- HISD trustees clear path for quicker approval of charter partnerships
- Apr 13, 7:16 AM: Houston ISD trustees cleared the way Thursday for expediting approval of in-district charter agreements that would help HISD avoid major state sanctions.
- Editorial: Rethink how voters elect the HISD board
- Apr 11, 5:41 AM: While the future of the Houston Independent School District remains in flux, it is worth pointing out that those hoping for a state takeover to help solve student performance problems are almost certain to be disappointed.
- Letter: Though once rejected, school choice benefited my family
- Apr 9, 6:45 AM: The topic of school choice is more popular than ever before. Like all policies and beliefs, there are positive and negative sides to this movement.
- Austin trustees have choice of 2 partners to save Mendez Middle School
- Apr 9, 5:16 AM: Two nonprofits active in Austin schools that have stepped forward to help turn around Mendez Middle School. Austin Voices for Education and Youth and Communities in Schools have provided resources to AISD for years.
- Editorial: Close a loophole that rescues failing charter schools
- > Apr 6, 6:25 AM: The Texas Legislature should act in conjunction with Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath to plug the loophole that allows a failing school to stay on the public dole by merely becoming an in-district charter. Not only does the
- Two potential partners offer help to save Austin’s Mendez Middle School
But new state law Senate Bill 1882 would give the school a two-year reprieve from state sanctions and more money per student if the district partners with a charter school operator or another outside entity. Parents and community >
Apr 6, 6:14 AM:
- School choice favors HISD campuses in whiter neighborhoods
- > Apr 6, 5:42 AM: Tensions over magnet programs and school choice flared again in January after former Superintendent Richard Carranza proposed overhauling HISD’s system in an effort to provide high-quality magnet programs in every corner of the
- Commentary: Dallas ISD is great, but Dallas families aren't hearing that story
- > Apr 5, 5:03 AM: Our state elected officials have neglected the least among us and refused to adequately fund our public schools. Charter schools are siphoning off an ever-increasing share of potential Dallas ISD students. Many of the district's
- Second Victory Prep charter school to close after running out of money
- > Apr 3, 7:17 AM: Less than 2 months after Houston ISD in-district charter school Victory Prep North abruptly closed after running out of money, Victory Prep South notified Houston ISD officials that it did not have enough funds to finish out the
- New charter program to take affect next year at Highlands High School
- Mar 29, 6:48 AM: A new charter pilot program at Highlands High School is geared toward helping 250 students who are at least one year behind in school.
- Editorial: State takeover of board of trustees of HISD is inevitable
- > Mar 29, 5:04 AM: It will be a sad day for democracy if our elected school governance system is replaced by an appointed one, but it may be inevitable, especially given former HISD Superintendent Richard Carranza’s abrupt departure this
- SAISD board okays another charter partnership
- > Mar 28, 5:59 AM: San Antonio Independent School District trustees Monday unanimously approved the district’s second partnership with a charter school in as many weeks, creating a school for over-age students that will operate starting next school
- SISD: Loss of students to charter schools could cost district thousands
- > Mar 28, 4:32 AM: Both charter networks are looking into opening at least one more campus each. SISD officials say the district is losing money for every student that leaves to attend the charter schools. Just how much? About $6,000 a year per
- Baylor, Waco ISD teaching partnership earns national accolade
- Mar 26, 7:08 AM: A partnership between Waco Independent School District and Baylor University is getting national attention for its ability to prepare future teachers through field experience in Waco schools.
- Granted a school, charter network begins wooing community
- > Mar 26, 5:16 AM: Mohammed Choudhury, SAISD’s chief innovation officer, recruited the charter after hearing of its school turnaround record in New York and New Jersey. If Democracy Prep does the same with Stewart, it can expand its SAISD footprint to
- Charter school partners with TAMUSA for early college high school program
- > Mar 23, 6:06 AM: Starting this fall, students at the charter network’s Northwest campus will be able to begin earning up to 60 credit hours toward a four-year college degree while directly attending classes on the university’s campus. By the time
- Two more neighborhood schools are consolidated as Dallas ISD moves forward on new school choice options
- > Mar 23, 5:36 AM: The consolidations were done in tandem with creating new specialized schools at the existing facilities. After moving its students and some of its current staff, including a popular principal, to nearby Maple Lawn Elementary,
- Save our small school — it's a winner, parents urge Dallas ISD
- Mar 21, 7:25 AM: Upset families packed Sam Houston Elementary on Tuesday night, all fighting to keep their children at the small school that trustees plan to close. It may be too late.
- Law thwarts public schools’ effort to exclude vendors who work with charter schools
- Mar 21, 5:07 AM: Public school districts earlier this year sought to exclude vendors from contracts based on a company’s work for charter schools, according to emails and documents obtained by The Texas Monitor.
- Richardson ISD looks to Dallas for inspiration for its new turnaround program
- Mar 20, 5:42 AM: Faced with a handful of struggling campuses, Richardson ISD is looking to Dallas ISD’s Accelerating Campus Excellence plan as a blueprint for its new school turnaround program.