- Many Texas school districts are relying on their own talent to run controversial charter partnerships
- Oct 15, 7:14 AM: Texas school districts using a new state law to pursue innovative partnerships with charters have turned to familiar faces to run them.
- Longview ISD districtwide charter meetings attempt to clarify plans
- > Oct 15, 5:46 AM: After three of four planned town hall-style meetings about converting the rest of Longview ISD’s campuses to a private charter school system, two things have become clear: Longview ISD has learned parents and others still have
- Texas is spending millions to bring the "portfolio model" to its schools. The strategy has led to teacher strikes in other states.
- > Oct 10, 6:05 AM: Texas is encouraging its school districts to drastically change how they manage their campuses — an effort to quickly cut down the number that are low-performing. It is spending more than $20 million a year in state and federal
- Biggest crowd yet for Longview ISD town halls wants to know why district wants charter schools
- Oct 9, 6:34 AM: Parents and community members attending the largest-yet Longview ISD town hall about a districtwide charter proposal wanted to know Tuesday why the district is even pursuing the charter schools.
- Editorial: Good riddance to Booker T. suburban cheaters, but DISD’s successful programs can woo parents the right way
- Sep 26, 5:24 AM: We strongly support Dallas school leaders’ crackdown on suburban parents who have cheated to get their kids into the prestigious Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts.
- Longview ISD hosts first town hall for district-wide charter proposal
- > Sep 24, 6:25 AM: Longview ISD has been on a steep learning curve the past year as it converted about half its campuses to charter schools, its board president said Monday. Now, the district wants to apply what it learned to the possibility of taking
- Opinion: State takeover of school districts can sometimes be just what’s needed
- > Sep 19, 5:49 AM: A possible state takeover of schools in Houston has come under fire from critics on the right, who argue locals know best, and those on the left, who equate the loss of local control with a “dismantling of public
- Editorial: Don't miss your opportunity to learn, raise questions about Longview charter schools
- Sep 18, 7:13 AM: From late this month into early November, officials from Longview ISD will conduct a series of public meetings to explain the changes brought about by converting district campuses to charter schools.
- Charter school transparency rules: clear as mud but changing
- Sep 17, 6:18 AM: If you ask charter school leaders, they are treated exactly the same as public schools when it comes to legal requirements for public records and open meetings.
- Overnight success: Yeah, that’s not a thing
- > Sep 17, 5:57 AM: Turning a struggling school into a good one requires systemic, long-term commitment from every educator, parent and community member. It does not happen overnight. It needs the support of the entire community, and mostly, it needs
- Austin-area high schools hit record college readiness rate
- Sep 16, 6:41 AM: Austin-area school districts graduated the most college-ready seniors of any cohort in the past five years, preliminary data for the class of 2019 show.
- TEA: IDEA partnership is most logical ‘enforcement action’
- Sep 11, 5:19 AM: Midland ISD received letter from the education commissioner due to Travis Elementary’s fifth-straight failing ranking.
- Polls show school-choice options going mainstream
- Sep 10, 4:37 AM: According to the Mason-Dixon poll results, 74 percent of Texas voters support education savings accounts, 64 percent support tax credit scholarships, and 67 percent support federal tax credits.
- Charter schools fly below the radar on spending and transparency rules
- > Sep 6, 7:12 AM: It’s a treat to fly at the front of the plane, where seats are bigger and fares are roughly double the cost of a coach seat. But for the state’s most prolific charter school operator, first-class air travel is allowed. In addition,
- HISD isn’t all broken. Leaders should continue what works. [Editorial]
- > Aug 29, 5:45 AM: There is no magic formula for turning around a struggling school. No wave of a wand that can rejuvenate overburdened teachers. Or stock disadvantaged campuses with needed resources. Or help parents with two jobs and no college
- ‘It allows us to dream big:’ The fastest growing college in Texas fills a gap by focusing on homegrown students
- > Aug 27, 7:54 AM: Since Mong’s arrival, UNT-Dallas has added 1,600 students, transitioning from a majority part-time student population to a younger, majority full-time undergraduate body. The number of graduates from its undergraduate and graduate
- Texas lets struggling schools partner with nonprofits or charters for improvement. But many got Fs this year.
- > Aug 27, 6:03 AM: In fact, seven of the 12 schools across the state in similar partnerships with nonprofits or charters received F ratings this year, including four that, like Hearne Elementary, that could face state sanctions if they don't pass in
- Houston-area charters, traditional public schools post similar accountability scores
- > Aug 26, 7:50 AM: Houston’s largest, long-established charter school networks earned high marks under the state’s academic accountability system in 2019, while the region’s smaller and newest charters posted results ranging from perfect scores to
- Remedial Course Changes Show Signs of Success, Texas Higher Ed Officials Say
- > Aug 26, 7:06 AM: Two years ago, when Texas lawmakers reworked the way the state's colleges and universities handle remedial courses, they hoped to find a solution that would help students who weren't college-ready get up to speed in a way that
- Texas schools with more student poverty got the most Ds and Fs in state ratings
- Aug 22, 5:29 AM: Many Texas educators and advocates are frustrated in the week after the state released letter grades rating their school districts and campuses, as they work to decipher the potential impacts for their schools.