to grow with a recent $650,000 grant
- > Jul 12, 8:40 AM: Enrollment isn’t quite where it was during the height of the pandemic, dropping to fewer than 100 students last year, but the 4K-through-eighth-grade virtual school is now a charter school and a permanent fixture in the
- Jill Biden to headline teachers union convention
- Jul 12, 8:32 AM: First lady Jill Biden will headline the American Federation of Teachers Convention in Boston on Friday, marking the convention’s first in-person gathering since 2018.
- Charter School Foundation awards scholarships
- > Jul 8, 9:03 AM: The Charter School of Morgan Hill Foundation has awarded scholarships to graduating high school students who are alumni of the Charter School of Morgan Hill, for use in their pursuit of undergraduate degrees at their chosen
- Knox Co. college readiness program expanding across Tennessee
- Jun 29, 10:12 AM: The Knox Promise program started in 2019 and supports students as they transition from high school into college.
- Tucson Unified sees second year of high demand for summer courses
- Jun 27, 7:54 AM: Tucson Unified School District saw one of its highest summer school enrollment numbers this year, with more than 11,000 students in grades K-12 taking classes during June.
- Boston Public Schools moves forward in finding a new leader. Meet the two finalists
Dr. Tommy Welch, Region 1 school superintendent (K-12), Boston Public Schools, and Mary Skipper, superintendent of Somerville Public Schools, were announced as finalists for the position of BPS superintendent Tuesday.
Jun 22, 8:33 AM:
- 9 charts that explain Denver’s declining enrollment challenge
- Jun 9, 7:50 AM: Declining enrollment is arguably the most pressing issue facing Denver Public Schools, and the district’s latest annual report takes a deep dive into current numbers and future predictions.
- A Camden school reflects on a full year with mandatory masks: ‘We’re used to it’
The Camden school system, which enrolls about 5,100 students in its 15 traditional public schools, will wrap up the 2021-22 school year in two weeks with a mask requirement still in place for all students and teachers.
Jun 9, 7:32 AM:
- Ocean Hill charter school introduces educator fellowship to curb teacher shortage
- Jun 9, 7:17 AM: A charter school in Ocean Hill is hoping to reverse the nationwide teacher shortage problem with a program to prepare college students for future teaching roles.
- Foxboro charter school grad focuses on seizing each day, helping to empower others
- Jun 9, 7:14 AM: Tayla Alfred has learned a lot in her career at the charter school in Foxboro. At least one of those lessons has been that not all maladies are visible.
- Charter School Focused On Construction Field Going Up In Sacramento
- Jun 8, 10:12 AM: The soon-to-be charter school wants to expose students to higher education, but if college isn’t an interest, you can explore jobs within the construction trade.
- Audit: Teachers in New Orleans are less likely to be certified
- Jun 8, 10:08 AM: Teachers in Orleans Parish are over four times more likely to be uncertified than teachers throughout Louisiana, according to a recent report from the Louisiana Legislative Auditor.
- Chicago Public Schools plans to spend nearly $10 billion next school year
- > Jun 8, 10:01 AM: Chicago Public Schools on Tuesday released its proposed $9.5 billion budget for the next school year, a spending plan that’s $200 million more than this year even though the district continues to experience enrollment
- Chuuk charter school aims to revive loom weaving
An innovative charter school is re-introducing old cultural skills to students on Weno, capital of the most populous state in the Federated States of Micronesia.
Jun 7, 8:52 AM:
- It’s time to get progressive about education
- Jun 6, 9:06 AM: Why are progressives, who fashion themselves the arbiters of protecting vulnerable children, so against policies that allow state money to fund the child, instead of the system?